Topic Stats

• 1,024 posts
  • 172 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by solderboy
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 522 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

27FC434B-314C-4AED-A946-044A95680183 (resized).jpeg
9D1F1876-3746-414C-A47C-3E467111164C (resized).jpeg
3FA04289-0E17-423C-A3ED-40F8F0A4F070 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0312 (resized).jpg
IMG_6532 (resized).JPG
IMG_1038_LI (resized).jpg
IMG_1035 (resized).JPG
IMG_1034 (resized).JPG
IMG_1026 (resized).JPG
IMG_1031 (resized).JPG
IMG_1025 (resized).JPG
IMG_1024 (resized).JPG
DSCN5535 (resized).JPG
FlashGordonStrobeTransformer_plug2a.jpg
FlashGordonStrobeTransformer_plug1a.jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 1024 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 21.
#501 2 years ago

Ok thank you EEE for answering my display question.

Now I have another one, can someone take a picture of the sound board (connected) - or maybe just tell me, the bottom connector on the right, does this just have a 2-wire connector plugged in there and if so which pins?

2 weeks later
1 week later
#503 2 years ago

I have a problem with the kickout. When it kicks out the ball, it goes too fast, so I hits the first switch. Has anybody else had this
problem? Or a solution on how to fix it?

2 months later
#504 2 years ago

Just picked up a Flash Gordon that was sitting unplayed at a local Tattoo Shop. My first dip into "older games" and I'm liking it!

IMG_3194 (resized).JPG

IMG_3195 (resized).JPG

IMG_3197 (resized).JPG

IMG_3198 (resized).JPG

IMG_3199 (resized).JPG

IMG_3196 (resized).JPG

#505 2 years ago

Damn great condition! Gonna play a lot better when you get white rubbers on there!

Welcome to the club

#506 2 years ago

That playfield is in sensational shape for an FG!

#507 2 years ago

Does anyone have a spare manual? I had our FG at a show this past weekend and realized that I could have really benefited from a hard copy.

1 month later
#508 2 years ago

Does anyone have any cool instruction cards, or could point me in a direction of where to obtain some?

#509 2 years ago
Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

As anyone who's played a game with inline drops knows, these are the crack cocaine of pinball.

One of my all-time favorite things I've read on Pinside! Can't wait to read the rest of the thread, although I doubt this line can be topped.

#510 2 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Does anyone have any cool instruction cards, or could point me in a direction of where to obtain some?

Right in this thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-saviors-of-the-universe-club/page/9#post-3005321

#511 2 years ago

I have a Flash Gordon I am very slowly restoring. My lift bar on the back glass is really rusty and awful looking. Any good idea on how to safely remove it, the rest of the backglass looks very nice.

#512 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Any good idea on how to safely remove it

I wouldn't say there is a "safe" way to remove. I've had rusty ones before.
Place a towel down on a table. Put the glass, art side down on the towel. put a piece of 2x4 wood on the lift channel and hit with a dead blow hammer. Move the wood around so the lift channel gets even force applied.

Good luck.

#513 2 years ago

I have heard of that method, how hard are these things stuck on, am I expecting to tap hammer, or use some solid force?

#514 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have heard of that method, how hard are these things stuck on, am I expecting to tap hammer, or use some solid force?

Ok, so medium soft taps are best, but you may have to use force if you get no budging. Also, if there is a lot of rust, I have had great luck spraying a SMALL amount of WD-40 on the front of the glass so it dribbles into the front of the channel. Let it soak a bit and then try your tapping again. By all means be careful, you do not want WD-40 on the artwork, but it really does help dissolve the rust which reduces the pressure on the channel. Wipe it off after you get the channel off.

Originally the channels are just pressed on and there is a bit of friction tape or two sided tape holding it on. It's the rust and years of crud that make it really tight usually.

