IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 57.
#901 4 years ago

I just changed my settings to liberal (3ball.) It makes a noticeable difference!

#902 4 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Wow, do most people really set it to "Conservative"? That's brutal. I assumed that might possibly be the case for tournaments, but the manual says that "Liberal" is the recommended setting for all switches when on 3-ball.[quoted image]

Maybe because that's the way some of us remembering playing Flash Gordon when it was on location in the '80s.....it was a mean playing SOB!

#903 4 years ago

I asked the question because it seems like the main element that changes between 1979 and 1980 in Bally games is the carry over of progression ball to ball. It is weird that people seem to play FG (one of the hardest games already) on the hardest settings (conservative) which does not carry over the progress.

After realizing that most FGs I have played have been on conservative settings I figured I would ask the question of the club!

It seems like I would prefer to have progress saved ball to ball, but I didn't want to be the one person who did so!

#904 4 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

I asked the question because it seems like the main element that changes between 1979 and 1980 in Bally games is the carry over of progression ball to ball. It is weird that people seem to play FG (one of the hardest games already) on the hardest settings (conservative) which does not carry over the progress.
After realizing that most FGs I have played have been on conservative settings I figured I would ask the question of the club!
It seems like I would prefer to have progress saved ball to ball, but I didn't want to be the one person who did so!

Doesnt really matter if others do or not, as long as you find enjoyment out of it!

#905 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Doesnt really matter if others do or not, as long as you find enjoyment out of it!

That is true!

#906 4 years ago

Joining the club. I picked this up a couple of weeks ago from an old operator. True barn find. It was buried in the back And had to move a ton of stuff to get it out. Glad I can save it. I already got a Hardtop for it. It will be a lot of work, but worth it if I ever get it done.

223D718D-C1F8-4E3D-B378-A29C7EB5204C (resized).jpeg223D718D-C1F8-4E3D-B378-A29C7EB5204C (resized).jpeg3DB15D3F-D706-4D14-B3B8-1C9AFC405021 (resized).jpeg3DB15D3F-D706-4D14-B3B8-1C9AFC405021 (resized).jpegD23C88E1-FF51-45FE-8A52-70674E410F3A (resized).jpegD23C88E1-FF51-45FE-8A52-70674E410F3A (resized).jpeg
#907 4 years ago

I've been playing my newly acquired FG for awhile and have a few questions, I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.

Sound Option (setting 18): do you use 00, 01, 02 or 03...chimes, chimes & background, noise w/o background or noise w/ background?

The voice callouts "Flash", "Emperor Ming Awaits" sound somewhat garbled/scratchy, is that common or normal?

When either of the 15 second clock timer lights are lit, does that mean that scoring is just multiplied, or are you supposed to hit something? Is there a difference between the two 15 second timers?

Thanks.

Robert

#908 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I've been playing my newly acquired FG for awhile and have a few questions, I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me.
Sound Option (setting 18): do you use 00, 01, 02 or 03...chimes, chimes & background, noise w/o background or noise w/ background?
The voice callouts "Flash", "Emperor Ming Awaits" sound somewhat garbled/scratchy, is that common or normal?
When either of the 15 second clock timer lights are lit, does that mean that scoring is just multiplied, or are you supposed to hit something? Is there a difference between the two 15 second timers?
Thanks.
Robert

Regarding #1, if I recall correctly noise with background. “Chimes” keeps it old school, and is kinda boring for an otherwise great game.

If callouts are muddy I’d say no, not normal. Mine plays pretty clear. Adjust the pots on the sound card perhaps?

Lastly, here’s the section from the manual regarding 15 second scoring stuff.....

446FC725-C77B-44F4-BE09-C79034939D03 (resized).jpeg446FC725-C77B-44F4-BE09-C79034939D03 (resized).jpeg
#909 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Thanks.
Robert

If the sound is not clear, check with Big Daddy or another vendor for a soundboard rebuild kit. Caps and the like get old and I suspect that is what is causing your issue. Also, make sure all plugs and connections are clean and solders solid - but I bet it's a dried up cap or some other component on the soundboard.

#910 4 years ago

The board looks like it has been rebuilt.

54F0251C-E21B-497E-AECF-28D4A85F28DD (resized).jpeg54F0251C-E21B-497E-AECF-28D4A85F28DD (resized).jpeg
#911 4 years ago

The Windows on those eprom chips need to be covered.

#912 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Thanks.
Robert

My callouts are somewhat garbled as well. I rebuilt my sound board but it didn't improve it any. I haven't had time to look any further into it.

For the 15 second clock the scoring is multiplied by either 2x or 3x depending on which is lit (left is 2x and right is 3x). If both are lit then it is multiplied by 5x.

#913 4 years ago
Quoted from kguenther6:

My callouts are somewhat garbled as well. I rebuilt my sound board but it didn't improve it any. I haven't had time to look any further into it.
For the 15 second clock the scoring is multiplied by either 2x or 3x depending on which is lit (left is 2x and right is 3x). If both are lit then it is multiplied by 5x.

Check the volume pots on the sound board and inside the coin door. Turn the knobs back and forth several times to break up any seized crud that might have worked itself in it over the years. Did you replace the pots on the board when you recapped it? My kit came with new pots.

#914 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Check the volume pots on the sound board and inside the coin door. Turn the knobs back and forth several times to break up any seized crud that might have worked itself in it over the years. Did you replace the pots on the board when you recapped it? My kit came with new pots.

My kit didn't have the pots. I turned them back and forth a few time before I rebuilt the board. I'll try and replace them. Thanks for the tip.

#915 4 years ago

I may have a lead on a FG project...probably my holy grail.
The central part of the lower playfield is down to the wood--not the worst one I've seen but certainly among the worst.

What's the story with Flash Gordon hard tops right now? Still available?

Also interested to know if there are any updated ROMs available.
(some pins like Firepower and Jungle Lord have new ones which have improved game play...I can't imagine FG being better or harder but it is worth asking).

#916 4 years ago
Quoted from ss-pinball:

I may have a lead on a FG project...probably my holy grail.
The central part of the lower playfield is down to the wood--not the worst one I've seen but certainly among the worst.
What's the story with Flash Gordon hard tops right now? Still available?
Also interested to know if there are any updated ROMs available.
(some pins like Firepower and Jungle Lord have new ones which have improved game play...I can't imagine FG being better or harder but it is worth asking).

If you find any I'd like to get the images to compare to the original to see what changed in the code.

A while back I made a custom version of code for a Bally Blackjack that added a couple new tunes and changed the rules where you can lose points if you mess up.

I'd like to work on some custom code updates for Flash Gordon too. At some point if I can find a Flash Gordon project then I can look into it. Either the ones I've found were too far or the one I was going to make the 8 hour drive (each way) to get was sold as I was making arrangements to go get it. At this point even a salvageable project would be fine even if some boards or parts are missing. They made enough of these machines so there has got to be more packed away somewhere.

#917 4 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If you find any I'd like to get the images to compare to the original to see what changed in the code.
A while back I made a custom version of code for a Bally Blackjack that added a couple new tunes and changed the rules where you can lose points if you mess up.
I'd like to work on some custom code updates for Flash Gordon too. At some point if I can find a Flash Gordon project then I can look into it. Either the ones I've found were too far or the one I was going to make the 8 hour drive (each way) to get was sold as I was making arrangements to go get it. At this point even a salvageable project would be fine even if some boards or parts are missing. They made enough of these machines so there has got to be more packed away somewhere.

You would think they'd be easier to find, for sure.

#918 4 years ago

What do people have the slope of their game set too? I have mine at 5.5 deg, and thinking of going to 6.

The manual doesn't say, so any comments?

Robert

#919 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

What do people have the slope of their game set too? I have mine at 5.5 deg, and thinking of going to 6.
Robert

I keep mine at 6.5, and it seems perfect to me. 5.5 sounds pokey to me.

#920 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I keep mine at 6.5, and it seems perfect to me. 5.5 sounds pokey to me.

Yes, it is slower at 5.5 deg. Will try 6.5.

