20210101_151239 (resized).jpg
20201231_214227 (resized).jpg
20201230_132213 (resized).jpg
20201227_145229 (resized).jpg
20201226_082242 (resized).jpg
20201224_161955 (resized).jpg
0757fa888f68d53c882498737fac8448e1c844bd (resized).jpg
6ea810ecbd3f436a7d23be5d2c2b5b03dfcfc2cc (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

This will be the biggest project that I've undertaken, which isn't saying much since everything that I've worked on has been working 90% or more. The game traveled from Texas to Wisconsin and has years' worth of dust, dirt, and grime. All the rubbers were brittle and fell apart, and the bulbs were black from being left on all day long. I'm sure it had a hard life in the wild.

This log is more for me to lay out the issues that the game has, so it'll serve as a checklist and a troubleshooting thread for me. Hopefully you all can come along for a ride and help me out! I'll need it!

First things first. Back box didn't have a key so I had to drill out the lock. It was my first time drilling a lock, and I have to say, it didn't go super smoothly. The back glass, though I could move it up, did not want to come out. After about an hour of babying the thing, I was finally able to pry it out and not damage anything in the process. Whew! Took out the latching bar, and will have to order a new tumbler. I found out that the ones used in the coin door are too short

20180322_162130 (resized).jpg20180322_162130 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

Pics of the dirty, tired, worn, playfield.

It's going to need a lot of love. Been thinking about going the overlay route, since there aren't any CPRs available...I guess I'll see how well it cleans up.

20180322_062134 (resized).jpg20180322_062134 (resized).jpg
20180322_062136 (resized).jpg20180322_062136 (resized).jpg

New game: Name The Drop Targets? Hint: they're not FG targets

#4 6 years ago

After everything was reconnected, I powered it on for the first time...I was nervous.

The list:

First thing I noticed was that there was no sound. Ok: seller disclosed that info to me when I bought the game. It did work on the 3rd or 4th time i powered it up, but then went dead again. U11 LED light is locked on upon powered up, no flashing or blinking. Seller thinks a capacitor kit will resolve, and after a little bit of searching, I will try that first. GPE has the cheapest kits (by a long shot). Anyone know how long it takes before it gets back in stock?
The speakers work, and I can turn the volume pot up and down to hear volume go up and down also. Reflowed header pins on the boards, but will also probably re-crimp all connector pins on all the boards...just for fun

Second thing I notice, and it wasn't until after a while, was that I can feel current running through the side rails. At first, I thought I was imagining things. But when you slowly touch the side rails or the coin door, you can definitely feel a "vibration." Well, shit. That's not safe. So I'll probably replace the power cord with a 3-pronged power cord. Anyone know how to do this? I'll do a bit of research. Will be #1 on my priority list. Unplugged.

Next is the right flippers don't work. I ran through the solenoid test and all the solenoids fire, and I can hear the flipper relay ticking during test. Left flipper works. I cleaned the flipper switches. Nope. Then I swapped left and right switches. No go. I'll next reflow solder to the header pins in the solenoid driver board, then recrimp the connector pins.

From what I could see, GI was working, about half of the controlled lamps were working, only a handful of the back box lamps were working. So not sure if they're bad bulbs, bad sockets, bad SCR's, bad whatever else you can think of. I've read the sound board draws power from the GI? Who comes up with these things? Anyways, they may be related.

Because I felt like I wasn't getting anywhere, and it was late, but I had to wait for the clothes washer to finish, I started wiping down the plastics with Novus 1...because dirty...and so that I wouldn't feel like I didn't accomplish something. They are yellowed and crusty, but they'll do. Only one was broken, but nothing a little mylar couldn't patch together. Also did a wipe of the playfield with a little simple green and naptha. The pf is still dull. Novus 2 brought back a little color ( I just did the left outlane). So when I get it stripped down, I'll probably have to go in with Novus 2 after the initial wipe down....unless anyone else has other thoughts on this. Will lay down a layer of wax when it gets to this point.

I'll work on it more when I get home, maybe...

Oh, and I've been hacking up my lungs with all that dust. I hope I don't die before it gets cleaned up. Vac'd and wiped the inside of the cabinet. I could probably build another pinball machine with all that dust, and the random bulbs, rubbers, and hardware inside.

#5 6 years ago

I have a feeling I will be pasting a lot of Vid's guides. What a pinball treasure!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-line-cords-plugs-wall-sockets-vids-guide

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

there is a vid guide for replacing power cords.

