IMG_6253 (resized).jpg
IMG_6254 (resized).jpg
c928de729783bf855db2c4fad7afdbee637c54ed (resized).jpg
cc89192186c76bbcfae62d319969e24fd9478da8 (resized).jpg
N-68X (resized).jpg
Big Daddy Flash (resized).png
IMG_1200 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6257 (resized).jpeg
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 57.
#701 5 years ago
Quoted from blowback1976:

Where'd you get the 2" silver flipper? Looks good and thinking about do that to mine, since I'm in the process of doing a hardtop as well.

PinballLife. It is billet aluminum. Seems to work fine. I haven't played another FG to know if there is a difference.

#702 5 years ago

Where can I find a replacement flipper for the upper right smaller flipper (I think 2 inches)? Also, where can I find a rebuild kit for the same? Thank You in Advance

#703 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

Where can I find a replacement flipper for the upper right smaller flipper (I think 2 inches)? Also, where can I find a rebuild kit for the same? Thank You in Advance

Pbresource should have everything you need.

#704 5 years ago

Anyone have spare Ball guides for the in/outlanes? I'm looking for replacements on both sides. Part number M-121-59.

#705 5 years ago

Anyone have spare Ball guides for the in/outlanes? I'm looking for replacements on both sides. Part number M-121-59.

I think Cliffy makes them.
http://www.passionforpinball.com/

#706 5 years ago

Sorry, meant the wire guides before the metal flipper ones.

#707 5 years ago

Sorry, meant the wire guides before the metal flipper ones.

This thread may be helpful
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wire-ball-guide-help

#708 5 years ago

Looks like I'll be making my own then. Nice find.

#709 5 years ago

Working through a couple small issues with my FG. All my GI is working with the exception of these four bulbs. They flash on upon startup, but then they all go out at the same time. When I check voltage compared to other GI, all four read differently than anything else. Any thoughts is far as a direction to troubleshoot?

20190312_094413 (resized).jpg20190312_094413 (resized).jpg
#710 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Working through a couple small issues with my FG. All my GI is working with the exception of these four bulbs. They flash on upon startup, but then they all go out at the same time. When I check voltage compared to other GI, all four read differently than anything else. Any thoughts is far as a direction to troubleshoot?
[quoted image]

Have you checked the wired connections on all of them? They might be wired in a chain, and if something "upstream" is loose, it may affect the bulbs "downstream."

#711 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

[quoted image]

First Try using regular non led lamps.
If they work then you may want to get this piggyback board:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-09-011-052

I think these are driven by the lamp drive board located on the back of the backbox door.There might be a bad transistor.

#712 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Are those the ones under the Ming plastics? If so, they only light up during certain times during play. That's why they turn on when first powered up. You should also see them cycle during attract.

#713 5 years ago

Are those the ones under the Ming plastics? If so, they only light up during certain times during play. That's why they turn on when first powered up. You should also see them cycle during attract.

If they are controlled lamps, they should work under test mode. If not, then they should be lit as GI. Different approaches depending in what kind of lamps they are. I cant remember off hand which ones they are but knowing that would help troubleshooting.

#714 5 years ago

Yes. They are the ones under the Ming plastic. I'll have to see what they do during attract mode. But when the game initially boots up they come on and then they go off.

#715 5 years ago

My bad. When I actually credit a game, those four lights do come on.

#716 5 years ago
Quoted from jkashani:

http://www.actionpinball.com/

#717 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

[quoted image]

Those are controlled lamps, controlled as two pairs although in game play they always blink together. They are often on steady but when Ming speaks, they blink together. As others stated they should blink in lamp test mode.

#718 5 years ago

The Ming lights are fine. But working through a couple other small electrical gremlins. With the machine sitting in attract mode, if you trigger the switch for the saucer, the solenoid will engage. The other strange occurrence is the single drop target in the upper playfield, again while in attract mode, manually dropping the target has sometimes credited a game. Also once a game has been credited, sometimes hitting the right flipper will score 10000 points and create sound. I've traced wires under the playfield, but so far, have not found any that are crossed or touching or chafed. Not quite sure of a direction to troubleshoot in after looking at wires.

#719 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

With the machine sitting in attract mode, if you trigger the switch for the saucer, the solenoid will engage

This is normal. It is that way to make sure the ball is kicked back to the through at the end of the game (if a tilt occurred).

#720 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

The Ming lights are fine. But working through a couple other small electrical gremlins. With the machine sitting in attract mode, if you trigger the switch for the saucer, the solenoid will engage. The other strange occurrence is the single drop target in the upper playfield, again while in attract mode, manually dropping the target has sometimes credited a game. Also once a game has been credited, sometimes hitting the right flipper will score 10000 points and create sound. I've traced wires under the playfield, but so far, have not found any that are crossed or touching or chafed. Not quite sure of a direction to troubleshoot in after looking at wires.

Check your switches. If you're getting a credit, I would suspect the credit switches in the coin door may not be adjusted correctly. If you're getting points, there's a switch that is gapped too closely and the vibrations are causing the switch to make contact.

#721 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Check your switches. If you're getting a credit, I would suspect the credit switches in the coin door may not be adjusted correctly. If you're getting points, there's a switch that is gapped too closely and the vibrations are causing the switch to make contact.

I keep checking switches and readjusting if I find something that looks like its too close. So I must be overlooking something switch wise. I need to pull the door all apart and clean everything and I want to rebuild the coil there is well.

#722 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I keep checking switches and readjusting if I find something that looks like its too close. So I must be overlooking something switch wise. I need to pull the door all apart and clean everything and I want to rebuild the coil there is well.

you are aware there are diagnostics in the game right? You should be using the lights, coils, and switch tests for your last few posts. Look at the menu in the manual to see how using the diagnostics button cycles through tests and then adjustments and audits.

Sounds like you could have some switch matrix issues.. shorts or diode issues.

#723 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

you are aware there are diagnostics in the game right? You should be using the lights, coils, and switch tests for your last few posts. Look at the menu in the manual to see how using the diagnostics button cycles through tests and then adjustments and audits.
Sounds like you could have some switch matrix issues.. shorts or diode issues.

Yes. During switch test. I'm not finding any stuck switches, which is why I'm a bit perplexed.

#724 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Yes. During switch test. I'm not finding any stuck switches, which is why I'm a bit perplexed.

because you're describing not stuck switches, but issues with multiple switches triggering when one or more switches are tripped. This is classic switch matrix issues due to diode issues.

https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting

Bally games have the extra fun that some switches have the small capacitors that can fail and will act as a short as well. People snip one leg when they think that is the problem.. but that normally shows as a stuck switch when its the capacitor.

#725 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

because you're describing not stuck switches, but issues with multiple switches triggering when one or more switches are tripped. This is classic switch matrix issues due to diode issues.
https://pinballrehab.com/1-articles/solid-state-repair/repair-guides/146-switch-matrix-theory-and-troubleshooting
Bally games have the extra fun that some switches have the small capacitors that can fail and will act as a short as well. People snip one leg when they think that is the problem.. but that normally shows as a stuck switch when its the capacitor.

@flynnibus. Thank you. That may explain some of my symptoms. Should I start testing diodes with the switches I've had issues with? All of the small capacitors are connected currently . And again, I'm not showing stuck switches in switch tests. Every pin I play with, I seem to learn something new as far as testing, troubleshooting, Etc.

#726 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

flynnibus. Thank you. That may explain some of my symptoms. Should I start testing diodes with the switches I've had issues with? All of the small capacitors are connected currently . And again, I'm not showing stuck switches in switch tests. Every pin I play with, I seem to learn something new as far as testing, troubleshooting, Etc.

When the game is playing, do you get any false firing of pop bumpers or slings?

#727 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

When the game is playing, do you get any false firing of pop bumpers or slings?

No. No false firings.

#728 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

No. No false firings.

Do any of the switches have the original old caps on them? They are usually green.

#729 5 years ago

Hey guys I’m finishing up my restore project FG that I traded for and I just realized that I’m missing the entire ball kickout coil mechanism.

I don’t have any of it, no mounting bracket, no coil, and no metal kick arm to push the ball out of the trough and into the shooter lane.

Does anyone know if these parts are available anywhere?

#730 5 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Do any of the switches have the original old caps on them? They are usually green.

I found one switch with a green. Everything else is red.

