IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6256 (resized).jpeg
Thumbnail (resized).png
IMG_20240228_124335477 (resized).jpg
66277047031__BE249FBD-B8DB-45D1-8EC8-5FE147B2324B (resized).jpeg
IMG_6646 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6619 (resized).jpeg

There are 2,788 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 56.
#951 4 years ago

TP1 on the SD board is noted as ground so thats an easy one but do i use 5v at TP2?

#952 4 years ago

lol sorry wait wrong schematic. TP8 is ground. TP1 is 5v, TP2 185v TP3,6,7 5v bus line, TP4 230V, TP5 11.9v, TP6

#953 4 years ago

ok so i think the ca3081 checks out fine. Im getting an output from it as the machine cycles thru the solenoid tests. Maybe the issue now is down the line with the 74l154 decoder

#954 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

ok so i think the ca3081 checks out fine. Im getting an output from it as the machine cycles thru the solenoid tests. Maybe the issue now is down the line with the 74l154 decoder

What issue are you trying to diagnose? Your posts on the previous page don't mention solenoid issues.

#955 4 years ago
Quoted from jespo_19:

i know this is the "club" but anyone selling one?

I can't find this game anywhere at all...isn't there anybody selling one?

#956 4 years ago
Quoted from kuchiyaji:

I know!

#957 4 years ago
Quoted from kuchiyaji:

Hard to find. Most keep once they own. There are two in the market section, but one is $4k, the other more. But the $4k one has a new PF and plastics and so you will never find a nicer example.
Regardless, one will eventually pop up. I found mine with blind luck

#958 4 years ago
Quoted from kuchiyaji:

Where are located?

#959 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Hard to find. Most keep once they own. There are two in the market section, but one is $4k, the other more. But the $4k one has a new PF and plastics and so you will never find a nicer example.
Regardless, one will eventually pop up. I found mine with blind luck

This is a very good Seller, @Sleaterkiss, she is local to me. I can vouch for her completely. Nice looking game: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/84088

#960 4 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

What issue are you trying to diagnose? Your posts on the previous page don't mention solenoid issues.

LOL im sorry this issue was with my Flight 2000 and not my flash. I was posting in the wrong topic. My bad.

#961 4 years ago

Ok this time I’m talking about Flash Gordon lol. I’m trying to get my strobe working. When testing the voltage at the ac lines I’m getting a high reading. Should this not be in the 120 area ? Also on other machines what colour wire is connected to the blue wire ? Mine is black with white stripe. I cant see in the schematics what colour is for what voltage.

00A3712A-1A58-487D-9F94-BD49FA85B6F6 (resized).jpeg00A3712A-1A58-487D-9F94-BD49FA85B6F6 (resized).jpegC641A09F-7FD4-4DFE-A480-B29DD95980FD (resized).jpegC641A09F-7FD4-4DFE-A480-B29DD95980FD (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#962 4 years ago

Other question. I’m the backbox on the strobe mounting bracket one of the screws has a ground (green yellow ) and goes back to a ground in the back box. I don’t see anything from the strobe board to the metal bracket so what’s the point of that ?

#963 4 years ago

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#964 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Other question. I’m the backbox on the strobe mounting bracket one of the screws has a ground (green yellow ) and goes back to a ground in the back box. I don’t see anything from the strobe board to the metal bracket so what’s the point of that ?

There are very high voltages on that strobe light circuit, that green-yellow wire is an earth strap for safety incase something from the board touches that metal bracket.

Quoted from wolffcub:

Ok this time I’m talking about Flash Gordon lol. I’m trying to get my strobe working. When testing the voltage at the ac lines I’m getting a high reading. Should this not be in the 120 area ? Also on other machines what colour wire is connected to the blue wire ? Mine is black with white stripe. I cant see in the schematics what colour is for what voltage.

Based on the schematic and where the fuse and loopback wires are we can deduce the pin locations on the connector and it looks like your transformer is wired for 110VAC because that blue wire is in pin location 5. Pin location 6 is for 120VAC.

FlashGordonStrobeTransformer_plug1a.jpgFlashGordonStrobeTransformer_plug1a.jpg
FlashGordonStrobeTransformer_plug2a.jpgFlashGordonStrobeTransformer_plug2a.jpg

#965 4 years ago

What's a reasonable price on a flash gordon with a bit of playfield wear these days? Not totally trashed / playable as is.

#966 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

What's a reasonable price on a flash gordon with a bit of playfield wear these days? Not totally trashed / playable as is.

Are you selling or buying?

Depends on a lot. How are the boards? Batteries on the boards? Off? NVRAM? LEDs? What's been done to it? How is the backglass? Cabinet? Legs? "Bit of playfield wear" is a phrase someone could drive a truck through...