BTW: I haven't broken a backglass yet doing this and I've removed like 20 some channels and put new ones on over the years. I actually lay my hammer down on the front of the backglass (on a washcloth) and just slide it into the channel/wood block. I don't lift and 'hammer' on the glass. If it's a really nice glass then I'll put some blue painter tape on the front, but I use a smallish ballpeen hammer so it's got a round head anyway.

#515 2 years ago

ok, good, the slide method is what I was planning to do. I like the WD-40 idea but only in the front. Thanks.

#516 2 years ago

I think Vid says hang the glass upside down (small hole on one side of channel) Place just off the ground directly over towels or padding so glass safely falls into padded material. It might take up to two days in some cases.

#517 2 years ago

I personally didn't take his advice <rare exception> and took a chance carefully apply downward pressure to one side, once it started to loosen I was able to work it off.

IMG_3901 (resized).JPG

3 weeks later
#518 2 years ago

I don't break 2 million very often on FG. My poor father in law had a below average game on it while I blew it up
IMG_1867 (resized).JPG

#519 2 years ago

I don't know if other people do this or not but I like to establish a mental value for whether I am playing below my normal skill level or not. I find on my Classic Bally's (machines I play a lot, not a new to me game) that I like to pick a number as the threshold between a decent game and a crap game. I usually use 50% of the first replay value that I think is the factory default. I have an Eight Ball so 50% is 135,000, a game below that value means I should be playing better. On Black Jack it is 170,000, Xenon it is 250,000, Embryon it is 200,000.

So on Flash Gordon it is 300,000 but it is so different from other machines. There is a random component to every pinball machine but on FG it is a much bigger factor. On Eight Ball my high score is 914,000, never quite rolled it, but in 20 games I can always get within 25% of that score. On FG, my high score is ~2,590,000 but I rarely get over 1,000,000. I might play 20 games under 750,000.

All this makes me realize that my high scores on most machines reflect some of my skill, on FG it is much more luck. Is it this way for everyone?

#520 2 years ago

Our Flash Gordon high score is over 5 million...

The thing is, it's on 5 balls per game and I'm not sure if it was me or Captive Ball Jim that put the 5 Mil there!

I've had some epic games on FG, but I have also had some epic fail games as well. LOL!

It's still my favorite Classic Bally!

Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

IMG_3967.jpg

#521 2 years ago

FG are vastly diff'rent machine to machine. If you score a million on mine that's a really good damn game. Another place I play the high like like 4-5 million or something and it's much easier to keep the ball on the upper playfield and make points that way....oh and that one has a center post so go figure.

#522 2 years ago

The huge factor to a great FG score is not only 3 vs 5 ball, but if you set the switches to the highest difficulty. I would think 5 balls & easy settings should get you to 1M+ scores more often. But FG is all about taking a beating & proving your worth, so I'm not a fan of making it any easier.

Mine is set for 3 Ball. I have all the switches set to the most conservative difficult settings, no circle insert carryovers from ball to ball. No rewards for reaching default replay scores at 600K & 1.1M. And only one Extra Ball may be earned per game.

I was able to get just over 2.5M with those difficult settings about 2 years ago, and let me tell you, it was the most intense stressful game I've ever played. Getting 5x lit, ripping both lit spinners for huge points (with 15sec bonus running) & getting the ball back under control. Rinse, repeat. Crazy shit. I haven't even sniffed 1M in the last year.

I would argue that FG has absolutely nothing to do with luck. It requires the most skill of any game to reach high scores, especially when there are no carryovers from ball to ball. You have to nudge. You have to make your shots, then get the ball back under control for the next shot. Draining is starting from scratch & tearing your hair out. If you're just slapping away, the center pops & slings are going to end your ball in less than 20 seconds.

Non-pinheads come over & won't even touch it, they say it's just too hard. That's fine with me. I think it's the best pin ever made & it's never leaving my collection.

#523 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBellMan:

Our Flash Gordon high score is over 5 million...
The thing is, it's on 5 balls per game and I'm not sure if it was me or Captive Ball Jim that put the 5 Mil there!
I've had some epic games on FG, but I have also had some epic fail games as well. LOL!
It's still my favorite Classic Bally!
Rob Bell
Robsgameroom.com

Would be great if that were true...I put up a GC on your Centaur a while back and threatened your Fathom, but was never close to reaching 5 MM on FG....I believe we played 6-7 two player games for one of us to crack 1 MM if I remember correctly. But it sure is sweet when you actually are able to do it.

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I would argue that FG has absolutely nothing to do with luck. It requires the most skill of any game to reach high scores, especially when there are no carryovers from ball to ball. You have to nudge. You have to make your shots, then get the ball back under control for the next shot. Draining is starting from scratch & tearing your hair out. If you're just slapping away, the center pops & slings are going to end your ball in less than 20 seconds.

I agree that you must hit your shots consistently to put up a great score, but luck will always be a little part of it. Whether its getting a lucky inlane or being able to get a flipper on a return front hitting an inline drop target. So many times I make a good shot to the in-line drop targets to be rewarding with screaming ball headed to the middle. You definitely can't luck your way into million point games, there's just not enough margin of error in FG.

I still keep hitting the start button over and over.

2 weeks later
#524 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I don't know if other people do this or not but I like to establish a mental value for whether I am playing below my normal skill level or not.

I think 2.2 mill is my high score currently. Average, decent game is about 300,000. A ball time longer than 1 minute is good play IMO.

Can't wait to get FG back in the lineup. It's been away for the last month undergoing a CPR PF swap.

3 weeks later
#525 1 year ago

My FG is waiting for a proper restoration but in the meantime I am making the many typical repairs. I solved a strange issue and maybe this story will help someone else.

A couple of weeks ago I thought the leds behind the Flash Gordon name at the top of the backglass were not as bright as they had been. Strange for leds. Over the ~ 2 weeks I realized the Game Over, and Tilt etc were all getting dim too. I was thinking it was the Aux lamp board but I realized that board controls many play field lights too which were working fine. Then I realized that the lamp boards only ground the lamps, they don't provide them power. So the PF lights had their own power feed and the Aux board was grounding them and everything worked.

It took me a lot of sleuthing but in the end there is a pin (dark blue wire) on the rectifier board in the cabinet that is dedicated to providing the controlled lighting power feed on the back of the score insert. It travels through a couple of connectors, crosses the head to the hinge side, snakes across the insert down the middle and attaches to the bare power wire on lower corner near the player 4 score. This wire failed right at the crimp on the pin in the connector down in the cabinet, it failed almost fully open. Even after pulling it all apart it and examining it looked absolutely fine. I cut off a few inches of wire, spliced in some new wire, and used a new pin, and it all worked.

The reason it took me so long to figure out what was happening was really a weird thing. My main lighting board is an Altek board. Since I was using leds I had connected up the line they give you to prevent ghosting. They tell you to connect it to, you guessed it, the power feed for the controlled lighting on the insert! The result was that when the pin failed in the cabinet, the Altek board started to backfeed power from it to the insert and was feebly able to power the leds on the insert. This is why everything was dim and not just off. I hope I did not stress the Altek board but everything is fine now.

2 months later
#526 1 year ago

Need a new playfield? Not sure repros will happen again but there's an effort to get a hardtop for FG made.

Go here and vote and help keep the dream alive!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hardtop-playfield-new-product-announcement-poll-included/page/14#post-4178874

#527 1 year ago

I joined the FG club on New Years Eve While everyone was getting ready to party I snagged a nice one...had to drive to Squamish BC and then got stuck in snow... wasn't sure if I was even going to get out with a game, but made it in the end!

The S&T board doesn't boot fully (gets 3 flashes so I have ordered some U12 AY-3-8912 replacements). The board is also missing U10 AD558 DAC. I was reading another post about the S&T board and I don't think it was ever determined whether U10 was necessary for Flash Gordon to function correctly. Can anyone confirm whether U10 is required (I don't want to order one unnecessarily).

