(Topic ID: 289066)

Flash Gordon 2021: Re-imagined code for Bally Flash Gordon (1981)

By bluebomber

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230525_104435 (resized).jpg
flashboard 2 (resized).jpeg
78189972de518cb69a4958d65038c294c57572aa (resized).jpg
Screen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_7.00.15_PM (resized).png
IMG_4094 (resized).jpg
IMG_4100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4102 (resized).JPG
IMG_4104 (resized).JPG
20210730_134028 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
aaca33030c8d53da080e15a6efc6b4b935144362 (resized).jpg
error (resized).png
sketch (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dickhamill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 3 years ago

This is an awesome implementation!
bluebomber created his own PCB for this (as seen in his video), but there are DIY instructions (circuit diagram & pics) here:
https://ballysternos.github.io
His implementation of the BSOS is slightly customized, so be sure to get the software (including the underlying library) from his repository:
https://github.com/tmurren/bsos-flash-gordon-2021

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

what are some examples of the newest games that can be changed?

Latest games would be Stern MPU-200 (1982) like
Catacomb
Orbiter 1

or Bally -35 (1984) like
Kings of Steel
Eight Ball Deluxe

This hardware will work with any -17, MPU-100, -35, or MPU-200 board, but those are examples of the newest. Flash Gordon & Meteor are the newest machines rewritten so far.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from AlanJ:Fantastic,
has anybody used an esp32s board yet - I fancy that because with wifi we can have endless possibilities - e.g. update a scorbit style server for game scores etc. Also ability to serve up diagnostics and even change settings vis a simple web page.

I built a prototype and wrote some monitoring/diagnostics for the ESP32-S2-SAOLA.
My experience wasn't great. Maybe I should have stayed with a more seasoned ESP32. At the time I was messing around, I had to side-load the support into the Arduino IDE and the board would sometimes get into a reboot loop that could only be fixed by holding the Boot0 and Reset button and reprogramming.

Probably my fault for poor board choice.
That said, I have code that uses ESP port definitions if anyone wants to blaze that path. There are a ton of advantages - almost endless code size, much more speed, WiFi (as you mentioned), and it could control all the bus lines instead of just the few I'm currently using.

Another fun thing I was messing with - I halted the 6800 while it was running, messed with the CRAM, and then rebooted the processor again. As you were saying, this could be used to change high-score, number of credits, etc. on the MPU running the original code, all via WiFi.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

I thought I saw in another thread (when I looked after my last post) something about up to system 11 games.

I haven't experimented with any William's boards yet. So far, this is just a Bally/Stern project.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from AlanJ:

I use the devkitV1 boards - have used literally 100's of them in lamps and clocks I have built and very good to use. Would be great if you have code already with the pinouts for it, please?

Send me a link to one you recommend and I'll put up some code for it.

6 months later
#199 2 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I’m running 1.1.0 with an Alltek CPU and the geetoh S&T board and have no sound. As soon as I switch back to the factory code, I have sound. This is with 2 different Alltek boards and with 2 different RoyGBev/Nano boards. Anyone have any thoughts?

tktlwyr - are you still having this issue?
geeteoh - bluebomber and I worked on this a good bit to get it working with the original S&T (based original guidance from you and Quench and the attached disassembly). Here's the process we settled on:
1) Turn off interrupts
2) Get the old solenoid control byte (from U11 Port B)
3) Write back (solenoid control byte) | 0x0F to turn off momentary solenoids & make sure CB2 is low (to select solenoid board)
4) Delay for 32 microseconds
5) Turn solenoid select line (CB2) high
6) Write lower nibble to U11 Port B (lines D0-D3)
7) Delay 138 microseconds
8) Write upper nibble to U11 Port B (lines D0-D3)
9) Delay 145 microseconds
10) Restore original solenoid control byte
11) Put CB2 back to low

@geetoh, do you recommend we try a longer delay in step 7 or step 9 maybe?
In the past when we've missed the high nibble timing, we still got some output. Not sure why there is none, unless we're accidentally always hitting dead space in the possible values. If your replacement board is reading after the original sound byte was restored, it would most of the time get 0xF?, right? Seems like something should happen.

Based on your "startsound" routine above, the big difference seems to be the delay at the end.

Screen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_7.00.15_PM (resized).pngScreen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_7.00.15_PM (resized).png
#202 2 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I'd recommend a longer delay at step 9. My board waits 32 microseconds before reading the first nibble. Then 280 microseconds to before reading the second nibble. Your step 9 is right on the edge and probably not long enough for my board.
I did more analysis last weekend on Alltek MPU boards. I need to verify against a stock bally MPU. They do have a consistent delay after the interrupt and before the first nibble settles. They do have a pretty consistent delay to the second nibble. But the hold time of the second nibble (step 9) is all over the map - even on one machine. My 280 microseconds is pushing the limit. I'll edit this post tonight and put in the hold time variation I saw.

Okay -- easy to try a longer delay. I can put it on a define to make it configurable as well.
If tktlwyr can reflash the Arduino easily enough, perhaps they can test for us.

#206 2 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I can test for you. I will be out of town for the weekend starting Friday, though.

tktlwyr , did you compile and load the code yourself, or did you buy a pre-burned kit? If you loaded it yourself, can you run an experiment?
In your BallySternOS.cpp, search for these lines:
// wait 76 microseconds
delayMicroseconds(145);

and change the 145 to 250, so it reads:
// wait 76 microseconds
delayMicroseconds(250);

Then, re-upload to your Arduino and give it a shot?
As you can tell from the comment above ("wait 76 microseconds") this value has been in flux already. Hopefully we can find a delay that works for everyone.

2 years later
#268 7 months ago
Quoted from polishedball:

Anyone running the newest code RPU on a rev3 board? I am seeing an odd issue where in attract mode it just randomly starts a game. Any thoughts?

That has been reported by a couple of other people as well.
I'm still trying to reproduce / diagnose the issue.
How long will it stay in attract before starting a game?
Do you notice any other behavior than the previous code? Flickering displays, etc.?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Houston, TX
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 99.00
$ 179.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Berkeley Springs, WV
7,995 (OBO)
$ 7.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dickhamill.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981?tu=dickhamill and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.