I'm looking for a player's condition or project...

#967 4 years ago

My FG sometimes turns on the High Score light while I am still playing. It works properly during attract mode after a game finishes and is off during the game as it should be. Just sometimes I will notice it is on during a game, I have only noticed it happening on Ball 3. Is this normal?

#968 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

My FG sometimes turns on the High Score light while I am still playing. It works properly during attract mode after a game finishes and is off during the game as it should be. Just sometimes I will notice it is on during a game, I have only noticed it happening on Ball 3. Is this normal?

No, it's not normal. Do you have LEDs and is it ghosting?

#969 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

Are you selling or buying?
Depends on a lot. How are the boards? Batteries on the boards? Off? NVRAM? LEDs? What's been done to it? How is the backglass? Cabinet? Legs? "Bit of playfield wear" is a phrase someone could drive a truck through...
I'm looking for a player's condition or project...

Boards are fine. NVRAM/LED is a non-issue for price for me. Flippers rebuilt (again, $50?). Backglass is good, cabinet is good. Legs are legs.

Less playfield wear than normal. Some at kickout, some at upper playfield. Less than a ton of the games picture in this thread. For examle, lower playfield by flippers is good.

So what would a decent range be? I just don't know if this game is increasing at the same rate as everything else and leaving Pinside pricing in the dust.

#970 4 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Boards are fine. NVRAM/LED is a non-issue for price for me. Flippers rebuilt (again, $50?). Backglass is good, cabinet is good. Legs are legs.
Less playfield wear than normal. Some at kickout, some at upper playfield. Less than a ton of the games picture in this thread. For examle, lower playfield by flippers is good.
So what would a decent range be? I just don't know if this game is increasing at the same rate as everything else and leaving Pinside pricing in the dust.

I've seen that description priced anywhere from $1800 to $2800, depending on location....

#971 4 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

I've seen that description priced anywhere from $1800 to $2800, depending on location....

Thank you - that's helpful!

#972 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

No, it's not normal. Do you have LEDs and is it ghosting?

Yes they are LEDs, but this is full on bright, not ghosting. Like I say, it works normally at other times.

#973 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Yes they are LEDs, but this is full on bright, not ghosting. Like I say, it works normally at other times.

I wonder if the associated SCR is starting to go. But normally, when an SCR goes bad, the lamp doesn't light at all. I would look to see if the socket is getting grounded by a stray wire or something else. I would probably then start looking at the board, checking the header pin and connector, testing the SCR for that lamp. Maybe try putting in an incandescent bulb to see if it happens.

#974 4 years ago

I am using an Alltek board for the lighting and it is quite new. I would need to check if that light actually operates using the Auxiliary lamp board which is original.

#975 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I am using an Alltek board for the lighting and it is quite new. I would need to check if that light actually operates using the Auxiliary lamp board which is original.

Yeah, I don't have the schematic in front of me. The Alltek shouldn't have any problems but you never know.

#976 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I wonder if the associated SCR is starting to go. But normally, when an SCR goes bad, the lamp doesn't light at all. I would look to see if the socket is getting grounded by a stray wire or something else. I would probably then start looking at the board, checking the header pin and connector, testing the SCR for that lamp. Maybe try putting in an incandescent bulb to see if it happens.

I have seen controlled lamps lock on as well due to bad scr. But only on ball 3 is weird. Try switching the game to a 5 ball game and see if it only happens on the 5th ball.

#977 4 years ago

Has anyone purchased the latest CPR FG glass? I'm wondering if it's better than the first run.

#978 4 years ago

My single drop target in front of the bonus collect lane won't reset once it drops. Can I assume that's a solenoid issue?

#979 4 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

My single drop target in front of the bonus collect lane won't reset once it drops. Can I assume that's a solenoid issue?

So, it never goes up? Not at game start? Did you check the leaf switches and solder joints, linkage. You can test the solenoid by entering the diagnostic/test functions. You cycle through the test modes using the the little button on the inside top of the coin door.

#980 4 years ago

Yeah, never. It stays until the plunge if I set it up manually but never returns as it should. The leafs switch and solder joints all look normal. Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

#981 4 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Yeah, never. It stays until the plunge if I set it up manually but never returns as it should. The leafs switch and solder joints all look normal. Thanks for the info. Will check it out.

Sounds like the solenoid is not firing ( which should be apparent when in test mode and cycling through tall the solenoids). It’s easy to replace ... and if that’s it, simple repair.

My MPU decided to go spuds up today after years of reliable performance. Guess my machine had sympathy pains....

#982 4 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Has anyone purchased the latest CPR FG glass? I'm wondering if it's better than the first run.

Me too. Was the first run bad?

#983 4 years ago
Quoted from doghouse:

Me too. Was the first run bad?

Depends. It was created with a different color process than the original, so the ones I’ve seen look different to my eye. Very saturated, with a heavy red/magenta look.

Might be best to pick one up at a show if possible so you can get a look at it first. I passed on the one I saw.

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Depends. It was created with a different color process than the original, so the ones I’ve seen look different to my eye. Very saturated, with a heavy red/magenta look.
Might be best to pick one up at a show if possible so you can get a look at it first. I passed on the one I saw.

Thanks for your input. I've probably bought almost a dozen CPR PF's and plastic sets, but their BG's don't generally cut it in my opinion. Never actually seen one that I thought was decent enough to not want to replace eventually. Looks like I'll be going the BG-Resto route. Again. (sigh)

1 week later
#985 4 years ago

Looking for a Flash Gordon cpr playfield. If anyone knows where to get one let me know. Thank you!

1 week later
#986 4 years ago

Finally scored one today. Been looking for years. Working game, nice BG, better than average PF. Cabinet needs help. Just got her hooked up.

DSCN5535 (resized).JPGDSCN5535 (resized).JPG
#987 4 years ago

Ironically had a deal in place 18 months ago to buy this exact game 250 miles away. Seller sold it anyway before I could get there. Just got it at half the distance!

#988 4 years ago

I have a question regarding an issue with my FG's Pinpoint Bally Flash Gordon AS-2518-62 Strobe Board. I have had issues with it with various MPU boards since I installed the strobe a couple of years ago. Initially, I had it set up with the original MPU, and it worked, but did some weird stuff. The game sometimes wouldn't immediately boot, and the voicing and some sound effects from the sound board would not always work properly [half finished phrasing, starting in the middle of phrasing, sounds dropping off or starting in odd spots]. I replaced that MPU with an older Alltek MPU, and it was dodgy too, but other than the sound being kind of wacked out, it seemed to work. With both MPUs, if the strobe was unplugged, the game functioned perfectly.
Well, the Alltek MPU went spuds up and the good folks at Alltek did me a solid and replaced the board with a brand new one for a very reasonable fee. When I installed it - it would not boot at all. The LED on the board just kept flashing over and over, but no boot/start. Double checked voltage, and it was all good [all boards except the sound board are Alltek]. I unplugged the Pinpoint Strobe Board, and everything worked flawlessly. I kind of went over this before with the Alltek people and the Pinpoint folks, but they could not figure it out. Given the fact that the strobe messed with both the Bally and Alltek MPUs, it seems the issue is with the strobe or the machine [switch or something?]

Thoughts?

#989 4 years ago

Hi all. I have a possible deal to get a FG. Everything works except the switch under the single drop target on the upper playfield -- this is the drop target that leads back to the shooter lane. The target goes up and down fine, but the switch that registers points sometimes causes resets of the game. The current owner adjusted the switch so it no longer registers points, leaving the drop target otherwise functional.

My question is if I leave it this way, am I just depriving myself from certain points by hitting the target. Or, is this preventing me from completing some major section of the game, like achieving a necessary bonus or 2x scoring or something? I don't understand the rules enough to know.

Thanks in advance for the help.

#990 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I have a question regarding an issue with my FG's Pinpoint Bally Flash Gordon AS-2518-62 Strobe Board. I have had issues with it with various MPU boards since I installed the strobe a couple of years ago. Initially, I had it set up with the original MPU, and it worked, but did some weird stuff. The game sometimes wouldn't immediately boot, and the voicing and some sound effects from the sound board would not always work properly [half finished phrasing, starting in the middle of phrasing, sounds dropping off or starting in odd spots]. I replaced that MPU with an older Alltek MPU, and it was dodgy too, but other than the sound being kind of wacked out, it seemed to work. With both MPUs, if the strobe was unplugged, the game functioned perfectly.
Well, the Alltek MPU went spuds up and the good folks at Alltek did me a solid and replaced the board with a brand new one for a very reasonable fee. When I installed it - it would not boot at all. The LED on the board just kept flashing over and over, but no boot/start. Double checked voltage, and it was all good [all boards except the sound board are Alltek]. I unplugged the Pinpoint Strobe Board, and everything worked flawlessly. I kind of went over this before with the Alltek people and the Pinpoint folks, but they could not figure it out. Given the fact that the strobe messed with both the Bally and Alltek MPUs, it seems the issue is with the strobe or the machine [switch or something?]
Thoughts?

It sounds like the problem is with the strobe board. If you can get your hands on a known functioning strobe board to test, this would be your answer.

#991 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Hi all. I have a possible deal to get a FG. Everything works except the switch under the single drop target on the upper playfield -- this is the drop target that leads back to the shooter lane. The target goes up and down fine, but the switch that registers points sometimes causes resets of the game. The current owner adjusted the switch so it no longer registers points, leaving the drop target otherwise functional.
My question is if I leave it this way, am I just depriving myself from certain points by hitting the target. Or, is this preventing me from completing some major section of the game, like achieving a necessary bonus or 2x scoring or something? I don't understand the rules enough to know.
Thanks in advance for the help.

You arent missing out on anything, but it would be a good idea to find out why the scoring switch is causing resets. I wouldn't let this keep me from buying the game if you have been looking or can get it for a good price.

#992 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Thoughts?

I have one as well and when I have it plugged in my FG resets all the time. After doing some troubleshooting with them I sent it back and they checked it out in their FG and said it worked fine. They sent it back to me but I have not done any further troubleshooting. Without it plugged in my FG runs fine and has never reset. It is only when the Pinpoint strobe board is plugged in. I may get back to it at some point but interested in anything you find.

#993 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Double checked voltage, and it was all good [all boards except the sound board are Alltek]. I unplugged the Pinpoint Strobe Board, and everything worked flawlessly. I kind of went over this before with the Alltek people and the Pinpoint folks, but they could not figure it out. Given the fact that the strobe messed with both the Bally and Alltek MPUs, it seems the issue is with the strobe or the machine [switch or something?]
Thoughts?

Alltek also doesn't make a rectifier board. What are you running for a rectifier board? Perhaps your issue lies there? Have you re-pinned your connectors?

I've got the PinPoint strobe board with Alltek Boards and a Rottendog rectifier board and have zero issues.

#994 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Thoughts?

A couple of of power supply things you could try is to make sure there are no funny shorts between the strobe's dedicated little transformer and the main rectifier board. They should be isolated from each other. You could also physically lift it off the big metal plate and see if something changes.
With that new Altek, you can boot with the strobe unplugged? What happens if you plug it back in after you boot?
When you disconnect the strobe, where are you doing it? Are you unplugging the transformer at the rectifier board or up at the strobe board? You could try pulling the trigger wire (I cannot recall if it is triggered from the solenoid board or from the lighting board). But interrupting that one trigger wire would leave it powered but not firing. If that fixes something then it would seem to be the strobe board firing an unwanted signal back into the MPU.

#995 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

You arent missing out on anything, but it would be a good idea to find out why the scoring switch is causing resets. I wouldn't let this keep me from buying the game if you have been looking or can get it for a good price.

Thanks for confirming! I'm getting the game and will be very happy to join this club shortly. It is a beautifully refurbished example. I'll post pictures when I get it.

And, yes, I do intend on fixing that switch at some point (and will probably solicit help here when I do). I just know how tricky some of these switch matrix issues can be to find, and I want to be able to play the game effectively while I hunt down the cause.

#996 4 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

A couple of of power supply things you could try is to make sure there are no funny shorts between the strobe's dedicated little transformer and the main rectifier board. They should be isolated from each other. You could also physically lift it off the big metal plate and see if something changes.
With that new Altek, you can boot with the strobe unplugged? What happens if you plug it back in after you boot?
When you disconnect the strobe, where are you doing it? Are you unplugging the transformer at the rectifier board or up at the strobe board? You could try pulling the trigger wire (I cannot recall if it is triggered from the solenoid board or from the lighting board). But interrupting that one trigger wire would leave it powered but not firing. If that fixes something then it would seem to be the strobe board firing an unwanted signal back into the MPU.

Thanks to all. A lot of good suggestions.
I am indeed unplugging the strobe at the strobe board. I’ll look at the suggested junctures and report back. Glad to hear I’m not the only one chasing this down.
Thanks again for the posts folks.

#997 4 years ago

Very happy to have finally joined the club. I picked up this beautifully refurbished copy yesterday. It needs a few adjustments, which I will probably solicit some help with a little later, but for now I'm enjoying playing it. It is a brutally hard game!

IMG_1024 (resized).JPGIMG_1024 (resized).JPGIMG_1025 (resized).JPGIMG_1025 (resized).JPGIMG_1026 (resized).JPGIMG_1026 (resized).JPGIMG_1031 (resized).JPGIMG_1031 (resized).JPG

#998 4 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

Very happy to have finally joined the club. I picked up this beautifully refurbished copy yesterday. It needs a few adjustments, which I will probably solicit some help with a little later, but for now I'm enjoying playing it. It is a brutally hard game!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks great in your basement Mark. Enjoy!!!!

#999 4 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

It looks great in your basement Mark. Enjoy!!!!

Thanks! You did a great job bringing the game to life!

#1000 4 years ago

1000th post! "Try again, Earthling."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 45.00
$ 45.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 10.00
$ 90.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp
Decorations
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 99.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 25.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,788 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 56.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/20 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.