• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

12CA2E5A-EBC7-4C81-A068-D9B547F18B8A (resized).jpeg
95D6CC71-5AF4-4CFA-913F-3E1C2A41D756 (resized).jpeg
#1 6 years ago

So I’ve had my restored Flash Gordon for some time, but this is the first big issues I’ve had with it. I own a couple early solid state pins, but my knowledge of repairs on this system is almost non-existent. This FG is my baby

My FG has Alltec for the MPU, solenoid driver, and LEDLamp driver boards. It still has the original sound board. Has all LED lights installed.

Anyway it basically went dead on me when I turned the machine on. For anyone familiar with the startup process, this is what happened...

1) turned game on
2) heard the usual alternating startup beeps
3) heard the usual “whooooom” tone
4) drop targets popped up & reset as usual

Then nothing. Did not progress to the second “whooooom” tone. The playfield GI lights remain on. The backbox lights remain on. All score displays are out. Game is dead in the water. When turning on/off now, only the backbox & playfield GI lights come on. The 2 rollover target bulbs are lit at top left of playfield, but rest are off. I don’t see any diagnostic lights lit on the Altec MPU or Light driver board. See pics.

I’d start by checking fuses, but not even sure where they are located on these games.

Suggestions appreciated

D59BBBCF-5583-41BD-8E6E-30DC6334D017 (resized).jpegD59BBBCF-5583-41BD-8E6E-30DC6334D017 (resized).jpeg
495167E3-7FAF-412C-A2CA-D17C725D060D (resized).jpeg495167E3-7FAF-412C-A2CA-D17C725D060D (resized).jpeg
5440C711-00A3-4364-A62C-09233D6D0A2B (resized).jpeg5440C711-00A3-4364-A62C-09233D6D0A2B (resized).jpeg

#2 6 years ago

Check the fuses on the transformer board in the bottom of the cab

#3 6 years ago

Duh. I suppose I should have lifted the playfield first.

I can see that the unregulated 5V F3 diagnostic light is out. Looks like I blew the 4A fuse, and of course, that’s the size I don’t have. Off to the auto parts store...

95D6CC71-5AF4-4CFA-913F-3E1C2A41D756 (resized).jpeg95D6CC71-5AF4-4CFA-913F-3E1C2A41D756 (resized).jpeg

#4 6 years ago

Ah I love $3 fixes. Just a fuse. Feel dumb, but that’s a relief.

Back to Ming kicking my ass

12CA2E5A-EBC7-4C81-A068-D9B547F18B8A (resized).jpeg12CA2E5A-EBC7-4C81-A068-D9B547F18B8A (resized).jpeg

#5 6 years ago

I'm glad it was an easy fix!

#6 6 years ago

check the coils , make ure none locked on or are melted.

#7 6 years ago

Alright while I have this thread going, what about this issue?

I have the original soundboard. It can be working fine, then suddenly during the middle of a game, it will start repeating the same sound for any switch hits. Over & over, like it’s caught in a loop. See video.

Even if I turn the game off & turn it back on, the board is still stuck repeating that sound. I have to leave it turned off for a while, or it may just randomly switch back to working correctly during a game. It’s really frustrating. I guess something is just going bad on the soundboard.

I’d consider buying a new soundboard, but I’m pretty sure no one makes brand new ‘squawk n talk” boards for these old Bally’s. I know Altec doesn’t at least.

Suggestions?

#8 6 years ago

Replace all the caps on the board big daddy sells a kit.....that's where I would start

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Alright while I have this thread going, what about this issue?

The legs of the masked ROMs and the TMS 5200 speech chip on S&T sound boards are prone to getting black tarnish on them that makes conductivity spotty between the chip and the socket. It results in weird behavior and sound/speech patterns. One way to check if this is the problem is to power off the game and press on the ROMS and the TMS chip. Pressing on the chips can often temporarily make contact between the legs and the socket and clear up problems. But you didn't fix anything, issues will crop up again at some point.

The only real fix is to replace the sockets since the black stuff gets down inside the socket and can't really be cleaned out. You can *carefully* remove the chips lightly sand the legs on the ROMs to remove the corrosion, but you may as well just replace them with EPROMs that don't have corrosion on them. As for the TMS speech chip, you have to be careful with this one when cleaning it up. They are hard to come by and are expensive. Sometimes the legs get brittle and will break off. An experienced tech can solder on a new leg, but best to not mess it up in the first place.

If you send the board off for work, send it to someone with a good reputation such as Chris Hibler or Rob Anthony.

#10 6 years ago

I’ll try pressing on the chipsets a bit, but I’ll be careful. If that doesn’t work, I’ll have to take to to someone.

Rob Anthony = Borygard???

His name sounds familiar. I think he comes to PAGG every year, which is coming up in May. Thanks for the suggestion!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-fix-could-use-some-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.