Topic Stats

• 1,013 posts
  • 170 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by Nokoro
  • Topic is favorited by 92 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 517 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1038_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_1035 (resized).JPG
IMG_1034 (resized).JPG
IMG_1026 (resized).JPG
IMG_1031 (resized).JPG
IMG_1025 (resized).JPG
IMG_1024 (resized).JPG
DSCN5535 (resized).JPG
FlashGordonStrobeTransformer_plug2a.jpg
FlashGordonStrobeTransformer_plug1a.jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
00A3712A-1A58-487D-9F94-BD49FA85B6F6 (resized).jpeg
C641A09F-7FD4-4DFE-A480-B29DD95980FD (resized).jpeg
IMG_6038 (resized).JPG
FG-ramps-004 (resized).jpg

There are 1013 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 21.
#751 6 months ago

Right on, thanks!

1 week later
#752 6 months ago

I have a CPR Flash Gordon playfield I bought in 2013. I never got around to installing it, and now getting rid of all pinball stuff. Does anyone know what this could sell for?

Thanks,

Brad

#753 6 months ago

Can someone please post a pic showing how the spring is connected to the single drop down target assembly?

Mine is missing and I can't seem to figure it out.

#754 6 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Can someone please post a pic showing how the spring is connected to the single drop down target assembly?
Mine is missing and I can't seem to figure it out.

Hopefully this picture will help

20190406_135052 (resized).jpg
#755 6 months ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Hopefully this picture will help
[quoted image]

Thanks a bunch. It's strange though with that mount point it doesn't seem like the spring would be able to apply any pressure on the target. I'll try it and see.

#756 6 months ago

Did some painting today!

2C3D1532-5567-42F2-BA69-B622918BC30B (resized).jpeg4D2309D2-A543-4B94-8CC0-F7B77AA1C5E3 (resized).jpeg7C5C40E2-15AE-47CE-A351-1EB62606F0E8 (resized).jpegA27CCA2E-35FF-4F85-BD1E-610F2FF9A34E (resized).jpegABDEE1A0-F674-4913-819E-BA6873070889 (resized).jpegB525A4B3-9070-44E6-8E14-A2054A19EA9F (resized).jpegDDE2FE8B-6A3C-4444-9EBE-D0F70021DAD6 (resized).jpeg
#757 6 months ago

what color for the gold/yellow?

#758 6 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

Did some painting today!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Nice! I gotta do this to mine too. Mine is a nice pink just like your was.

#759 6 months ago
Quoted from Enochsmoken:

I have a CPR Flash Gordon playfield I bought in 2013. I never got around to installing it, and now getting rid of all pinball stuff. Does anyone know what this could sell for?
Thanks,
Brad

I'm interested in buying it from you. Let me know!

#760 6 months ago

I started working on the same process today.

20190406_104528 (resized).jpg20190406_130051 (resized).jpg20190406_130056 (resized).jpg
#761 6 months ago

You guys posting cabinet restores makes me want to do mine!

#762 6 months ago

Anyone have this problem? I replaced all coil sleeves and cleaned all mechanisms on my Flash Gordon. Now the saucer lobs the ball into the glass when throwing it onto the upper playfield. It does not hit hard and the game plays fine but I cannot see a nice way to reduce the saucer power. This was part of a long restore so the dirty coil sleeves are long gone.

#763 6 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Anyone have this problem? I replaced all coil sleeves and cleaned all mechanisms on my Flash Gordon. Now the saucer lobs the ball into the glass when throwing it onto the upper playfield. It does not hit hard and the game plays fine but I cannot see a nice way to reduce the saucer power. This was part of a long restore so the dirty coil sleeves are long gone.

Not sure of a fix, but mine is doing the same thing after installing new coil sleeves all around, and a thorough cleaning.

#764 6 months ago

First coat of red. What a huge difference from pink.

20190320_205352 (resized).jpg20190407_133940 (resized).jpg
#765 6 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Im also having this issue. -- same thing, cleaned m ch and replaced coil sleeves, now it's too powerful or something. Anyone know a trick to adjust?

#766 6 months ago

I have not really looked at the options yet but limiting the travel of the plunger would reduce power to the ball lob. A small nylon washer ahead of the coil stop might do it. Or a collar at the free end of the plunger would do it as well. Just have not had time to play with it. I figured I was the only one with the issue.

#767 6 months ago

I'm hoping someone can come up with a rattle can version of the yellow/gold color that matches the original. I could never find one.

#768 6 months ago
Quoted from jj44114:

I'm hoping someone can come up with a rattle can version of the yellow/gold color that matches the original. I could never find one.

Check Molotow colors out. I’m using they Gold Dollar for a more metallic look, but they have a ton of variety

#769 6 months ago

Yea, but nothing like the original mustard/ gold color.

#770 6 months ago

#771 6 months ago

I used a Yellow on mine and like it.

IMG_0807 (resized).jpgIMG_0808 (resized).jpgIMG_1215 (resized).jpg
#772 6 months ago

For you guys painting cabs...what playfield restoration did you go with. Hardtop? CPR? NOS? None?

#773 6 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

For you guys painting cabs...what playfield restoration did you go with. Hardtop? CPR? NOS? None?

Hardtop for me. It was way-way-way cheaper than tracking down one of the rare CPR playfields at this point, and didn't require as much work as a full swap in my mind.

#774 6 months ago
Quoted from Stretch7:I used a Yellow on mine and like it.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I picked up a gold metallic Rust-Oleum I'm going to try for mine and see what it looks like. The yellow I had picked up seemed way too bright.

Quoted from FatPanda:

I went with the Hardtop for mine. After I installed the hardtop, I had no choice but to redo the cab, since it looked so horrible compared to the Hardtop.

#775 6 months ago

This is just the test spray of the gold I am going with. If the weather was cooperating I planned to do it today but looking like that isn't going to be the case.

pasted_image (resized).png
#776 6 months ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

Quoted from Tsskinne:

This is just the test spray of the gold I am going with. If the weather was cooperating I planned to do it today but looking like that isn't going to be the case. [quoted image]

May I ask a favor and let us know what paint and color you are using?? It makes it easier for those who will be doing restorations in the future to be able to recreate a certain look.....Thanks!

#777 6 months ago

CAUTION!!!!

Do not use Molotow Gold Dollar over Rustoleum Gloss Black!!!!!!!!

I just found out the hard way

86D6BA66-2CBD-45D5-9425-A268D0A828C5 (resized).jpeg
#778 6 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

CAUTION!!!!
I just found out the hard way[quoted image]

Damn! That sucks!

#779 6 months ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Damn! That sucks!

No joke. Thankfully I only did the head and not the lower body. The gloss finish may be the issue. I sanded the exposed black paint on the other side quickly with some 2000 grit and it seemed to help. I'm painting a test board now that I will try sanding with a grittier paper and see how that works out before I move on to the body or switch brands of paint.

Just sad because I love the way this gold looks.

#780 6 months ago

That’s the second side with the sanding. I also sprayed inside the head where I already had black gloss since it will be covered with metal anyway, no reaction there either. I’m guessing it’s the gloss smoothness that gives the gold nothing to adhere to. Will post results of the test board in coming days.

From a few feet away I think you can see how great the gold looks though.

A8F15A5E-E082-4241-8439-C1AC543551D6 (resized).jpeg83738E33-5581-4A8F-9544-0B9EA157B056 (resized).jpeg

#781 6 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

CAUTION!!!!

That is exactly what i found. I have to be choosey with my paints as not all will go good together. I have found i use a certain marine paint for my base coulers like red, white, blue , black and then i can use any spray bomb from the Rustoleum 2x line and have no reaction but any other brand even rustolem original will react.

Quoted from AUKraut:

May I ask a favor and let us know what paint and color you are using?? It makes it easier for those who will be doing restorations in the future to be able to recreate a certain look.....Thanks!

Ill have to see what it was i used but i believe it was rustoleum 2x sunset gold

#782 6 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

That’s the second side with the sanding. I also sprayed inside the head where I already had black gloss since it will be covered with metal anyway, no reaction their either. I’m guessing it’s the gloss smoothness that gives the gold nothing to adhere to. Will post results of the test board in coming days.
From a few feet away I think you can see how great the gold looks though.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Awe man, that sucks. Let us know what you figure out. I was thinking of using the Molotow, same type for each layer. I had that happen too when I tried to mix 2 types of paints. But since that time, I haven't done anything to figure out what does work.

#783 6 months ago

I'm made some headway on my cabinet tonight. I'll give it a couple more days and I'll stencil the gold.

20190410_211149 (resized).jpg20190410_211154 (resized).jpg20190410_214339 (resized).jpg20190410_214412 (resized).jpg
#784 6 months ago

So sprayed this board with primer, and then black gloss (I sanded the board smooth first). Let dry for 4 hours and then sanded the far end of the board, and didn’t sand the other part to spray gold over it thinking I would have just recreated my head paint issue. Nope all gold looks fine. WTF! Any ideas?

002E9E14-57FD-48C7-A570-1FA9714FFD07 (resized).jpeg806FB0EC-0C4B-4BEA-9966-4A6526A14BA4 (resized).jpeg
#785 6 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

So sprayed this board with primer, and then black gloss (I sanded the board smooth first). Let dry for 4 hours and then sanded the far end of the board, and didn’t sand the other part to spray gold over it thinking I would have just recreated my head paint issue. Nope all gold looks fine. WTF! Any ideas?

Gloss paint can take a while to cure. Top layer drying quicker can cause crackling. Any humidity?

#786 6 months ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

Gloss paint can take a while to cure. Top layer drying quicker can cause crackling. Any humidity?

On the actual cabinet I painted the black gloss 5 days ago. Hasn’t really been humid here yet. The test board only had a few hours of drying before I sprayed the gold on, but I don’t think that would work on cabinet because I think the stencil would pull the paint.

#787 6 months ago

New Playfield Protector for Flash Gordon. 75$ if picked up Friday at Allentown, or you pay actual shipping.

IMG_3567 (resized).jpg
#788 6 months ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

What paint did you use? Was it all the same brand for the different colors?

#789 6 months ago

I was recently working on a remaster of Flash Gordon for digital pinball enthusiasts. I created a new apron design which is kind of funky. In the 'Modern Retro' version of Flash Gordon, I added a feature where you can switch between the original game and rules to the remastered version in an instant by holding up both flippers for 2.5 seconds. A pretty cool feature, which is why it says 'retro switch' on the apron art.

!Apron2 (resized).JPG

#790 6 months ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

4 hours is not that far out of the recoat time window. It may not have cured to much of a depth and then you sanded off part of the cured layer. I have done the exact same tests and also had similar perplexing results. The difference has always been that with my test pieces I never took the time to really sand it smooth, prime, sand, prime, sand, then top coat. It would be a pain but a true duplication of the cabinet conditions would be needed.

#791 6 months ago

I just finished refurbing my Flash Gordon. Changed the color scheme and concentrated on the red and black. All black rubber, bumper skirts, flipper bats, etc...

It looks fantastic and is now even tougher since all three new flipper bats are smaller than the originals that came with the game. Not much smaller, but they are and it makes a big difference!

All incandescence bulbs!

Rob

IMG_8679.jpgIMG_8680.jpegIMG_8681.jpg

#792 6 months ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

I just finished refurbing my Flash Gordon. Changed the color scheme and concentrated on the red and black. All black rubber, bumper skirts, flipper bats, etc...
It looks fantastic and is now even tougher since all three new flipper bats are smaller than the originals that came with the game. Not much smaller, but they are and it makes a big difference!
All incandescence bulbs!
Rob

Looks sharp!

#793 6 months ago

Just did the gold stenciling tonight. I'm always my hardest critic, and it looks great from 10 feet away. But I'm not blown away by my cabinet prep. But it is a huge Improvement from where it was in lovely pink. I used Rust-Oleum Regal Red, Rust-Oleum gloss black and Rust-Oleum Specialty Metallic.

20190320_212540 (resized).jpg20190412_205143 (resized).jpg20190412_212223 (resized).jpg20190412_212317 (resized).jpg20190412_212345 (resized).jpg15551194421806855418742683635921 (resized).jpg
#794 6 months ago

That looks sensational epeabs!!

#795 6 months ago

Looks Great from where Iam sitting

#796 6 months ago

I bought a cointaker led kit and it came with a slow changing led but I do not know where it goes. Any suggestions?

#797 6 months ago
Quoted from jkashani:

I bought a cointaker led kit and it came with a slow changing led but I do not know where it goes. Any suggestions?

The credit indicator under the apron?

#798 6 months ago

Turned out pretty nice in the end. Started to reassemble it last night, hope to be flipping it by this weekend.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#799 6 months ago

Does anybody know if the targets on this era of Bally games ever used backing foam?

Finishing up my FG restore and none of my stand-up targets have foam behind them. Wondering if I should add it or if it it's considered "as intended" without it?

#800 6 months ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Does anybody know if the targets on this era of Bally games ever used backing foam?
Finishing up my FG restore and none of my stand-up targets have foam behind them. Wondering if I should add it or if it it's considered "as intended" without it?

Mine didn't and doesn't have foam behind the drops.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 90.00
$ 399.95
There are 1013 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside