IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 57.
#1851 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

No problem, thanks for getting back. the 02 switches are the 3 inline at the top right side of playfield.

Okay. So like before, inspect every tab to make sure Nothing is touching.

Then use your meter to check to make sure it’s open and then close it by hand and make sure it buzzes out.

#1852 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Then use your meter to check to make sure it’s open and then close it by hand and make sure it buzzes out.

Okay. I really appreciate you helping along the way. Thanks again.

#1853 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I ran through all the 02 switches, they are all open in their normal state and when I close the contacts I get about .4 ohms. This just doesn't add up. Got any ideas? Are you a Spartan or a Wolverine?

1 week later
#1854 2 years ago

Just picked up a FG a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone knows of any news on Hardtops / CPR Playfields in terms of availability. Playfield on mine is mylared, but it's lifting in so many places that it really doesn't look good at all. In addition, most non-mylared areas shows LOTS of wear. So I'm hoping for 'something' to become available soon (if it isn't already).......

#1855 2 years ago
Quoted from dfrazer:

Just picked up a FG a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone knows of any news on Hardtops / CPR Playfields in terms of availability.

Both have been made and sold out. Only possibility is the secondary market, presently.

Robert

#1856 2 years ago

Any estimates on fair cost for a new head/backbox? Backglass and electronics are all fine. Thanks

#1857 2 years ago

Can someone with the siegecraft led adapters take a picture for me? Step 4 is to attach the alligator clip for the wiring harness to 'common' wire which is described as braided, but not the GI braided wire. As far as I can tell, the only braided wire I have is for the GI. I'd love a pic of the alligator clip attached so I can see what I'm missing.

#1858 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Can someone with the siegecraft led adapters take a picture for me? Step 4 is to attach the alligator clip for the wiring harness to 'common' wire which is described as braided, but not the GI braided wire. As far as I can tell, the only braided wire I have is for the GI. I'd love a pic of the alligator clip attached so I can see what I'm missing.

What pin?

Edit: sorry, thought I was in generic Bally/stern thread. Long day!

Look for the common wire that goes to tilt, shoot again and match.

#1859 2 years ago

I assume Flash Gordon

The common should be the wire connecting all the lamp sockets. It is not a ground, it carries the 6v.
Or yes as stated above for the backbox

1 week later
#1860 2 years ago

Just got a Non working players condition Project FG for $500! Missing BG got a replacement from CPR so Im into it for less than 1K, very happy. Was able to get everything working with the exception of the Xenon flash lamp, a resistor was smoked on the Flash unit and the strobe was out. Replaced the resistor, ordered the strobe from action Pinball. My question is, are the Lamps in the BG behind the Title "Flash Gordon" supposed to flash with the strobe? (When he says "FLASH!" Currently they do not. Havnt checked the schem but I assume they are controlled by the Flash unit or the Aux Lamp driver board?

FG (resized).jpgFG (resized).jpg

#1861 2 years ago

I absolutely love it Heaterguy! I would be so happy to get a players condition Flash Gordon that needed some repairs for $500!!!!

#1862 2 years ago

Re-pinned the aux driver board connector now my Flash Gordon back glass lights are flashing!

#1863 2 years ago
Quoted from Heaterguy:

Re-pinned the aux driver board connector now my Flash Gordon back glass lights are flashing!

if you haven't yet, you'll want to at minimum reflow the solder on the pins on all of your boards. This will get rid of most niggling issues.

1 week later
#1864 2 years ago

Hoping for soome Flash advise. Some time ago (like most) my backbox flasher went out. Went the poloroid route and put in a new flasher. Seems like it pulse glows but not flash bulb light? Possible the cap is bad on that board or any suggestions?

#1865 2 years ago

Try new caps on the strobe board, mine was very faintly flashing until I replaced them. Fwiw, those caps are carrying high voltage so discharge them before you get to work!

1 week later
#1866 2 years ago

Still can't figure out what's going on with my strobe unit (Pinpoint Electronics)? The pin was working fine and then about three months ago the mpu started rebooting. Disconnecting the stobe helped, but I was also having connector issues. Since then I've replaced the mpu (Alltek), driver, and power supply boards, and also re-pinned every connector in the backbox. But the game still won't boot with the strobe connected? It just seems to cycle the boot sequence. Any suggestions?

#1867 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Still can't figure out what's going on with my strobe unit (Pinpoint Electronics)? The pin was working fine and then about three months ago the mpu started rebooting. Disconnecting the stobe helped, but I was also having connector issues. Since then I've replaced the mpu (Alltek), driver, and power supply boards, and also re-pinned every connector in the backbox. But the game still won't boot with the strobe connected? It just seems to cycle the boot sequence. Any suggestions?

How many flashes do you get on the LED on the MPU?

#1868 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

I have the same issues with the same aftermarket strobe. I am getting some help from a person with a similar FG. We both have early production FGs. They use a two board sound system. Apparently the first 100 FGs off the line used the two board sound system from Xenon. He is testing my aftermarket board in his game. Curious to see what he finds. He is also a tech wizard with these games. If you learn anything, please post it here.

#1869 2 years ago

You guys with strobe board issues should check the continuity of the traces on your strobe boards.

When my game arrived, one of the issues was a non-working Pinpoint strobe board. It had a burnt trace.

#1870 2 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

How many flashes do you get on the LED on the MPU?

It's hard to tell because the mpu keeps resetting. The start-up sound comes on (bee-boo-bee-boo...) and then when the strobe does a test flash, the sound freezes (beeeeee), then the mpu resets and the cycle starts over.

I have a friend with two FGs, I'll see if I can test my strobe unit on one of his pins.

#1871 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

It's hard to tell because the mpu keeps resetting. The start-up sound comes on (bee-boo-bee-boo...) and then when the strobe does a test flash, the sound freezes (beeeeee), then the mpu resets and the cycle starts over.
I have a friend with two FGs, I'll see if I can test my strobe unit on one of his pins.

Just curious, do you have a squawk and talk sound board or the two board set?

#1872 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Just curious, do you have a squawk and talk sound board or the two board set?

Squawk and Talk.

#1873 2 years ago
Quoted from arzoo:

Squawk and Talk.

Oh well, there went that theory....

#1874 2 years ago

What is the voltage on the playfield switches, and is there a common ground?

#1875 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

What is the voltage on the playfield switches, and is there a common ground?

The playfield switches are wired in a matrix and are computer read by strobing some of the matrix signals. They don't work in a simple common ground/voltage scenario.

Explain the problem you're trying to diagnose.

#1876 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The playfield switches are wired in a matrix and are computer read by strobing some of the matrix signals. They don't work in a simple common ground/voltage scenario.
Explain the problem you're trying to diagnose.

When I run the switch test I get an error on 03 the single drop target. I don't see anything wrong with the switch, except when the switch test starts the drop target is down and closing the contacts. Doesn't the test want to see all open switches?

#1877 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

When I run the switch test I get an error on 03 the single drop target. I don't see anything wrong with the switch, except when the switch test starts the drop target is down and closing the contacts. Doesn't the test want to see all open switches?

Raise the drop target manually with the power off, turn on the power, and then run the switch test. Is the switch still showing closed? If so, have you checked the gap of the leaf switch on it?

#1878 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

Doesn't the test want to see all open switches?

Yes. You need to start switch test with a "clean slate" i.e. with all switches open. This means making sure all drop targets are raised and all balls are removed from the machine.

Note, the switch test does not report multiple closed switches, only the lowest number switch found closed. Switch numbers are listed in the "Switch Identification" section of the manual.

So if you're testing the switches start from switch 40 and work your way back to switch 1. When you drop a target to test it, if the game reports the correct switch number leave that target down and move to the next drop target. Check that switches report the correct number, if one/some don't there's an issue within the switch matrix.

#1879 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

As someone stated, manually raise the target. This is normal for Flash Gordon.

