image.jpg
image.jpg
image-791.jpg
image-986.jpg
image.jpg
image-549.jpg
image-351.jpg
image-642.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So I've always wanted a flash Gordon. One finally popped up someone local for very cheap price. It was described as a project. It is a very rough project. I may have finally gotten in over my head. I am going to have to draw on the wealth of knowledge here on pinside if I ever want to get this game back to its former glory.
I was able to source a CPR playfield, plastics, drop targets and spinner decals. I also purchased Alteck MPU solenoid driver board, light driver board and auxiliary light boards. As it sits now all I have is G.I. lights. The MPU gives one hard flash and then three short flashes. I'm afraid to put the new boards and and blow something. This project is going to go slow until I complete my restoration of my twilight zone. The game is filthy and has either been in a barn someone or or been sitting for a long time unplayed. Here it is as she sits now. I'll suggestions tips and pointers are greatly appreciated. I've never messed around with early solid-state games so I'm definitely swimming in the deep end of the pool. God help me.
image-448.jpgimage-448.jpgimage-190.jpgimage-190.jpgimage-939.jpgimage-939.jpgimage-205.jpgimage-205.jpgimage-560.jpgimage-560.jpgimage-450.jpgimage-450.jpgimage-1241.jpgimage-1241.jpgimage-260.jpgimage-260.jpgimage-404.jpgimage-404.jpgimage-740.jpgimage-740.jpgimage-740.jpgimage-740.jpgimage-43.jpgimage-43.jpgimage-75.jpgimage-75.jpgimage-360.jpgimage-360.jpgimage-31.jpgimage-31.jpgimage-886.jpgimage-886.jpgimage-665.jpgimage-665.jpgimage-747.jpgimage-747.jpgimage-182.jpgimage-182.jpgimage-769.jpgimage-769.jpg

And a few of the new playfield. The registration isn't the best and the clear is thin in spots showing the wood texture. It's so so in my book but better than what's in the game.

image-888.jpgimage-888.jpgimage-425.jpgimage-425.jpgimage-915.jpgimage-915.jpg

#4 9 years ago

I want to just plug the new boards in but I don't want to cook new boards. I'm a dmm dumby. Thanks for the words of encouragement.

#7 9 years ago

It's a brand new CPR playfield. Never been out of the box. Please tell me I didn't get a defective playfield.

Just putzing around in the garage while smoking a cigar, I disconnected everything from the mpu other than j4. Led still flickers, then only flashes 3 times. I'm going to buy a new alteck rectifier board btw.

#8 9 years ago

I checked the playfield in the game and the sling switches share the same hole as the light sockets the same as the CPR one

#12 9 years ago

So all the test point values tested were withing 5% of the stated values for a rectifier board as stated on pinwiki except test point 2 was 162v when wiki states it should be 230v. So I guess that's my first clue.
On the solenoid driver board everything is in spec except tp2 at 116 and tp4 at 164.7. It appears the high voltage is the issue?

I want to test the mpu values but I can't find a ground (gnd) tab like the other boards. Is there one on the mpu?

I think I'm just going to get an alteck rectifier board, put that in line and see if it boots, the continue up the chain if not. Any thoughts?

Quoted from Spitfiren8:

The original PF actually looks pretty good for a FG, pretty minimal wear from the pics you posted. You should be able to get some decent scratch for it to offset the cost of the CPR.

It's mylared over the center area. Someone tried to stop the insert wear from getting worse. It's filthy but cleaned up I guess it's serviceable. The upper has the clear coat all craked and brittle.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those flashes are the board trying to tell you something.
It's telling you that U11 PIA chip (6821) is not functioning.
It could mean a bad 6821, or a bad socket, or corrosion of the MPU board (post some good pics, especially the bottom of the board around the battery).

Thanks vid. I posted some voltage readings on the driver and rectifier boards. Does that narrow anything down. I thought that getting 3 flashes was telling me it got past the chips and it was elsewhere?

Pics as requested. Can you tell me where grn is on the mpu? I don't see it. I also don't see the battery and there are jumpers in place so it has been worked on before.
image-168.jpgimage-168.jpgimage-813.jpgimage-813.jpgimage-710.jpgimage-710.jpgimage-161.jpgimage-161.jpgimage-172.jpgimage-172.jpgimage-147.jpgimage-147.jpgimage-8.jpgimage-8.jpgimage-592.jpgimage-592.jpg

#16 9 years ago

Great info vid. You're a life saver. Is it safe to drop the alteck mpu in to see if it will boot or do I run the risk of blowing the new mpu. I believe there was issues with the solenoids. The solenoid board doesn't have a fuse in it and the right sling and right flipper coils are removed. My guess is the game went down way back when, couldn't get it fixed and ended up a brick in someone's garage.

#17 9 years ago

Ok, I'm an idiot, wiki clearly states tp4 is ground. Thanks vid. The tp values are spot on except tp2 is .55v above tolerance.

#19 9 years ago

Thanks vid. I have rebuild flipper kits. I will get all the parts to get the sling back together but I was wrong the coil is still there and wired up. I have the coil for the flipper but my guess is the diodes are probably bad? I can solder but not on boards. I do have a new alteck solenoid drive board (also bought heat sink grease), light board and auxiliary board. The only new board I didn't get was the rectifier, go figure. LOL

I did check continuity on all the rectifier fuses out of the holder including the one in the black holder. I bought a fuse kit from marco but the fuse filaments don't look like the ones in the rectifier even though the values seem to match.

I will read up on the threads you linked.

#20 9 years ago

Pics of the sling/pop area. image-620.jpgimage-620.jpgimage-639.jpgimage-639.jpg

#21 9 years ago

Also worth noting, a few of the controlled lamps power on during boot but once it fails at three flashes, they go out. The GI stays lit as well as the inserts at the 1-10 circular inserts. I believe those are controlled lamps as well and not GI correct?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Disconnect all the connectors on your rectifier board except the 2 bottom transformer ones.
Check that your high voltage is correct.
Assuming it is, then you have enough boards to bring the game back to life.
Don't throw the old boards out, they have value to techs like me who can refurbish them.

With the setup suggested, tp2 now reads 192v. Still not 250v but an improvement from 160v

Quoted from vid1900:You can test them with your meter, or for .01 cents each, just replace them.
You can test the coil with your meter too, in Ohm mode.

No exploded diodes.

Quoted from 1967Firebird:

I just wanted to post vid1900 are such an asset to Pinside thank you I love reading you post and input.

Agreed!

#29 9 years ago

Ok I will put them in an let you know. I said it before, but thank you again.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from ronsplooter:

I put some video's on my Youtube channel from when I restored my FG that may be of use. This is the link to Part 1 (think there's 6 or 7):
» YouTube video

That's awesome I actually watched all of them last night. Where did you find the rubber nuts holding the plastics down?

Quoted from vid1900:

If you want to be cautious, connect just the Solenoid board check it's test points, then add the MPU and displays.

Will do. I actually got into a few more beers than I thought I was going to, so the big test will probably be delayed until tomorrow.

#33 9 years ago

Success!! The game boots. All the diagnostic LEDs on the new alteck boards are correct. Game isn't close to playable yet. When I start a game the drops (left bank and upper bank) keep chattering like the are resetting but they are already up and the game is scoring a ton of points by itself very past. I'm guessing a switch is stuck closed somewhere. All but one of the displays work but I think they are missing the first digit out of seven. I also don't have sound. At least it's booting!

Quoted from vid1900:

Don't throw the old boards out, they have value to techs like me who can refurbish them.

Make I can trade them for a refurbished squawk and talk board and or repair displays? I have no idea of the value against the cost of repairing the board and or displays. I fit by a cap kit for the squawk and talk board but I don't trust myself on board work.

image-792.jpgimage-792.jpgimage-4.jpgimage-4.jpgimage-826.jpgimage-826.jpg

#34 9 years ago

So I think I know why I don't have sound.

No connector plugged in. I don't know what I'm missing? I have all available plugs in their respective spots.

image-16.jpgimage-16.jpg

Also, the power connector doesn't mach up pin-wise

image-144.jpgimage-144.jpg

Lastly, since I'm not familiar with the game, should the lights flash in attract mode? Right now they are solid on. I tried putting them in flash with diagnostics but nothing.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Give the old boards to vid, it's the least you can do. He has saved you a world of stress and time.

I get it up and working and see I don't need them, I don't have a problem with that.

Still no sound, attract mode, controlled lights. **EDIT: I tested tp 1 and it is rock solid at 5v. Checked rectifier voltages and all my voltages are spot on including the previously low high voltages. Now tp1 was 0v and fuse F1was blown. I don't have the same goofy filament replacement fuses but I had a 1a slow blow 250v fuse that matches the specs. Controlled lamps came then off. Fuse filament looks good but no continuity at fuse F1 **

Now on to other issues. Bunch of flaky stuff firing coils when switches are activated. Solved the lower bank drops by gapping the leaf switches. Went around making sure switches were gapped. Still issues with switches firing random coils. Pop switches, sling switches, right/left outlane switches all dead. Diagnostics show stuck switch 33 right spinner. It's gapped and not stuck closed. So looking at the matrix all the problem switches are all on the same row or column. Visually I don't see any broken wires or blown diodes on the switch tabs. Any thoughts?

image-935.jpgimage-935.jpg

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

The text on that apron overlay does not look correct to me... Specifically the "I" in Pinball is touching the "P". I have a feeling I know where you got it.

Not sure what you are getting at? It came as a package deal with the playfield.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I am saying that if you look closely at the text on the apron decal it is not correct. It is fine if that doesn't bother you. I had bought a similar decal for my Paragon and had to throw it away as it had the same flaws. I missed the part where you got it in a package deal.

Oh, ok. Honestly I haven't even really looked at it close. I'm just trying to get her running now. Thanks.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Get your meter in DIODE mode and check each diode.
Look for solder splash from past repairs on the switches.
Most bad diodes are not blown wide open, so they need to be metered to know for sure.

Got it, so I went to switch 33's diode (man they are f'ing tiny) and I think I found the issue. The tab is broken off the switch stack. I'm assuming this is the cause of the switch showing in the diognostics as closed and causing the switches on the same string downstream to be dead as well?
image-217.jpgimage-217.jpgimage-264.jpgimage-264.jpg

Btw, wth are these red (caps) things on some switches. Never seen them on dmd games.
image-996.jpgimage-996.jpg

Any thoughts on the controlled lights?

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Those capacitors give more time for the MPU to sense that the switch has been triggered.
They can cause problems as they get old, by falsely triggering the switch.
If a switch is phantom firing, cut one leg of the capacitor off. If that fixes the problem, replace the Cap.
Don't just leave a bad Cap off, or a switch activation will sometimes be missed.

Funny you mentioned clipping a leg. The two on the pop switches were off and I assumed they were just broke off so I soldered them back on. LOL

So is the broken tab on the switch stack the cause of it showing closed and affecting the switches on the string to be dead too?

#49 9 years ago

Thanks for the explanation. I think I inderstand. I'm just trying to determine if the tab being broken off is the cause of it showing as an error in the diognostics and boogering the others on the string. I already tried to source the switch and of course marco is out of stock.

#53 9 years ago

I'm familiar with Steve young. I also know his displeasure of not having part numbers. As far as I can see in the manual, there isn't any part numbers associated with this switch or many other parts for that matter. I just did a Google image search and found one that looked like the on I want.

On a side note, I messed with the switch and it was in fact closed. That cleared the error. I diode tested with a dmm (not overly experienced) the non working switches. I couldn't seem to get consistent readings. Sometimes it would read ol, other times the values would jump all around from 114 to 500ish. I'm confused and frustrated so it's time to take a break.

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I have two of them that I am going through this process with. I am guessing that you bought the playfield parts from BallyPinBaltimore.

Yep, that's where I got them from.

#57 9 years ago

So I checked every switch I could find in diode mode on my dmm. Everyone read ol on the dmm display when red probe was on the banded side and 500ish when black/common probe was on the banded side. It doesn't seem like voltage is leaking backwards.

When I hit the saucer switch, the left bottom pop fires and the 4 bank target resets.

When I trigger the middle target in the 4 bank the inline bank resets, the left sling fires, the 3 bank resets and the bottom eject mech fires in the saucer.

When I hit the middle or last target in the 3 bank, it resets rapidly.

When I hit the single stand up stationary target on the upper playfield the left sling, saucer, inline and 3 bank fire.

When I hit the first stationary target on the bottom left the saucer, all of the drops reset 5 times in a cycle and it adds game credits.

When I hit the right outlane roll over the 4 bank and single bank fire.

When I hit any star rollover the 3 bank resets.

Switches not working are: all pops, both spinners, second stationary target on bottom right, left in/out lanes and right inlane.

Hopefully someone my see a common thread to these problems.

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

Pic 639 sling switch looks like the solder legs are touching each other?

Yes it was. I noticed it afterwards and has since been corrected.

Quoted from Lovef2k:

So game boots now? While game is running, ball in play, disconnect the 24 pin coin door socket, yeah I know it sounds weird, BUT, the coin doors is part of the switch matrix and most often hacked. I recently had a Meteor that was doing weird things like that and the issue was the coin door, changed the door and issues went away....

Yes it boots. All allteck boards are installed. There was a free play hack and in of the coin or slots. I have since removed that as well. I will try to point the coin door plug. There is also a few things on pinwiki they suggest to troubleshoot the switch matrix. I think I want to repent all the plugs to match up with the new boards but I don't see her lease I don't have enough experience to see in the manual the pinouts for each of the plugs. Also I really don't even know what kind of plugs those are on the board. I've never really had a reason to rebuild connectors before. I'm wondering if the plug is bad or if it got pinned correctly during a repair.

#62 9 years ago
Quoted from mg81:

I guess I should chime in on this thread since I was the seller.
First off congratulations on getting this pin so far along in such a short period of time. I am glad it found a good home.
I know I sent the pin to you with the plugs unlabeled, I hope that is not what is causing you the trouble. When I got the pin it was in pieces and I never attempted to get it running so I did not want to label anything if I was not 100% sure it was correct.
If you are getting so many weird switch issue I would make very sure you have the plugs into the right spots. It seems like you either have them mixed up or perhaps one is inserted one pin off, i.e. the plug is shifted with one pin outside of the connector.
I would look at the wiring diagram and just trace out one wire fully from a switch to the plug to verify that you have the right plug in the right spot.
Sound issue:
I don't see the two wire connector that runs to the speaker plugged into the sound board. Take a look for that two pin plug and get it plugged into the sound board. I think the two wire plug that goes to the speaker goes onto the #1 & 2 pin of the J2 connector on the sound board. Two plugs go onto the J2 connector on the sound board the two wire and I think a four wire connector. Sometimes there in one big plug, sometimes there are two, like with your pin. At least that is my memory with most of the squawk and talk boards. I am hoping someone can chime in with what goes where on them. Overall the sounds boards have never given me any trouble over the years, so I don't have a real clear memory of what goes where on them.
That bent up mess of pins in the double row on the sound board is not used, don't worry about it. I would just make sure none of the pins are bent so much that they are touching each other.
Overall, I would just say check and make sure all of the plugs are where they are supposed to be. You only need to verify one wire per plug(I work on the assumption that the wires were not all mixed up on the plug(s)). Look at the wiring diagram and find the easiest thing to get access to that goes to that plug and use your ohm meter to verify that it is that wire. You can also look at the wire color code also, but I have sometimes had weird issues with the color changing when it goes through various wire harness inline plugs. The ohm meter continuity test is the for sure way to know what is going where.

Please don't take my comments as complaining. Just documenting my restore process. I'm just trying to get it running so I can restore it.
The sound board is hooked up as described. It appears the chips are missing.

I'm the worst at diagnosing electrical issues. Very frustrating.

So per clays guide, I checked every switch to make sure it closed properly and reported the correct number in diagnostics. All reported correctly. In game still causing phantom coil firing. I also disconnected the coin door. No difference.

No clue where to head from here.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

What coils exactly?

When I hit the saucer switch, the left bottom pop fires and the 4 bank target resets.

When I trigger the middle target in the 4 bank the inline bank resets, the left sling fires, the 3 bank resets and the bottom eject mech fires in the saucer.

When I hit the middle or last target in the 3 bank, it resets rapidly.

When I hit the single stand up stationary target on the upper playfield the left sling, saucer, inline and 3 bank fire.

When I hit the first stationary target on the bottom left the saucer, all of the drops reset 5 times in a cycle and it adds game credits.

When I hit the right outlane roll over the 4 bank and single bank fire.

When I hit any star rollover the 3 bank resets.

#66 9 years ago
Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Really sounds like the switch connector is upside down, off by one, swapped with another switch connector. Maybe the key pins were removed and they are just swapped or upside down?
Dan

I appreciate the help. The backbox connectors look factory. I reseated everything to verify pin alignment based on the pin out key on the board. the plug key matches the pinout. which J connector specifically is assigned to the switch bundle? Keep in mind, the switches reported closed and with the right switch number per the manual when I manually actuated each switch individually.

#68 9 years ago

Everything pin out matches the board. The ultimate driver board has diagnostic LEDs labeled Q1-Q19

I can see what Q numbers (solenoid a firing) are being activated when a switch activates more than one coil if that helps in diagnosing the problem.

Also, based on the ultimate driver board I can visually see that no coils are shorted on. Per the manual, q19 is supposed to be continuous on (coin door coil).

image-998.jpgimage-998.jpgimage-717.jpgimage-717.jpg

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Give us a picture of J5 on the Solenoid Driver Board.
Make sure it is clean enough to see the wire colors.

I believe this is J5. The ultimate board doesn't have the j's silkscreened on them.

image-130.jpgimage-130.jpgimage-488.jpgimage-488.jpg

#73 9 years ago

The allteck ultimate board doesn't have a pin bank at the bottom. I got the old board, found J5 and the matching connector pin out. The pic I attached is that connector and the corresponding ultimate plug that has the matching pinout.

#75 9 years ago

oops. Sorry. Here it is. Excuse the dirty fingernails, this game is filthy. lol

image-760.jpgimage-760.jpgimage-558.jpgimage-558.jpg

#78 9 years ago
Quoted from pintoys:

I had a similar problem regarding wrong coils firing with a bally game while using the alltec MPU. I accidentally had the wrong code number and although the game booted up, the coil firing was off. Just to be sure,check if your code is correct for Flash Gordon. Worth a look...

Holy shit. I never even considered that. Great tip.

Quoted from vid1900:That looks OK.
J3 & J4 next.

I will post pics if the code doesn't work out.

#79 9 years ago
Quoted from pintoys:

I had a similar problem regarding wrong coils firing with a bally game while using the alltec MPU. I accidentally had the wrong code number and although the game booted up, the coil firing was off. Just to be sure,check if your code is correct for Flash Gordon. Worth a look...

Woohoo! This was spot on. I totally forgot to set the game dip switches. It was all zeros. I set the feature dip settings and blanked on the game dip settings. The game plays (albeit very roughly), scores, resets and serves the ball to the shooter lane perfectly. Man, something so simple. I feel like a moron. Thank you pintoys, thank you vid and everyone else that threw out a suggestion.

Now I need to figure out why I'm blowing a fuse on the rectifier and I don't have controlled lamps. Oh, that and getting my sound working. The restoration train can keep on moving now.

Man I'm so happy it's up and functionally running.

#81 9 years ago

I ordered a new rectifier so working on the short/controlled lights issue is on hold until I get the parts.

In the mean time my attention has shifted to the sound.
Are these the missing chips I need?
ebay.com link: Bally Flash Gordon pinball sound chip set

Also, I see on pinwiki the jumper settings but its not overly clear to me where these jumper settings are going on the board. Are they physically wire jumpers I need to make and solder on the board? If so, what gague of wire, locations? Can someone post a picture of their working FG squawk & talk board so I have some kind of reference point? Thanks.

#83 9 years ago

Thanks vid. I actually already read that. Great info on the how & why it works.

Hopefully someone can confirm the sound chips and jumpers so I can get that stuff ordered too.

#85 9 years ago

Ok. I will test and report on flashes and test voltages in a few hours. I'm flying blind on this part. I have no idea what it's supposed to look like. I have had several people tell me I'm missing the chips.

#86 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't mess with the jumpers unless you are changing to a different processor chip or ROMs.
Like everything else in pinball, first see if you have the correct voltage on the test points.
Then, how many flashes do you have from the sound LED?

On boot, S&T led goes green solid instantly, no flicker or flash.

Chips missing at: U2,3,4,5,6 & 9

Test point readings
TP2: 4.87v
TP3: 15.6v but it was jumping wildly. Didn't seem stable
TP4: 4.6v

#87 9 years ago

Any input is greatly appreciated.

#89 9 years ago

I was guessing I needed chips, that's why I posted the sockets missing them. I'm trying to figure out what chips I need (I linked a par from ebay). Thanks again for your continued help

#91 9 years ago

So I got my new rectifier board but it didn't come with any instructions or where which wire gets soldered where from the transformer. From what I'm reading online, there should be "e" numbers silkscreened on the new board that correspond with the old board. Wth am I missing here?image-832.jpgimage-832.jpgimage-70.jpgimage-70.jpg

#94 9 years ago

Thanks. That's what overthinking gets me. Plug and play. That I can handle. Sooo. It's in an I have all controlled lamps and the strobe flashes in boot. It seems like attack bulbs flash really fast. I let it run a few minutes in attract and fuse F1 didn't blow like it did before. Before the new board it would blow in 5-10 seconds. I guess that solves my controlled lamp issues?

One last piece, the damn sound!

Thanks guys!

image-634.jpgimage-634.jpg

#96 9 years ago

Yeah, I can feel it being the issue. I have been scouring the net. Hopefully it pops up.

I rewired the right flipper that was missing a coil when I got it and I think I have it wired correctly. The LED on the board flashes momentarily when activated so I assume I have it wired correctly. It flips and the upper flips to though it machine guns at times. Question though. When I accuate the flippers there is a blue spark between the contacts on the eos switches on both the left and right switches. I have never seen that on DMD games. Is this normal for this generation of games?

#98 9 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

The caps should be easy to deal with.
http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/repairkits/bally_kits.htm#b-snt1
The chips may be a little more difficult.

Thanks. I'm going to try and buy a refurbished one if I can, then resort to trying to fix it myself if not.

Any thought on the blue spark I see between the eos on the flippers. Is that normal on this generation?

#100 9 years ago

Thanks. Since I have never owned a game in this generation I have no frame of reference. The only thing I can judge it against is DMD games which that is not normal for.

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Yes, the spark is normal.

Thanks for the confirmation. That was a little startling seeing that the first time. I was like, uh-oh.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Here is a picture of my working populated FG S&T board.

image.jpg 499 KB

Quoted from WonkoTSane:

That looks very different from mine. Mine has all of the sockets except for U9 populated.

20141105_210958.jpg 363 KB

Thanks guys. I think I'm sending this bad boy out to someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

#107 9 years ago

The first one is a 61a (mine as well) that was in FG. I can't see the second ones silkscreen.

#113 9 years ago

Thanks. I haven't forgotten about it. I just wanted to get it running. I need to finish my TZ restore then I'm back to restoring FG. I have most everything to shine her up. New back glass comes Monday. New score displays and misc odd and ends later next week. The sound board is out being repaired as well. It's a super cool game with a sweet theme and art package. I have been playing it even though it's all busted up right now. Can't wait to get her looking purty again.

#114 9 years ago

So I was wrong, I haven't bought the score displays. Is the consensus that xpin are the best replacements? Any one go with red on Flash Gordon? I think red would look cool.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I had one that was bad. I just rebuilt it. They are not difficult to repair.

I have segments that while not out are going dim at the ends. Everything else is/will be new, why not the score displays too.

1 week later
#118 9 years ago

I have sound! Pinsider barakandi set me up with a refurb board and sound rom's. great guy who does great work. So the game is 100% functional now. The plan is to finish up my TZ restore this weekend and start the cab work on flash over the long holiday break next week.

1 week later
#119 9 years ago

So my TZ restore is on hold while I wait for my boards to get back from the tech so my attention switched back to my FG restore. Cabinet stripped down. It's filthy and you can see the damage to the blocking. Long road ahead.

image-690.jpgimage-690.jpgimage-30.jpgimage-30.jpgimage-716.jpgimage-716.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#121 9 years ago

Yeah, I clipped them to remove the speakers. There was one loose but not the ones in this picture. Can anyone point me to the correct modern replacement for said speakers.

One other question. Can I update the leg brackets to the new style? I believe so. Also, are those nails (two of them in the center) holding the brackets in place?

I lied, one other question. Is there an easy way to get the side rail nails out? Is that all that's holding them in place? I plan on buying new rails for what it's worth.

#124 9 years ago

Got the playfield into my backup rotisserie. FILTHY PIG!

image-639.jpgimage-639.jpgimage-655.jpgimage-655.jpgimage-644.jpgimage-644.jpgimage-136.jpgimage-136.jpgimage-125.jpgimage-125.jpg

So I think I have a pinball addiction, err, problem. . One 3/4's done, one just starting and two more in the que out in the garage.

image-110.jpgimage-110.jpgimage-931.jpgimage-931.jpgimage-163.jpgimage-163.jpg

#126 9 years ago

Great work toro. I'm getting worried about my stencils ever showing up from twisted pins.

On to sanding. I ran out of sand paper so it's on hold until tomorrow. I have a ton of work glueing the bottom panel back in place, cutting and glueing new blocks as well as rebuilding the cash box wood frame. Bought a table saw. Now I need some 3/4" plywood and some 1x's to rip new blocks.

image-123.jpgimage-123.jpgimage-101.jpgimage-101.jpgimage-1114.jpgimage-1114.jpg

#128 9 years ago

Ripping 1x's lengthwise at a 45 degree angle on a table saw.

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

AFAIK - they were going on hiatus to deal with some personal medical issues

Thanks for the info. If that's the case they need to reflect that on their web page and or not accept orders. I'm going to email them later this afternoon.

#133 9 years ago

Well I will end up filing a claim with PayPal.

#134 9 years ago

So the bottom of the cab had severe damage. The is a channel the MDF bottom panel rests in. It appears the bottom left corner was pushed up and the bottom trim holding the bottom panel was busted out 3/4"s of the way down on the left side, all of the front and a small portion on the right. The fix was drywall screws. The worst part was the glued it back as well and didn't do it flush so the bottom trim isn't going to be flush. I tried breaking it free but the pressed board MDF just disintegrated so I with have to live with the slight imperfection. I plan on sanding and filling it to minimize the appearance and paint all the way around the lip up to the bottom panel. That should hide most of the surface irregularities.

Before:

image-572.jpgimage-572.jpgimage-343.jpgimage-343.jpgimage-961.jpgimage-961.jpgimage-575.jpgimage-575.jpg

After, with brads holding it in place.
image-753.jpgimage-753.jpg

And final with wood glue and clamps:
image-165.jpgimage-165.jpg

In this picture you can also see my test sanding area at the bottom by the speaker cut outs. I originally wanted to replace the bottom but it just wasn't feasible. In the end, sanding worked great at getting 30+ years of grime out. I lose the pebble texture but visually, a clean bottom is better to me than staying true to the original.
image-364.jpgimage-364.jpg

No I wait for the glue to dry so I can replace the interior blocks that are damaged.

#135 9 years ago

So here is the edge with the glue dried. As you can see because whomever "repaired" the bottom set it too low which caused my repaired strips to be raised over the existing edge. The existing strip I was able to save was also raised because of of the bottom being set too low.

image-244.jpgimage-244.jpgimage-825.jpgimage-825.jpgimage-830.jpgimage-830.jpg

Out comes the belt sander to bring the edge down. Worked perfect and looks factory. The chiped area was where the new and old tie in. This will be filled.

image-789.jpgimage-789.jpgimage-873.jpgimage-873.jpgimage-63.jpgimage-63.jpgimage-167.jpgimage-167.jpg

#137 9 years ago

Thank you for saying so.

Holy clamps batman!

image-637.jpgimage-637.jpgimage-505.jpgimage-505.jpg

#140 9 years ago

Ha! Believe it or not but there are 14 clamps in use in the second picture. I was actually 2 short for what I needed but I have 4 being used on my backup rotisserie.

#141 9 years ago

Glue dry, bottom sanded.

After:

image-695.jpgimage-695.jpg

Before:

image-524.jpgimage-524.jpgimage-213.jpgimage-213.jpg

Now on to replacing/gluing the blocking back into the inside of the cabinet.

#144 9 years ago

Wow, productive long weekend. It's taking a long time to make a silk purse out of this sows ear. All the blocking repaired, cash box bracing repaired. Rear head mounting area reattached, glued and clamped. Sides sanded as far as it can go. Still have to remove one stubborn nut on the upper coin door trim. Coming along. Hopefully painting the body coat next weekend.

image-404.jpgimage-404.jpgimage-137.jpgimage-137.jpgimage-808.jpgimage-808.jpgimage-36.jpgimage-36.jpgimage-24.jpgimage-24.jpg

#145 9 years ago

Small update. Lots of bondo and filling. It's still setting up. Sanding tomorrow. Trying to correct years of neglect is a lot of work and a can of bondo. LOL

image-958.jpgimage-958.jpgimage-586.jpgimage-586.jpgimage-834.jpgimage-834.jpgimage-428.jpgimage-428.jpg

#147 9 years ago

Thanks. Your progress is great.

Update time.

High build primer on and drying. Thankfully since I did so much prep work, the primer only showed a few flaws I missed. Corners look great and are true 90 degrees again. Once the high build primer dries, I will fill any remaining defects, sand, prime and sand again with 220 for my base to receive my finish. I'm going to top coat with an acrylic aliphatic urethane gloss. Nice and shiny, durable and uv resistant so I won't have to screw with a clear top coat. That will be next weekend.

image-485.jpgimage-485.jpgimage-46.jpgimage-46.jpgimage-765.jpgimage-765.jpg

Rebuilding corners/edges and filling holes on the head. Hopefully ready for primer tomorrow.

image-376.jpgimage-376.jpgimage-7.jpgimage-7.jpgimage-157.jpgimage-157.jpg

And my body work area (aka the garage) because it's to damn cold in my outbuilding.

image-934.jpgimage-934.jpg

3 weeks later
#151 9 years ago

Been awhile since I updated any progress. Cabinet stencils suck. Word to the wise; the ones twisted pins is selling are amateurish at best. Very f'ing disappointed. Probably going to have to start over once I source a better way to stencil it.

I switched gears and got the wire harness stripped. On to ultrasonic cleaning.

image-753.jpgimage-753.jpg
#152 9 years ago

Quick question. Maybe I'm missing it but I don't see part numbers for switches and bottom side components in the manual. Am I overlooking it? I want to buy all new leaf switches but short of eyeballing them online I don't have part numbers to go from. Any help there? Possibly a parts list?

#155 9 years ago

Perfect. Thanks vid.

Quoted from toro1966:

Yes - and Classic Arcades on eBay was MUCH worse. The cab we did ended up coming out very nicely -but only because we ad-libbed a LOT! Meaning we used bright lights to see outlines, exacto knives, masking tape - etc. VERY BIG PITA!
Looking forward to getting some of Pimp's stencils and trying them out.

Yeah I know they're bad too. I did all that and it is still garbage. Some of the stencil cut out edges look hand done. They should be ashamed of themselves. To think these have pps' stamp of approval.

#157 9 years ago

I'm not even really upset about the cost of the stencil. It's all the F'n time I have in painting the cabinet and time between colors waiting to cure. At least 50hrs shot because someone is peddling shitty stencils and someon else is rubber stamping the PPS approval. The cherry on the top is there isn't any other alternatives out there.

#159 9 years ago

Yeah I asked pinball pimp. It's planned but not in the immediate future. I need to tear down my spray booth I have setup in my garage. I will try flipper rescue. Thanks!

#160 9 years ago

Can you spot the new Playfield from the old one...

image-659.jpgimage-659.jpg

#162 9 years ago

So I have never done a swap on early solid state games and I'm installing lamp sockets and common braid. I haven't got very far but I want to be sure in doing it correct. I got out my dmm and set to continuity and it buzzes out from the beginning to the end on the braid and it also buzzes out if I go from end off braid to the last socket at the opposite end on the string's positive tab. I believe that means I have good continuity, yes? To check, I pulled a bulb out of a socket mid-sting and continuity is broken there at the missing bulb. I think that means I have everything lined up right. I was sure to orientate the staple down socket lugs the same way.

Quoted from Doughboy809:

I have a FG down in NC @HighEndPins, when I sent it to Chris I had two sets of stencils with it I think? I'll ask him if he still has a set and if he does after I pick it up in a few months I'll sell you them cheap.

Thanks. I may have it straightened out. If not, where did the set come from?

#164 9 years ago

Thanks man. I ended up muddling through it. Can't have my garage pulled apart any longer.

Without further ado...

image-222.jpgimage-222.jpgimage-426.jpgimage-426.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Please excuse my messy work area.

Three boxes of parts we shipped to mike chestnut this week to be show chromed so that's up next.

#170 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Cabinet looks great. How did you match the colors/what colors and type of paint did you use?

Thank you. I got an unfaded sample of the color inside the cab under the lockdown bar for the red matched. Black is just straight black and a rattle can gold. I used a fancy high end metallic gold but it wouldn't bite to the red/black so I had to go the rattle can route. the red and black is a acrylic aliphatic urethane finish.

#172 9 years ago

Thank you!

Moving along. Braid laid down. I took the easy way out and laid it under the screws instead of soldering them down. The main reason is the socket didn't have a tab sticking out far enough like the originals in order to solder them.

image-834.jpgimage-834.jpg

#175 9 years ago

Transformer plate cleaned up and installed. Ground braid installed.

image-527.jpgimage-527.jpgimage-365.jpgimage-365.jpgimage-565.jpgimage-565.jpgimage-710.jpgimage-710.jpg

#178 9 years ago

The transformer plate was cleaned then I painted it with a metallic scuffmaster paint. No clear on the cab. The coating is that deep in tone/color. Stuff is like porcelain when cured.

#180 9 years ago

Pray that pinballpimp makes a set. Everything commercially available is rubbish. Or, source an original cab and make your own.

I got the spinner as a package deal with the playfield/plastics/drop targets and apron decal.

Speaking of aprons, mine is off to the powdercoater then off to be silkscreened.

As a parting update, I decided to match the tilt board to the transformer plate instead of leaving it that boring MDF wood finish. I think it looks cool. I'm working on the harness/cabinet while I wait for some playfield parts to come in. I finally can see the summit on the one.

image-326.jpgimage-326.jpg

#182 9 years ago

Small update. Have all the posts in place. Disregard the nasty nylon and rubber nuts. I have new ones coming. It appears that I transfered all the holes/dimples over to the new upper playfield correctly. Mine was missing 80-90% of the dimples and through holes. Almost done on the topside until I get everything back from mike chestnut. I went with black pop skirts and black flipper bats with red superbands. Looks very nice.
image-974.jpgimage-974.jpgimage-707.jpgimage-707.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Quoted from toro1966:

Looking good! Still got a long way to go on my Mata Hari. Unfortunately I don't have a shop or garage ot do the painting so that might have to wait until spring. I did receive my Caswell Nickel plating kit an can't wait to try that this weekend!

Thank you. Let me know how the kit works out. I have thought about buying one before.

#185 9 years ago

Got my apron and shooter gauge back from the powder coater. Now off to be silk screened. There is a slight dent in it but it was the best out of the three I bought.

image-914.jpgimage-914.jpg

All the coils have new sleaves and custom made wrappers. Next is soldering in the harness and then wait for my chrome parts.

#186 9 years ago

Chugging along. All the soldering done on the main playfield. I only have the upper playfield left. A few switches need replaced and the bottom side will be done. Man that's a lot of soldering.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#188 9 years ago

Thank you. That thought crossed my mind after seeing pinballmikeD do it on his fathom. In the end the brackets/mechs were in pretty good shape. That and I don't want to own a $8,000 Flash Gordon. LOL.

#190 9 years ago

Holy shit. Are you dipping it in gold? Obviously I'm not keeping track of my sweat equity but I haven't scrimped and I'm nowhere near $8k.

#193 9 years ago

Any input on this?
image-332.jpgimage-332.jpg

No sure how I ran the wire wrong. It's spot on everywhere else. If I mount the pop switch over it will it cause a ground out? Should I snip it and solder in some extra wire to route around the switch?

#195 9 years ago

Huge milestone. First power up. Everything works and no coils locked on. I have a 2 bulbs wired wrong but it's 99.9% correct. Wow what a task.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage-948.jpgimage-948.jpg

I still have to do the backboard and I'm waiting on my chrome parts from mike chestnut but im almost there.

#198 9 years ago
Quoted from KevinCPR:

Just interjecting for sake of terminology. I see people calling this wire on the bottom of the playfield "the ground braid" in seemingly thousands of places. It's becoming common terminology, and it's scarier with all the newcomers to the hobby trying to learn the circuits...
The stapled bare wire going to all the bulbs on the bottom of the playfield IS NOT A GROUND BRAID.
It is the + (positive) voltage supply.
The bulb driver board is your ground. The transistors **pull the bulbs to ground** to light them.
Just saying, if this becomes commonspeak, it will be shocking the number of people who tie something, or connect something, to that line - a tester, a mod, a jumper wire, a bulletproofing wire, etc... thinking it is ground... at best you're going to pop a fuse. At worst, something is going to fry.
REMEMBER: The ground braid is in the *cabinet* (an actual braid - not a wire - that goes to metal things to keep them grounded - like the coin door, the cabinet rails, the plunger, etc).
Know the difference!

I'm aware it's not a ground. I understood what he meant. As it stands, I was able to get some slack and work around it.

Quoted from toro1966:

Way to go Skins! Very jealous. Mine is going much slower...Biggest issue for me is having a place to do the prep and paint work. Have all the tools - Just can't do it in my one car garage... And it's been too damned cold and nasty!

Thanks man. My cars are banished from the garage. That's what remote starters are for.

1 month later
#200 9 years ago

So it's been a long time since I have had anything to update. After 3 long months, some chrome parts have finally started trickling in...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
// Error: Image 379489 not found //image.jpgimage.jpg

#202 9 years ago

Never seen dob texture before? Not my choice, previous owner did it.

#204 9 years ago

No worries.

Edit the sound?

#206 9 years ago

Happy days. Finally all my chrome parts. They are beautiful!image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

image.jpgimage.jpg

image-510.jpgimage-510.jpg
#209 9 years ago

Thank you.

Quoted from boo32:

They look great. Did you have them done by Chestnut?

Thank you. Yes he did. Three month long wait but the price is fair and the results are great.

No I just need my apron that's being silkscreened back. Three months and counting on that too.

#211 9 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Is the apron silkscreener someone who offers this as a service or just a deal you set up? I had not heard of anyone doing that.
Chestnut does very nice work.

Pinsider toro gave me the lead from his mati hari thread. I'll PM you.

#214 9 years ago

Thank you

More chrome goodness. The prettiest lockdown receiver I have ever seen

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#215 9 years ago

Scratched the damn coin door skin. $&@!&? The coin bezel slipped out of my hands. Oh well. I know I need a 3rd matching pricing insert and it's all smudged up from getting into place but it's installed.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#216 9 years ago

Emperor Ming is watching the progress...

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

4 weeks later
#218 9 years ago

Just a small update but I was so excited I had to share. After 4 months, I finally got my apron back from. Stunning. Looks factory fresh.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-359.jpgimage-359.jpg
1 month later
#221 8 years ago

Well I finally have something worth updating. With spring here and summer around the corner, my resto stuff has taken a back seat. I have some switch adjusting and I lost my strobe when I reconnected everything that needs looked into but she's 90% complete and back together. Such a pretty game. Please excuse my messy work area.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

1 week later
#222 8 years ago

Quick game play. I know, I should have rotated the camera. Also, that's not me chimp flipping. Game is 99% done. Two back box bulbs not working and I need to adjust the coin door to close fully. Such a pretty game and the hardest of my previous 5 restores. I would take a wpc restore over a early ss restore any day. So glad it's complete but so rewarding.

#225 8 years ago

Thanks for the compliments Aurich and jawjaw. I appreciate it. Played about 30 games last night. What a blast!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

7,995 (OBO)
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 90.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-rebirth-what-was-i-thinking?tu=skins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.