Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Ronnie1114
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Just brought home a Flash Gordon, and I'm getting no sound. It worked at the seller's house just fine. I have checked the obvious things like connectors and the volume pots but, I'm still getting nothing. The LED is showing that the sound board is booting.

#2 4 years ago

I am also a recent Flash Gordon owner...great game!

I suspect that you mean sound and voices. I also suspect you know that there are two volume pots; one for sound and the other for speech.

It is possible that the batteries died during transport and the default I think is no sound. Go into the self test I think it is 18 and be sure it is set to 3.

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

I am also a recent Flash Gordon owner...great game!
I suspect that you mean sound and voices. I also suspect you know that there are two volume pots; one for sound and the other for speech.
It is possible that the batteries died during transport and the default I think is no sound. Go into the self test I think it is 18 and be sure it is set to 3.

Thanks! Yes, I do know about the 2 other pots. The MPU is an altek board so it has no batteries, so I don't think that is the problem. Thanks!

#4 4 years ago

check wires to the speaker

#5 4 years ago

the switch on the sound board should play test sounds independantly of the mpu setting but set mpu setting 18 to 3 for all the noises.

now if its dead ( as a result of moving it) ..*carefully* re-seat the tm5200 in U8 and the roms in U3,4,5. the soundboard will be needing new sockets probably

#6 4 years ago

Where's the second pot? I have one on the coin door, but I didn't notice another one.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Where's the second pot? I have one on the coin door, but I didn't notice another one.

They are on the sound board itself, kinda like the master volume for sounds and speech.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

the switch on the sound board should play test sounds independantly of the mpu setting but set mpu setting 18 to 3 for all the noises.
now if its dead ( as a result of moving it) ..*carefully* re-seat the tm5200 in U8 and the roms in U3,4,5. the soundboard will be needing new sockets probably

Will do!

#9 4 years ago

Ronnie,

Count the number of flashes that the LED on the sound board makes. Can you hear the speaker humming when you crank up the volume? Is the GI lamps turned on in the backbox(it uses GI to make a negative voltage)?

#10 4 years ago

Also check your F5 20A fuse on the rectifier board. My sound (and PF GI) went out when mine blew.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Ronnie,
Count the number of flashes that the LED on the sound board makes. Can you hear the speaker humming when you crank up the volume? Is the GI lamps turned on in the backbox(it uses GI to make a negative voltage)?

No hum regardless of where the volume pot is, amd backbox GI is on. Ill check flashes when I'm home.

#12 4 years ago

Speaker connector is for sure on correct pins on sound board?

#13 4 years ago

Dothedoo: What are the correct pins?

#14 4 years ago

Pins 1 & 2 on connector J2, as can be seen here

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=874&picno=64121&zoom=1

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

They are on the sound board itself, kinda like the master volume for sounds and speech.

That's why I missed them, wasn't looking on the board for the little tiny dials. Had a dirty sound pot, it's much happier after being dialed around a bit and put in a new position.

Not to rub it in, but it sounds great now, so thanks!

#16 4 years ago

Delay for right now, problem could be related to display harness, which is melted. Update once I find a new one. Thanks for your help guys!

#17 4 years ago

Actually, got the harness back installed and can now say that I get 7 flashes from the sound board LED.

#18 4 years ago

Update to this: Repinned the 2 pin connector and I am now getting sound but no speech.

#19 4 years ago

on the coin door settings button (little red guy by volume knob) - is adjustment 18 set to "03"?

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from noahpdavis:

on the coin door settings button (little red guy by volume knob) - is adjustment 18 set to "03"?

I cant tell, I dont have displays haha.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I cant tell, I dont have displays haha.

That is probably the issue.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

That is probably the issue.

I meant, that there arent any physical displays in the game.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

I meant, that there arent any physical displays in the game.

i meant the sound settings is probably the issue =P

hehe

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

i meant the sound settings is probably the issue =P
hehe

Ahhh, thanks. Ill check back in once the displays are in. Thanks for everyones help.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside