New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 273084)

Flash Gordon saucer launching

By Grangeomatic

4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by jj44114
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 months ago

Just put a hardtop on this Flash Gordon. All is going well, but the saucer kicks out really strong now. When it goes down, it gets airborne and hits off the pop bumper cap, then sometimes bounces right back into the saucer. I can see the pop cap breaking over time. When it goes up it slaps the glass, hits off the top by the rollovers and usually bounces back into the saucer again.
    Pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work.

Any suggestions on how to reduce the power of that kickout?

Thanks,
    Jeff

#2 4 months ago

Check that the correct coils are installed. I just did a FG hardtop too. The seller of the original game replaced the up coil I think, with a kicker coil. Wayyy too hard, hit the glass every time. He assured me the coil would “break in” over time....mmmk. Anyhow, confirm the coils are correct first I’d say. Then look at the coil stops, armatures and resting tabs. Post a pic of the mech.

#3 4 months ago
    Quoted from Grangeomatic:

Just put a hardtop on this Flash Gordon. All is going well, but the saucer kicks out really strong now. When it goes down, it gets airborne and hits off the pop bumper cap, then sometimes bounces right back into the saucer. I can see the pop cap breaking over time. When it goes up it slaps the glass, hits off the top by the rollovers and usually bounces back into the saucer again.
    Pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to work.
    Any suggestions on how to reduce the power of that kickout?
    Thanks,
    Jeff

Sounds like you have it 180 degrees out of phase, i.e. you got the orientation for it shooting into the upper playfield shooting to the lower playfield (and vice versa). Turn the whole assembly by 180 degrees.

#4 4 months ago
    Quoted from AUKraut:

Sounds like you have it 180 degrees out of phase, i.e. you got the orientation for it shooting into the upper playfield shooting to the lower playfield (and vice versa). Turn the whole assembly by 180 degrees.

I think we have a winner! There's 2 different coils installed on that mech, one is considerably stronger than the other--the stronger coil is to send the ball to the upper pf, and the other one is weaker since it's sending the ball down the pf (which requires a lot less oomph)

#5 4 months ago

I just looked at my tear down pics again, and that is correct, 2 different coils. I didn’t realize that. I’ll be checking my orientation tomorrow!
    I’ll report back either way.

#6 4 months ago

I checked out the machine this morning and found that it's still mounted the way it was originally. I never unsoldered this mech, and up is still up, down is still down, if you get my meaning.
    Also, the up coil is a 27-1300 coil, while the down coil is a 29-2100 coil, so it seems it's still "strong up, weak down".

I'll check the manual and see if those coils are correct.

#7 4 months ago

Did you have it long before you put on the hardtop? If not don't assume that a previous owner didn't spin it around either or mix up the coils...

#8 4 months ago

Mine was doing the same thing even with the coils in the right position. Fixed it by bending the metal tabs in the saucer inward so the ball sits a bit higher. Gotta play with tabs to get it just right.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Other
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 52.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 799.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 269.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 99.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 69.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 214.99
    $ 18.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 40.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 29.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bent Mods
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 137.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 49.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.00
    Electronics
    APB Enterprises
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside