(Topic ID: 172085)

Flash Gordon, is it me or is it too hard to play?

By BJM-Maxx

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2112 (resized).jpg
image-9.jpg
image-5.jpg
874f2.jpg
image-13.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BJM-Maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Just picked up a fairly beat up Flash Gordon, but it functions well and has new rubbers. The outlanes are brutal on this game. I can't believe how short some of my games can be. I don't mind a tough game but this thing is nuts. Are there any good playing tips I should try?

#6 7 years ago

I found that video, it was pretty informative. Learned a few things that I can use on any machine. One of the comments was by someone saying If you find FG bad, don't try Xenon. Funny thing is, i have a Xenon and yes I have to be super alert at the bottom end but I find FG more stressful. You get a multi-second break shooting to the top end in Xenon. FG can have the ball back to the flippers in no time no matter where you shoot. I rate it so high for rules and feature but man it's frustrating.

#15 7 years ago

I only got this game 2 weeks ago. My plans were to restore this machine and I need to get over the hump as to whether I want to invest the time. I only restore machines I plan to keep for a long while. Still on the fence with it. The playfield is pretty rough so I don't really know how it will play with a nice smooth playfield. The lower of the two lower pop bumpers is a bit dead in responding so I am probably not getting it firing into the drain as much as it might once its fixed. I also know the rapid fire back and forth in that area and near the saucer will change things once it speeds up (new coil sleeves and switch capacitor and new nearby rubbers).

One question, when my saucer kicks uphill, the ball usually taps the glass, not hard but a definite smack sound. When it kicks upward, the ball never makes it to the pop area. In the IPDB photo (mine has much more wear), it hits the glass where the yellow circles are, then loses a ton of energy and dribbles to the rubber. Second bounce to the left sometimes might hit a target. If it does the ball is dead and drains to the saucer again. If it missed the target and fell where I drew the arrow, I can sometimes bump the machine to get to the flipper (yellow arrow) but most of the time goes where the third white arrow shows, then falls into the right ramp and often threatens to drain. I was thinking or turning the saucer mechanism a little to aim more near the pop bumper, just a few degrees. The factory guys just slapped things in.

In the outlanes, for the first time on any machine, I moved the lower posts to the so-called "Liberal" position. It made a subtle difference. As an experiment I moved the post a little towards the center of the PF and that made a big difference, only balls lobbed directly into the opening went in. For the others I now had a chance to nudge and keep the ball. The amount I moved post inward is maybe 4 mm. The playfield has so many rebounds that head to the sides. The biggest reason it is an outlane monster is the wire divider for the in/out lane is 5/8" toward the bottom compared to the top post (see photo) in the slingshot rubber's post. This means anything heading to the side that clears the top of the slingshot post with any velocity will make it to the side wood rail and drain. I cannot find another machine like this. Here is an IPDB shot of Xenon. Exact same design in that area, but there is a post with a rubber on it bringing the divider even with the height of the slingshot rubber. Other machines without that post have the wire rail ending up higher. I included a photo of Eight Ball from a few years before, it has a longer metal divider. Black Jack is the same as Eight Ball. I half wonder if something got left out of Flash Gordon.

image-13.jpgimage-13.jpg

874f2.jpg874f2.jpg

image-5.jpgimage-5.jpg

image-9.jpgimage-9.jpg

#21 7 years ago

I don't do anything half way so I really want to make up my mind, although you guys are convincing me.

Quoted from bax:

I never shoot the wood beast drops w/ out throwing in a nudge.

Wood beast drops are which ones, the inlines on the right? At my keyboard I can't think what nudge you are doing or what ball movement you are trying to control.

#23 7 years ago

I forgot to add, my best score unaltered is 1.2Million. I got to 1.5Million with my post change.

#32 7 years ago

I will spend another session on the Bowen tutorial, I like seeing someone good struggle to control the ball.

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from bax:

The drops to the right are the wood beast drops. Often when you are shooting drops 2, 3 and the circle target the ball will hug the rail and drain down the right outlane. A little nudge gets the ball off the side and usually directly to the left flipper.
A hip to the front or a little slap to the side of the cab is usually more than enough.

I will have to watch for a right drain from the wood beast drops, have not had that happen yet.

Quoted from bax:

Play for a while and switch to a DMD game. You will see a dramatic improvement in your ball control and shot making!

I played my High Speed yesterday, it is not at my house so I don't always get to play it. Not a DMD game but I was nudging things in a way I have never done before and I have owned the game for 3 years. Flash Gordon emphasizes so many ways to lose the ball it makes you try many new strategies where other games have fewer ways to lose the ball so you don't get as creative. As a moderately skill player I still find lots of things I could improve on.

#44 7 years ago

I still want to own an EBD, I have the original Eight Ball already. I play EBD on my iPad and it has pretty short ball times. My impression is FG is still quite a bit harder. Is that accurate?

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

(Push start button on FG).....followed by a 34 second game....(cussing)....(hitting the start button again).
Wash a repeat until a random 5-7 minute game over a million points.
(pure bliss)

I played 3 games yesterday, hit 1.4Million on the third one, decided it was best to then turn it off and enjoy the high.

7 years later
#53 4 months ago

Coming full circle, after starting this thread I did fully restore my Flash Gordon. Looks awesome.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
7,995 (OBO)
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Boards
Troxel Repair

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 99.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BJM-Maxx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-is-it-me-or-is-it-too-hard-to-play?tu=BJM-Maxx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.