• Latest reply 4 months ago by SeaLawyer
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

stillpic (resized).jpg

#1 6 months ago

This is a project I started last year. This is an attempt to modernize the game with video from the original movie and audio from the soundtrack by Queen. I brought the game to Pincinnati last December. I got lots of good feedback there. I decided at that time to add multiball but I got sidetracked with my moving Godzilla mod and I just got back to it about a month ago. I added a trough and ball launcher and after solving a few switch and solenoid challenges, I now have it working. I'm still writing code and smashing bugs but here are the features as it currently stands.

Features

-Custom gameplay video via 15” monitor
-Custom audio and music by Queen(movie soundtrack and other tracks)
-“Break Free” multiball – Lock ball behind inline drop targets
-“Dreamers Ball” add-a-ball multiball
-Shooter lane rollover skill shot
-Timed ball save
-Wood Beast Extra ball
-Saucer Extra Ball

A special thanks to Dick Hamil for creating BSOS which allows the development of custom code for these old Bally/stern games.
Thanks as well to other developers(T. Murren, etc.) who provided excellent examples of rethemed games up to this point.

Below are some videos of the Gameplay. My apologies for the poor quality, I hope to make some better ones once I get proper equipment.

Also, assuming I get some progress on the code and bug fixes, I'm planning to take the game to Trent's(Tilt Amusements) pinball thing in Ostrander Ohio on Aug. 11-12. It's a great all around event and tournament.

Here is the link to his event. https://www.facebook.com/events/1644634966061269/?post_id=1644634972727935

stillpic (resized).jpgstillpic (resized).jpg

#2 6 months ago

This is amazing!

GORDON’S ALIVE?!!

#3 6 months ago

Nice ! I just bought a flash, so i'm very interested !
Come on !

#4 6 months ago

I played this at Pincinnati and very excited about it. If they were to make a 2.0 for this game I would buy it. The soundtrack and callouts are perfect. For now I am settling for the VP. Congrats for taking this on.

#5 6 months ago

Amazing!

#6 6 months ago

This is incredible! Great work, hope to play it some day!

#8 6 months ago

Looks cool! Great work. Is this a branch of my game code? Attract lights seem familiar.

#9 6 months ago

Awesome, great work!

#10 6 months ago

Cool mod!

It would be nice just to add a small lcd screen to the apron for video so to keep the original backbox and to switch back to original code if you wanted imho.

#11 6 months ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Looks cool! Great work. Is this a branch of my game code? Attract lights seem familiar.

I assume you are T. Murren? If so, then yes I did use some of your code including attract. That attract is Gorgeous BTW, Great work!

#12 6 months ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. @mwiz, I understand that not everyone is going to want to do this to their game. This game was in real rough shape when I got it. The cabinet was/is rough, the playfield was worn down to the bare wood. I replaced all the inserts(clear) and put a hard top on it. I haven't really thought about how you might add multiball, video/audio and keep the original backglass and displays. Maybe some day once I get the code stable and some free time.

#13 6 months ago

Thanks to everyone who came and played the Game at Trent's event this weekend. I got a lot of great feedback. If you played it and I didn't speak with you, please let me know your thoughts.

#14 6 months ago

Wow. I talked about building a multiball Flash Gordon and here you have done it. My plan was to go either two or three balls. I look forward to checking it out to see if we had the same ideas.

#15 6 months ago

Fantastic work so far! Do you think you could replace your spinner sound effect with one of the many Flash Gordon Queen music riffs on a timer? So the better the spinner rip the longer the riff.

1 month later
#16 5 months ago

Can't believe I missed this thread. Nice work so far!!!

#17 5 months ago

Great work!

1 week later
#18 4 months ago

Fantastic! I responded to your FB post. Was thinking of doing a lot of the same (updated rules/code, Queen soundtrack/movie callouts, multiball, etc., but keeping the stock back glass). I envisioned a 3-ball multiball like TNA, where you lock successive balls in the inline drops. What ball return tray did you use underneath? What auto-plunger did you use? Any other under-the-playfield mechanical changes? Would love more details on the build!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2023 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.