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/squawk-talk-occasional-garbled-voice-problem-a-solution#post-2569279

Thanks!

#528 1 year ago

U10 is not used on S&T set up for Flash Gordon

#529 1 year ago
Quoted from jj44114:

U10 is not used on S&T set up for Flash Gordon

jj44114 Thanks for confirming, that's saved me a few $$$

1 month later
#530 1 year ago

In the club now! Got a nearly ready to play project! Look at the drop targets: Two Dolly Partons, a Paragon, and a...well then two Paragons.

As much as I want to play it, I have about five projects ahead of it. Willing to bring to TPF: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-texas-pinball-festival-maybe-for-sale-thread/page/7#post-4276994

20180312_104744_resized (resized).jpg

#531 1 year ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

In the club now! Got a nearly ready to play project! Look at the drop targets: Two Dolly Partons, a Paragon, and a...well then two Paragons.
As much as I want to play it, I have about five projects ahead of it. Willing to bring to TPF: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2018-texas-pinball-festival-maybe-for-sale-thread/page/7#post-4276994

Now I'm nearly in the club now! I'm buying this machine Hopefully it's not much worse than it looks

#532 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Now I'm nearly in the club now! I'm buying this machine Hopefully it's not much worse than it looks

"Emperor Ming Awaits"
flash-gordon-1980 (resized).jpg

#533 1 year ago

It'll be a fun journey I hope. I have found that I really enjoy rehabbing these machines, as I've only started collecting over the last year, and this is probably the worst machine that I'll be acquiring. Still debating on doing full cab paint, since it looks easy enough...but what I think might be easy, and reality are two totally different things! First things first, get the game home and playing 100%!

#534 1 year ago

I really have to get my FG up and running correctly. I restored the cabinet and had someone do a playfield swap for me (after looking for a CPR replacement for what seemed like an eternity) My problem was when I was finishing the cabinet up I accidentally plugged the strobe transformer into the backbox receptacle and vice versa. Weird these are next to each other and keyed the same . The game plays almost 100%, but I have no backbox lights and that means no sound either. I love Flash Gordon, but the sound is a must IMO.

When I did my oops moment and powered the game on I saw a small poof of smoke from the #1 display area. I had new displays ready to replace anyway and they currently work, but it didn't fix my no backbox lights issue. MY strobe board is new and worked, but it doesn't seem to do anything either. F2 blows on start up. I have looked for obvious signs of failure but don't see anything out of the ordinary. Anyway, its tough to look at this beauty and not play it. The CPR PF is awesome by the way, the neon colors really react to the blacklight in my arcade too.

IMG_4391 (resized).JPGIMG_4392 (resized).JPGIMG_4405 (resized).JPG

#535 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

I really have to get my FG up and running correctly. I restored the cabinet and had someone do a playfield swap for me (after looking for a CPR replacement for what seemed like an eternity) My problem was when I was finishing the cabinet up I accidentally plugged the strobe transformer into the backbox receptacle and vice versa. Weird these are next to each other and keyed the same . The game plays almost 100%, but I have no backbox lights and that means no sound either. I love Flash Gordon, but the sound is a must IMO.
When I did my oops moment and powered the game on I saw a small poof of smoke from the #1 display area. I had new displays ready to replace anyway and they currently work, but it didn't fix my no backbox lights issue. MY strobe board is new and worked, but it doesn't seem to do anything either. F2 blows on start up. I have looked for obvious signs of failure but don't see anything out of the ordinary. Anyway, its tough to look at this beauty and not play it. The CPR PF is awesome by the way, the neon colors really react to the blacklight in my arcade too.

That's purty...I wish I could help

#536 1 year ago

Cliffy now has a protector available for the 2 way saucer hole on Flash Gordon.
I worked with him to get this made to help keep the ball from falling out before registering most of the time.
He is selling them for $14.

