Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FG_Playfield4_small.jpg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg
#1 10 years ago

Does anyone know where I could buy an overlay for my Flash Gordon? My playfield is rough, I suck as an artist and it would be a mess for me to try a swap! At 43 I know my limits..ha!

#2 10 years ago

A swap isn't that hard. If interested I have a new playfield set left with some wood grain, a CPR second I had further clear coated. $500 US shipped.

#3 10 years ago

You would need to remove the playfield for an overlay anyway, unless you are talking about something small. Definitely swap that playfield while these are available if you want a nice looking FG. It's probably less work than an overlay and not that much more $ either.

Brian

#4 10 years ago

I agree with the rest, if you can get the pf, go for it. I did my first swap in my early 40's so you are never too old to learn. It just depends how much time and effort you put into it. If you're not mechanically inclined in the first place then you shouldn't even attempt an overlay. Most pin enthusiasts do not like overlays anyway.

I will say FG will be a more involved swap because of the 2 part pf. The hardest part for me with clearcoated pf's with star roll overs is getting the roll over insert cleaned out so that the star oves freely. Hopefully Greatwich prepared it for that.

BTW, John is one of the good guys...

Rich

#5 10 years ago

Thanks guys, sounds like good advise. I haven't heard anyone really 'standup' for an overlay yet. I guess a playfield swap is in my future. After I finally get the machine all back together I will see where I stand financially. I had Chris Hibler work on a couple of boards for me, great guy. I am also in the process of repainting my cabinet and I have several parts that I bought that need to be installed. So long story short, with my schedule, I have a while before I get finished.

I have dumped a ton of money into this baby already. I'm sure I could never resell for a profit. But it is worth for me. Big Flash Gordon fan and it holds a lot of nostalgia for me.

#6 10 years ago

Betelgeuse what did you use for an overlay on your Ghostbusters? Is it the same material that they make car wraps out of?

#7 10 years ago

The material for the GB overlay was actually provided by John Greatwich above. It's an Oracle laminate made up of two layers. Essentially the bottom layer is a clear film with the artwork printed on it. This is cold pressed to a clear mylar top layer for protection.

#8 10 years ago

Playfield set is sold to the last interested person who contacted me.

#9 10 years ago

John, is this similar to the film used for vehicle wraps? Just with a mylar layer on top?

#10 10 years ago

No it is a clear film printed on, & then cold laminated for protection. So film on film for protection. Very durable, but the technical stuff I don't know. The printer knows what is needed & produces it on demand only with art supplied. My printer doesn't do wraps for vehicles, others do.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

No it is a clear film printed on, & then cold laminated for protection. So film on film for protection. Very durable, but the technical stuff I don't know. The printer knows what is needed & produces it on demand only with art supplied. My printer doesn't do wraps for vehicles, others do.

John, Are you doing anything for Nineball playfields?. I have your glass and would like to do the pf someday,
Rich

#12 10 years ago

I'm hoping more art comes my way in the future for playfields.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from greatwichjohn:

I'm hoping more art comes my way in the future for playfields.

I sold Mike H my NOS seawitch pf which I regret big time, anything on that as far as a repro? Def. would love to see Nineball too.
Rich

#14 10 years ago

It's after I get Star Gazer cut.

1 year later
#15 8 years ago

I know this is an old thread and i have the same question , any one have a play field ? or an over lay I'm in need of one bad
-thanks pinsiders!-

#16 8 years ago

Just ordered an overlay for mine. If you are interested email Jeff at Classic Arcade. [email protected]
Good luck!

Quoted from Pinaddict85:I know this is an old thread and i have the same question , any one have a play field ? or an over lay I'm in need of one bad
-thanks pinsiders!-

3 weeks later
#17 8 years ago

Have you received it yet ? How would you rate the quality ? also i have herd that the overlays dim lights does this seem lake a big issue to you ?

#18 8 years ago

Is he doing a full playfield overlay? If so, how much is he charging for them?

#19 8 years ago

Photos of overlay. Quality appears to be good. Compared to what I have it's great. I haven't installed it yet so I can't comment on dimming. If that is an issue I will use brighter LED's.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image_1.jpegimage_1.jpeg

image_2.jpegimage_2.jpeg

3 weeks later
#20 8 years ago

I created a overlay art file for restoration of my battered FG. It's not a 1 to 1 copy. The colors are amped up a little and I have some distortion. It's being printed this week on car wrap material (3M Control Tac) which I used on one other machine 3 years ago and it still looks good. The material has been tested with poly urethane clear coat. Overlays are my 2nd choice. I've done two CPR playfield swaps in the past and the effort is worth it. But money, time, and short supply of the FG playfield brought me here. I tried my best to test alignment before sending it off. I hope it works!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 90.00
$ 99.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-overlay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.