(Topic ID: 289066)

Flash Gordon 2021: Re-imagined code for Bally Flash Gordon (1981)

By bluebomber

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20230525_104435 (resized).jpg
flashboard 2 (resized).jpeg
78189972de518cb69a4958d65038c294c57572aa (resized).jpg
Screen_Shot_2021-04-23_at_7.00.15_PM (resized).png
IMG_4094 (resized).jpg
IMG_4100 (resized).JPG
IMG_4102 (resized).JPG
IMG_4104 (resized).JPG
20210730_134028 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-2 (resized).jpg
Flash-Gordon-2021-Rule-Card-1 (resized).jpg
aaca33030c8d53da080e15a6efc6b4b935144362 (resized).jpg
error (resized).png
sketch (resized).png

There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 2 years ago
Quoted from Lostcause:

I just fitted a missing knocker/wiring in my Gottlieb and thought I accomplished something

I have a friend with a beat Silverball I'm trying to coax from his grasp.

#102 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I don't think I have experienced this. Maybe your switch needs adjusted? Here is a video of what happens on my machine: https://i.imgur.com/E6941HB.mp4.

My saucer works fine, I meant the outhole drain kicker. The ball is kicked to the shooter lane, then after a delay, it tries to server the ball again. Always does it the two times. In the regular code, I don't have that issue.

#103 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I don't think I have experienced this. Maybe your switch needs adjusted? Here is a video of what happens on my machine: https://i.imgur.com/E6941HB.mp4.

You'll also hear some S&T sounds in the video. The S&T is working and I have some of the sounds in, but it's still buggy so I'm hesitant to upload. You are right that it seems strange playing pinball with no sounds. When the bonus countdown doesn't play it seems like the machine broke or something.

Yes. There are two extra balls the player can earn, and they can each only be collected once per player per game. The Wood Beast EB must be lit and collected first, and then the saucer EB can be lit and collected.

16 drop target must be dropped/collected to light wizard mode. Spot targets don't count towards lighting. Wizard mode is lit in the outlanes, and you must drain through the outlanes to play the wizard mode. Drains down the middle don't count and will just advance you to your next ball (just like specials in the OG code). When the wizard mode starts, it is still considered part of the ball that you drained to start it. This ball ends when you lose the mode by draining, or win the mode by defeating Ming (unless you collected an extra ball). The flippers and solenoids are purposefully killed when you defeat Ming, and a lamp animation is played as the saucer kicks the ball out to the drain to start the next ball. It didn't make sense to let players keep farming pops and spins in the wizard mode after defeating Ming. It's more of a final boss fight.

Is there not a way to stay on the same ball but reset the game scoring (or at least the wizard mode progress) to start the voyage again?

#104 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I meant the outhole drain kicker

My bad, here's a video of the outhole while I'm processing a game: https://imgur.com/a/GG6hvEw.

Let me know if you can upload a video. I would be interested to see what is happening on your end.

#105 2 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

Is there not a way to stay on the same ball but reset the game scoring (or at least the wizard mode progress) to start the voyage again?

If you mean continuing the ball that you started wizard mode with after you win and/or lose wizard mode, then yes, that would be a fairly simple modification to the code. I built it with the intent of it being a "second chance" to play a mode and get more points as a reward for lighting the special. It's also intended to be bait, and add some risk vs reward.

You could try to backflip it into the outlane, take a shot that would normally be risky of an outlane drain, or you could play out your ball to maximize points and see if you collect the wizard mode or not. Getting 16 drops, pushing my luck, and draining down the middle is a roller coaster for me sometimes. Picking up the outlane special is even better! I really didn't want the wizard mode to feel like an extra ball, I wanted it to feel like an after credit scene in a movie.

#106 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

My saucer works fine, I meant the outhole drain kicker. The ball is kicked to the shooter lane, then after a delay, it tries to server the ball again. Always does it the two times. In the regular code, I don't have that issue.

I was playing my version of the code tonight, and I finally experienced the bug you are talking about. It was only happening during the wizard mode. I just uploaded an update to GitHub that fixes this issue. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

#107 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

If you mean continuing the ball that you started wizard mode with after you win and/or lose wizard mode, then yes, that would be a fairly simple modification to the code. I built it with the intent of it being a "second chance" to play a mode and get more points as a reward for lighting the special. It's also intended to be bait, and add some risk vs reward.
You could try to backflip it into the outlane, take a shot that would normally be risky of an outlane drain, or you could play out your ball to maximize points and see if you collect the wizard mode or not. Getting 16 drops, pushing my luck, and draining down the middle is a roller coaster for me sometimes. Picking up the outlane special is even better! I really didn't want the wizard mode to feel like an extra ball, I wanted it to feel like an after credit scene in a movie.

Maybe my question wasn't clear. I meant how best to program the game return to normal play after the wizard mode's been beaten. So that wizard mode would be a fun reward that nonetheless can't be exploited but also doesn't end a ball or otherwise tank a great game.

1 week later
#108 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Interesting. I created a modern/retro version of Flash Gordon a few years back for the virtual pinball community. Does makes the game so much better with all the movie music, quotes and fx. A completely different experience. But if you get tired of all the modern rubbish, just hold up both flippers and all the original game comes back.
Maybe this will give you some ideas for your remaster.

Brilliant! Love the idea of being able to switch between classic sounds and new sounds mid-game by simply holding both flippers! @DickHamill, does the Arduino have enough room to have both old and new codesets so that you never need to boot into the original codeset from the MPU? Making it software selectable (however you do it) seems a better option than a switch inside the coin door, no?

Quoted from bluebomber:

The main limitation with starting a multiball would be that this is a single ball game. You would need to redo the whole trough, and wire things up differently, which would keep you from dual booting the original code.

You could use a trough from a Fathom, probably. Or something like this: https://www.pinballlife.com/ball-trough-assembly-4-ball.html And the original code could be modified only to kick out the next ball on single ball play, making it seem like it was using original rules to anyone who didn't look under the playfield, right? And if the original code was running off the Arduino vs. the MPU, this would be even easier to implement, presumably. Or is the issue the fact that the original code only exists on the original board, and not in the BSOS environment (which would presumably also make the in-game version switching not possible)?

Quoted from tktlwyr:

You may want to slow the timing down on the Wood Beast reset, if possible.
[quoted image]

Does TNA use any special mechanism to lock successive balls like this for multiball? Or is it just the momentum of the ball hit (and the timing of the drop target reset)? It would be super cool if you could do a 3-ball multiball this way, a la TNA (assuming you modified the hardware to support). I guess you'd have to add optos to sense the ball lock so the game would know to kick out another ball to the shooter lane. In which case, @SLAMT1LT's 2-ball multiball implementation would be easier, since just the rear target hit would trigger the pop up target to reset and then kick out another ball. You could do a 2nd ball lock in the saucer that only worked once the the right ball was locked. A 3-ball multiball would be pretty crazy, having it score multiply like Fathom. Doing it this way, you could use the PBL trough, remove the extra switches, and retain the original wiring for the original code to still work, since the game running the new code wouldn't need to know whether there was more than one ball in the trough.

#109 2 years ago

I have a maybe dumb question. I wanted to leave my PC connected while running the code and observe the debug messages on the serial monitor. I cannot get the game to boot when I leave the computer connected. Am I missing something?

#110 2 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

I have a maybe dumb question. I wanted to leave my PC connected while running the code and observe the debug messages on the serial monitor. I cannot get the game to boot when I leave the computer connected. Am I missing something?

At the top of the FG2021.ino file, you will see this line "#define DEBUG_MESSAGES 0 // 1 is on." Set the 0 to a 1, and you will get debug information in the serial monitor while connected to a computer over USB.

#111 2 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Or is the issue the fact that the original code only exists on the original board, and not in the BSOS environment (which would presumably also make the in-game version switching not possible)?

There isn't much room on the Nano, so I wouldn't be able to add both game codes onto it to swap between game types. Trying to squeeze what I have on their currently was a challenge. Right now, the switch either boots the MPU to the original code, or it is overridden for the Arduino to control things.

I agree that a multiball would be fun, and I think a two ball would be best. It is a possibility with hardware changes, but I think the reason FG doesn't have a multiball originally is for the same reason the inline drop targets don't reset. They don't want a ball to get trapped or break a plastic. I'm already considering changing the inline drop target reset to being on next switch hit after the wood beast target, instead of a certain amount of time after the wood beast target was hit (similar to how playfield validation is set up).

That being said, there are open slots in the switch matrix, the lamp board, the aux lamp board, and the SDB. So there are lots of opportunities to expand on the game. Also, geeteoh has a Squawk & Talk replacement that gives you control of extra relays and stuff. I like the idea of keeping the machine stock as far as hardware goes, but there is no reason that multiple variants of the code couldn't exist for people to play around with. I was tempted to make the two bottom pop bumpers lamps controllable like the top pop bumper is. That way I could really illustrate to the player that the pop bumpers were meant to be hit to build up attack power in the wizard mode.

Bonus tidbits about how the machine's hardware was built vs. how the game was coded: The four lamps behind Ming's face plastic on the playfield can be controlled in groups of two, but the original code only used them as one large group. The star rollovers in the shooter lane all register as one switch instead of three individual ones, so I had to code the skill shot by number of switch hits registered instead of highest switch hit. There are sounds playable from the Squawk and Talk's ROM that were never used in the original game.

#112 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

There isn't much room on the Nano, so I wouldn't be able to add both game codes onto it to swap between game types. Trying to squeeze what I have on their currently was a challenge. Right now, the switch either boots the MPU to the original code, or it is overridden for the Arduino to control things.
I agree that a multiball would be fun, and I think a two ball would be best. It is a possibility with hardware changes, but I think the reason FG doesn't have a multiball originally is for the same reason the inline drop targets don't reset. They don't want a ball to get trapped or break a plastic. I'm already considering changing the inline drop target reset to being on next switch hit after the wood beast target, instead of a certain amount of time after the wood beast target was hit (similar to how playfield validation is set up).
That being said, there are open slots in the switch matrix, the lamp board, the aux lamp board, and the SDB. So there are lots of opportunities to expand on the game. Also, geeteoh has a Squawk & Talk replacement that gives you control of extra relays and stuff. I like the idea of keeping the machine stock as far as hardware goes, but there is no reason that multiple variants of the code couldn't exist for people to play around with. I was tempted to make the two bottom pop bumpers lamps controllable like the top pop bumper is. That way I could really illustrate to the player that the pop bumpers were meant to be hit to build up attack power in the wizard mode.
Bonus tidbits about how the machine's hardware was built vs. how the game was coded: The four lamps behind Ming's face plastic on the playfield can be controlled in groups of two, but the original code only used them as one large group. The star rollovers in the shooter lane all register as one switch instead of three individual ones, so I had to code the skill shot by number of switch hits registered instead of highest switch hit. There are sounds playable from the Squawk and Talk's ROM that were never used in the original game.

Interesting! I have the NB2 board from Pinball-Technologies that I was going to use in the game to add movie callouts and background music. This thread may have changed my course a bit. Just gotta find the time to fool around with it.

#113 2 years ago

Have you looked at the Arduino Nano Every is pin compatible with the Nano. I understand it has a faster processor and more memory space and may allow both original and FG2 code exist in the same memory space.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#114 2 years ago
Quoted from SeaLawyer:

Interesting! I have the NB2 board from Pinball-Technologies that I was going to use in the game to add movie callouts and background music. This thread may have changed my course a bit. Just gotta find the time to fool around with it.

Cool! If you do, please let us know in this thread. I would like to see what you do with it!

#115 2 years ago
Quoted from flyhigh:

Have you looked at the Arduino Nano Every is pin compatible with the Nano. I understand it has a faster processor and more memory space and may allow both original and FG2 code exist in the same memory space.[quoted image]

I think one of the reasons the Nano was selected was because of the ATmega328P chip. The OS is written specifically for the microcontroller being used. I think heard someone edited it for the Uno. A couple boards with larger space have been tested, or are being tested, but I don't know if the Every is one of them.

2 weeks later
#116 2 years ago

Any updates?