#731 5 years ago

Not to speak too soon, but I may have found my phantom switch issue. I had a game started and I opened the coin door. When I closed it, it started scoring and making sounds. Kept trying it and it kept doing the same. Upon further inspection, my left coin chute was contacting the kickout switch. I tweaked the switch contacts a bit and have played several games without any further issues. I will play it some more to see if anything else acts up.

#732 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Hey guys I’m finishing up my restore project FG that I traded for and I just realized that I’m missing the entire ball kickout coil mechanism.
I don’t have any of it, no mounting bracket, no coil, and no metal kick arm to push the ball out of the trough and into the shooter lane.
Does anyone know if these parts are available anywhere?

eBay

#733 5 years ago

There is a used assembly for a SILVERBALL MANIA on ebay right now. It looks to be the same as the AS-2694-3 assembly shown in the Bally 1980-1 parts catalog. Looks like it should work in a Flash Gordon.

#734 5 years ago

Been working with mjalexan on getting my game ready for the hardtop and cabinet restoration. Been documenting it via Instagram mostly.
Cleared it with SprayMax 2k after getting it all sanded and prepped. Looking forward to laying the hardtop itself down on it.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvAdH9OFBWb/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvBrQEwFb9L/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BvFPqGrlvEu/

#735 5 years ago
Quoted from rack-em-up:

There is a used assembly for a SILVERBALL MANIA on ebay right now. It looks to be the same as the AS-2694-3 assembly shown in the Bally 1980-1 parts catalog. Looks like it should work in a Flash Gordon.

Thanks guys!

Fortunately I was able to find mine yesterday after an extensive search. That's the problem when you start a project like this and don't finish it for a couple of years, the parts can go for a walk.

#736 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Thanks guys!
Fortunately I was able to find mine yesterday after an extensive search. That's the problem when you start a project like this and don't finish it for a couple of years, the parts can go for a walk.

I started restoring my STTNG and life got in the way. Eight years later, I was done. Found all the parts.

#737 5 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I started restoring my STTNG and life got in the way. Eight years later, I was done. Found all the parts.

...I stripped my IJ PF about 3.5 years ago to have it clear-coated and it's next on the list after FG.

#738 5 years ago

FG is coming along great. Seems to be playing well and since I found the coin chute touching the kickout switch, no issues with phantom scoring. I do have one insert bulb out. The Super Bonus 100000 ring of lights, the #7 bulb is not working. I have replaced with a new socket but it is still not working. I can jump it with a test lead from another bulb and it works fine. Nothing is screaming incorrect. The other issue is the coil on the coin door is very noisy and vibrates a fair amount. Almost like the bar that runs from it through the coin mechs needs some sort of cushion. Aside from those issues and needing to refinish the faded cabinet, it is pretty much "there".

#739 5 years ago

Finally finished the hardtop install, now just putting everything back together after 2 years of being torn apart. The clear inserts look awesome with the hardtop

7FEF5ECC-D972-404D-8596-0F816F4E382E (resized).jpeg7FEF5ECC-D972-404D-8596-0F816F4E382E (resized).jpeg
#740 5 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

Finally finished the hardtop install, now just putting everything back together after 2 years of being torn apart. The clear inserts look awesome with the hardtop
[quoted image]

I'm still trying to hold out for a CPR re-release, but that does look good. The problem for me is that, it would be playing on a plastic surface instead of a cleared wood surface, as I don't particularly care for playing on playfield protectors.

#741 5 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

[quoted image]

Thanks for posting this pic, it looks fantastic! Love the clear inserts and may head that way as well!! Would you mind sharing your shopping list of inserts and who you got them from?

#742 5 years ago

Anyone out there have a CPR Flash Gordon mirrored backglass? The one currently in my game looks okay but then you get close and realize Sam Jones has leprosy or something as it is delaminated in the back in a really weird way.

Anyway since we are doing the hardtop and restoring the cabinet I figured it may be nice to make the glass look great again as well.

#743 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

Thanks for posting this pic, it looks fantastic! Love the clear inserts and may head that way as well!! Would you mind sharing your shopping list of inserts and who you got them from?

I got the rollover housings and insert buttons from Marco specialties #03-7538-13, 03-7537-05. All other inserts were from pinballlife: I couldn’t find the correct size arrows in clear so I reused the all the origional arrow inserts from the game. I don’t remember the exact quantity’s I used. I know I ordered extras on most of those inserts so I can’t recall what the game actually takes of each
F9466355-7B3B-4B77-979C-749D40604870 (resized).jpegF9466355-7B3B-4B77-979C-749D40604870 (resized).jpeg

#744 5 years ago
Quoted from AUKraut:

This should help. Looks like 33 of the 3/4”, 14 of the 1” and 7 of the star rollovers and inserts, according to my Instagram pic from when I did it.
CCB87DED-05E3-451C-A90A-70195F694ECB (resized).jpegCCB87DED-05E3-451C-A90A-70195F694ECB (resized).jpeg

#745 5 years ago
Quoted from Andyzola87:

I got the rollover housings and insert buttons from Marco specialties #03-7538-13, 03-7537-05. All other inserts were from pinballlife: I couldn’t find the correct size arrows in clear so I reused the all the origional arrow inserts from the game. I don’t remember the exact quantity’s I used. I know I ordered extras on most of those inserts so I can’t recall what the game actually takes of each
[quoted image]

Quoted from Andyzola87:

This should help. Looks like 33 of the 3/4”, 14 of the 1” and 7 of the star rollovers and inserts, according to my Instagram pic from when I did it.
[quoted image]

Awesome!!!! Thanks for the info!!!

#746 5 years ago

I bought a hardtop the day after I got my FG. My playfield is really not that bad except for some planking but I figured the hardtop would be a good option for the future. In the meantime I'm just enjoying playing the game.

I looks to me that "hogging out" the holes for the rollovers could be kind of tedious. I decided to get a little practice with some Lexan I bought on Amazon. I bored some 1.25" holes in the plywood and some .75" holes in the Lexan then glued the Lexan over the plywood. After a couple tries I think I got the hang of it.

Here's a couple pictures:

IMG_0749 (resized).jpgIMG_0749 (resized).jpgIMG_0752 (resized).jpgIMG_0752 (resized).jpg
#747 5 years ago
Quoted from rack-em-up:

I bought a hardtop the day after I got my FG. My playfield is really not that bad except for some planking but I figured the hardtop would be a good option for the future. In the meantime I'm just enjoying playing the game.
I looks to me that "hogging out" the holes for the rollovers could be kind of tedious. I decided to get a little practice with some Lexan I bought on Amazon. I bored some 1.25" holes in the plywood and some .75" holes in the Lexan then glued the Lexan over the plywood. After a couple tries I think I got the hang of it.
Here's a couple pictures:
[quoted image][quoted image]

It's really very easy. I used my Dremel tool and a sandpaper drum like yours and it took no time at all and I had no issues. Just take your time and don't rush.

#748 5 years ago

My FG is getting closer to being playable! After doing some board work and bench testing on the MPU and Driver boards, I turned on the machine for the first time in over 10 years and surprisingly almost everything is working. I have 2 flippers out, I had one locked coil on the upper pop and a few switches that need adjusting. Hopefully will have it fully playable by the weekend!

3BE2F9C2-AAC7-4FD0-A524-535D2177508B (resized).jpeg3BE2F9C2-AAC7-4FD0-A524-535D2177508B (resized).jpeg
#749 5 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

It's really very easy. I used my Dremel tool and a sandpaper drum like yours and it took no time at all and I had no issues. Just take your time and don't rush.

I'm in the process of hardtopping my Flash Gordon and I'd been trying to figure out how I was going to address this issue. Did you have any issues with the edges being rough, or did the Dremel/sandpaper drum method smooth it out pretty well?

#750 5 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

I'm in the process of hardtopping my Flash Gordon and I'd been trying to figure out how I was going to address this issue. Did you have any issues with the edges being rough, or did the Dremel/sandpaper drum method smooth it out pretty well?

No issues. They came out nice and smooth. Just a note about install. Once you epoxy in place, tilt the playfield on its side so the inserts dont settle below the hardtop surface as the epoxy dries. I did have a couple of mine sink below the surface a tad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,995 (OBO)
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,811 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 57.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/15?hl=rack-em-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.