You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

27DDD92A-7FD0-4B66-ACC7-BE894005EDEE (resized).jpeg
IMG_5722 (resized).jpg
IMG_7565 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

So I have a Flash Gordon. The upper flipper stopped working completely. I checked all of the connections, made sure the lower right flipper switch was switching contacts like it should to engage the upper flipper. Nothing worked. I changed the original board to a Alltek MPU just to see. The upper started working! But not after too much time, went back to not working at all again. I’ve gone as far as I know with checking connections and seeing if the lower flipper switch works. If I engage the upper flipper contact on the lower flipper switch, the upper flipper should engage correct? What should I check next? Maybe I should reflow solder to the lower switch?

Thanks in advance

#2 6 years ago

Would not be a MPU issue, possibly solenoid driver. Check the coil, any binding?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Would not be a MPU issue, possibly solenoid driver. Check the coil, any binding?

Coil is perfect. Brand new actually. I’ll try swapping the original driver board with an Alltek.

#4 6 years ago

So, I changed out the solenoid driver board. When I turned the machine on both the lower right and upper flipper wouldn't work. After turning off and checking it out, I couldn't find anything wrong. I turned it back on and the lower works again, but the upper still does not. I've attached pictures of my lower switch. It seems fine right? Maybe there is a wiring issue to the driver board?

IMG_7565 (resized).jpgIMG_7565 (resized).jpg
IMG_5722 (resized).jpgIMG_5722 (resized).jpg

#5 6 years ago

Did you replace that coil for a reason? Check the wires to the lugs?

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Did you replace that coil for a reason? Check the wires to the lugs?

I didn't replace it. The machine was restored. All the wires to lugs are perfect. It was working at the beginning. Should I reflow solder or check something else?

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from spandol:

All the wires to lugs are perfect.

Check the wires to the switch on the lower coil.

27DDD92A-7FD0-4B66-ACC7-BE894005EDEE (resized).jpeg27DDD92A-7FD0-4B66-ACC7-BE894005EDEE (resized).jpeg

#8 6 years ago

Problem solved. Thanks everyone for your help. The lower switch seemed to be closing the circuit to the upper flipper, but one of the contacts looked a little tilted and not sitting flat against the other (seen in photo). I adjusted it with a switch adjuster and presto, it works.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
7,995 (OBO)
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-upper-flipper-dead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.