IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6256 (resized).jpeg
Thumbnail (resized).png
IMG_20240228_124335477 (resized).jpg
66277047031__BE249FBD-B8DB-45D1-8EC8-5FE147B2324B (resized).jpeg
IMG_6646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6619 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,794 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 56.
#2201 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

What do you mean by "low voltage coil". They both essentially operate at the same voltage but different current levels.

Sorry, wrong terminology. They’re dual wound coils, one for the main flip and one for the hold. So if the hold “coil”/wind were to be defective, would that mean the lower current doesn’t kick in and it just holds at the high current?

Quoted from Quench:

On the lower right flipper mech, the secondary switch activates the upper flipper. Put something between that switch like some card to stop the switch closing denying the upper flipper from operating. That will help isolate which flipper has the problem.

Good idea. Will try that next.

#2202 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

. Put something between that switch like some card to stop the switch closing denying the upper flipper from operating. That will help isolate which flipper has the problem.

So that card trick did the trick, isolated the issue to the upper flipper. Which is odd because I hadn’t touched the upper flipper when the problems started. Anyway, at least it narrows it down.

#2203 1 year ago

Was a dodgy upper flipper coil! Swapped it out to a known good one and no fuse blowing. Probably the last thing I would have considered as I have never once had a bad/faulty coil. Thank you all for your help!

Now I’m curious what’s wrong with the coil? How do you diagnose that?

#2204 1 year ago

Here’s what a frustrating weekend of troubleshooting looks like lol……

AFAA772C-A7DA-47F6-A8B9-87066C31378D (resized).jpegAFAA772C-A7DA-47F6-A8B9-87066C31378D (resized).jpeg
#2205 1 year ago

Realised I never actually “joined” this club. Here’s my beauty. FG is such a great playing game, worth a weekend of troubleshooting. Easily one of the best playing Bally solid states for mine.

D2343605-DADB-4250-BCA3-B45B8042B826 (resized).jpegD2343605-DADB-4250-BCA3-B45B8042B826 (resized).jpegE639CF0F-DC7E-4F39-8A87-0731EE6CBECD (resized).jpegE639CF0F-DC7E-4F39-8A87-0731EE6CBECD (resized).jpegF9484602-C6A5-4CFB-93FF-B1FF16C1498C (resized).jpegF9484602-C6A5-4CFB-93FF-B1FF16C1498C (resized).jpeg
#2206 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Here’s what a frustrating weekend of troubleshooting looks like lol……

Time for a trip to Jaycar for a resettable circuit breaker modified like this to use for troubleshooting! Very handy to have a few of these with different values on hand.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-ss-wont-finish-game-initialization-after-7-flashes-elektra-1#post-1036790

https://www.jaycar.com.au/5-amp-circuit-breaker/p/SF2254

#2207 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Now I’m curious what’s wrong with the coil? How do you diagnose that?

Measure the resistance between the middle lug and each outer lug. You should get the following readings:

Flipper_Coil_resistances.pngFlipper_Coil_resistances.png

#2208 1 year ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Time for a trip to Jaycar for a resettable circuit breaker modified like this to use for troubleshooting! Very handy to have a few of these with different values on hand.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-ss-wont-finish-game-initialization-after-7-flashes-elektra-1#post-1036790
https://www.jaycar.com.au/5-amp-circuit-breaker/p/SF2254

Ha, yep, that would have been a great help. Had to make a trip to Jaycar to top up on fuses anyway. At least I know for next time.

#2209 1 year ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Had to make a trip to Jaycar to top up on fuses anyway.

Did you install a fast blow fuse back at F4 on the rectifier board? It's not supposed to be slow blow.

#2210 1 year ago

Finally finished a pf swap, bought the pf 9 years ago

Im not happy with the plastic set I got from cpr, there are lots off bubbles in the top layer. Has anyone else bought plastics from them recently have this issue?

