IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tktlwyr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#690 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Well I'm still moving forward with completion of FG. A few current issues I'm trying to work through. I keep blowing F5 fuse on the power supply. It will not blow if the playfield connector is not installed. Once installed it didn't instantly blow the fuse. I thought I had it solved when I hit the right flipper and the fuse blew. So I installed another fuse and had the playfield lifted. I turned on the machine and once it booted the fuse blew. So maybe not specifically related to the right flipper. But I'm assuming something grounded do to the playfield being in the upright position. I've attached a photo of my right flipper assembly. Anyone see any issues with wiring?
[quoted image]

F5 is the fuse for your general illumination bus. Although it also touches other connectors, you said it doesn’t blow when you unplug the playfield. This should be connector J1. Pins J1-1 and J1-4 go to the general illumination bus.

It could be a bad bulb, bad socket or a socket shorting on something else. If it blows when you hit the flippers, it’s probably shorting on something else.

Here’s the short that was plagueing the previous owner of my machine. The power distribution wire ran between a G.I. socket and a controlled lamp socket that were too close and the wire was not protected with shrink tube. Every time the game booted, the fuse would blow.

76368DC3-7694-4DD1-94E5-ADC531DC0626 (resized).jpeg76368DC3-7694-4DD1-94E5-ADC531DC0626 (resized).jpeg
#693 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I don't want to speak too soon, but I may have found my demon. I was scrutinizing the underside of the playfield and found several switches that the solder connections had been bumped and were close to touching. I have replaced the F5 fuse and so far, it has not blown while playing several games. I have GI, sound, and all inserts. I have to tweak my rollovers as I don't think they are working at the moment. I also realized I placed my flipper wire connections at the coil stop end, because that is how I removed them. So that will be another project. It looks like you bought that beautiful FG in Florida a couple months back. Congratulations @tktlwyer.

Glad you found the problem. They can be a bitch to find.

Yes, mine was the game from around Xmas time. Thank you! I made him a very fair offer plus a transformer that he needed to get his TAF running. The problems the game had were unrelated to him plugging the small transformer into the wrong plug on the power supply. The short I showed above, a bad bulb in the strobe board and a bunch of misadjusted switches...including the rollovers. It’s playing 100% right now but there a few other issues I need to address.

2 weeks later
#736 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Thanks guys!
Fortunately I was able to find mine yesterday after an extensive search. That's the problem when you start a project like this and don't finish it for a couple of years, the parts can go for a walk.

I started restoring my STTNG and life got in the way. Eight years later, I was done. Found all the parts.

5 months later
#934 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

2 interesting things happening here. Can you spot them?[quoted image]

No J1 connector and soldered directly to the bridge rectifier and the second rectifier burnt a hole thru the power module so a giant gallop of solder is patching the hole with a jumper to ground?

1 month later
#993 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Double checked voltage, and it was all good [all boards except the sound board are Alltek]. I unplugged the Pinpoint Strobe Board, and everything worked flawlessly. I kind of went over this before with the Alltek people and the Pinpoint folks, but they could not figure it out. Given the fact that the strobe messed with both the Bally and Alltek MPUs, it seems the issue is with the strobe or the machine [switch or something?]
Thoughts?

Alltek also doesn't make a rectifier board. What are you running for a rectifier board? Perhaps your issue lies there? Have you re-pinned your connectors?

I've got the PinPoint strobe board with Alltek Boards and a Rottendog rectifier board and have zero issues.

3 months later
#1115 4 years ago

I'm using the Pinpoint Electronics aftermarket strobe board with a full set of Alltek boards and a replacement Squalk and Talk with no issues.

6 months later
#1308 3 years ago

The linear flipper mechs suck and are lazy.

Just install classic Bally hardware and you’ll have what you’re looking for.

2 weeks later
#1332 3 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Perfect, thanks for the Information. I'm fairly certain I repined that connector, I will keep looking down the line

Just because you re-pinned the connector doesn’t mean that the connector isn’t the source of the problem.

Not a knock on you, but I have come across plenty of “re-pinned” connectors that needed to be re-pinned.

1 year later
#1869 2 years ago

You guys with strobe board issues should check the continuity of the traces on your strobe boards.

When my game arrived, one of the issues was a non-working Pinpoint strobe board. It had a burnt trace.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

7,995 (OBO)
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 199.95
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tktlwyr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club?tu=tktlwyr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.