(Topic ID: 289066)

Flash Gordon 2021: Re-imagined code for Bally Flash Gordon (1981)

By bluebomber

6 months ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 206 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by DickHamill
  • Topic is favorited by 73 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_7.00.15_PM (resized).png
IMG_4094 (resized).jpg
IMG_4100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4102 (resized).JPG
IMG_4104 (resized).JPG
20210730_134028 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
aaca33030c8d53da080e15a6efc6b4b935144362 (resized).jpg
error (resized).png
sketch (resized).png
20210609_145328 (resized).jpg
20210609_054624 (resized).jpg
20210608_185935 (resized).jpg

There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.
#201 3 days ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I did more analysis last weekend on Alltek MPU boards. I need to verify against a stock bally MPU.

What clock speed is the CPU running on the Alltek when jumpered for Bally clock speed?
People have in the past had issues with S&T boards when they incorrectly jumpered their Allteks for Stern MPU200 CPU clock speeds.

#202 3 days ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I'd recommend a longer delay at step 9. My board waits 32 microseconds before reading the first nibble. Then 280 microseconds to before reading the second nibble. Your step 9 is right on the edge and probably not long enough for my board.
I did more analysis last weekend on Alltek MPU boards. I need to verify against a stock bally MPU. They do have a consistent delay after the interrupt and before the first nibble settles. They do have a pretty consistent delay to the second nibble. But the hold time of the second nibble (step 9) is all over the map - even on one machine. My 280 microseconds is pushing the limit. I'll edit this post tonight and put in the hold time variation I saw.

Okay -- easy to try a longer delay. I can put it on a define to make it configurable as well.
If tktlwyr can reflash the Arduino easily enough, perhaps they can test for us.

#203 3 days ago
Quoted from Quench:

What clock speed is the CPU running on the Alltek when jumpered for Bally clock speed?
People have in the past had issues with S&T boards when they incorrectly jumpered their Allteks for Stern MPU200 CPU clock speeds.

They were all (MMPM, FG, and Xenon) set to Bally clocks. I verified with pics I had on my phone just now.

#204 2 days ago

The MPU board cycle times I calculated were based on the same code DickHamill posted. Note Elektra uses the same code so timing should be the same.

Has anyone looked at the S&T code to see what wait times it's using?

#205 2 days ago
Quoted from DickHamill:

Okay -- easy to try a longer delay. I can put it on a define to make it configurable as well.
If tktlwyr can reflash the Arduino easily enough, perhaps they can test for us.

I can test for you. I will be out of town for the weekend starting Friday, though.

#206 2 days ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I can test for you. I will be out of town for the weekend starting Friday, though.

tktlwyr , did you compile and load the code yourself, or did you buy a pre-burned kit? If you loaded it yourself, can you run an experiment?
In your BallySternOS.cpp, search for these lines:
// wait 76 microseconds
delayMicroseconds(145);

and change the 145 to 250, so it reads:
// wait 76 microseconds
delayMicroseconds(250);

Then, re-upload to your Arduino and give it a shot?
As you can tell from the comment above ("wait 76 microseconds") this value has been in flux already. Hopefully we can find a delay that works for everyone.

There are 206 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside