Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Flash Gordon right flippers work perfectly when they do work. They often do not work until I cycle the power off and on a few times. Usually when they work, they will continue to work over the course of games until I turn it off again.

I was having a random scoring issue and had a friend over who has much more technical knowledge than I do. He noticed that some of the capacitors had been cut from the switches. He advised that the rest should be cut and he cut them.

Could cutting the capacitors cause this flipper issue or does anyone have other ideas?

I had never had this problem prior to cutting the capacitors.

Thanks

Chris

#2 4 years ago

The flippers not working and cut .47uF switch mounted capacitors are different beasts.

For the flipper. FIrst off is the switches on the cabinet and flipper mech end of stroke. You need to check these for proper opening and closing. Sometimes the EOS contact gets so hammered it just falls off. Visual inspection goes a long way.

If the cabinet/PF switches are good. Check the solder joints on the left side of the driver board. Use the wiring diagram / driver board schematics to locate the suspect right flipper return pins. The solder joints will crack causing intermittent operation. Visually look at the solder side for bad solder joints on the male connector pin (super duper common).

I will drive this in. Only one flipper cutting out (not both). Is a mechanical / physical problem of an open circuit. It is not a logic board failure.

The .47 uF caps mounted across switch matrix switches are to help the CPU board realize a quick closure should score points. These caps will fail, then they get cut off. The switch will still work most of the time, but may miss quick hits. You see these caps on only certain switches. Namely pop bumpers and stand ups among others.

ANdrew

#3 4 years ago

The flipper mechs themselves are solid. I will follow the advice on checking the board for solder joints. The failure is both flippers always. Also, I checked the flipper button switch and found it did not have continuity when the flippers were not firing which makes me think it is a board/wiring issue.

Thank for the help.

#4 4 years ago

If the flipper switch itself doesn't have continuity, then you'll need to clean/replace the cabinet flipper switch.

#5 4 years ago

Turns out that the relay on the power driver board is flaky. The plastic case is cracked. As long as you tap it when the flippers aren't working, they will re-start. Thanks to those who responded.

#6 4 years ago

you probably still have a ground problem on the driver board with the joints for the flipper returns.

Could be the connectors or the headers themselves. I'm pretty sure the relay isn't part of the flipper returns... but don't have time to grab my schematics right now.

I had problems with all solenoids dying intermitantly like that.. and redid the connectors on J2 and J4 (actually ended up doing them all on the PDB) to resolve.

#7 4 years ago

We redid the connectors. The problem may not be in the relay itself but on the traces heading to it. They had gotten very hot at one time and left a black mark in the cabinet head. There were some very ugly hacks trying to get the traces right. We re-flowed the jumpers but the problem persisted. When the game starts, you can hear the relay click. If there are two clicks, both flippers work. If only one, the right flippers don't work and the relay needs a tap. I have a new board on the way as I don't think this one can be brought back to reliable use.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

We redid the connectors. The problem may not be in the relay itself but on the traces heading to it. They had gotten very hot at one time and left a black mark in the cabinet head. There were some very ugly hacks trying to get the traces right. We re-flowed the jumpers but the problem persisted. When the game starts, you can hear the relay click. If there are two clicks, both flippers work. If only one, the right flippers don't work and the relay needs a tap. I have a new board on the way as I don't think this one can be brought back to reliable use.

If the traces burned off the board, which tends to happen, just use some wire to patch over them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 279.95
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 21.00
$ 149.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 16.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside