(Topic ID: 289066)

Flash Gordon 2021: Re-imagined code for Bally Flash Gordon (1981)

By bluebomber

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230525_104435 (resized).jpg
flashboard 2 (resized).jpeg
78189972de518cb69a4958d65038c294c57572aa (resized).jpg
Screen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_7.00.15_PM (resized).png
IMG_4094 (resized).jpg
IMG_4100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4102 (resized).JPG
IMG_4104 (resized).JPG
20210730_134028 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
aaca33030c8d53da080e15a6efc6b4b935144362 (resized).jpg
error (resized).png
sketch (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I'm still working on implementing sound, but when I'm done there should be two versions of the code available. One will use the Squawk & Talk board with original sounds, and the other will use the WAV Trigger board with custom sounds. We just figured out how to communicate with the S&T, but are still refining it.
This is the WAV Trigger used for this project: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13660. The sounds are uploaded to an SD card that inserts into the WAV Trigger, and the Trigger is run by the Arduino, so it needs to be part of the system to work.
I think Dick's original intention was to keep the BSOS project easily accessible. The code is free, he tried to keep the hardware as cheap as possible to put together, and he's not looking to profit from this whatsoever. At the moment, the gerber files to send to a circuit board manufacturer are included with the BSOS base code. I'm keeping my corner of the project inline with that, but I'm realizing that the upgraded gameplay code is not accessible to people who do not want to build their own boards from scratch, or don't have the knowledge/skill to. I'm curious if you would be looking for a fully plug and play solution with code already installed, or if simply providing a parts source for the bare circuit board and buffer ic is enough.

I don't have any plans to support it in my code, but geeteoh said that the BSOS Arduino board should be able to control it. It sounds interesting, and it should be fairly easy for someone to add it to my code later.

As long as the S&T interface is working I would think it would be possible to use that, or the WAV trigger, or BOTH. The WAV trigger could just augment the existing sounds to add to them.

Don't know much about that alternate S&T board but if it really is a plug in replacement then it should just work in place of the original S&T.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Quick question, as I am also running the ALLTEK board.
Step 20 of the RoyGBev adapter kit instructions says to run a lead from the IRQ header on the adapter board to R134 on the MPU board. Seeing how the ALLTEK is surface mount, is this required or does the adapter board make use of the extra pins on the ALLTEK and avoid this step?

You shouldn’t need that extra lead on an Alltek. Only the Bally -17 or -35 boards need it.

2 months later
#122 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I had uploaded Squawk & Talk test footage to YouTube to share with Dick back in April. I just made it public today for him to use in his documentation, and thought I should share here:

Nice! I am working on Elektra and the Squawk & Talk will help with that project!

#125 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nano in tomorrow!
[quoted image]

If you are putting on an Alltek try to get a Nano with the old boot loader. Those seem to work well on all the MPU boards. Nano modules with the new boot loader don’t seem to run correctly on the Alltek.

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I’ve run FG2021 on Nano’s with both old and new bootloaders on an Alltek MPU, and they have worked fine. For OG MPUs or others, YMMV.

Then you've been lucky or there are some flaky Nano modules around. The old boot loader ones seem to run fine on all the boards I tested Bally -35, MPU-200, and Alltek. The few Nano modules with new bootloader would act erratic on the Alltek but ok on the Bally-35 and MPU-200. It is reproducible. Just a heads up that if someone does have that combination and it acts erratic to try a Nano with the old boot loader instead. I'm not the only one that has come across this.

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm getting no where with programming. I get as far as compiling sketch.. and nothing.
Going to try a different computer and see if that works- The computer sees the nano and in sketch I can load "blink" and the led on the board will blink once when I hit program. It should keep blinking but doesn't.

Does it say upload failed? Before you programmed it (with the Nano connected) did you select the proper COM port that the Nano is on? Do you have the Nano board type selected, also had you tried the regular as well as the (Old Bootloader) options?

#147 2 years ago

I haven't tried to compile the Flash Gordon code yet but I have done the other versions and can try building it on my machine to see if it compiles ok.

1 month later
#168 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Sockected my board today, installed new nano, flashed it to the last code uploaded and it does the same thing.
You have light show, flash unit goes continuously and you have no coil power aside from outhole.

Pictures of your board showing the jumpers? What do the header pins look like on your MPU? If original many are heavily oxidized. Either clean or replace.

On your NANO did you have to use the Old Bootloader? If not you may need to add a delay in the startup since the Nano boards with the new bootloader had startup issues on some boards.

6 months later
#218 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Do you know which BSOS board revision you are building?
There are two versions of the FG2021 game code at the moment. The BSOS Rev1 board (Nano) code only supports the original Squawk & Talk sounds. The Rev2 (Mega) board code supports both the Squawk & Talk and WAV Trigger sounds, but the only sounds that are currently implemented are the Squawk & Talk.

Actually the REV 1 and REV 2 boards are both for the NANO. The difference is the REV 2 has some extra logic needed for STERN sound cards. The REV 2 is what I use in Meteor for the 2021 code. The REV 1 is fine for Bally and early STERN games with chimes.

The REV 3 board is the one that supports the embedded MEGA PRO module instead of the NANO.

1 year later
#229 1 year ago
Quoted from slochar:

looks like just the rev3 stuff is gone, the other stuff listed in message 1 is still there

I believe it is temporary.

#233 1 year ago
Quoted from digitaldocc:

If you guys are revisiting code again and you get a chance it would be the best of both worlds if 2021 code was compatible with the geeteoh sound replacement board.

If that board works as if it was an original board then nothing special should need to be done to use it,

5 months later
#269 6 months ago
Quoted from polishedball:

Anyone running the newest code RPU on a rev3 board? I am seeing an odd issue where in attract mode it just randomly starts a game. Any thoughts?

It helps to mention what boards are in your game. Original Bally-35, Alltek, Weebly, or something else.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 199.95
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs
Electronics
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 99.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball
Boards
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 10.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 10.00
$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball
Hardware
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 45.00
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Electronics
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Displays
Retro Electro Designs
Displays
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robotworkshop.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981?tu=robotworkshop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.