58562934-E18B-448C-9F17-5C3944DDABF7 (resized).jpeg58562934-E18B-448C-9F17-5C3944DDABF7 (resized).jpegEB265744-716A-450C-88D8-FCE7FDBAE697 (resized).jpegEB265744-716A-450C-88D8-FCE7FDBAE697 (resized).jpeg
#2211 1 year ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Finally finished a pf swap, bought the pf 9 years ago
Im not happy with the plastic set I got from cpr, there are lots off bubbles in the top layer. Has anyone else bought plastics from them recently have this issue?[quoted image][quoted image]

Never heard of that... You peeled the film from both sides?

Have any close ups of the plastics? Only other idea is if they were subjected to high heat?

#2212 1 year ago
Quoted from koji:

Never heard of that... You peeled the film from both sides?
Have any close ups of the plastics? Only other idea is if they were subjected to high heat?

Yeah I peeled both sides

Ill get a pic tonight

#2213 1 year ago

No problems on my CPR plastics, they’re really nice.

#2214 1 year ago

Here’s a few pics… Anyone seen this before?
CPR is gonna take a look and get back to me. Ive always used their plastics and never had an issue before, prolly just a bad sheet.

2AB67F23-4C17-495C-831B-2523D3B12522 (resized).jpeg2AB67F23-4C17-495C-831B-2523D3B12522 (resized).jpeg79FE43F2-0AF0-4A0D-B6B5-FADFA111C2FD (resized).jpeg79FE43F2-0AF0-4A0D-B6B5-FADFA111C2FD (resized).jpegEEBF3006-702A-4C29-AF90-482A33685390 (resized).jpegEEBF3006-702A-4C29-AF90-482A33685390 (resized).jpegF9185251-6273-4232-AF9B-70CC0DBB9100 (resized).jpegF9185251-6273-4232-AF9B-70CC0DBB9100 (resized).jpeg
#2215 1 year ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Here’s a few pics… Anyone seen this before?
CPR is gonna take a look and get back to me. Ive always used their plastics and never had an issue before, prolly just a bad sheet.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Never seen that before. You *sure* you removed ALL the protective plastic wrap stuff? It looks like there might still be another layer on there.

#2216 1 year ago

Yeah I pulled the film off both sides as you can see in the first pic. I tried cleaning with isopropyl and with citrus too. Not my first rodeo. They are bubbles inside the plastic, hard to photograph with my potato phone. CPR looked at the pics and said its occlusions from the manufacture. Looks like the sheet maybe cooled too fast/slow. They are sending me another set. Great customer service from CPR

#2217 1 year ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Yeah I pulled the film off both sides as you can see in the first pic. I tried cleaning with isopropyl and with citrus too. Not my first rodeo. They are bubbles inside the plastic, hard to photograph with my potato phone. CPR looked at the pics and said its occlusions from the manufacture. Looks like the sheet maybe cooled too fast/slow. They are sending me another set. Great customer service from CPR

Crazy. now that I see that, I think I have seen something like that before on FG.. almost looked like someone brushed a clear over them.

If I had bought them new I would have checked it out.. I just assumed that a previous owner had done something to them.

Keep us posted on the CPR response.

Thanks!

#2218 1 year ago

Got one of Big Daddy's strobe boards and mounting brackets in, but they we out of the mounting hardware. I would appreciate it if someone could provide the length of the four plastic spacers mounted between the bracket and the board so I can get the right ones ordered? Thanks.

#2219 1 year ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

Got one of Big Daddy's strobe boards and mounting brackets in, but they we out of the mounting hardware. I would appreciate it if someone could provide the length of the four plastic spacers mounted between the bracket and the board so I can get the right ones ordered? Thanks.

didn't know they made more strobe boards, too bad I missed it. been trying to get mine working for a while.

they are 3/4 standoffs
https://www.pinballlife.com/pcb-standoffspacer-34.html

#2220 1 year ago

Here's my old strobe.... no surprise it wasn't working consistently. Big Daddy delivered last week and I put it in a couple days ago, flash gordon flashes again.

20230320_114340 (resized).jpg20230320_114340 (resized).jpg
#2221 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:Here's my old strobe.... no surprise it wasn't working consistently. Big Daddy delivered last week and I put it in a couple days ago, flash gordon flashes again.[quoted image]

want to sell your old board?

1 week later
#2222 1 year ago

I just joined the club recently and bought a very nice restored one. I saw a video of a fellow pinsider who sold his game earlier this year that had custom music from Queen on it. Love FG and Queen!! Didn't use geetoh board, but hot damn was it cool.

Bought geetoh's board which is being delivered. I know there are settings to unlock some music built in.

Has anyone "customized" their sound beyond what comes with? Please message me if you have. Very pumped to get this installed and would love Queen music tied in. Thank you.

#2223 1 year ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

I just joined the club recently and bought a very nice restored one. I saw a video of a fellow pinsider who sold his game earlier this year that had custom music from Queen on it. Love FG and Queen!! Didn't use geetoh board, but hot damn was it cool.
Bought geetoh's board which is being delivered. I know there are settings to unlock some music built in.
Has anyone "customized" their sound beyond what comes with? Please message me if you have. Very pumped to get this installed and would love Queen music tied in. Thank you.

I used some of these:

https://movie-sounds.org/superhero-movie-sound-clips/quotes-with-sound-clips-from-flash-gordon-1980/

"Oh, well, who wants to live forever?"

#2224 1 year ago

Thanks for the source. Is it easy to add these to the board? Board should be here in a week or less.

#2225 1 year ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Thanks for the source. Is it easy to add these to the board? Board should be here in a week or less.

Pretty easy if you don’t get fancy. I just dropped in files where files already were. The fellow who developed the board can help. I’m pretty basic with computer stuff (thus calling it “stuff”) and I got it to work.
Really cool addition to my favorite pinball.

#2226 1 year ago

Really just drop in files ? From the Geeteoh manual I read it as replacing audio required the exact same length audio snippets, so haven't attempted it.

#2227 1 year ago
Quoted from Crewey:

Really just drop in files ? From the Geeteoh manual I read it as replacing audio required the exact same length audio snippets, so haven't attempted it.

They don't have to be exactly the same length. Voices are more critical than sounds. I track the lengths of each sound playing so that I can do some basic rules. New sounds coming in will stop the previous sound. New voices coming in will stop sounds and queue up with other playing voices. If the lengths of the sounds and voices are different, they will overlap a little. It's worth a try though - may not hear a big difference.

#2228 1 year ago

The Geeteoh board uses the WavTrigger board as its sound source. It has a mini SD card on it full of uncompressed audio tracks. First thing I would do it make a copy of the tracks because it is easy to mess something up. WavTrigger will not work with a SD card larger than 32 GB. You can format larger ones down to 32GB if needed.

When replacing a track, use Audacity to save whatever file you have as an uncompressed WAV file. When you save it will ask you what metadata you want included in the file. You must clear all metadata. The WavTrigger is very fussy about meta data, usually it will refuse to play any of your tracks if even one has some meta data in it. Other times it will play oddly.

The other thing to do is open up some of the various tracks already included using Audacity and observe the waveform size. Make sure your new tracks are similar. Ctrl-A selects the track audio, then go to the Effect tab, and use the Amplify effect. There you increase/decrease the waveform. Then save. This will ensure your tracks are not oddly louder or quieter than the others.

The other thing is you may want to play with the track a bit. Since this is a pinball machine with multiple sound happening, sounds with large variations in volume within the one track may not sound great. You want roughly similar loudness throughout the track. Use the Audacity compressor for this. It is a signal compressor, nothing to do with data compression. Then set use Amplify as the last step, then save the track.

#2229 1 year ago

Thanks for all the tips. Excited to get started.

Is the main music that plays during gameplay as easily configurable?