Robert

1 week later
#921 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Robert

5.5 to 6.0 for me. The steeper the pitch, the less side-to-side action (and challenge). I think you neuter a lot of great games by pitching them too high. Just my 2 cents.

#922 4 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

5.5 to 6.0 for me.

Thanks.

Robert

1 week later
#923 4 years ago

Hello,

I'm in the process of a restore.

I have 2 broken inlane/outlane guides. Is there a source for these?

Also does anybody know if there are any US sellers of spinner decals?

Thanks,
Mike

flashgordonparts (resized).JPGflashgordonparts (resized).JPG
#925 4 years ago
Quoted from mwiz:

Hello,

Thanks,
Mike[quoted image]

I'm also looking for spinner decals, any help locating these would be greatly appreciated!

#926 4 years ago

If you want to make your own decals (or can't find them) use peel/stick shipping labels, print off high res pictures of the spinner (to size) and cut them to size. Clean off your current spinner with rubbing alcohol, apply decal, then apply a piece of mylar over the decal. Here are the images via google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=flash+gordon+spinner+decal&rlz=1C1GTPM_enUS748US748&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZqcKD9cjjAhVECKwKHcdOB44Q_AUIEigC&biw=1920&bih=937#imgrc=n8qrVrqAghMNDM:

#927 4 years ago

I picked up spinner decals from Action Pinball. Looks good, to what mine originally looked like. As for wire forms, I believe I used these 2 - 1/2 inch ones from Marcos, and they were a direct drop in. Just measure it up first.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5300-01

Quoted from mwiz:

Hello,
I have 2 broken inlane/outlane guides. Is there a source for these?
Thanks,
Mike

#928 4 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

I picked up spinner decals from Action Pinball. Looks good, to what mine originally looked like. As for wire forms, I believe I used these 2 - 1/2 inch ones from Marcos, and they were a direct drop in. Just measure it up first.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/535-5300-01

Thanks I just ordered spinner decals from Action Pinball. I got some for my Meteor too!

2 weeks later
#929 4 years ago

have a Flash Gordon Hardtop i am not going to use. pm with interest.

1 week later
#930 4 years ago

I restored a FG in 2012 and sold it to Don Margolis who has since passed away. He sold it very quickly and I'm wondering where it is now. IIRC the serial number was 1047 and it has the sounds plus and vocalizer sound board set up. This coin door should jog someone's memory.

P7140918 (resized).JPGP7140918 (resized).JPGPA100971 (resized).JPGPA100971 (resized).JPG
#931 4 years ago

Got my Flash on the weekend. Has a few gremlins i need to address but its a nice future restore project.

IMG_5939 (resized).JPGIMG_5939 (resized).JPG
#932 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

Got my Flash on the weekend. Has a few gremlins i need to address but its a nice future restore project.[quoted image]

Nice. Looks like it will clean up quite nicely - really good find!

#933 4 years ago

2 interesting things happening here. Can you spot them?

IMG_5934 crop (resized).jpgIMG_5934 crop (resized).jpg
#934 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

2 interesting things happening here. Can you spot them?[quoted image]

No J1 connector and soldered directly to the bridge rectifier and the second rectifier burnt a hole thru the power module so a giant gallop of solder is patching the hole with a jumper to ground?

#935 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

No J1 connector and soldered directly to the bridge rectifier and the second rectifier burnt a hole thru the power module so a giant gallop of solder is patching the hole with a jumper to ground?

J1 is was not on yet as I was still setting it up. As you noticed one rectifier is remote wired and located on the bottom of the cabinet. That gob of solder must be to fix it like you said. I have never come across that yet. I’m not sure why there is a black wire about 2 inches long coming out from it.

#936 4 years ago

Is there a better replacement board to get of the few that are offered ?

#937 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

https://nvram.weebly.com/new-pcbs.html

#938 4 years ago

Maybe I’m overlooking it but I don’t see a replacement power board from weebly for the 2518-54

#939 4 years ago
Quoted from wolffcub:

I had luck with: http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/

The board I bought is midway down the page. Been great.

#940 4 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I had luck with: http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/
The board I bought is midway down the page. Been great.

Actually, you have to click on the "new boards" link to the left, then go midway down that page. The site is sort of old school awkward, but I've always had luck with the vendor. Call to make sure it's in stock.

BTW: Love the remote bridge rectifier.

#941 4 years ago

I just ordered a replacement AS-2518-62 strobe board from big daddy and noticed his page says he only has a few left as of 6/20.

http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/ProductPages/PinPointBoards.html

If you need one, you might want to order soon in case they don't get remade for a while.

#942 4 years ago

Looking for a very nice, or NOS BG for FG..... Waiting for a BGresto glass is an option but last one took 4 months

#943 4 years ago

HUGE shout-out to Cliffy-- he just created a new set of laser-cut, stainless steel ramps for my newly restored Flash Gordon that are killer.

They are simply gorgeous and they play flawlessly.

I recommend anyone that has a set of FG ramps that are as scratched and bent as mine were order a set from him. I know he only made 5 sets to start, so get your order in if you want these!

Thanks again, Cliff!

Cliffy-FG-Ramps - 10 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 10 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 2 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 2 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 3 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 3 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 4 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 4 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 5 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 5 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 8 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 8 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 9 (resized).jpgCliffy-FG-Ramps - 9 (resized).jpgIMG_4133 (resized).JPGIMG_4133 (resized).JPG
#944 4 years ago

Thanks to doghouse for stepping up to loan me his originals. Mine will never rust since I've made them in mirror polished stainless (of course!)
As of 8/19 I do not have a price yet as I havent yet been billed from my laser guys nor the stainless supplier. They do not normally polish to #8 finish in this gauge so it took a while to get and was a small batch order. Bending without marring is the really tedious part of this chore but boy do they look fabulous installed

FG-ramps-001 (resized).jpgFG-ramps-001 (resized).jpgFG-ramps-003 (resized).jpgFG-ramps-003 (resized).jpgFG-ramps-004 (resized).jpgFG-ramps-004 (resized).jpg
#945 4 years ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

Thanks to doghouse for stepping up to loan me his originals. Mine will never rust since I've made them in mirror polished stainless (of course!)
As of 8/19 I do not have a price yet as I havent yet been billed from my laser guys nor the stainless supplier. They do not normally polish to #8 finish in this gauge so it took a while to get and was a small batch order. Bending without marring is the really tedious part of this chore but boy do they look fabulous installed[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those look great Cliff! Is there any way to offer them in the "brushed" variety for those of us not looking for the mirror finish?

#946 4 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Those look great Cliff! Is there any way to offer them in the "brushed" variety for those of us not looking for the mirror finish?

anything is possible. It depends on the interest level which determines cost effectiveness.

#947 4 years ago

Those look great! Interested depending on cost.

#948 4 years ago

Last night was a good night! Put my undivided attention into flash and resolved all the light issues but the strobe. Many lights were not working at all so went thru all the steps of checking / testing everything tip to tail. Most were transistor issues and some were wiring issues. The wiring issue ones were the most interesting. The 2 lights to the back of the playfield behind mings face were shorting out on a abundance of old unused staples that were in that general area. It had me scratching my head for a while till I actually noticed how many staples were there. Pulled out about 10 put and then re-stapled the wires back and that issue was solved.

The other issue I found was that someone installed a wire from the 2 lower pop thumpers (that remain on all the time) and ran a wire to the top thumper and just soldered it to the other wire feed. I think what happened is the transistor blew for the top as its not a GI light one and they wanted it to illuminate some how so this was the solution. Now with the extra wire removed and that transistor replaced it working as it should. That one top thumper has eaten 3 led bulbs and I was wondering what was going on a week ago.

I already replaced the transistor for the strobe but its still not firing. I will try to hunt this gremlin down tonight.

IMG_6038 (resized).JPGIMG_6038 (resized).JPG
#949 4 years ago

Still looking for my FG project.

Any leads out there?

#950 4 years ago

Ok got my logic test in hand. Does it matter where I get power for it? What should I actually use for power ?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Boards
Troxel Repair

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 90.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 57.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/19?hl=ss-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.