#117 2 years ago

Not too much to report at the moment unfortunately. Dick and I worked through getting the Squawk & Talk board added to the operating system, but right after we got it working I started having what seems to be unrelated hardware issues with my S&T board. I have some parts in for the board, but I need to troubleshoot. I had the S&T sounds about 90% implemented before I ran into the issue, but I will still need to add some functionality to how the sounds are called and timed. I was pretty bummed, so I've been distracting myself with a Spanish Eyes project and doing vaccinated things like location pinball I think Dick has a S&T machine that he will be working on soon, so there should be some information surrounding that.

The other side of sound for this project would be related to the WAV Trigger board. I'm pretty much out of code space on the Nano, but there is talk of adding a microcontroller to the operating system that has more program space. If that happens, I can look into adding custom sounds with the WAV Trigger, get more creative with some of the lamp animations, and add adjustable game settings so people can adjust the difficulty to their taste.

#118 2 years ago

I have purchased the adapter board and have to pickup a Nano, my FG will be ready in another week or two! Almost there.

a9edd44f403a7b37fea78880 (resized).jpga9edd44f403a7b37fea78880 (resized).jpg
#119 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I have purchased the adapter board and have to pickup a Nano, my FG will be ready in another week or two! Almost there.

I've been following your thread. It's really looking great!

#120 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I've been following your thread. It's really looking great!

It's up and flipping! Another week I think and I'll be ready to tinker. Need to order a nano this week.

20210531_163354 (resized).jpg20210531_163354 (resized).jpg
#121 2 years ago

I had uploaded Squawk & Talk test footage to YouTube to share with Dick back in April. I just made it public today for him to use in his documentation, and thought I should share here:

#122 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I had uploaded Squawk & Talk test footage to YouTube to share with Dick back in April. I just made it public today for him to use in his documentation, and thought I should share here:

Nice! I am working on Elektra and the Squawk & Talk will help with that project!

#123 2 years ago

Ordered a 3 pack of nanos this morning from Amazon, I best get that adapter board assembled this week.

#124 2 years ago

Nano in tomorrow!

20210607_204012 (resized).jpg20210607_204012 (resized).jpg
#125 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nano in tomorrow!
[quoted image]

If you are putting on an Alltek try to get a Nano with the old boot loader. Those seem to work well on all the MPU boards. Nano modules with the new boot loader don’t seem to run correctly on the Alltek.

#126 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

If you are putting on an Alltek try to get a Nano with the old boot loader. Those seem to work well on all the MPU boards. Nano modules with the new boot loader don’t seem to run correctly on the Alltek.

I’ve run FG2021 on Nano’s with both old and new bootloaders on an Alltek MPU, and they have worked fine. For OG MPUs or others, YMMV.

#127 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

I’ve run FG2021 on Nano’s with both old and new bootloaders on an Alltek MPU, and they have worked fine. For OG MPUs or others, YMMV.

Then you've been lucky or there are some flaky Nano modules around. The old boot loader ones seem to run fine on all the boards I tested Bally -35, MPU-200, and Alltek. The few Nano modules with new bootloader would act erratic on the Alltek but ok on the Bally-35 and MPU-200. It is reproducible. Just a heads up that if someone does have that combination and it acts erratic to try a Nano with the old boot loader instead. I'm not the only one that has come across this.

#128 2 years ago

I'm getting no where with programming. I get as far as compiling sketch.. and nothing.

Going to try a different computer and see if that works- The computer sees the nano and in sketch I can load "blink" and the led on the board will blink once when I hit program. It should keep blinking but doesn't.

#129 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I'm getting no where with programming. I get as far as compiling sketch.. and nothing.
Going to try a different computer and see if that works- The computer sees the nano and in sketch I can load "blink" and the led on the board will blink once when I hit program. It should keep blinking but doesn't.

Does it say upload failed? Before you programmed it (with the Nano connected) did you select the proper COM port that the Nano is on? Do you have the Nano board type selected, also had you tried the regular as well as the (Old Bootloader) options?

#130 2 years ago

Does it say upload failed? Before you programmed it (with the Nano connected) did you select the proper COM port that the Nano is on? Do you have the Nano board type selected, also had you tried the regular as well as the (Old Bootloader) options?