B90F1AA4-F765-48AF-B9BA-534E0EE9EAB1 (resized).jpeg
1B7CCE3F-1F7E-4767-B328-FDEFB8D8B0D9 (resized).jpeg

#537 1 year ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

You know the strobe transformer puts out 115v AC on two pins. What did those two pins ultimately connect to? on the plugs how many pins were on each one? the same? I think maybe your GI gothit with 115v AC. Probably shorted wires in the backbox. The sound may not be working because the S&T board requires voltage from the GI to work. No GI = no sound.

#538 1 year ago

Took possession of my machine yesterday! It needs a good bit of TLC; no key for the back box so I'm going to drill it out today. The head was detached, so I haven't had a chance to power it up yet. It's got years and years of dirt and grime all over it and the upper playfield has quite a bit of wear. The lower playfield looks good from what I can see. Needs new drop targets, as there's an amalgamation of other bally drops. Will get the full treatment!

#539 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Took possession of my machine yesterday! It needs a good bit of TLC; no key for the back box so I'm going to drill it out today. The head was detached, so I haven't had a chance to power it up yet. It's got years and years of dirt and grime all over it and the upper playfield has quite a bit of wear. The lower playfield looks good from what I can see. Needs new drop targets, as there's an amalgamation of other bally drops. Will get the full treatment!

Pictures or it didn't happen

#540 1 year ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

Pictures or it didn't happen

Well, my friend. You're in for a treat!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-a-shop-out-log

1 week later
#541 1 year ago

Finally got done with 99% of the shop out and got a few games in. I can see why this game is so highly regarded! It's awesome! Can't wait to sort out the last few things and get it in with the rest of the lineup!

#542 1 year ago

Question on flipper alignment. Do you guys have the flippers in line with the ball guide or do you have it centered on the hole? Mine are centered on the hole right now, but it feels a little too low. I did order new cliffy ball guides so that may have an impact on it. It might be a while until they arrive.

#543 1 year ago

I align them so I have a nice roll down inlane to flipper... Little hop as possible

#544 1 year ago

I've got quite a bit of hop on mine, but it's obvious the guides are very worn down. I'm thinking Titan thin flipper rubbers will help too. I'll try to keep the flippers in-line with the ball guides. It feels too low as it is right now.

#545 1 year ago

Yeah Bally's will naturally be a little lower than newer games because the flipper is fatter.
You can try to unscrew them a bit, hold them in place, and then tighten them up to help a bit with the hop but you're getting new ones anyway.

Hmm...shit I think I was supossed to order some new ones for another game myself. Thanks for the reminder

#546 1 year ago

Cliff is a couple months behind so if you want them, you better put the order in soon!

I was asking about the flipper alignment because my Paragon flippers are aligned with the hole and they feel a lot better than Flash Gordon does so I was a little confused.

#547 1 year ago

Just installed Convolux plastic protectors.

IMG_20180402_204221 (resized).jpg

#548 1 year ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Question on flipper alignment. Do you guys have the flippers in line with the ball guide or do you have it centered on the hole? Mine are centered on the hole right now, but it feels a little too low. I did order new cliffy ball guides so that may have an impact on it. It might be a while until they arrive.

I installed the modified Cliffy guides and used the thinner flipper rubbers a while back in my FG. It did help with the flipper hop, but It didn't eliminate it.

#549 1 year ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I installed the modified Cliffy guides and used the thinner flipper rubbers a while back in my FG. It did help with the flipper hop, but It didn't eliminate it.

I've seen HEP use a dowel wrapped with sandpaper to make the hole where the flipper bushing comes through the playfield just a tad bigger to help with ball hop. Might something to think about. Playing with ball hop is the worst! I can be an on-the-fly player sometimes, so that smooth transition is a must for me.

#550 1 year ago

I'll have to take a look at that...thanks for the info. Do you happen to have a link to that post or tell me which thread to look for it?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
There are 1024 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 21.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside