(Topic ID: 289066)

Flash Gordon 2021: Re-imagined code for Bally Flash Gordon (1981)

By bluebomber

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230525_104435 (resized).jpg
flashboard 2 (resized).jpeg
78189972de518cb69a4958d65038c294c57572aa (resized).jpg
Screen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_7.00.15_PM (resized).png
IMG_4094 (resized).jpg
IMG_4100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4102 (resized).JPG
IMG_4104 (resized).JPG
20210730_134028 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
aaca33030c8d53da080e15a6efc6b4b935144362 (resized).jpg
error (resized).png
sketch (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider digitaldocc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#224 1 year ago

Deleted

#225 1 year ago

Do I need a programmer to start tinkering with this code on my mega 2650 or does it hook up straight to the PC via usb? I'm just starting out and am a noob here.

2 months later
#232 1 year ago

If you guys are revisiting code again and you get a chance it would be the best of both worlds if 2021 code was compatible with the geeteoh sound replacement board.

1 week later
#235 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If that board works as if it was an original board then nothing special should need to be done to use it,

If anyone got the 2021 code to work with the geeteoh board please let me know. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

3 weeks later
#252 11 months ago
Quoted from badbilly27:

Appreciate some advice so I don't accidentally blow a board:
1. In pic, it has an Arduino installed (circle one) and the blue connector (circle two below) is just dangling. Appears new code is working as skill shot works. Does that need to be "clipped" on to something? I see in instructions it may or may not. I bought this game with it already installed but fear during moving the clip detached. I just don't want to connect and blow something.
2. I just bought a geeotah squak & talk replacement board. Want the movie sounds. This thread states the arduino and geeotah boards do not work together. Ok. So does that mean I need to pull the arduino (circle one) off the board and then install geeotah board in bottom right, replacing squak & talk? If I leave Arduinio in and install geeotah board I'm assuming something bad will happen.
Appreciate guidance on both - thank you in advance.
[quoted image]

I pulled my roygbev arduino out because they aren't compatible at this time. Having to choose I went with the geeotah board. The way to test compatibility is to just use the geeotah board and set the bank to numbers. Then you can trace the proper sound calls by pressing switches etc. Next plug in the arduino with the 2021 code and do some switch testing and you will notice there is communication between the two but it's way off.

Since there is communication I bet this is fixable and both boards may work together one day.

#253 11 months ago

Well, I was going to try and tweak high/low nibble timings this evening and when the 2021 adapter was plugged in I couldn't even credit a game.

Last time I used the adapter it worked. It's plugged in correctly and I hear boot sounds. Just can't start a game. I remove the adapter and everything works. Tried using the extra ground wire and without.

Last time it worked I was on all alltek boards except the the aux driver board. The only thing that's different is now I have an alltek aux driver board as well.

Do these things suddenly go bad? Wish I had a known working one.

Any advice?

#255 11 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

Extra ground wire? Did you load this Arduino? If you have the Arduino software you can open up the serial monitor while connected to your computer and check the telemetry.

It's the roygbev turnkey solution. I didn't load it but I'm sure he used the same files as all of you. It has the usb port on the mega. Maybe I can just upload all the scripts again to rule out some kind of corruption?

1 week later
#258 11 months ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

I'm happy to help any way that I can.

Thanks for the support. I'm back up and running.

#259 11 months ago

Can you experienced 2021ers tell me if it's safe to compile and upload from my laptop to the arduino adapter plugged into the mpu? If yes, and I don't have to remove it can I do it with machine power on or do I need to kill power to the machine?

#261 11 months ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have done it several hundred times (not exaggerating). On the Rev 1 board, the machine just pauses then reboots when the upload is over. On the Rev 3 Mega, the stock code boots most of the time while the arduino is uploading which is disconcerting the first time it happens. When upload completes, the Arduino boots and halts the stock processor.

Thanks for the tips. I'm up and running and tinkering. So has anyone done some neat stuff or expanded on any of Bluebomber's hard work?

#262 11 months ago

Having spent a long time tracing the extensive code written by Tim and Dick I really need to mention how appreciative I am for all the hard work and love they put into this project.

By the way I'm ready to start tinkering with GPIO communication between the Arduino and a pi. Hoping to trigger video clips on the pi. Has anyone tried such a thing in this ecosystem? I know there is groundwork on the pi for programming triggerable video clips out there in a google search. Just haven't tried anything yet.

Quick google search using "raspberry pi video trigger"
https://github.com/JesseCake/RPi_Triggered_video_player
https://www.vanderbilt.edu/thewondry/software-for-a-button-driven-raspberry-pi-video-player/

#264 11 months ago

Here is an idea I pulled off trying to make the woodbeast target more fun. Challenge the woodbeast on the last target. It's a 50% random chance that you will either get the ball save and be man or the beast bites you. Meaning no flippers and a drain. I'll probably make the reward greater with a ball save and bumping the max balls up to 4.

An example of losing to the beast.

#265 11 months ago
Quoted from RoyGBev:

Yes, I wouldn't have a pinside shop if it wasn't for Tim and Dick and a couple of other folks.
I've used OMXplayer to trigger video clips from a Pi using key presses, from both a shell script and Python, for TV sets used in stage productions. (The Pi can output old-timey composite NTSC for an old TV, as well as newer formats). It can start and stop video instantly on my model 4 Raspberry Pis, and switch seamlessly from one video to the next. Very cool. Using GPIO triggering instead of the keyboard should be straightforward.

Thanks for the tips. I just got past my first hurdle. Don't fry the pi as arduino GPIO is 5v and pi is 3.3v. So I'm bench testing nowhere near flash gordon or your adapter.

This is the level shifter I'm using to keep the pi safe. Can't believe the dirt merchants selling a $35 pi at awelful mark ups.

HiLetgo 5pcs 5V/3.3V 8 Channel Level Converter IO Bidirectional Mutual Convert for Raspberry PI https://a.co/d/c4N7YXe

Next I'll try and get communication going.
20230525_104435 (resized).jpg20230525_104435 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 90.00
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 99.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 179.00
$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider digitaldocc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981?tu=digitaldocc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.