Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by wdennie
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I am really itching to play my FG again. I have completed restenciling the cabinet and a PF swap. Having a few issues.

First I did the cabinet. I planned on restoring cabinet then turning game over for a PF swap.

Jump forward - I had just completed my cabinet restenciling and was waiting to get a PF swap. After putting the game back together I turned on the game. I saw a small poof of smoke at display #1. I immediately shut game down, surveyed the backbox for damage. But didn't see anything. Decided to leave well enough alone and hope the person doing My PF could handle it.

Turned my game over for PF swap. Person got very busy and PF swap took longer, they didnt have the time to trouble shoot some of the details, so I decided to take game back.

Current state. Beautiful, but no joy in playing with no sound. GI in cabinet works. Controlled lighting works. I have tried unsuccessfully to fix F2 blowing on start up. I had planned on replacing the displays with LED type (I had em and tried em) and to my surprise they work (obviously draw much less power). Anyway, that's great, but it seems like a horrible bandaid type work around. My backbox still has no GI and I have been unable to get my S&T board working, although it seems to boot correctly, it just makes static or hissing.

I have all Altek boards in the backbox and plan on repining a few connectors. My immediate concern is getting sound back. I hope it starts with finding the short or issue that is blowing F2. I know I saw smoke after the cabinet restencil at display #1. Is it possible I created an issue with grounding strap.

I have a multimeter, but am a complete novice. Any help would be appreciated.

I also have a diagnostic Altek board that can be used to isolate solenoids and lamps I believe. (If this can be of assistance)

#2 6 years ago

Little confused, did you run grounding straps to your display buckets?
And if the led displays work, get rid of the high voltage for the plasma displays.
I Love the Led displays, knowing that I won't get shocked and won't have to worry about
old 35 year displays gassing out.

#3 6 years ago

Also on your sound board it should have 2 small pots, try turning them up ad down
to clean there contacts, or get some TV tuner cleaner and spray in them, might be your
sound problem. Start simple

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 90.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
$ 99.00
$ 179.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
7,995 (OBO)
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-help-no-backbox-lights-blows-f2-on-start and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.