• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Patofnaud
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Hello Friends,

I have a Flash Gordon that I have slowly restored. I recently rebuilt all the drop target assemblies, flippers (3), replaced pop caps, lights, cleaned, waxed, took the whole thing apart, etc. It has a new Rottendog Power supply board, A new Strobe assembly board, and now new Alltek MPU and Soledoid boards. The only things that havent been replaced are the displays/board, and GI board.

I have points racking up slowly 1000 at a time when sitting idle once the game has started. It is annoying as hell after all the work I have done. It has do be a rollover or drop leaf since it happens when the playfield is sitting flat, but will sometimes stop when raised.

I have tried (several times now) to readjust every single leaf under the pf. Every rollover, every drop target, etc. I can get it to STOP by pushing down on certain rollovers, or holding a leaf (they work in a series, so it makes sense that making contact will stop it). I have even tried it while the machine is ON carefully, one at a time, just to look for the culprit.

Any ideas? This pin has been 18 months coming back to full playability, and I really want it ready for league play in a month.

Thanks for your help!

#2 8 years ago

Go into diagnostics and see which switch is showing closed. If there is more than one closed, as you clear one, the next will pop up. You should be able to clear it that way.

#3 8 years ago

If any of those switches have those little caps on them, make sure it isn't going bad.

#4 8 years ago

Every time mine did that it was the standup target behind the drop targets or the single stand up target at the top of the playfield.

#5 8 years ago

Hmm thanks. i went thru the tests today (and found out i had the sound effects on 0 and it hasa. lot more to it at 3!), and the stuck switch wqs showing 0. And then it stopped doing it haha. if it occurs again ill check behind the drop targets. thanks guys! Will post some pics soon of the project completed.

2 months later
#6 8 years ago

Still driving me nuts on this one The diagnostics tests show an occasional "01" flashing, which are the R/L outlane switches (top left and right rollver star loops). If I hold down any one of the leaf switches for these it stops the score from racking up and the noise, and then it continues later. It starts happening during play only.

I have tried first visually adjusting and inspecting each gap, wire, etc., and then basically bending every leaf switch away so there is no contact being made. I also read about the caps going bad (the resistor things that are there on these models to pick up light contact hits) and I tried cutting one and it made no difference.

It is the only thing keeping this game from being playable and I can't stand it. So much work and all brand new boards. Anyone have any suggestions on how I can diagnose or fix this further? It sat there mostly unplayed during the league night this month because the score just keeps beeeeeep beeeeep racking up 1000 at a time (faster now than before).

#7 8 years ago

To make sure it is the two switches you think it is,,, cut the wire. If it stops, reconnect and stick a paper between the contacts, if it still acts up then the cap (if it has one) is starting to short out so remove it and see if the problem stops.

#8 8 years ago

It seems like those switches are in a series (or two). I would have to take the series out, but at least that would narrow it does i suppose.

Just to make sure I am cutting the right thing, the large round red thing spanning the switches is the cap to cut correct?

Thanks Friend!

#9 8 years ago

That is correct. Looks like a flying saucer. It is there to absorb transient switch bounce. You can test without it, but I would put one in if the one in there is bad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 99.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-points-accumulate-slowly-by-themselves-leaf-somewhere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.