IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 57.
#2301 11 months ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Finally a new Flash Gordon Strobe light and board is available.

Quoted from bluebomber:

It would be great if you didn't need to use the extra transformer for the flash as well

Indeed. My game is missing the strobe transformer and a friend has two project Flash Gordon games also both missing the strobe transformers.

Maybe a Rev 3.0 board can be made to bypass the "115VAC to 12VDC step-down buck converter module" with a generic 12VDC input.

#2302 11 months ago
Quoted from Quench:

Indeed. My game is missing the strobe transformer and a friend has two project Flash Gordon games also both missing the strobe transformers.
Maybe a Rev 3.0 board can be made to bypass the "115VAC to 12VDC step-down buck converter module" with a generic 12VDC input.

We normally design our replacement boards to be "plug-N-play" not requiring any wiring modifications.

The high voltage trigger transformer used on the original FG strobe is available from Homepin distributors (it is also used on our replacement AFM strobe board).

Problem is the transformer is electrically similar to an original FG strobe trigger transformer but is nothing like it physically. We could wire one in to work but most hobbyists couldn't and it would create a mess trying to help them - ask me how I know this!

Regarding the "12V option - it simply isn't worth the time or trouble making something that would basically need rewiring of the game - this will bring a lot of problems and just isn't worth it when we are selling a complete new, working, tested, fully functional plug and play board for a very good price.

#2303 11 months ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Redesigned without the troublesome old fashioned tube flash. The new led flash set up is brighter and should last "for ever".
Please note this board will only work with the original Bally boards. At the moment it will not work with Alltek boards. We are working with Alltek to fix this issue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1026-pinball-haus/08462-flash-gordon-bally-strobe-light-and-board
[quoted image]

This will be great once you get it working with the alltec boards.

#2304 11 months ago
Quoted from BioBa:

We normally design our replacement boards to be "plug-N-play" not requiring any wiring modifications.
The high voltage trigger transformer used on the original FG strobe is available from Homepin distributors (it is also used on our replacement AFM strobe board).
Problem is the transformer is electrically similar to an original FG strobe trigger transformer but is nothing like it physically. We could wire one in to work but most hobbyists couldn't and it would create a mess trying to help them - ask me how I know this!
Regarding the "12V option - it simply isn't worth the time or trouble making something that would basically need rewiring of the game - this will bring a lot of problems and just isn't worth it when we are selling a complete new, working, tested, fully functional plug and play board for a very good price.

I forgot to add that it is best to avoid adding ANY extra load onto the 5V and also the 12V power supply rails in ANY machine as these supply rails are already taxed to the max as it is.

This is another reason it's best to leave the strobe operating on the 115V as it is in the machine.

#2305 11 months ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Correct answer right there or you will be flooded with tech support calls.

#2306 11 months ago
Quoted from BioBa:

Redesigned without the troublesome old fashioned tube flash. The new led flash set up is brighter and should last "for ever".
Please note this board will only work with the original Bally boards. At the moment it will not work with Alltek boards. We are working with Alltek to fix this issue.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1026-pinball-haus/08462-flash-gordon-bally-strobe-light-and-board
[quoted image]

Awesome. When the allteck boards are supported I'd be in.

#2307 11 months ago

Anyone know which red plastic posts this game uses? GOing to order some for a playfield swap, but want to be sure before i place the order.

#2308 11 months ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Anyone know which red plastic posts this game uses? GOing to order some for a playfield swap, but want to be sure before i place the order.

https://www.pinballlife.com/pbl-300-0050-00-xx.html, I noticed the new posts were almost a 1/16 taller than my old ones but the old ones were almost smashed and shrunk. So then I order the 1" one and they were too short so go with the 1 3/16". Also if you want they also have the spacers that are under some of the plastic. https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0052-00

#2309 11 months ago

Thanks! Pinball Life has a whole 3 posts in stock in red lol. I'll have to keep an eye on when they restock.

#2310 11 months ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Thanks! Pinball Life has a whole 3 posts in stock in red lol. I'll have to keep an eye on when they restock.

these might work from Marco https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-952-7.

otherwise I have 36 1" posts I will sell for half price.

#2311 11 months ago

Borrowing a Flash Gordon and doing a bit of fettling on it.

What's with the 3" rubbers on the slings. They feel really loose. I put 2 1/2" titans on and they feel just right. Is this a common opinion or are they meant to be that loose?
(Sometimes manuals have errors right?)

#2312 11 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Borrowing a Flash Gordon and doing a bit of fettling on it.
What's with the 3" rubbers on the slings. They feel really loose. I put 2 1/2" titans on and they feel just right. Is this a common opinion or are they meant to be that loose?
(Sometimes manuals have errors right?)

I cant remember whats in mine, but If it feels better, them use them. I think 2 1/2 is pretty standard. Who cares what the manual says and yes, manuals have wrong info in them sometimes. I can't tell you how many times I've used a manual for a list of rubbers and end up with extras of a size, short of a size, or just end up not using a size.

#2313 11 months ago
Quoted from Vitty:

PB Resource has both sizes in stock.

Screenshot_20230513_232706_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230513_232706_Chrome (resized).jpg
#2314 11 months ago

Is it common to be available to back hand the left spinner (all the way to upper pf) and backhand right spinner all the way to bonus collect?

I remember seeing it done on streams but the FG I've got at the moment struggles, it's a new clear coated playfield (which might make a difference?) But has newly rebuilt flipper mechs .

The flippers are the older style with the metal shoe. I wonder if the later and more common plastic molded flippers would be lighter therefore offer more power? Or am I clutching at straws?

I've tried flipper alignment and seeing if the ball catches on anything.

#2315 11 months ago

When did you get a FG Dave? DaveTheTrain
Mine has the hardtop and plastic flippers, this is not common for me definitely the left would be very rare to occur, right up right is achievable but not something I aim for. Recently rebuilt flippers too.

#2316 11 months ago
Quoted from DaveTheTrain:

Is it common to be available to back hand the left spinner (all the way to upper pf) and backhand right spinner all the way to bonus collect?
I remember seeing it done on streams but the FG I've got at the moment struggles, it's a new clear coated playfield (which might make a difference?) But has newly rebuilt flipper mechs .
The flippers are the older style with the metal shoe. I wonder if the later and more common plastic molded flippers would be lighter therefore offer more power? Or am I clutching at straws?
I've tried flipper alignment and seeing if the ball catches on anything.

depends on how worn out your coil stops are. the more worn you get further motion, with new coil stops and shafts that are not mushroomed no you won't make that shot.

#2317 11 months ago
Quoted from Crewey:

When did you get a FG Dave? DaveTheTrain
Mine has the hardtop and plastic flippers, this is not common for me definitely the left would be very rare to occur, right up right is achievable but not something I aim for. Recently rebuilt flippers too.

It's not mine, it's a borrower but I'm doing a bit of a fiddle to get some of the shots nicer !

#2318 11 months ago

Send me a dm if you’re looking for a hardtop.

#2319 11 months ago

I can regularly backhand the right spinner to bonus collect, though the ball just makes it around the top bend. I don’t think I’ve ever backhanded the left spinner, at least not from a cradled position.

#2320 11 months ago

Got it backhanding both sides now! New flipper bats without the metal shoe worked. Amazing eh?

#2321 11 months ago

anyone looking to fix their stock flash board if it has a bad trigger coil. I was able to get mine working again with this trigger coil since mine was damaged. I had to bend the #1 pin a little but it worked perfect. https://theelectronicgoldmine.com/products/g19760?_pos=4&_sid=309e0d235&_ss=r

Also I found this as a replacement cap on the bottom of the board, it was hard to find. https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Cornell-Dubilier-CDE/225P10492XD3?qs=KXamAPGg%2FlyafcROBWZRFw%3D%3D&countryCode=US&currencyCode=USD

#2322 11 months ago

Out of curiosity could some drop bank switches or rebound switches in need of adjustment (for instance to close and making contact) cause the under the playfield protection 1amp 250v slo blo fuse pop?

If not what are some other typical causes of that?

#2323 11 months ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Out of curiosity could some drop bank switches or rebound switches in need of adjustment (for instance to close and making contact) cause the under the playfield protection 1amp 250v slo blo fuse pop?

Answer: most likely no.
Pop bumpers, sling shot kickers exceptions.

Quoted from digitaldocc:

If not what are some other typical causes of that?

bad coil diode...transistor failing... +5voltage going out of spec. burnt input regulation power pins...etc.

#2324 11 months ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Answer: most likely no.
Pop bumpers, sling shot kickers exceptions.

bad coil diode...transistor failing... +5voltage going out of spec. burnt input regulation power pins...etc.

Thanks for the leads to chase down.

#2325 10 months ago

Anyone happen to have a download link for the file that has all the Queen music/movie call outs as shown in this video? TIA

#2326 10 months ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Anyone happen to have a download link for the file that has all the Queen music/movie call outs as shown in this video? TIA

I'm guessing you need the sound replacement board. I love mine.

https://geeteoh.com/geeteoh/squawktalk.shtml

#2327 10 months ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

I'm guessing you need the sound replacement board. I love mine.
https://geeteoh.com/geeteoh/squawktalk.shtml

yup, all those sounds ship with the geeteoh board. great board!

#2328 10 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

yup, all those sounds ship with the geeteoh board. great board!

Awesome product. Love this board and the music and callouts. Easy to add additional callouts too.

#2329 10 months ago

Anyone have recommendations for other 80s pins similar to Flash Gordon in difficulty? This might be the hardest game I've ever owned, nastier than BSD.

#2330 10 months ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Anyone have recommendations for other 80s pins similar to Flash Gordon in difficulty? This might be the hardest game I've ever owned, nastier than BSD.

Paragon is brutal.

#2331 10 months ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Not an 80s game but I would compare this with TNA in terms of feel and gameplay.

#2332 10 months ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

Dragonfist

#2333 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Paragon is brutal.

I was going to say the same. I used to think FG was the hardest pin I’ve played until I got Paragon. It makes my ball times on FG seem like nice leisurely strolls on the beach by comparison.

#2334 10 months ago

While not a true pinball I found Baby Pac Man to be unplayable.

1 week later
#2335 10 months ago

What do you guys think a HUO Flash Gordon will go for? This thing is super nice just finished cleaning it up. It's got original mylar on it with very minimal bubbling.

#2336 10 months ago
70853517926__B22E218D-4E13-4B67-89E2-A6C980708966 (resized).jpeg70853517926__B22E218D-4E13-4B67-89E2-A6C980708966 (resized).jpegIMG_7832 (resized).jpegIMG_7832 (resized).jpeg
#2337 10 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

What do you guys think a HUO Flash Gordon will go for? This thing is super nice just finished cleaning it up. It's got original mylar on it with very minimal bubbling.

Man, that’s a beautiful pin! If I had not just finished a restoration on mine, I’d jump at it. But I digress. The link below was for a full restoration FG. He said absent having a TARDIS and going back in time that you wouldn’t find one as nice as his. Well, looks like you have a TARDIS. His is pending at $7,500. Not sure where you live (that can influence pricing), but north of $6k is not unreasonable in my opinion. Start high and see where it lands. Here is the link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/155468

#2338 10 months ago

I’d list at $7500 in that condition if the cabinet is as good as the playfield and bg. Incredible

#2339 10 months ago

Thanks guys, I’ll be listing it soon.

#2340 10 months ago

Has anyone ever had the pop bumpers register switch hits perfectly but the pop coils fire intermittently?

#2341 10 months ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Has anyone ever had the pop bumpers register switch hits perfectly but the pop coils fire intermittently?

My initial thought is the switch is gapped too close but I would guess you have already checked that.

#2342 10 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

My initial thought is the switch is gapped too close but I would guess you have already checked that.

Hasn't been that long since I adjusted the pop switches but ill double check. Now my outhole coil isn't firing with enough power to kick the ball out. I have all alltek boards in the backbox.

#2343 10 months ago
Quoted from zahner:

Man, that’s a beautiful pin! If I had not just finished a restoration on mine, I’d jump at it. But I digress. The link below was for a full restoration FG. He said absent having a TARDIS and going back in time that you wouldn’t find one as nice as his. Well, looks like you have a TARDIS. His is pending at $7,500. Not sure where you live (that can influence pricing), but north of $6k is not unreasonable in my opinion. Start high and see where it lands. Here is the link: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/155468

What is the Tardis?

#2345 10 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

What is the Tardis?

Time and Relative Dimension in Space.

Time Machine from Dr. Who. Disguised as a British police box.

#2346 10 months ago

Okay that make sense, but where is it on Flash Gordon?

#2347 10 months ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

Hasn't been that long since I adjusted the pop switches but ill double check. Now my outhole coil isn't firing with enough power to kick the ball out. I have all alltek boards in the backbox.

If you are getting proper voltages then check connectors. I make it a practice to repin every one on my classic Bally sterns if you haven’t done so already. Could also be a pia issue with the boards but we would need one of the board guys to weigh in there.

#2348 10 months ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Okay that make sense, but where is it on Flash Gordon?

I think he was making a joke and saying that you obviously went back in time to have a Flash Gordon that looked that nice. There’s no TARDIS on a FG.

#2349 10 months ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I think he was making a joke and saying that you obviously went back in time to have a Flash Gordon that looked that nice. There’s no TARDIS on a FG.

Lol, gotcha.. Yeah didn’t know what a Tardis was so now that helps with the joke..

#2350 10 months ago

Joined the club yesterday. Brought home a project Flash Gordon. I re-mounted the Voltage Regulator Solenoid Driver board. The game started up and played for a minute but the ball got stuck in the kick-out hole and wouldn't kick out. Not sure if I burned up a coil or component on the solenoid driver board. Didn't see any smoke. Will have to check it over for anything obvious. The flippers work, but none of the other coils seem to work. Drop target banks don't re-set now. Ball trough won't kick a ball out of the apron into the shooter lane. Pop bumpers don't work now.

Need to mount the coin door back to the hinge and fix the coin door wires and test buttons seem jammed. Noticed the tilt switches need to be remounted.

Playfield looks original, but has been at least touched up and clear coated. So I'm happy with that. Looks like the playfield switches were scoring. Hopefully it won't be too difficult to get fully functional. The Squawk and Talk board seemed to be working. Lots of voices and scoring noises. I don't remember hearing the background sound effect that increases frequency the longer you play a ball.

A couple of the displays have some funky digits.

IMG_3098[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3098[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3100[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3100[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3103[1] (resized).JPGIMG_3103[1] (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Boards
Troxel Repair

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 47 of 57.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/47 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.