• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by PinRetail
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Howdy!
Trying to troubleshoot my Flash Gordon strobe light.
There is a small transformer which appears to supply power to the strobe board. I have 110 vac going in, but 0 coming out.
Assuming i need a new transformer??
But, before i just blindly replace it...
After doing some reading, my understanding is that strobe board needs 110 v...so why the transformer??

Thanks
Chris

#2 5 years ago

The transformer is necessary because the game could be wired for different line voltages.

Have you verified fuse F1 is good?

#3 5 years ago

Fuse is good.
So...since i am lucky enough to have US power, any reason not to eliminate the transformer and just run 110v straight to the strobe board?

#4 5 years ago

I have a feeling that transformer is also there for isolation so the strobe doesn't introduce noise back into your mains supply.

#5 5 years ago

Isn't that all filtered out through the rectifiers and that big cap on the solenoid driver board?

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from greenacarina:

Isn't that all filtered out through the rectifiers and that big cap on the solenoid driver board?

The trigger voltage on the xenon strobe lamp can be a few kilovolts and ignition draws high current. It will generate unwanted EMI which you don't interfering with the game and other household devices.
The rectifier board and big cap on the SDB are not there to filter voltage spikes.

Inspect that transformer, it's likely the winding has broken from one of the lugs - remove some of the paper covering if you need to get a better look.

Consider why Bally would add the expense of an extra 1 to 1 transformer on machines destined for the local market only. There must be a reason.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Consider why Bally would add the expense of an extra 1 to 1 transformer on machines destined for the local market only. There must be a reason.

Because purchasing got a closeout special on isolation transformers?

Actually, Isolation transformers were used on Flash G(not Xenon, typo), and Firepower for the florescent tube. At the time it was a UL requirement. With the Isolation there is no physical path to ground and it minimizes the electrocution hazard of having 110v AC on the backbox.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

With the Isolation there is no physical path to ground and it minimizes the electrocution hazard of having 110v AC on the backbox.

Bingo...that is why operating rooms use isolation transformers for all the power in the room. No way to ground the patient. Go back 50-60 years ago, it was a different (unsafe) story. And no, Ralph Nader didn't figure this out.

#9 4 years ago

Good info guys. Thanks!
I will check under the paper on this thing.
If it turns out to be bad, who sells a replacement?

Thanks
Chris

3 years later
#10 1 year ago

Just reviving this. Working on A FG. The strobe is good. The transformer is bypassed as it's missing. The strobe still doesn't work.
Just wondering if anyone sells a replacement?
Can a video game isolation transformer be used?
Thanks in advance!

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Just reviving this. Working on A FG. The strobe is good. The transformer is bypassed as it's missing. The strobe still doesn't work.
Just wondering if anyone sells a replacement?
Can a video game isolation transformer be used?
Thanks in advance!

There is a general isolation transformer for the strobe, if you want I have a new one at home and will see if I can find it.

#12 1 year ago

It needs the transformer to supply the 110v. Any 110 to 110AC isolation transformer will work(5 amps) They're cheap on Ebay. or 115v

#13 1 year ago

Sounds good. Thanks for the help! Customer has 120vac at a known working strobe bd but the transformer is bypassed. I figured it would still work but the strobe must like isolated 120vac.

11 months later
#14 41 days ago
Quoted from jj44114:

It needs the transformer to supply the 110v. Any 110 to 110AC isolation transformer will work(5 amps) They're cheap on Ebay. or 115v

Could you link to one that would work? I’ve been trying to find a replacement.

#15 41 days ago
Quoted from hodgesm0:

Could you link to one that would work? I’ve been trying to find a replacement.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/triad-magnetics/N-68X/1887210?utm_adgroup=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax%20Shopping_Product_Low%20ROAS%20Categories&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_id=go_cmp-20243063506_adg-_ad-__dev-c_ext-_prd-1887210_sig-CjwKCAiAxaCvBhBaEiwAvsLmWD2AUi1cQHzwxh7-Jc_Bp_gG2yvUKmRPZxXRlurZicv7m7XM3ZimDBoCk2cQAvD_BwE&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAxaCvBhBaEiwAvsLmWD2AUi1cQHzwxh7-Jc_Bp_gG2yvUKmRPZxXRlurZicv7m7XM3ZimDBoCk2cQAvD_BwE

This only supplies about .45 Amps of current, but should be fine for power requirements under 50 watts.

I'm not familiar with the game, or how it's wired, but since it's described as a 'small transformer', this is what I'd use. Put a fuse on it, 1/2 amp, and see if the fuse blows.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 179.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-transformer?hl=quench and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.