IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6256 (resized).jpeg
Thumbnail (resized).png
IMG_20240228_124335477 (resized).jpg
66277047031__BE249FBD-B8DB-45D1-8EC8-5FE147B2324B (resized).jpeg
IMG_6646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6619 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 56.
#1951 1 year ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Same with me, flasher use to work fine but then one day the pin would not boot with the flasher connected. Since then the original MPU board has been replaced. The PS board has been replaced. I've re-pinned every connector in the head. About to do a pf swap and replace the displays. But still no lick with the flasher, must be something bad (cap?) on the strobe board.

Caps and flash bulb are common, as are broken header pins on the aux board that drives the strobe activation.

#1952 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Caps and flash bulb are common, as are broken header pins on the aux board that drives the strobe activation.

For what it is worth, those parts are readily available and soldering these items was relatively easy as far as board work goes. Nice large pieces. The xenon bulb from AFM works, and can be gotten with long wires for $40. You can get the same thing without the wires for about $2, but my soldering skills are not that great. The caps were large and easy to work with.

#1953 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

For what it is worth, those parts are readily available and soldering these items was relatively easy as far as board work goes. Nice large pieces. The xenon bulb from AFM works, and can be gotten with long wires for $40. You can get the same thing without the wires for about $2, but my soldering skills are not that great. The caps were large and easy to work with.

I got one flash unit from a 7/11 disposable camera for $4, works great.

#1954 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I got one flash unit from a 7/11 disposable camera for $4, works great.

I'm not sure if the one in AFM is exactly the same, but it works great. It doesn't pick up well on camera, but it's bright... like leaving shadows in your eyesight bright.

#1955 1 year ago

I'm not sure if the one in AFM is exactly the same, but it works great. It doesn't pick up well on camera, but it's bright... like leaving shadows in your eyesight bright.

I have played around with a couple, they all look more or less the same to me.

FG is a great, tough game where the art on all three surfaces is firing on all cylinders.

#1956 1 year ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Same with me, flasher use to work fine but then one day the pin would not boot with the flasher connected. Since then the original MPU board has been replaced. The PS board has been replaced. I've re-pinned every connector in the head. About to do a pf swap and replace the displays. But still no lick with the flasher, must be something bad (cap?) on the strobe board.

I actually tested my strobe in another FG and it worked fine. I have the new replacement board/strobe. Ultimately, quite frustrating.

#1957 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

I actually tested my strobe in another FG and it worked fine. I have the new replacement board/strobe. Ultimately, quite frustrating.

Look at your aux board and the input/output pins. The flash unit is fired by the aux board. The aux board also runs the animated logo lamps and 2 pf lamps under Ming.

#1958 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Look at your aux board and the input/output pins. The flash unit is fired by the aux board. The aux board also runs the animated logo lamps and 2 pf lamps under Ming.

In concert with the Squawk and Talk. Re-Capping that one fixed any goofiness I had in my otherwise working Flasher.

#1959 1 year ago

O man... Flash Gordon is a great game for so many reasons. First of all, even though the actual art on the machine is just okay, the overall package makes it colorful and bright and ever so slightly garish, which fits in with the theme perfectly. I never knew the lettering in Flash in the backbox as shown above lit individually until I brought mine home and got it working 100%. Same with the ridiculously bright strobe in the backbox. As to the game itself, it is very challenging and fun. As a general rule, going for the in line standup targets to the extra ball is where my shots go when the ball is on the left flipper. When it is on the right it goes to hit the drop targets on the left, and then the spinner once lit. When the ball is on the upper playfield I try for the drops, but it is hit or miss. The sound on this though limited, is great. Overall this is an excellent pin with an excellent presentation. Pairs great with other games as it is fast and brutal. You can get a full game in on this in 5 minutes while LOTR and other games are great, but not good in short bursts.

Perfect analysis! I need to get one eventually. I just played 5 or 6 games of Flash Gordon this afternoon at Flippers in NC. I never get tired of it.

#1960 1 year ago
Quoted from guitarded:

In concert with the Squawk and Talk. Re-Capping that one fixed any goofiness I had in my otherwise working Flasher.

S&T should have no impact on strobe operation.

The strobe is treated just like any other controlled lamp by the Aux board as far as the MPU is concerned.

1 week later
#1961 1 year ago

Help, plz:

I scanned the comments, but couldn’t find: Does this feature the original score by Queen, as well as any call-outs by Max Von Sydow? (“Gordon’s Alive!!” etc?)

I spent 100+ hours watching this movie with my (now adult) sons at the theater, on the original c.d. Video discs, Laser Disc, & now with grandkids on blu-ray. Love everything about it, tongue in cheek or not! Yes, I’m that old…

If so, the audio + the great gameplay reviews are going to put this on my bucket list.

If only there was a Highlander pin with Queen’s Soundtrack & the highlights from the first 2 movies!

Thank you!

#1962 1 year ago
Quoted from -Gramps:

Help, plz:
I scanned the comments, but couldn’t find: Does this feature the original score by Queen, as well as any call-outs by Max Von Sydow? (“Gordon’s Alive!!” etc?)
I spent 100+ hours watching this movie with my (now adult) sons at the theater, on the original c.d. Video discs, Laser Disc, & now with grandkids on blu-ray. Love everything about it, tongue in cheek or not! Yes, I’m that old…
If so, the audio + the great gameplay reviews are going to put this on my bucket list.
If only there was a Highlander pin with Queen’s Soundtrack & the highlights from the first 2 movies!
Thank you!

No. This has old school sound and synthetic voices. I love the movie as well, but the only thing movie like about the pin is the art package. Great playing pin, though. Brutally hard and very satisfying at the same time.

#1963 1 year ago
Quoted from -Gramps:

Help, plz:
Thank you!

Actually, there is a way to achieve this. I bought an aftermarket board that had the Queen music land movie callouts. It’s very cool. I’m going to modify it to add an additional callout, which you can do with this board. Look at your FG and determine if you have a squawk and talk or the older two board set - like I did. He offers different boards depending on what you have. Same electronics, just a different shape.
Look at:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-and-talk-replacement-sound-board-for-bally-flash-gordon#post-6198282

#1964 1 year ago

Sound bank 3 is now delivering with this (see link below) custom sound set. It has a lot of modified sound effects/quotes and a new background. You can select just a custom Attract Sound as well. I have this set to part of the Queen - Flash song.

https://geeteoh.com/geeteoh/squawktalk.shtml

#1965 1 year ago

Does anyone have a FG playfield parts list? I'll be doing a playfield swap and would like to order some new parts.
Yes, I could count them up, but I'm sure someone here has a list prepared...

Fantastic

#1966 1 year ago
Quoted from FantasticPinball:

Does anyone have a FG playfield parts list? I'll be doing a playfield swap and would like to order some new parts.
Yes, I could count them up, but I'm sure someone here has a list prepared...
Fantastic

Look here:

https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/tzut/#p=2

That’s the original parts catalog. Should have it all.
Is your original playfield set thrashed? I’m sort of loosely looking for a good candidate (cheap and thrashed) for a hardtop project.

Good luck with the swap. Share pictures.

1 week later
#1967 1 year ago

Weird thing happened to my Flash the other night that Ive never seen...I got a free ball. LOL Just Kidding.

When I first got the game and got it going the strobe light didnt work. I re-capped the Strobe unit and replaced a burnt resistor and the strobe light. It didnt fix it. I didnt pursue any other troubleshooting measures. I have a large collection so it doesnt get played for more than 5 minutes at a time and then shut off.
Last week I hosted a tournament and it worked fine, it was left on for the entire evening and shut off. One of the guys stayed after the tournament and turned it on to play it. The strobe unit flashed on power up. I thought Woah its working! But the problem was it kept flashing. And Flashing...and Blinding...and flashing... until we turned it off. We waited 10 seconds and turned it on...nothing, no flash but the game played fine. Tried a few more times same result. It hasnt Flashed since. Weird...

#1968 1 year ago
Quoted from zahner:

Look here:
https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/tzut/#p=2
That’s the original parts catalog. Should have it all.
Is your original playfield set thrashed? I’m sort of loosely looking for a good candidate (cheap and thrashed) for a hardtop project.
Good luck with the swap. Share pictures.

Where did you get your Hardtop? Im generally not a fan but my PF is Rough and not wanting to spend the 1k for a replacement...

#1969 1 year ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

Weird thing happened to my Flash the other night that Ive never seen...I got a free ball. LOL Just Kidding.
When I first got the game and got it going the strobe light didnt work. I re-capped the Strobe unit and replaced a burnt resistor and the strobe light. It didnt fix it. I didnt pursue any other troubleshooting measures. I have a large collection so it doesnt get played for more than 5 minutes at a time and then shut off.
Last week I hosted a tournament and it worked fine, it was left on for the entire evening and shut off. One of the guys stayed after the tournament and turned it on to play it. The strobe unit flashed on power up. I thought Woah its working! But the problem was it kept flashing. And Flashing...and Blinding...and flashing... until we turned it off. We waited 10 seconds and turned it on...nothing, no flash but the game played fine. Tried a few more times same result. It hasnt Flashed since. Weird...

