View topic image gallery

diode_(resized).jpg
Your_tilt_switch_picture_(resized).jpg
Your_tilt_switch_picture_(resized).jpg
Tilt_switch_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

During play my flippers went dead and most of the play field. Some lights are on and four that don't make me happy spell "TILT". I turned the machine off and on and no sound, limited lights and TILT. I have the manual and looked in troubleshooting but nothing addresses this particular failure. Does anybody have any suggestions to save the day on what's supposed to be a rainy weekend? Please help, I'm new to this forum but I hope someone out there can suggest something.

#2 8 years ago

First i would check the abviuos... the tilt bob on left hand side of cabinet then start with your slam tilt switches....one on the door and one under playfield and make sure they are not shorted or touching.

#3 8 years ago

The tilt bob doesn't look out of place. I didn't shake it on any of the balls that played before the machine went TILT. I'll check the slam tilt switches.
Shoot I don't know what I'm looking at. Is the slam tilt supposed to be touching the door? I saw a connector by the tilt bob that looked like it might have been touching the tilt bob so I tied that off and still when I start the machine, no sound, few lights and TILT. Dammit Janet.

#4 8 years ago

I bet it's a shorted capacitor on one of the tilts. Cut that sucker off and I bet it goes away. Todd

#5 8 years ago

Todd, what do you mean cut the capacitor off? Are you talking about the capacitor near the tilt bob or the slam tilt? I'm not really familiar with the guts of this machine. I've done minor maintenance like fixing broken Thumper Bumper Caps and Flipper Rubbers but capacitors are over my head in knowledge.
I just got back from the beach and see our Wings got shellacked in a big way by the damn Penguins. Dang it, no pinball and most likely no playoffs.

#6 8 years ago

The tilt switches look like this. There is no capacitor on there but if there was it would be Soldered between two lugs on the end of the switch. Usually green or yellow disc shaped and not to be confused with a diode which is pictured soldered between lugs.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#7 8 years ago

Here's a capacitor that's been cut off on one end.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#8 8 years ago

Yep, that's a perfect picture, cut the cap not the diode that has a black end. Most are green, I think I've seen orange and red to. Cut that off and I bet you are back and running.

#9 8 years ago

Right here?

Tilt_switch_(resized).jpgTilt_switch_(resized).jpg

#10 8 years ago

I looked at the tilt switch on the side of the machine by the tilt itself and I don't see that either. I see this wire. Will cutting that help me out?

Your_tilt_switch_picture_(resized).jpgYour_tilt_switch_picture_(resized).jpg

Your_tilt_switch_picture_(resized).jpgYour_tilt_switch_picture_(resized).jpg

#11 8 years ago

Make sure wire of the diode on the switch is not touching the metal backing of the coin door (start button switch as well), part of what Stretch7 was pointing out, (see photo of my slam tilt switch). If it was touching, I would check the fuses on the rectifier board in case one blew.

diode_(resized).jpgdiode_(resized).jpg

#12 8 years ago

4 lights on during reset is a classic bally slam-tilt.
Perhaps just a switch making early contact.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,995 (OBO)
Boards
Troxel Repair

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 99.00
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-tilt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.