I beat you to it

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Cap kit for S&T probably a good idea.
You should not operate game without a grounded plug. Green wire in power cord is earth prong, black is hot, white is neutral (wider prong)
Probably a bad flipper coil if you checked the switch.
If lamps ain't working probably bad SCR's. That game has an aux driver board so if that goes out you will see a bunch of lights out on the BB. Quickest way to tesy, take test lead tied to ground braid (after you fix plug) and short to lamp terminal. That should bypass the driver and light the lamp if it has power on the other side.

Problem is, GPE is out of stock, and I'm impatient! and I don't want to spend $20+ on other kits, since GPE is only like $7. I'm too cheap for this hobby.

Going to stop at HD or HF after work and pick up a black extension cord or IEC cord, and solder that in. Making sure all of the grounding braid is attached securely. Going to follow Vid's guide to the letter.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

make sure you have the grd braind attached in head also (should just be a pi tail that screws into the head braid)

yep, got that. There was a screw in the head slightly raised on a ground braid. I attached it there.

#12 6 years ago

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-8-ft-16-3-Extension-Cord-Black-AW64003/206029137

I'm assuming this will work, rated at 13 amps, black, grounded. Let me know before I travel back to the future

#14 6 years ago

Brand name vs generic? Who knows. It's all in the marketing. I hear there's an expert marketer that does a podcast. I digress...

#17 6 years ago
#21 6 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I see you have one of the dark blue playfields. The "IGNITES PLAYFIELD" is a dark blue. Every photo online is a sky bright blue. I am making my own overlay and yours is the only one besides mine that has this colour.

Cool. I didn't realize this was a thing!

Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Always glad to see another FG brought back from the dead & restored to greatness The game is too amazing to remain neglected.
Good luck with the project!

Greatness??? Let be real here. I'm shooting for mediocrity at best.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

If you're already going to order parts from PBR.....get the cord from them too
14'Electrical Cord Replacement
PBR # CORD-SET-14
$6.35ea

Already bought a 15' cord from the big orange store....but believe me, once Ive finalized the plethora of parts from PBresource, they can close down for the rest of the year

#23 6 years ago

Black, white and....blue?

Using my superpower of deductive reasoning, i concluded that the blue wire was the ground. So...in it went.

And no more zappy mczappyface!

20180323_175857 (resized).jpg20180323_175857 (resized).jpg

20180323_181807 (resized).jpg20180323_181807 (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago

Dang boy! Look at those joints!

20180323_190420 (resized).jpg20180323_190420 (resized).jpg
20180323_190955 (resized).jpg20180323_190955 (resized).jpg
20180323_190917 (resized).jpg20180323_190917 (resized).jpg

oooooooooooooohhh-shiny (resized).jpgoooooooooooooohhh-shiny (resized).jpg

#25 6 years ago

This resolved the flipper issue, so now both sides flip. Yay! Next is sound and lights. I might buckle and buy the more expensive cap kit from Marcos to do the S&T board.

With the lights, I'm going with good ol' Comet LEDs in warm white. No wedge bulbs to flub up so I can't blame them when something gets shorted.

Let's see how many actually work and if I'll be doing all the SCRs...

#26 6 years ago

I think I gotta go with the overlay. The pf feels rough, and it aint pretty! I don't think I would be really happy with it unless I had a better playing surface. Plus, there are a few inserts that are cracked, and I might as well go the full 9 on it. But thats down the line I think. I need to get it playing 100% first.

#28 6 years ago

There's no rush right now to do the overlay or the hardtop (I'm assuming that's what you're talking about).

Just throwing out my thought that after I clean it and get it working 100%, that some new playing surface is in its future I guess we'll see what's available whenever that time comes.

#32 6 years ago

If anything, I would do overlay and clear coat, with just doing a topside teardown. But that's off off off...Im not sure if CPRs would be even available for this game anymore. One in a million??? But it wouldn't hurt to start a WTB thread.

Right now, like you said, a deep clean and 100% running machine. I may just enjoy it for what it is too! Man though, it is dirty!

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

The Squawk and Talk in your FG booted a couple of times when I had the game, and worked correctly until I power cycled it. The correct sounds and speech. It probably needs the IC sockets replaced, as well as a cap kit. The machined SIP sockets Great Plains sells work well - Cut them to the needed length - but there are other good sockets too.

Thanks for the SIP sockets! Will get a bunch of those. I like that you can cut to length. So I know for sure, which IC's did you replace?

#36 6 years ago

Worked on it quite a bit today. LOTS of cleaning. Stripped it down and busted out the Novus 3 because it was bad. Short of Magic Eraser and rubbing alcohol, it did a pretty decent job. Went over again with Novus 2. Then a coat of wax. All of the posts and hardware went into the ultrasonic. I feel a LOT better about the playfield now. Also removed the ramps and sanded them down with 100, 320, then 600 grits and also sanded the stainless guides in the back.

20180324_085801 (resized).jpg20180324_085801 (resized).jpg
20180324_092149 (resized).jpg20180324_092149 (resized).jpg
20180324_123706 (resized).jpg20180324_123706 (resized).jpg

#37 6 years ago

Anyone know where this spinner came from?

I ended up throwing this in the ultrasonic too and cleaned off the paint. I'll find some spinner decals to replace it with.

20180324_085813 (resized).jpg20180324_085813 (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago

Another bit of good news is that all the GI and controlled lamps work! Woohoo! One less thing to troubleshoot.

But a bit of bad news is that I'm going to have to replace a few star rollover inserts.

Advice on the best way to go about This? I'll probably replace them with red since PBR says the orange ones don't match.

20180324_144141 (resized).jpg20180324_144141 (resized).jpg
20180324_144153 (resized).jpg20180324_144153 (resized).jpg

#40 6 years ago

Titan rubbers were supposed to show up today but it looks like they got lost or something as the tracking information has been generic for the last two days. . Otherwise, i would have been flipping the Ball! Waiting on more packs of LEDs.

Will also have to order the siegecraft boards for the controlled lamps. Otherwise it seems like everything else is basic shop out: rebuilding pops and flippers, cleaning all mechs, replacing drops etc. Fingers crossed, hopefully the S&T board is the only real issue!

#42 6 years ago

Going with NVRAM. Will place an order with barakandl soon! Just wanted to make sure I didn't need to order anything else at the same time.

#43 6 years ago

Another day, a bit more stuff done. Cleaned and resleeved the slings and the saucer kicker (cool mech btw) nothing too special...but I did remove my first inserts today! They were so brittle, it took barely any force for them to crumble. 2 out of the 3 came out mostly whole. The 3rd one crumbled to pieces and left a ring inside the playfield. A little more heat and a flat screwdriver took care of it though. The others seemed to be replaced already. I just think it's funny that they would only do a few and not all of them. Ordered a bunch of parts today too. Now the waiting...

20180325_204036 (resized).jpg20180325_204036 (resized).jpg
20180325_204117 (resized).jpg20180325_204117 (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

That looks great! Mine is probably better off without me doing 2nd grade art on it . I can live with it. If down the line I decide to keep it, I'll do the cabinet repaint and overlays with clear on it. I still haven't even played a game on it yet, but it'll great when i finally can.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from wm6929:

Hard deck was what I was talking about. Rumor has it that CPR does not want to do another run of FG, so I am not going to hold my breath.

Not sure what hard deck is. I know CPR won't be doing another run. I was referring to people selling their playfields. Do you have a link for hard deck?

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Hardtop, the new playfield overlay they did for Space Shuttle. Your game will look good when you are done.
Not everything needs a new playfield. Some wood showing on the playfield is not a bad thing. I thought I would post some pictures of a Verona Don "custom" touchup job on a Flash Gordon I picked up several years ago to inspire you lol. The only game I regret buying...

That's pretty bad lol. Would much rather have the bare wood than a headless Ming! I've seen good results with the ebay overlay that some other people have documented. I wouldn't replace every single insert (but who knows, I might just be crazy enough to!) But yeah, there are other alternatives to CPR playfields. That's what I was trying to say earlier

The bare wood is growing on me. There is a ring of glue near the top bumper when the mylar was removed. I haven't tried to take it off yet, as I don't want to remove any paint. I was thinking a bit of goo gone on it....

I did make a little more progress since my last update. I switch over all the lamps to LEDs, and found that I only had about 15 or so lamps that were strobing. Score! I added resistors to each socket, and now I don't have to sweat about spending another $75 on Seigecraft LED boards. Also did black Titan rubbers. I didn't realize that the slings called for 3" rubbers?? That felt way too loose, and I didn't have 2.5" on hand so I went with 2". I'll have to change it out to 2.5" the next time I place an order. Not sure how long the 2" rings will last.

Cap kit and NVRAM arrive today. Hoping my PBR order arrives before the weekend, got a few things arriving tomorrow too! I love getting pinball parts!

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

If you want some examples of salvaging with touch up paint that isn’t perfect but looks way better than you started with... click through my album. You can see the start point. Now, most people don’t even know from the player position. This was just done with artist acrylics and some brushes.
https://flynnibus.smugmug.com/Pinball/Flash-Gordon/

That looks really great! You did a nice job matching color. I'm a little artsy, but not that artsy. Did you put some kind of protection over the touched up areas?

#54 6 years ago

Nice! I have some red and black at home. I might just do the solid parts, whenever I get around to it. If anything, it'll just wear back down and be no worse than when I got it

#55 6 years ago

Got the cap kit today. Got my station set up, ready for battle. This will be the biggest board repair I've attempted. I know you're thinking, easy peasy...well, with a real risk of damaging the board and me doing this for this first time, i was a bit nervous!

20180328_155912 (resized).jpg20180328_155912 (resized).jpg
20180328_161751 (resized).jpg20180328_161751 (resized).jpg

Capacitors installed. I triple probably quadruple checked to make sure the polarity was all correct.

20180328_184505 (resized).jpg20180328_184505 (resized).jpg

And.....it works!!! I now have sound! I didn't replace the socket, and probably won't but awww yeah! I feel like I took a big step today

#61 6 years ago

SIP sockets were ordered and I will be getting them today. I was only going to replace the socket at U11 as suggested, but I did inspect it and it looked fine to my untrained eye. If the sound goes wonky again, that'll be my first thing. All speech and sounds work. I even replaced the little pot dials...I was feeling ambitious!

I reflowed the solder joints at J1 (I did all the header pins on all the boards). The pins looked clean and are holding strong, plus I don't have any spares to replace it with!

So as of right now, everything *cross my fingies* is working as it should. The three star rollover inserts are out, otherwise I would have played a few games! C'mon PBR!!! Waiting for parts is the worst.

#62 6 years ago

Parts come today, so it'll be a busy Easter weekend! YASSSS!!!

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

If the sound works reliably now then you probably fixed the problem with the cap kit, congratulations! Eventually you'll have a board that does need sockets though. The Hakko FR-300 is a great desoldering tool, especially on those old Bally MPUs with their delicate, easy to lift traces. You'll wonder how you got along without it.

I have the csi8900 desoldering gun. It worked well for the most part. i did lift a pad on the printed side, but the other side was ok. Whew!

Overall I'm extremely happy with my first foray into board repair. I'm not extremely worried about replacing the socket and can do it if needed!

#65 6 years ago

Another thing to add to the list is that the tilt bob isn't working so I'll have to dive into that later.

#66 6 years ago

Hooolllyyyy CRAP! I am tired. I did 3 drop target mechs, 3 flipper rebuilds, and 3 pop bumper rebuilds, with cabinet buttons and switches, switch cleaning and adjusting, and some other tweaking...and it's mostly playable! Still waiting on Cliffy lane guides and hole protectors. There's pretty bad ball hop coming down the inlanes but the new guides should fix that. Also have to sort out game settings as it's giving me a replay on the first score I make, even though i thought i had it set to 550K. But that's minor stuff. For all intents and purposes, this game is up and running!

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from pingod:

Shopping my FG out right now too.
Just did the pop bumper assemblies too.
Right now one fires when random switches are hit,but not the pop bumper itself,Weird.
good luck with yours.

That is wierd. I'm sure you've done this already but I would check the switch gap. My left sling machine guns after it activates and I have to open up the gap a bit more. Have fun!

#69 6 years ago

Can anyone tell me what this is and would it be a reason why the tilt bob isn't registering? It doesn't show continuity and I'm assuming it would.

20180401_163135 (resized).jpg20180401_163135 (resized).jpg

#70 6 years ago

Ok so found it was a ceramic disc capacitor and a replacement was suggested. Would this be the culprit?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/y5f-12v-caps-found-on-bally-machines

#74 6 years ago
#75 6 years ago

So what happened since I last updated...I started a couple other troubleshooting threads. One was for because the right sling dropped out of its mounting holes (yeah, I know) and shorted out the controlled lamps. A new 20A fuse on the rectifier board fixed that. The strobe light also went out when this happened, but I putzed around with the Aux lamp board and the strobe board (basically inspected and cleaned) and not sure what I did, but it started working again.

The other thing was the tilt bob not registering. After some fine detective work by @quench, he saw that the diode was removed to disable the tilt. Replaced the diode and Ming now laughs at me...

I ordered a few more parts that I didn't know about until going through the mechs, ordered thin Titan flipper rubbers to help with ball hop, also have Cliffy lane guides and hole protector coming soon (*wink*wink @cliffy) then I think I'll call it done and done for now!