#2230 1 year ago

The Geeteoh board uses the WavTrigger board as its sound source. It has a mini SD card on it full of uncompressed audio tracks. First thing I would do it make a copy of the tracks because it is easy to mess something up. WavTrigger will not work with a SD card larger than 32 GB. You can

I'm a mac user. Will investigate Audacity compatibility and check out

1 week later
#2231 11 months ago

Big Daddy has strobe boards back in stock. Looks to be a limited second run. Get one while you can.

684EF404-CF51-4092-B3C0-379DC657F572 (resized).jpeg684EF404-CF51-4092-B3C0-379DC657F572 (resized).jpeg
#2232 11 months ago

Has anyone recreated the apron stencil? I have a vinyl version, but I wanted to create one to use to either spray or try screen printing my apron. I recreated the shooter cover in thicker metal and it turned out well might try recreating the apron as well without the rolled depressions for the cards.

1 week later
#2233 11 months ago

re-made a couple medal pieces for FG, the Front Ball Trough and back ball trough that is under the apron , if you are in need just DM me. I also have a shoot lane cover that I recreated as well with no stencil.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2234 11 months ago

I recently joined the club after a long time searching. It's completely beat but I'm determined to bring it back to its former glory. Right now I'm prepping for hardtop install and have hit a couple snags. First question is how to remove the rear ball guides, they are riveted in. Second, I have an unruly post up by the pops, any trick to getting it out? Any advice on hardtop install would be greatly appreciated as well, I've never done one.

20230417_134854 (resized).jpg20230417_134854 (resized).jpg
#2235 11 months ago

They are riveted in, There screws to release the wood are under the playfield, mine were in decent shape I just pulled them out with the wood masked them and painted the wood black. Then polished and put back, in my case I was swapping playfields.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2236 11 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

They are riveted in, There screws to release the wood are under the playfield, mine were in decent shape I just pulled them out with the wood masked them and painted the wood black. Then polished and put back, in my case I was swapping playfields. [quoted image]

Thanks, that's easy enough. Your upper playfield looks amazing btw!

#2237 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Thanks, that's easy enough. Your upper playfield looks amazing btw!

Thanks, I am still finishing up but here it is with it almost complete. It was pretty ugly when I got it.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2238 11 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

They are riveted in, There screws to release the wood are under the playfield, mine were in decent shape I just pulled them out with the wood masked them and painted the wood black. Then polished and put back, in my case I was swapping playfields. [quoted image]

Ditto. They came out perfectly fine.
Super nice restoration!

#2239 11 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

Thanks, I am still finishing up but here it is with it almost complete. It was pretty ugly when I got it. [quoted image][quoted image]

By the way, I like the pop bumper skirts. Nice touch going with the red.

#2240 11 months ago

Are those radcals? I didn't think they made them for FG.

#2241 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

Are those radcals? I didn't think they made them for FG.

Pimp stencils, I painted it.

#2242 11 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

Pimp stencils, I painted it.

Nice Restore!
Would you mind sharing the paints you used?

#2243 11 months ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Nice Restore!
Would you mind sharing the paints you used?

I used Rustoleum for everything.
1 can "Pure Gold" Metallic, Only found this on amazon https://amzn.to/40iB88X
3 cans "Regal Red" https://amzn.to/3GRgR3m, I also had to pick this up at amazon, still have 3 cans left.
2 cans "Gloss Black" Home Depot or Ace hardware sells this.
1 can white for scoreboard behind the back glass.

I used a a couple cans of flat black on the inside. If you read back in some other post people had issues with bubbling or cracking when spraying the gold. I ran into some of those same issues and I think I finally figured it out.

First prep the cabinet and prime it with 1 - 2 coats of primer.
Second let the paint dry 3-4 days between colors. The cans them self say 24-48 hours but depending on weather and temp 3 - 4 days was crucial and I could totally feel the difference in the paint when I ran my finger across.
Third don't spray it too heavy.
fourth pull the stencil after about 8 min of drying, I prepped all sides to paint at the same time.

