image.jpg
image.jpg
image-791.jpg
image-986.jpg
image.jpg
image-549.jpg
image-351.jpg
image-642.jpg
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Thanks. I'm going to try and buy a refurbished one if I can, then resort to trying to fix it myself if not.
Any thought on the blue spark I see between the eos on the flippers. Is that normal on this generation?

Yes, the spark is normal.

#102 9 years ago

Here is a picture of my working populated FG S&T board.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#103 9 years ago

That looks very different from mine. Mine has all of the sockets except for U9 populated.

20141105_210958.jpg20141105_210958.jpg

#104 9 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Yes, the spark is normal.

Thanks for the confirmation. That was a little startling seeing that the first time. I was like, uh-oh.

#105 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Here is a picture of my working populated FG S&T board.

image.jpg 499 KB

Quoted from WonkoTSane:

That looks very different from mine. Mine has all of the sockets except for U9 populated.

20141105_210958.jpg 363 KB

Thanks guys. I think I'm sending this bad boy out to someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

#106 9 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

20141105_210958.jpg 363 KB

Comparing your board to mine they appear to be two different generations of the S&T board. Look at the upper right corner area of the two boards and they have different physical layouts of the devices. I wonder what significance that has.

Also, seeing yours, it makes me wonder if I am missing something for my board. Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in.

#107 9 years ago

The first one is a 61a (mine as well) that was in FG. I can't see the second ones silkscreen.

#108 9 years ago

Get a close up of the jumpers used on both boards.

Different processors and ROM sizes can mean different sockets and jumpers used.

#109 9 years ago

Here is a clearer picture.

20141106_204036.jpg20141106_204036.jpg

#110 9 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

Just wait until you find out that the upper flipper is an odd size. I still have not been able to locate a correct replacement.

these should work, from Marco's site, A-2747-1 shaft and shoe assy. and a 2 inch bat like these:03-7245-R. These use a 1.25 inch standard rubber ring.

#111 9 years ago
Quoted from Lovef2k:

these should work, from Marco's site, A-2747-1 shaft and shoe assy. and a 2 inch bat like these:03-7245-R. These use a 1.25 inch standard rubber ring.

That is what I ended up doing. The original is closer to 2 1/4 than 2 but I have never found one.

#112 9 years ago

Keep working on it. FG is one of my favorites and it'll be yours soon

#113 9 years ago

Thanks. I haven't forgotten about it. I just wanted to get it running. I need to finish my TZ restore then I'm back to restoring FG. I have most everything to shine her up. New back glass comes Monday. New score displays and misc odd and ends later next week. The sound board is out being repaired as well. It's a super cool game with a sweet theme and art package. I have been playing it even though it's all busted up right now. Can't wait to get her looking purty again.

#114 9 years ago

So I was wrong, I haven't bought the score displays. Is the consensus that xpin are the best replacements? Any one go with red on Flash Gordon? I think red would look cool.

#115 9 years ago

I had one that was bad. I just rebuilt it. They are not difficult to repair.

#116 9 years ago
Quoted from WonkoTSane:

I had one that was bad. I just rebuilt it. They are not difficult to repair.

I have segments that while not out are going dim at the ends. Everything else is/will be new, why not the score displays too.

#117 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I have segments that while not out are going dim at the ends. Everything else is/will be new, why not the score displays too.

If you have the $ to spend go for it. You can probably rehab the ones you have for $5 or less. I would also say move them around to make sure the problem follows the display. If it doesn't, new displays will not fix it.

1 week later
#118 9 years ago

I have sound! Pinsider barakandi set me up with a refurb board and sound rom's. great guy who does great work. So the game is 100% functional now. The plan is to finish up my TZ restore this weekend and start the cab work on flash over the long holiday break next week.

1 week later
#119 9 years ago

So my TZ restore is on hold while I wait for my boards to get back from the tech so my attention switched back to my FG restore. Cabinet stripped down. It's filthy and you can see the damage to the blocking. Long road ahead.

image-690.jpgimage-690.jpgimage-30.jpgimage-30.jpgimage-716.jpgimage-716.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

#120 9 years ago

Speaker wire cut!

#121 9 years ago

Yeah, I clipped them to remove the speakers. There was one loose but not the ones in this picture. Can anyone point me to the correct modern replacement for said speakers.

One other question. Can I update the leg brackets to the new style? I believe so. Also, are those nails (two of them in the center) holding the brackets in place?

I lied, one other question. Is there an easy way to get the side rail nails out? Is that all that's holding them in place? I plan on buying new rails for what it's worth.

#122 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I lied, one other question. Is there an easy way to get the side rail nails out? Is that all that's holding them in place? I plan on buying new rails for what it's worth.

#124 9 years ago

Got the playfield into my backup rotisserie. FILTHY PIG!

image-639.jpgimage-639.jpgimage-655.jpgimage-655.jpgimage-644.jpgimage-644.jpgimage-136.jpgimage-136.jpgimage-125.jpgimage-125.jpg

So I think I have a pinball addiction, err, problem. . One 3/4's done, one just starting and two more in the que out in the garage.

image-110.jpgimage-110.jpgimage-931.jpgimage-931.jpgimage-163.jpgimage-163.jpg

#125 9 years ago

Looking great skins. Keep with it. Here's a little motivation - this is the one I did this summer for a buddy.
IMG_4516.jpgIMG_4516.jpgIMG_4628.jpgIMG_4628.jpgIMG_4522.JPGIMG_4522.JPGIMG_4537.JPGIMG_4537.JPGIMG_4592.JPGIMG_4592.JPGIMG_4634.JPGIMG_4634.JPGIMG_4635.JPGIMG_4635.JPG

IMG_4616.JPGIMG_4616.JPG IMG_4624.JPGIMG_4624.JPG
#126 9 years ago

Great work toro. I'm getting worried about my stencils ever showing up from twisted pins.

On to sanding. I ran out of sand paper so it's on hold until tomorrow. I have a ton of work glueing the bottom panel back in place, cutting and glueing new blocks as well as rebuilding the cash box wood frame. Bought a table saw. Now I need some 3/4" plywood and some 1x's to rip new blocks.

image-123.jpgimage-123.jpgimage-101.jpgimage-101.jpgimage-1114.jpgimage-1114.jpg

#127 9 years ago

I know what you mean. I've been trying to get a hold of twisted pins for literally months with no success.

How are you cutting the triangular blocks? I have to make a bunch of them for my Space Invaders.

#128 9 years ago

Ripping 1x's lengthwise at a 45 degree angle on a table saw.

#129 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Ripping 1x's lengthwise at a 45 degree angle on a table saw.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

#130 9 years ago
Quoted from toro1966:

I know what you mean. I've been trying to get a hold of twisted pins for literally months with no success.

AFAIK - they were going on hiatus to deal with some personal medical issues

#131 9 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

AFAIK - they were going on hiatus to deal with some personal medical issues

Thanks for the info. If that's the case they need to reflect that on their web page and or not accept orders. I'm going to email them later this afternoon.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Thanks for the info. If that's the case they need to reflect that on their web page and or not accept orders. I'm going to email them later this afternoon.

Good luck skins. I actually am a huge fan of Travis and Twisted Pins and they generally have great customer service. But he literally hasn't answered about six emails sent to him over the last three months. I honestly do hope he and his family are doing well.

#133 9 years ago

Well I will end up filing a claim with PayPal.

#134 9 years ago

So the bottom of the cab had severe damage. The is a channel the MDF bottom panel rests in. It appears the bottom left corner was pushed up and the bottom trim holding the bottom panel was busted out 3/4"s of the way down on the left side, all of the front and a small portion on the right. The fix was drywall screws. The worst part was the glued it back as well and didn't do it flush so the bottom trim isn't going to be flush. I tried breaking it free but the pressed board MDF just disintegrated so I with have to live with the slight imperfection. I plan on sanding and filling it to minimize the appearance and paint all the way around the lip up to the bottom panel. That should hide most of the surface irregularities.

Before:

image-572.jpgimage-572.jpgimage-343.jpgimage-343.jpgimage-961.jpgimage-961.jpgimage-575.jpgimage-575.jpg

After, with brads holding it in place.
image-753.jpgimage-753.jpg

And final with wood glue and clamps:
image-165.jpgimage-165.jpg

In this picture you can also see my test sanding area at the bottom by the speaker cut outs. I originally wanted to replace the bottom but it just wasn't feasible. In the end, sanding worked great at getting 30+ years of grime out. I lose the pebble texture but visually, a clean bottom is better to me than staying true to the original.
image-364.jpgimage-364.jpg

No I wait for the glue to dry so I can replace the interior blocks that are damaged.

#135 9 years ago

So here is the edge with the glue dried. As you can see because whomever "repaired" the bottom set it too low which caused my repaired strips to be raised over the existing edge. The existing strip I was able to save was also raised because of of the bottom being set too low.

image-244.jpgimage-244.jpgimage-825.jpgimage-825.jpgimage-830.jpgimage-830.jpg

Out comes the belt sander to bring the edge down. Worked perfect and looks factory. The chiped area was where the new and old tie in. This will be filled.

image-789.jpgimage-789.jpgimage-873.jpgimage-873.jpgimage-63.jpgimage-63.jpgimage-167.jpgimage-167.jpg

#136 9 years ago

Looking great Skins!

#137 9 years ago

Thank you for saying so.

Holy clamps batman!

image-637.jpgimage-637.jpgimage-505.jpgimage-505.jpg

#138 9 years ago

See Honey? This is why I have all these clamps.

#139 9 years ago

Never can have too many!

#140 9 years ago

Ha! Believe it or not but there are 14 clamps in use in the second picture. I was actually 2 short for what I needed but I have 4 being used on my backup rotisserie.

#141 9 years ago

Glue dry, bottom sanded.

After:

image-695.jpgimage-695.jpg

Before:

image-524.jpgimage-524.jpgimage-213.jpgimage-213.jpg

Now on to replacing/gluing the blocking back into the inside of the cabinet.

#142 9 years ago

Nice! It's unreal how dirty the bottom of these games are.

#143 9 years ago

Looks like the game started it's location life in Western Massachusetts thanks to the Dugas Music Vending sticker.

#144 9 years ago

Wow, productive long weekend. It's taking a long time to make a silk purse out of this sows ear. All the blocking repaired, cash box bracing repaired. Rear head mounting area reattached, glued and clamped. Sides sanded as far as it can go. Still have to remove one stubborn nut on the upper coin door trim. Coming along. Hopefully painting the body coat next weekend.

image-404.jpgimage-404.jpgimage-137.jpgimage-137.jpgimage-808.jpgimage-808.jpgimage-36.jpgimage-36.jpgimage-24.jpgimage-24.jpg

#145 9 years ago

Small update. Lots of bondo and filling. It's still setting up. Sanding tomorrow. Trying to correct years of neglect is a lot of work and a can of bondo. LOL

image-958.jpgimage-958.jpgimage-586.jpgimage-586.jpgimage-834.jpgimage-834.jpgimage-428.jpgimage-428.jpg

#146 9 years ago

Coming along nicely skins! Got my rails painted for the Mata Hari PF today, but the color is off - back to the Auto Paint store I go to get it corrected....Gotta love re-work.

Nice progress on your FG though!

#147 9 years ago

Thanks. Your progress is great.

Update time.

High build primer on and drying. Thankfully since I did so much prep work, the primer only showed a few flaws I missed. Corners look great and are true 90 degrees again. Once the high build primer dries, I will fill any remaining defects, sand, prime and sand again with 220 for my base to receive my finish. I'm going to top coat with an acrylic aliphatic urethane gloss. Nice and shiny, durable and uv resistant so I won't have to screw with a clear top coat. That will be next weekend.

image-485.jpgimage-485.jpgimage-46.jpgimage-46.jpgimage-765.jpgimage-765.jpg

Rebuilding corners/edges and filling holes on the head. Hopefully ready for primer tomorrow.

image-376.jpgimage-376.jpgimage-7.jpgimage-7.jpgimage-157.jpgimage-157.jpg

And my body work area (aka the garage) because it's to damn cold in my outbuilding.

image-934.jpgimage-934.jpg

#148 9 years ago

Looking great Skins!

#149 9 years ago

I love that you have a Silverball Mania right next to it. I have a pair of each that I am working on.

#150 9 years ago

What kind of high build primer did you use? Spray can or hvlp?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

7,995 (OBO)
$ 99.00
$ 10.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 229 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-rebirth-what-was-i-thinking/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.