7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

left flipper (resized).jpg
FG left flip wire designations (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead_jack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Hello Pinside,

I picked up a project Flash Gordon recently and when I got it home I see that the left flipper was fried and all the wires had been de-soldered so they are hanging loose. I thought I know how they should be connected but the exploding 5 amp fuse says different.

Can someone post a pick of how their left flipper is wired? Trying to see how the three prongs of the coil connect to the EOS switch and the wire harness.

Thanks!!

#4 7 years ago

Thank you cody_chunn and pinballtoys, with the information you provided I was able to get my left flipper working.

It turned out to be more than just wires incorrectly connected. It seems that somewhere along the way a coil must have melted down as the flipper was covered in black gunk, more than just a little "coil dust" that should be there with normal wear. With the information provided I soldered the wires correctly (I had the outer two lugs backwards) but when I pressed the flipper button with a game going I heard a buzz, like something was trying to happen, but nothing actually moving and then the 5 amp fuse blew again.

Frustrated I was triple checking my wiring against the information here when I tried to move the left flipper by hand and could not do it. It turns out that their were two problems I was not accounting for: 1) there was so much dirt and gunk that the parts could barely move and 2) the two screws that hold the coil stop were not factory screws and the replacements didn't fit right and caused the coil stop and hence the coil to sit at an odd angle which further prevented the coil from being able to pull and release the rod.

So I took the flipper assemble apart and ran everything through my sonic cleaner, cleaned up the end of stroke switch and put everything back together with some better fitting replacement screws. BAM, now the left flipper is firing properly and I am one step closer to getting this game to 100% again.

Thanks for all the help!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 99.00
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 179.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinhead_jack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-left-flipper-picture?tu=pinhead_jack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.