#1880 2 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

Try new caps on the strobe board, mine was very faintly flashing until I replaced them. Fwiw, those caps are carrying high voltage so discharge them before you get to work!

That was it. New caps and Flash is flashing once again! Thanks.

#1881 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

That was it. New caps and Flash is flashing once again! Thanks.

Nice!!! Happy to assist

#1882 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Yes. You need to start switch test with a "clean slate" i.e. with all switches open. This means making sure all drop targets are raised and all balls are removed from the machine.
Note, the switch test does not report multiple closed switches, only the lowest number switch found closed. Switch numbers are listed in the "Switch Identification" section of the manual.
So if you're testing the switches start from switch 40 and work your way back to switch 1. When you drop a target to test it, if the game reports the correct switch number leave that target down and move to the next drop target. Check that switches report the correct number, if one/some don't there's an issue within the switch matrix.

Got it. Thanks for the help.

1 week later
#1883 2 years ago
Quoted from dfrazer:

Just picked up a FG a couple of weeks ago, and was wondering if anyone knows of any news on Hardtops / CPR Playfields in terms of availability.

They appear to be available again on CPR’s site.

#1885 2 years ago

2 Left !!!!

#1886 2 years ago

make that one lol

#1887 2 years ago

Confirmed! Lol

EF5D04AF-113E-4109-97DB-94B061BC3A29 (resized).pngEF5D04AF-113E-4109-97DB-94B061BC3A29 (resized).png
#1888 2 years ago

Those playfields are screened or digital ink printed ??

#1889 2 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

I dont think they screen anyone them anymore?

#1890 2 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Ink.

#1891 2 years ago

I have a FG Hardtop that I got when I bought my game. The playfield on mine is actually in really good shape. So i MIGHT not install it.

Thinking of selling to help fund my Rush game. Ill post here first if I decide.

1 week later
#1892 2 years ago

Been looking for a good playfield scan for Flash Gordon for awhile to help out with a project I'm working on. Does anyone have one? Multiple scans needing stitching is fine. Thanks!

1 week later
#1893 2 years ago
Quoted from A_Bord:

Been looking for a good playfield scan for Flash Gordon for awhile to help out with a project I'm working on. Does anyone have one? Multiple scans needing stitching is fine. Thanks!

I am just curious, how would print it and what material would you print it on?

1 week later
#1894 2 years ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

I am just curious, how would print it and what material would you print it on?

Just waterslides and frisket at this point. Nothing fancy.

1 month later
#1895 2 years ago

star rollovers lighting up but not registering.
no idea why.
Thank you in advance for any help.

#1896 2 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

star rollovers lighting up but not registering.
no idea why.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Bally has their switches tied together, regardless of lamps.
Top left buttons = same switch.
Top right three buttons = same switch.
Top right two buttons above top flipper = same switch.
1) are switches clean and dry with no residue on switch spacers.
1a) check for bad capacitor*... one capacitor could disable the set of button switches.
* most likely problem.
1b) check for clean contacts and switch closer swipe stroke through.

#1897 2 years ago

I will check those. Thank you for the tips.

#1898 2 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Okay my FG has developed an issue. Was working 100%, but now when it boots it makes the siren sound like 6 times and then just the low freq. Whaaa sound. When it was working properly it would make a two-tone Waaa, waaa sound.

FYI I've discovered this YouTube video where in the comments someone explains that this could be a 5v supply issue:

Looking into that now.

2 weeks later
#1899 2 years ago

Just joined the club this weekend with a purchase from Texas Pinball Festival. Looking forward to replace all the rubbers, add LED's and a playfield protector. Will post a post-cleanup photo once I'm done.

IMG_5698 (resized).JPGIMG_5698 (resized).JPG

#1900 2 years ago

Jesu did a CPR swap from overlay and the long road is almost over.

But, I'm left with 2 last decisions and that's outline position? Open is painful but fun, just wondering what other folks do
Gratis!

20220402_020244.jpg20220402_020244.jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 90.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 57.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/38?hl=danmarino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.