I did two coats of red to start and waited the full 4 days before starting the black. 1 can of the gold was barely enough to finish but I made it work. you don't need a thick coat of the gold to make it look good.

and also for the front stencil they say to use a board or something to back it. I didn't even use it for the black. just mask straight across so your lines meet the other side, and then when doing the gold I just cut out the center then masked from the inside so I didn't spray my nice flat black interior.

#2244 11 months ago

Thanks for the info!
I think the gold looks better than the recommended yellow.

#2245 11 months ago
Quoted from bballfan:

Thanks for the info!
I think the gold looks better than the recommended yellow.

yeah, I looked at all the other restores I could find and I liked the gold over the yellow.

#2246 11 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

yeah, I looked at all the other restores I could find and I liked the gold over the yellow.

The gold is what threw me off and made me think radcals. It looks incredible. Did you use fiberglass resin to fill in damaged areas? I have a few scratches and small holes to fill in but also a big chunk out of the bottom of the back. Not sure what to do with that.

#2247 11 months ago
Quoted from sullivcd40:

The gold is what threw me off and made me think radcals. It looks incredible. Did you use fiberglass resin to fill in damaged areas? I have a few scratches and small holes to fill in but also a big chunk out of the bottom of the back. Not sure what to do with that.

I did use just a wood bondo resin from Home Depot.

#2248 11 months ago
Quoted from Jmxdc:

I used Rustoleum for everything.
1 can "Pure Gold" Metallic, Only found this on amazon https://amzn.to/40iB88X
3 cans "Regal Red" https://amzn.to/3GRgR3m, I also had to pick this up at amazon, still have 3 cans left.
2 cans "Gloss Black" Home Depot or Ace hardware sells this.
1 can white for scoreboard behind the back glass.
I used a a couple cans of flat black on the inside. If you read back in some other post people had issues with bubbling or cracking when spraying the gold. I ran into some of those same issues and I think I finally figured it out.
First prep the cabinet and prime it with 1 - 2 coats of primer.
Second let the paint dry 3-4 days between colors. The cans them self say 24-48 hours but depending on weather and temp 3 - 4 days was crucial and I could totally feel the difference in the paint when I ran my finger across.
Third don't spray it too heavy.
fourth pull the stencil after about 8 min of drying, I prepped all sides to paint at the same time.
I did two coats of red to start and waited the full 4 days before starting the black. 1 can of the gold was barely enough to finish but I made it work. you don't need a thick coat of the gold to make it look good.
and also for the front stencil they say to use a board or something to back it. I didn't even use it for the black. just mask straight across so your lines meet the other side, and then when doing the gold I just cut out the center then masked from the inside so I didn't spray my nice flat black interior.

I did pretty much the exact same process and paints on mine a few years ago. Drying time is crucial. I wet sanded between coats, and although I could wet sand easily within 12 hours, you have cut into the dried skin when you sand. Leave 48 hours after the wet sand before repainting. Made the same choice for gold, looks really good.

#2249 11 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I did pretty much the exact same process and paints on mine a few years ago. Drying time is crucial. I wet sanded between coats, and although I could wet sand easily within 12 hours, you have cut into the dried skin when you sand. Leave 48 hours after the wet sand before repainting. Made the same choice for gold, looks really good.

I almost forgot I did a light dry sand on red with like 220 just before spraying the black with the stencil in place. I didn't go crazy but just enough to rough up the texture and wipe with a damp shop towel or tack cloth to remove any debris and make sure it's dry before painting. I didn't want to leave the stencil on too long so I only waited about 20 min after dry sanding and wiping clean with damp cloth.

#2250 11 months ago

I've been part lazy and part afraid to restencil my cabinet. This information is helpful...I may do to yet this year! I've been putting it off for a couple years now

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 99.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom
Led
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 199.95
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 90.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 45.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
There are 2,794 posts in this topic. You are on page 45 of 56.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/45 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.