Have played several games up to this point, and I'm loving it! Just a few more kinks to work out and Flash will be ready to save the universe

#77 6 years ago

I actually had a 1.3 million game the other day! This was with mostly (I think all) conservative settings and no extra ball awarded (was still messing with the settings) even though I "earned" an extra ball on the right inline drops. I set it up to the "Recommended Settings" in the manual, but wondering what other people have done. Will post in the Club thread Will need to increase the slope as well. It's right around 6.5 degrees right now.

#79 6 years ago

5 ball? Im sad such an option even exists!

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from wm6929:

I re-capped my strobe board, when it was not working. All good now.

Knock on wood, everything is working right now. Just waiting on the finishing touches. Just gotta say again that I really love this game! So fun. I want to make it a bit steeper, but I'd like other people to be able to enjoy it too

#83 6 years ago

It took WAY too long to Frankenstein this switch together but I did it. At first I installed a double contact switch so the when i pressed the Start button, it would also add credits. Well, the blades were way too short, and I didn't realize until after I put it up to the screw holes. So I decided to just use half of the switch and smack it together with the original switch. But imagine me with my fat fingers trying to pry apart the new switch to hobble it together with the old switch...yeah, that took like 2 hrs...

But it's done now. I adjusted the first switch to activate on a short press of the button, without adding credits. On a full press, it will activate the second switch to add credits. This way, i don't have to hear the laugh and coin up sound every time I start a game. When this happens it interrupts the normal starting sound sequence. Now I can enjoy the game starting as normal.

Came across two minor issues today. One of the pops have phantom switch hits, and the vibration of the upper flipper is causing the upper drop target to slide backwards and drop....more fun to deal with!

20180404_195955 (resized).jpg20180404_195955 (resized).jpg

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

common on this era of Bally (assuming you have already check for switch gap)
It is my understanding that it is related to those little disc caps on switches. Replace them all and then new caps on the flippers for flipper rebuild typically takes care of it (or at least greatly reduces it)

I haven't looked into it yet. I'll check for the switch gap first since I did adjust it to be very sensitive. I'll probably back if off a touch, and that will probably help. If not, I'll replace those disc capacitors or cut off one of the legs as a short (or long.... ) fix.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Blenderhead:

IMO, a "WTB" ad for a CPR FG playfield will yield "0" results. Whether it be a gold, silver, etc. I suggest practicing touch up's with water based acyrilic paints. I have owned at least 60+ machines, and have had fantastic results with touch-up's. If you don't like the results, clean that stuff off, since you can, because it's acklilic paint. Don't leave that upper playfield looking like shit... this is a FG for crying out loud... it deserves better!
I recently obtainted a FG with day 1 mylar... I removed that crap...with awesome results. It looks freaking awesome, no CPR PF needed. I also repainted the cab with Pinball Pimp stencils...which are "the shit" IMO. My FG looks like I traveled back to 1980 and went to the Bally factory and picked it up off the assembly line.. I suggest you do the same to yours. Mine is next to a Skateball that looks the same..

I'm not too worried about the cosmetics right now. TBH, I don't even notice it when I play If I decide to keep it long term, I might consider painting the cab, and doing an overlay, otherwise, it's just as fun as hell as it is!

#88 6 years ago

So the shooter rod that I ordered from PBR is quite a bit shorter than the old rod with the flattened tip. I haven't re-checked their website agsin, but does this game require a special long rod? *insert rod jokes here*

New one is on the left

37003 (resized).jpeg37003 (resized).jpeg

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Inspiration for me to do mine. Only had it two years now.

I would not be able to wait a week much less 2 years!

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Flattened tip? You mean the end of the plunger is mushroomed out a bit from being used without a rubber shooter tip? I've fixed them before by just grinding off the flattened part, then smoothing the edges a bit. Put a new rubber tip on it and you're good. I even used a file once. Took a while but it worked.

The tip was mushroomed and I took a dremel tool to grind the edges down on the old one. I'm used to a tapered end, and wasn't sure with this game, so I decided to replace it. I'm working with PBR now with it. Marco shows both a 7-3/8" rod and a 7-13/16" rod. The shorter one (on their website) has a point on the know that is rounded off. The longer one has a point that comes to a tip. The rod from PBR has a pointy tip (not rounded) and measures 7-1/2" so it's like a combination of the two different rods? The one in my game now is just shy of 7-13/16". It seems though that the plunge is weak but it puts the ball into play, but it seems like it should be stronger. Again, just my inexperience with this game, but I thought a new plunger would help that. I have a stronger spring that I'll try as well. Hopefully that will help.

#94 6 years ago

PBR is sending me a new shooter rod. I'll measure it when I get it. Jimmy said that they changed the website but I didn't see it. I guess what I'll do in the future is measure my old shooter rod and confirm the length before placing the order.

Also got confirmation from Cliff that my order is fulfilled...so new ball guides in the next week or so. Can't wait!

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I measured the (3) shooter rods I bought a few months back....also all measure to 7-1/2" as well.

They won't fit into your Flash Gordon, that I can tell you! I haven't tried to swap it into my Paragon yet. I'll have to take a look at it, I'd like to try to use it if I can.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

are we still talkin bout pinball?

I'd post a pic of your rod of choice, but I don't want to get ejected from my own thread

#101 6 years ago

I'm getting a replacement, so we'll see if it measures up. I told Jimmy the measurements of the different lengths of rods. I wonder how they came up with their 7-1/2 measurement, and if they manufacture some of their own parts? Not sure where it comes from. He said they changed their website, but I couldn't find it. I'm going to need to put a new spring in it too, because the rod I have now needs a full plunge to make it all the way through and I have to make sure the playfield is pulled tight to the cabinet.

#102 6 years ago

Cliffy to the rescue! Now the ball rolls smoothly to the flipper and I can (attempt to) hit shots on the fly! How much difference removing the ball hop makes! Also installed the double saucer protector. Looks and fits perfectly as usual!

I also replaced the disc capacitors and diodes on all the pop bumpers and the diodes on the left bank of drops and the inlane and outlane switches. I noticed the phantom pops stopped from the few games I played. I was getting a bonus 5K at the start of the game when the ball gets kicked into the shooter lane. I was hoping changing the diodes would help but I still get it every once in a while. Any thoughts on this?

Otherwise game is pretty darn near complete!

20180412_164127 (resized).jpg20180412_164127 (resized).jpg

20180412_164132 (resized).jpg20180412_164132 (resized).jpg

#104 6 years ago

I've gone through most, if not all of the switches cleaning and adjusting gaps. When I replaced the diodes on these switches, I checked the gaps again and they're all good. I'm not overly concerned with it. I'm going to check the outhole kicker to see if it has any diodes or disc caps and replace them, as it only happens when the ball gets kicked into the shooter lane. Idk, lol. Just doing what I think *might* help.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

I've not played this one, but is there a specific switch that awards this bonus? If so, obviously check that one first!

Yes. The sound effect that accompanies it, I believe, are the inlane switches. They award 5K when unlit.

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Once you start a game, thump the pf with your fist, see if you can recreate the 5k award, if so, i would think it is likely mechanical.
Then just check those specific switches for proper gap again.

Yep, I've done that also

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Hmmm, perhaps bad diode / cap on one of them, but you said those are new?

Yep, just replaced those, but there are other switches that I haven't replaced them on either, so it could be one of those. idk. i'm sure I'll find it eventually, and it doesn't have a huge impact (negligible really) on gameplay. It's only at the same moment that ball 1 gets kicked into the plunger lane, so there's a link there somewhere.

#112 6 years ago

Yeah, I know! I'll look at the schematics. I think of it as Emperor Ming giving me a 5k point handicap

#113 6 years ago

Got the new shooter rod installed that is the correct length. Also replaced the spring and it launches much better now. I'm not a fan of the knob finish though and will probably order the proper pointy knob from Marco the next time I need parts, but it's functional 100%

Unless someone knows how to swap out knobs?

20180417_183913 (resized).jpg20180417_183913 (resized).jpg

#115 6 years ago

I didn't see any pins in the knob. I'll try to grab a pic of it.

#118 6 years ago

Yeah, I'm a little disappointed with the chrome knob...

2 years later
#119 3 years ago

Wow, it's been over 2 years since I got the game. I'm necro-bumping this thread back up because I was able to get a copy of a CPR digital print this week and a new set of plastics, so my first pf swap/restore will take place! It's not going to be anything crazy. A cabinet repaint, some new rails, legs, and lockdown bar. Since I already went through all of the mechs and replaceable plastic bits, I won't have to do anything above the playfield really. Just can't wait to get rolling on this game. First will be sanding, prepping and painting the cabinet. Likely in a couple weeks once I order a set of stencils and the weather starts to cool down a bit. Plus it'll give time for the pf to fully cure.

0757fa888f68d53c882498737fac8448e1c844bd (resized).jpg0757fa888f68d53c882498737fac8448e1c844bd (resized).jpg6ea810ecbd3f436a7d23be5d2c2b5b03dfcfc2cc (resized).jpg6ea810ecbd3f436a7d23be5d2c2b5b03dfcfc2cc (resized).jpg

2 months later
#121 3 years ago
Quoted from wm6929:

thought CPR was not going to redo flash gordon? How is the PF swap?

They did a short run using their digital printing process a few months earlier. They may do another short run since there seems to still be some demand for it.

Haven't gotten around to the swap yet as I've brought in a few other games that have since gone into my lineup. But hoping to get to it this winter yet. Planning on redoing the cabinet when the spring rolls around in 2021.

1 month later
#122 3 years ago

The swap begins! Topside is pretty much stripped. All the posts went through several cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner and will be nice and clean when I start to repopulate the topside. Ordered a tumbler, so metal parts will be getting a polish when it (hopefully) arrives on Monday.

20201224_161955 (resized).jpg20201224_161955 (resized).jpg

#124 3 years ago

So I just realized today that I don't have any staple down sockets . Pinball Life is on vacation until Jan 4, so that means my whole plan to get the playfield swap done is pretty much delayed until after the new year, and after my vacation as well

Kind of bummed, but I'm willing to wait to do it right and doing it bit by bit after work. In the mean time, I can get things labeled and the new playfield prepped as much as I can.

#126 3 years ago

I think I have inserts, switches, and coils labeled. I know its probably overkill, but I'm not going to wash the harness, and I'm not going to doubt my stupidity, so I took the safest route for me

I think that's all I can do until my new sockets come. I'll start next by hammering T-nuts, nails, and guide rails on the new pf, and prepping screw holes with Kruzman's pf prep kit.

20201226_082242 (resized).jpg20201226_082242 (resized).jpg
#127 3 years ago

Did some polishing...

20201227_145229 (resized).jpg20201227_145229 (resized).jpg
#128 3 years ago

Bottom side removed. I left all of the mechs in place and connected since it's all been gone through already. I had the hardest time removing the flipper bats, of all things. I used a literal 5 lb hammer to get them out. I never would have gotten them out while in the game. All new parts too.

20201230_132213 (resized).jpg20201230_132213 (resized).jpg
#129 3 years ago

Holy shit....I just spent the last 2+ hours cleaning out the clear from 5 of 7 star rollovers. The first one took a while, as I didnt quite know what I was doing, but then I started to get a feel for what to take off and where. It's not perfect, but hopefully once new star rollovers are in, it wont be noticeable. But damn...that is a lot of tedious work.

This kit from Ron Kruzman is a must have.

20201231_214227 (resized).jpg20201231_214227 (resized).jpg

#130 3 years ago

Rails got a fresh coat of black lacquer and are back on the game. Gotta say, it's starting to look pretty darn nice.
20210101_151239 (resized).jpg20210101_151239 (resized).jpg

I suppose I could start to repopulate the topside while I wait to order the.reat of what I need from the bottom side.

#131 3 years ago

More progress. Parts order placed yesterday, hoping to get it by Tuesday so I can start repopulating the bottomside

20210103_100059 (resized).jpg20210103_100059 (resized).jpg
#135 3 years ago

Yay for progress! Braid has been laid....

20210107_170952 (resized).jpg20210107_170952 (resized).jpg

#136 3 years ago

Need to do a little bit of rework. After I had soldered all of the wiring to the brackets and tabs of the staple-down sockets, I realized that I didn't pay attention to the orientation of the tabs on the staple-down sockets when I was stapling them in. I learned in another thread that GI is fine and that the orientation doesn't matter, but that feature lamps/controlled lamps do matter. So since some of the staple-down sockets are controlled, it looks like I'll be doing some rework to correct that. Pay attention to tabs! For next time.

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from ufiti:

Planning my playfield swap now. May I ask what braid you bought and where from? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I bought the braid from Pinball Resource. I had bought it a while ago, not specifically for this project, so I can't recall, but I'm pretty sure it is from there.

#141 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Staple downs for feature lamps don’t have an orientation so to speak. You just need to be sure the the braid stays on the correct tab from lamp to lamp. Just check continuity on each side from end of run to end of run. That said the screw down lamp holders you used can present a problem. I can’t tell from that photo if both tabs or lugs are insulated from the lamp body. If only one tab is isolated you need to be sure your not attaching the controlled wire to the tab touching the lamp body. If both tabs are isolated from the lamp body then one tab must be tied to the stapled down braid.

It seems that the tabs from the staple downs are isolated from each other. I did continuity tests on one of them. One tab is connected to the socket housing, and the other tab is connected to the spring inside...I'm pretty sure that is consistent with what I found with the screw down lamp holders you are referring to.

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Staple downs for feature lamps don’t have an orientation so to speak. You just need to be sure the the braid stays on the correct tab from lamp to lamp. Just check continuity on each side from end of run to end of run. That said the screw down lamp holders you used can present a problem. I can’t tell from that photo if both tabs or lugs are insulated from the lamp body. If only one tab is isolated you need to be sure your not attaching the controlled wire to the tab touching the lamp body. If both tabs are isolated from the lamp body then one tab must be tied to the stapled down braid.

Looks like you were right about the sockets. The socket is isolated from the bracket, so it looks like I will have some more soldering to do.

20210108_155624 (resized).jpg20210108_155624 (resized).jpg

#143 3 years ago

Finished soldering up the bottomside, but that's not really anything special to look at. Just a couple more things to solder. Plastics will go on last, then I'll set the playfield back into the cabinet to do the flippers, hangers and apron to finish it off. Hopefully I didnt fudge anything on the bottomside.

20210111_212618 (resized).jpg20210111_212618 (resized).jpg
#144 3 years ago

And I can't forget the spinners! Those have to make it back on too at some point

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from guitarded:

Awesome. I spent a couple hours on mine last night. Such a fun game. Yours is looking spectacular.
One suggestion you might try if you have them laying around, I threw a set of clear Titans on my slings and it helped to brighten up the PF a bit more.
They look and play really well and quite similar to the black rubber I had on there.

I don't have clear rings and these were new Titans when I shopped it out from before. I tend to use clear rings on games with RGB lights and solid colors for most other games. Nothing too crazy either; black or white usually for older games. I might do colors on DMD-present . I guess I'm a traditionalist when it comes to the older games.

#147 3 years ago

Had some slow down this week. We got a new TV and are rearranging the living room, so that's been taking some of my time away from the swap The flippers are presenting a bit of an alignment problem. With the wise wisdom of Vid, I will need to elongate the mounting hole on the left side lane guide to allow enough adjustment so that the guides an ride in line with the flipper. The right side seems just right.

036c7cd6fa45e1525df2d8db0eeb90e3940f8aa5 (resized).jpg036c7cd6fa45e1525df2d8db0eeb90e3940f8aa5 (resized).jpgc6ebfbef5ae294844e1b8fefb0a97d6922eff03e (resized).jpgc6ebfbef5ae294844e1b8fefb0a97d6922eff03e (resized).jpg

But after this, there isn't too much left to do. I'm nervous about plugging the playfield back into the game. The main thing is the braid for the sockets and hoping that everything was run correctly. I forget to check for continuity from end of run to end of run...so I might do that before I get everything reinstalled.

#148 3 years ago

Plugged in the playfield for the first time this morning. I was halfway expecting some things not to work. So...no upper left GI, no mini bonus or bonus insert lights, both lower pops are tied together, no left flipper.

I haven't done any more troubleshooting besides that. The game was working 100% prior to the swap...so I've got some info to collect in the next few days.

Not sure why the pops or flipper are funky, since the flipper was never disconnected and the pops were wired the same way they were removed (or so I thought).

#149 3 years ago

A few switch adjustments resolved the flipper and pops so that's good news, and I totally missed soldering a set of a couple wires, so I've got my inserts working. There are a few inserts that are out, so I'll need to investigate that further and the upper left GI is still out. I'm sure I didnt connect something correctly there, as it was kind of messy before I took it apart.

#150 3 years ago

The playfield swap is all wrapped up, I think. I missed soldering on another set of wires which got all of my lights working, then fine tuned some switches, got the plastics on and played a few balls and tweaked some more. I think I can put the glass back on until it warms up and I can do my first cabinet restencil. All in all, I'm really happy with how it turned out. I definitely made some mistakes, but I definitely learned a lot and will do better on my next game.

Next updates will probably in the spring when I repaint.

20210118_193701 (resized).jpg20210118_193701 (resized).jpg20210118_193707 (resized).jpg20210118_193707 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#153 3 years ago
Quoted from AudioHaven:

Incredible - nice work...I admire your ability to take the time to learn all of this stuff. This game deserved it!

Thanks Josh! I appreciate the kind words. It was definitely a fun project and gave me more confidence for my next swap, whatever that may be. You're a smart guy, you would be able to learn it to!

Loving CII btw. Such a great game!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 99.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
7,995 (OBO)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 199.95
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider FatPanda.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-a-shop-out-log?tu=FatPanda and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.