Topic Stats

• 2 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Stretch7
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 months ago

Picked up a Flash Gordon with a beat lower cabinet. The right side has the outer veneer lifting off over 1/3 of the bottom edge. It's so loose I can pull it 3/8" away. Glue isn't an option as pieces of the plywood veneer are falling out under it. Outer edge is like weak cardboard. Plus the lower cabinet bottom is weak from missing veneer holding it in on the other side and front. My options seem to be:

1) Cut all the weak outer face and lay it on it side, build a dam and lay fiberglass resin in to the damage. Then bondo to finish. Add strips to the bottom edges to shore up the rest. Re-stencil

2) Donor cabinet- Few and far between for 1981 fold down heads. Thinking a early chime game instead so I can cut the 2 speaker holes and then move the front lower cabinet brace rearward to match the OE so the transformer mount bracket lines up properly. Of course I'd have to make or transfer the folding head mounting supports.

3) Build new cabinet. Obviously best option but a huge job with getting the correct router bit for joining the edges, and the rest of the work involved. I have the equipment to do it, table saw, router etc and the woodworking experience, but damn. Lots of work. Read many of the threads here on it, but info is still is sketchy on a start to finish build.

Game is a keeper, planning on hardtop for PF, basically a full restore but not a bank breaking high end job.

Thoughts anyone?

#2 6 months ago

#1 will work

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
$ 259.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 149.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside