IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6256 (resized).jpeg
Thumbnail (resized).png
IMG_20240228_124335477 (resized).jpg
66277047031__BE249FBD-B8DB-45D1-8EC8-5FE147B2324B (resized).jpeg
IMG_6646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6619 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,788 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 56.
#1351 3 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Not sure where I saw it here but I repurposed the old plastics for coin windows:[quoted image]

That’s pretty cool. Very nice. I went with a set done by a guy I found on Pinside (can’t recall who), and I put multi-color flashers behind, which makes it hard to photograph. But these are mine. They are brighter and more colorful in person.

DFDAB81C-D8D6-45AC-A9BF-7F5E832AA928 (resized).jpegDFDAB81C-D8D6-45AC-A9BF-7F5E832AA928 (resized).jpeg
#1352 3 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Not sure where I saw it here but I repurposed the old plastics for coin windows:[quoted image]

Now this is a great idea.

#1353 3 years ago

For those who missed the recent FG small CPR PF release, more are coming.

#1354 3 years ago

Any chance that they will offer up the upper PF as a separate purchase, or is that not feasible?

#1355 3 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

For those who missed the recent FG small CPR PF release, more are coming.

He actually has one listed on eBay along with 40 other titles if anyone wants one now.

#1356 3 years ago

Okay so my FG is back to together and playing well except for a few small adjustments. A question I have is which of the rollover switches causes the drop target to come up for the Skill/reflex shot? I am finding the single drop usually comes up after the ball is already gone past the upper flipper. Is this a normal thing or is it missing a switch trigger somewhere?

Thanks for all the help along the way everyone

Oh and I should post a few pics, I bought it as a intact project with most of the pieces to complete

New Hardtop
All new Alltek Boards
Custom graphics

20200824_222903_resized (resized).jpg20200824_222903_resized (resized).jpg20200824_222909_resized (resized).jpg20200824_222909_resized (resized).jpg20200824_222916_resized (resized).jpg20200824_222916_resized (resized).jpg
#1357 3 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

Okay so my FG is back to together and playing well except for a few small adjustments. A question I have is which of the rollover switches causes the drop target to come up for the Skill/reflex shot? I am finding the single drop usually comes up after the ball is already gone past the upper flipper. Is this a normal thing or is it missing a switch trigger somewhere?
Oh and I should post a few pics, I bought it as a intact project with most of the pieces to complete
New Hardtop
All new Alltek Boards
Custom graphics [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Love the custom graphics I wish I would have had the ability to do that. Would have been cheaper than the stencils and everything else I am doing. I am doing the hardtop, alternate pinball pimp stencils, new displays etc.

I see you even wrapped the apron with custom art. Post more pictures....

Its beautiful from what we can see.

#1358 3 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:Okay so my FG is back to together and playing well except for a few small adjustments. A question I have is which of the rollover switches causes the drop target to come up for the Skill/reflex shot? I am finding the single drop usually comes up after the ball is already gone past the upper flipper. Is this a normal thing or is it missing a switch trigger somewhere?
New Hardtop
All new Alltek Boards
Custom graphics

Former (regretfully) member. This looks incredible. Congrats!

#1359 3 years ago
Quoted from jesperpark:

A question I have is which of the rollover switches causes the drop target to come up for the Skill/reflex shot?

As I can recall:
1) Shooter lane and right first three rollovers cause the drop target to fall.
2) The the two rollovers later cause the drop target to reset.
3) The above is predicated on weather the drop target switch is readable.

#1360 3 years ago

I think there is a timer aspect to how that single target comes up. The 3 rollovers in the shooter lane are all wired together as switch 02. With the ball at the bottom, it sits on the shooter lane switch (04), when it leaves it, the target pops down. I think the triple switches just trigger a timer because I have seen the target come up again when I don't quite make it out of the shooter lane, then go down again as the ball rolls backwards again and tells the machine a ball is in the lane. Then it pops up again with the ball on the shooter lane switch again.

The two rollovers just outside the shooter lane are both switch 01 and really only seem to trigger scoring and the light sequence in the shooter lane.

#1361 3 years ago

Thanks for the kind words on the decals, I was unsure how it would turn out until the very end.

So in regards to the single drop target, is in fact a big issue that it does not come up in time? Even when the target comes up slightly late, it will stay up and hopefully can be hit later, still scoring the same points. Is this normal?

It does start in the up position, then goes down when the ball is on it's way up the shooter lane, so everything is functioning properly to that point. So I guess I'm wondering, if this is this supposed to be a type of skill shot, or just a added target after the ball has passed.

Later on this week I will see what logic is causing the "up" trigger. I know all 5 rollovers trigger with a slow ball roll, they might be not be set sensitive enough

Thanks again for the insight

#1362 3 years ago

Once you plunge, the drop target stays down until you hit your first switch. Then it pops up. At least, I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. So sometimes it may come up later than others. Is that what you mean?

#1363 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Once you plunge, the drop target stays down until you hit your first switch. Then it pops up. At least, I’m pretty sure that’s how it works. So sometimes it may come up later than others. Is that what you mean?

Mine as well, once the first switch that's not the f3 rollovers is activated the target comes up.

#1364 3 years ago

How does your Squawk and Talk sound overall? Do they all say "Truaa Dell Earthing" at game over? I realize this supposed to be "Try again Earthling", especially after hearing the sounds plus and vocalizer in comparison.

Most everyone's FG S&T speech that I have heard sound similar to mine. I think it is working 100 % properly, fully recapped + new pots. Most all the speech is pretty understandable except the "try again earthling". I just ordered a 250k trimpot to try making r9 variable; perhaps the speech can be a bit better?

Does your FG Squawk & Talk say "Trua Dell Earthling" at game over?

#1365 3 years ago
Quoted from mkdud:

How does your Squawk and Talk sound overall? Do they all say "Truaa Dell Earthing" at game over? I realize this supposed to be "Try again Earthling", especially after hearing the sounds plus and vocalizer in comparison.
Most everyone's FG S&T speech that I have heard sound similar to mine. I think it is working 100 % properly, fully recapped + new pots. Most all the speech is pretty understandable except the "try again earthling". I just ordered a 250k trimpot to try making r9 variable; perhaps the speech can be a bit better?

Mine is very clear, 'Try again Earthling'.

#1366 3 years ago
Quoted from mkdud:

I suspect sound roms going bad, replacing mine fixed most of the speech issues.

Easy to convert the board over to eproms, grab the files from the pinball database and burn to chips.

#1367 3 years ago

"I suspect sound roms going bad, replacing mine fixed most of the speech issues.

Easy to convert the board over to eproms, grab the files from the pinball database and burn to chips."

Thanks for the advice. This is enough to convince me to convert the factory proms to Eproms. I will report back the results after I get my burner hooked up and running. Thanks again, mk

#1368 3 years ago

Got my PF today!

20200827_162237 (resized).jpg20200827_162237 (resized).jpg20200827_162242 (resized).jpg20200827_162242 (resized).jpg
#1369 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Got my PF today!
[quoted image][quoted image]

So awesome.

#1370 3 years ago

Speaker replacements

Anyone have a suggestion for replacement speakers? I don't know if they are all like this but mine has the twin small speakers in the cabinet bottom rather than a larger single speaker. The typical Flipper Fidelity and PinballPro sites only offer the large single speaker.

#1371 3 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Got my PF today!
[quoted image][quoted image]

Hawkman looks fine to me. Still waiting for mine to get here.....

1 week later
#1372 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I suspect sound roms going bad, replacing mine fixed most of the speech issues.

Easy to convert the board over to eproms, grab the files from the pinball database and burn to chips.

So, I burned and installed 2532's to replace my original proms on the S & T. It still sounds like "Truea Dell Earthling" when the game ends. All other speech and sounds are fine. Maybe my hearing is just bad....

#1373 3 years ago

Is anyone running an Altek MPU with a Sounds Plus and Vocalizer in their Flash Gordon?

#1374 3 years ago
Quoted from mkdud:

So, I burned and installed 2532's to replace my original proms on the S & T. It still sounds like "Truea Dell Earthling" when the game ends. All other speech and sounds are fine. Maybe my hearing is just bad....

Do you have the 5200 or the 5220 chip on the S&T? Speech is formatted for the 5200.

See this video:

#1375 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Do you have the 5200 or the 5220 chip on the S&T? Speech is formatted for the 5200.
See this video:

Note: the S&T featured is a 2nd generation S&T. 1st used on EBD.
---- Flash Gordon 1st generation S&T has a flaw with the -5volts.
Thanks for posting the video.

#1376 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Note: the S&T featured is a 2nd generation S&T. 1st used on EBD.
---- Flash Gordon 1st generation S&T has a flaw with the -5volts.
Thanks for posting the video.

My S&T sounds just like the one in the video when the TMS 5200 is tested, and my S&T has a TMS 5200. So, I guess what I'm hearing as "troya dell earthiling" is how it is supposed to sound.

Please explain the -5v flaw with the 1st gen S&T. My FG is serial # 8396, so I'm guessing my S&T is a later gen model.

#1377 3 years ago
Quoted from mkdud:

My S&T sounds just like the one in the video when the TMS 5200 is tested, and my S&T has a TMS 5200. So, I guess what I'm hearing as "troya dell earthiling" is how it is supposed to sound.
Please explain the -5v flaw with the 1st gen S&T. My FG is serial # 8396, so I'm guessing my S&T is a later gen model.

The -5 did not sync-up to the TMS 5200 ic correctly...
Best way to know is look at the upper right hand side of the S&T board.
1) if missing three transistors, you have an old board.
2) if you have three transistors, then you have the revision.

1 week later
#1378 3 years ago

Is anybody running the sounds plus and vocalizer in their FG??

I have a question regarding the U9 prom (32x8) on the vocalizer. Is this prom the same on ANY vocalizer, or does it have different code for Xenon and Flash Gordon?

Any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks, mk

#1379 3 years ago

I am now in the club.

Picked up a very nice Flash Gordon on Saturday. Loving it.

#1380 3 years ago
Quoted from mkdud:

I have a question regarding the U9 prom (32x8) on the vocalizer. Is this prom the same on ANY vocalizer, or does it have different code for Xenon and Flash Gordon?

The U9 PROM is listed as the same BALLY part number in both the Flash Gordon and Xenon manuals: "E-720-44"
The PROM is just used as an address decoder for the Speech ROMs, there's no game specific content in it.
Note, the PROM is soldered on the board - if it was different per game it would have been socketed.
So the U9 PROM should be the same for both games.

Below is a picture of the U9 PROM I took from a Xenon Vocalizer board. I thought I had a picture of the Flash Gordon Vocalizer but can't find it.

Vocalizer_PROM.jpgVocalizer_PROM.jpg

#1381 3 years ago

OK, so on my working xenon vocalizer, this U9 prom is in a socket. It is labeled the same as the one in Qunech's picture, and is the same as the vocalizer u9 prom I am trying to get going in my FG.

I want to archive this code. I have a GQ4 programmer. What is the device listing for this prom? Is it 8331? 8047? What brand is MMI?

Thanks for the help! -mk

20200915_140015 (resized).jpg20200915_140015 (resized).jpg
#1382 3 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

The -5 did not sync-up to the TMS 5200 ic correctly...
Best way to know is look at the upper right hand side of the S&T board.
1) if missing three transistors, you have an old board.
2) if you have three transistors, then you have the revision.

If I'm not mistaken you can also tell by looking at J2 since the early board only seems to have a 6-pin connector there.

Was there a tech note from Bally to modify the early S&T boards in regards to that -5V? I have one of those early S&T boards that I'm working on now and can do any needed mods while here.

#1383 3 years ago
Quoted from mkdud:

I want to archive this code. I have a GQ4 programmer. What is the device listing for this prom? Is it 8331? 8047? What brand is MMI?

The GQ4 programmer doesn't support bipolar PROMs.
You'd need to make a converter to read it out like a 2716 EPROM.
That PROM is manufactured by MMI and the part number is: "6331". I bought about 20 of them NOS a few years ago only to later discover none of my four different EPROM programmers support this particular PROM. There's some other compatible drop in PROMs like 82S123 and 74S288 which some programmers do still support. These ancient chips are getting hard to find. Don't waste your money buying them "new" from China - they are previously programmed chips and are totally useless.

Anyway I've already dumped this PROM. Here's the contents:
0000: FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
0010: FE FE FD FD FB FB F7 F7 EF EF DF DF BF BF 7F FF

The CRC32# of the file is: 7F18F0E4

Quoted from mkdud:

It is labeled the same as the one in Qunech's picture, and is the same as the vocalizer u9 prom I am trying to get going in my FG.

It should be a simple matter of programming new Flash Gordon speech EPROMs and the sound EPROM on the Sounds Plus board. What problem are you having that you're looking at U9?

#1384 3 years ago

Does anyone have a color code for the original red color on the cabinet?
Mine is awfully faded.
My plan is to touch it up now and properly do the cabinet next summer...

#1385 3 years ago

For those that aren't aware, there's a guy in France who makes a replacement sound board for the older Bally and Stern pins (including FG) that allows you to completely customize the sound however you like. It was out of stock for a while, but I just received mine for my HGOT (don't have an FG yet) so I can add the classic GT music and some other fun sounds. When I get the FG to go with my new CPR FG playfield, I'd love to have the Queen soundtrack background music and movie callouts triggered by shots. Not for the purists, obviously.

https://www.pinball-technology.com/produits/nb2/

#1386 3 years ago

I asked about ordering the NB2 board and this is the response I got on 9/12/20:

"sorry for the moment I am out of stock + big work for the company move.
Normally available between one and two months.
Yes I already ship to the US.
NBII + shipping costs (with insurance and signature) = 270€

Best regards, stef"

$320 USD seems steep. Am I wrong?

Also, I am looking at pulling the sound files from the movie to map out the entire game myself. Does anyone know the format they need to be in? The website doesn't say.

#1387 3 years ago
Quoted from face4radio:

Best regards, stef"
Also, I am looking at pulling the sound files from the movie to map out the entire game myself. Does anyone know the format they need to be in? The website doesn't say.

It’s an mpu + S&T so it seems ok to me. A new S&T from the UK is 200£ without roms.
Check the support section. there are instructions for adding files

#1388 3 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

It’s an mpu + S&T so it seems ok to me. A new S&T from the UK is 200£ without roms.
Check the support section. there are instructions for adding files

For both that is completely fair - it would be great to see someone besides me take the dive on this first on how it all works.

#1391 3 years ago

Hello FG Pinheads! Just got FG delivered today, can't wait to tear into this game and start the rebuilding process. Going to do a full restoration and get this game set up right. Looking for any and all advice on this project to get it right. Here's what I notice so far:
1. Back box and cabinet definitely need new stencils and paint
2. Going to order a new CPR play field (currently outta stock)
3. Strobe light is weak but Marco can get repro board with strobe in 30-60 days
4. Serial numbers are matching on back box and cabinet

Thanks for advice!

IMG_3221 (resized).jpegIMG_3221 (resized).jpegIMG_3222 (resized).jpegIMG_3222 (resized).jpegIMG_3224 (resized).jpegIMG_3224 (resized).jpeg
#1392 3 years ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

Hello FG Pinheads! Just got FG delivered today, can't wait to tear into this game and start the rebuilding process. Going to do a full restoration and get this game set up right. Looking for any and all advice on this project to get it right. Here's what I notice so far:
1. Back box and cabinet definitely need new stencils and paint
2. Going to order a new CPR play field (currently outta stock)
3. Strobe light is weak but Marco can get repro board with strobe in 30-60 days
4. Serial numbers are matching on back box and cabinet
Thanks for advice![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice!! In all seriousness, your playfield looks to be in the top 5% condition wise of any original playfield Flash Gordons still out there. Unless there is something not showing in those pics, redo the cabinet if needed, fix the strobe, and enjoy the best Bally ever made!

#1393 3 years ago

Nice!! In all seriousness, your playfield looks to be in the top 5% condition wise of any original playfield Flash Gordons still out there. Unless there is something not showing in those pics, redo the cabinet if needed, fix the strobe, and enjoy the best Bally ever made!

I buy these to redo them as close to original that I can

The playfield is in better than average shape for its age. Looks like someone put mylar over it at some point. There is the normal saucer hole wear and a little wear on the upper left playfield where the ball goes back to the top. This one is too nice not to go all in on it. Do you know how I can figure out the paint colors on the box and the cabinet? FYI Eight Ball Deluxe is the best Bally game in my opinion. FG is my second Favorite!

#1394 3 years ago
Quoted from DigitalJB:

The playfield is in better than average shape for its age. Looks like someone put mylar over it at some point. There is the normal saucer hole wear and a little wear on the upper left playfield where the ball goes back to the top. This one is too nice not to go all in on it. Do you know how I can figure out the paint colors on the box and the cabinet? FYI Eight Ball Deluxe is the best Bally game in my opinion. FG is my second Favorite!

Krylon Apple Red or Rustoleum Regal Red are what most restorations I've seen on here use for the cabinet. I used the Regal red. Some use gold, some use yellow, and the black is straightforward. Of course use some Pinball Pimp stencils for the paintwork. Do some searches on here, plenty of Flash Gordon restorations have been documented over the years.

6BCCF75E-FF83-42FE-B79F-7D9E46BDF7F8.jpeg6BCCF75E-FF83-42FE-B79F-7D9E46BDF7F8.jpeg
#1395 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Krylon Apple Red or Rustoleum Regal Red are what most restorations I've seen on here use for the cabinet. I used the Regal red. Some use gold, some use yellow, and the black is straightforward. Of course use some Pinball Pimp stencils for the paintwork. Do some searches on here, plenty of Flash Gordon restorations have been documented over the years.
[quoted image]

I copied your idea of using clear inserts before installing my hard-top. I hope you are more flattered than offended if I have the armor done in gloss black, like you did. Your final restoration looks amazing!

My hartop is patiently waiting/hanging on my wall. My game is at my parents and I haven't been to their house since COVID... Can't wait!

#1396 3 years ago
Quoted from face4radio:

Best regards, stef"

I paid 262€ shipped, which was $311. Mjalexan is correct,m—it’s also an MPU. Mine just came in 2 weeks ago. Out of stock again already, eh? Hmmm, I should get on the list for another one soon.

Link to manual in English:

https://www.pinball-technology.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/NB2-Documentation-EN.pdf

#1397 3 years ago
Quoted from hd60609:

I copied your idea of using clear inserts before installing my hard-top. I hope you are more flattered than offended if I have the armor done in gloss black, like you did. Your final restoration looks amazing!
My hartop is patiently waiting/hanging on my wall. My game is at my parents and I haven't been to their house since COVID... Can't wait!

Thanks! Glad you like it, it came out really well. I saw both ideas on other pins before it did mine, so we are passing and combining inspiration on from others.

The gloss black armor is actually called Nocturnal Gold by Prismatic Powders. Looks black at first glance, however it has a glimmer of gold & chrome flake in it.

E3A067FF-E00A-40D4-8402-6594D8052B24 (resized).jpegE3A067FF-E00A-40D4-8402-6594D8052B24 (resized).jpeg
#1398 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Thanks! Glad you like it, it came out really well. I saw both ideas on other pins before it did mine, so we are passing and combining inspiration on from others.
The gloss black armor is actually called Nocturnal Gold by Prismatic Powders. Looks black at first glance, however it has a glimmer of gold & chrome flake in it.[quoted image]

SUCH a gorgeous color!! Well done!!

#1399 3 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

[quoted image]

Wow! Your game looks freaking amazing man, you set the bar really high. Definitely going to take my time and read up on the previous threads as suggested. I just finished up my 8BD so I have a lot more experience. Feel free to drop some knowledge on me anytime!

JB

#1400 3 years ago

My very nice Flash Gordon is for sale:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/102678

Robert

Added over 3 years ago:

Has been taken by in-laws...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
$ 45.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Boards
Troxel Repair
Boards
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball
Plastics
$ 199.95
$ 25.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 90.00
$ 99.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7.50
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,788 posts in this topic. You are on page 28 of 56.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.