Check connections at the Aux driver board.

#1970 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Check connections at the Aux driver board.

Yeah I think I didnt re pin them but I re-seated them originally.

#1971 1 year ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

Yeah I think I didnt re pin them but I re-seated them originally.

Check for cracked pin connections too.

2 weeks later
#1972 1 year ago

Please help if you can. I need advice on how to repair wrecked screw holes and underside wood on my FG #8396 with a CPR gold 2013 playfield.

This PF changeover was pretty wonky and I spent some time correcting things on the PF before installing it. I don't know why, but I totally missed how poorly the "Wood Beast" DTA was installed. 20220704_224122 (resized).jpg20220704_224122 (resized).jpg

How should I prep the damaged area? I was planning on using bondo glass, but is there something else or something better to use? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, mk

20220704_224144 (resized).jpg20220704_224144 (resized).jpg20220704_224215 (resized).jpg20220704_224215 (resized).jpg20220704_225104 (resized).jpg20220704_225104 (resized).jpg20220704_225112 (resized).jpg20220704_225112 (resized).jpg
#1973 1 year ago
Quoted from mkdud:

Please help if you can. I need advice on how to repair wrecked screw holes and underside wood on my FG #8396 with a CPR gold 2013 playfield.
This PF changeover was pretty wonky and I spent some time correcting things on the PF before installing it. I don't know why, but I totally missed how poorly the "Wood Beast" DTA was installed. [quoted image]
How should I prep the damaged area? I was planning on using bondo glass, but is there something else or something better to use? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, mk[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If it was me, I'd use toothpicks and wooden chopsticks covered in wood glue to plug those holes then sand them down and re attach from there. Others will weigh in with better ideas.

#1974 1 year ago

If it was me, I'd use toothpicks and wooden chopsticks covered in wood glue to plug those holes then sand them down and re attach from there. Others will weigh in with better ideas.

Yep. I’ve done that before and fixes stripped screw holes quite well.

#1975 1 year ago

After 2 years my FG will be flipping again soon. A CPR rescreen, new everything including Cliffy ramps and new lane guides. Fully done cabinet with clearcoat and fully detailed. More pics to come.

20220709_195931 (resized).jpg20220709_195931 (resized).jpg20220709_195953 (resized).jpg20220709_195953 (resized).jpg20220709_200033 (resized).jpg20220709_200033 (resized).jpg

#1976 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

After 2 years my FG will be flipping again soon. A CPR rescreen, new everything including Cliffy ramps and new lane guides. Fully done cabinet with clearcoat and fully detailed. More pics to come.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looking good!

#1978 1 year ago

I have some FG parts leftover from a restore I did. Wondering if anyone might want to purchase any. I have the worn out playfield with all the lamps and rails still attached, decent but not perfect backglass, apron, and perhaps a few other things. I’m in the Cincinnati area for pickup.

#1979 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice job!!
Cliffy also makes in-lane guides as well. I see you have some wear on yours (can't tell how bad from pics though). This will cause some ball hop to your flippers. Worth changing those on a restoration.

#1980 1 year ago

I may be buying a FG Sunday. Nice condition too! I hope I don't regret this as I know it's a brutal game LOL! I have played it before, but not enough to know it intimately. It sure is a beauty!!

#1981 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I may be buying a FG Sunday. Nice condition too! I hope I don't regret this as I know it's a brutal game LOL! I have played it before, but not enough to know it intimately. It sure is a beauty!!

The brutality is the fun. And, after playing it for a while, you get used to it. I definitely think there are harder pins. FG is great. You won’t regret it.

#1982 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Quoted from Nokoro:

The brutality is the fun. And, after playing it for a while, you get used to it. I definitely think there are harder pins. FG is great. You won’t regret it.

Flash Gordon is a fantastic variety pin because it is such a butt kicker. If I were to play the Hobbit, I'd need at least a 45 minute block just in case I had a really good game. If I am going to play Flash Gordon, I need a 5 minute block just in case I have a really great game. Skills like post passing are critical if you are going to get anywhere on Flash. It is a great "git gud" game.

#1983 1 year ago

Flash Gordon is a fantastic variety pin because it is such a butt kicker. If I were to play the Hobbit, I'd need at least a 45 minute block just in case I had a really good game. If I am going to play Flash Gordon, I need a 5 minute block just in case I have a really great game. Skills like post passing are critical if you are going to get anywhere on Flash. It is a great "git gud" game.

Post passing and being very deliberate in your shots, wild players need not apply.

#1984 1 year ago

Ya, I watched Bowen Kernis tutorial on it. Post passing is hard on this game even to him due to position of posts. My Gorgar is brutal. Outlanes are really hungry, that's why these classics are great for multiplayer LOL!
I was never good enough on Hobbit to have ball times anywhere near that long. The secret to Hobbit is setting the pitch high or it plays floaty and shitty. I have mine at 7.2. Then adjust flipper power to compensate.

#1985 1 year ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Post passing and being very deliberate in your shots, wild players need not apply.

LOL!
That's how my ACNC was. A sniper's game!

#1986 1 year ago

Tap passing is really easy on the linear flipper mech.

#1987 1 year ago

So, does anyone upgrade the flipper assemblies on this game. This is my first Bally. So linear flippers are new to me. Any advice on rebuilding or replacing these?

#1988 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Cliffy also makes in-lane guides as well.

I have them! Just haven't installed them yet.

#1989 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

So, does anyone upgrade the flipper assemblies on this game. This is my first Bally. So linear flippers are new to me. Any advice on rebuilding or replacing these?

IMO linear flipper suck. I downgraded mine to the early style.

#1990 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

The classic bally linear flippers have a feel. Back in the day, no one made parts and they were hard to get. Now pinball resource and pinball life both have good prices on flipper rebuild lots for these. Most people who say change them to the old mechs usually just don’t like the feel. That’s what was on the game, that’s what should stay on the game.

#1991 1 year ago
Quoted from Tallon:

The classic bally linear flippers have a feel. Back in the day, no one made parts and they were hard to get. Now pinball resource and pinball life both have good prices on flipper rebuild lots for these. Most people who say change them to the old mechs usually just don’t like the feel. That’s what was on the game, that’s what should stay on the game.

I have stock mechs on mine, they play fine if everything is as it should be.

#1992 1 year ago
Quoted from mkdud:

This PF changeover was pretty wonky and I spent some time correcting things on the PF before installing it. I don't know why, but I totally missed how poorly the "Wood Beast" DTA was installed. [quoted image]
How should I prep the damaged area? I was planning on using bondo glass, but is there something else or something better to use? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, mk[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I would use small doweling to plug-up the bad holes.
I have been going through the same problem on another CPR playfield.

#1993 1 year ago

Well, I'm not sure if these are linear flippers assemblies or not. They have that plunger spring. So, are these the early style then??
e9eb35fd492ec60280fb11213c299ad6520dff20 (resized).jpge9eb35fd492ec60280fb11213c299ad6520dff20 (resized).jpg

#1994 1 year ago

This is a linear flipper assemblies used on Rolling stones forward:
See video @ 36:12

#1995 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Well, I'm not sure if these are linear flippers assemblies or not. They have that plunger spring. So, are these the early style then??
[quoted image]

Those are the earlier style. But the parts look like they been changed over time. Wrong and missing screws on the mounting bases. Easily fixed. Likely stripped mounting holes. A few toothpicks and glue will fix that.

#1996 1 year ago

Rebuilt liner style

DSCN9558 (resized).JPGDSCN9558 (resized).JPG
#1997 1 year ago
Quoted from mkdud:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/J-B-Weld-KwikWood-1-oz-Filler-8257/202528468

#1998 1 year ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

Rebuilt liner style
[quoted image]

So, I'm confused because the flipper assembly you show is same as this one.... https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ASE-1587-10X

but, this was only used up until 1980. Flash Gorgon is 1981? And not on the compatible game list?
* Apparently, Pinball Life does not sell full flipper assemblies for this Bally era.

#1999 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

[quoted image]

The flipper assemblies in the picture are Sterns,, Sterns,Sterns,Sterns.
They belong to Flight 2000 etc...

#2000 1 year ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The flipper assemblies in the picture are Sterns,, Sterns,Sterns,Sterns.
They belong to Flight 2000 etc...

Ahhhh! You're right! Classic Sterns. How different do these feel from the correct Bally flipper assemblies? I am familiar with the classic Stern feel.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
There are 2,789 posts in this topic. You are on page 40 of 56.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/40?hl=dpannell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.