1) no.

2) yes to all.

I'm heading out to try shop computer, this version of java might not be compatible with unit. Stay tuned..

#131 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Nano in tomorrow!
[quoted image]

what is that board?

#132 2 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

what is that board?

See attached.

Ok now I'm getting somewhere. Running "blink" example program, old bootloader on com 3.

20210608_180039 (resized).jpg20210608_180039 (resized).jpg
#133 2 years ago

Ok, I have uploaded the FG2021.ino. going to attach this to the board and head out to the garage.

#134 2 years ago

And.... got nothing.

No boot with wire connected or disconnected. When unit is unplugged from MPU boots up normal. I'm going to go over solder joints and see if I missed anything.

Pin one was aligned correct.

20210608_182635 (resized).jpg20210608_182635 (resized).jpg
#135 2 years ago

Am I missing something? My first time working with Nano so could be entirely my fault.

Unit seems fine, programmed again.

20210608_183256 (resized).jpg20210608_183256 (resized).jpg

#136 2 years ago

Ok, some progress but still not right. Boots up now and clearly running new code. Flash unit almost running continuously in attract mode. Attract mode the backglass lights are working, stop when start button is pressed as does the strobe.

Removing IRQ wire, machine fails to boot back to stock again.

Removing module returns unit to normal.

Edit: Just read the notes again, no sound implemented yet! I thought this just referred to wave file function, my apologies.

#137 2 years ago

Code is clearly running as I can get to wizard mode, no strobe or backglass animation function after pressing start button though.

20210608_185935 (resized).jpg20210608_185935 (resized).jpg

#138 2 years ago

Downloaded the newest code (June date) and this is the warning message when I hit compile and verify. Computer in workshop running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.

Programmed the Nano unit and plugged it in. Strobe and backglass function is normal but with one wizard attack the ball landed in the saucer and did nothing. I had to remove the ball and drain it before the machine would respond. Taking the ball out of the saucer did nothing. During normal gameplay the saucer worked fine.

Related to the compiling message above I think.

20210609_054624 (resized).jpg20210609_054624 (resized).jpg

#139 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Downloaded the newest code (June date) and this is the warning message when I hit compile and verify. Computer in workshop running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.
Programmed the Nano unit and plugged it in. Strobe and backglass function is normal but with one wizard attack the ball landed in the saucer and did nothing. I had to remove the ball and drain it before the machine would respond. Taking the ball out of the saucer did nothing. During normal gameplay the saucer worked fine.
Related to the compiling message above I think.

My most recent code update on GitHub is dated April 18, so there shouldn't be anything from June. I just downloaded from GitHub to test, and it compiles fine. Make sure that you are using the most recent version of the game code: https://github.com/tmurren/bsos-flash-gordon-2021

#140 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

My most recent code update on GitHub is dated April 18, so there shouldn't be anything from June. I just downloaded from GitHub to test, and it compiles fine. Make sure that you are using the most recent version of the game code: https://github.com/tmurren/bsos-flash-gordon-2021

Just downloaded it this morning and compiled, screenshot this morning is from that build.

Dates from the files are from Windows, I must have downloaded the first one in April.

Any thoughts on the warning messages?

#141 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Just downloaded it this morning and compiled, screenshot this morning is from that build.
Dates from the files are from Windows, I must have downloaded the first one in April.
Any thoughts on the warning messages?

Could have something to do with your error message about https://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json failing to download?

#142 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Could have something to do with your error message about https://downloads.arduino.cc/packages/package_index.json failing to download?

Curious, I'll try with internet connected computer tonight, my shop computer is not.

Question, and I'm curious as I have never worked with a Nano device before. Why would it compile at all if the software was missing a component?

#143 2 years ago
Quoted from bluebomber:

Nope: compiled on wife's windows 8 laptop and same errors in regards to wizard mode. No json error.

Using software version 1.8.15, should I be using something different?

20210609_145328 (resized).jpg20210609_145328 (resized).jpg
#144 2 years ago

Just downloaded 1.8.14, will let you know if that works.

#145 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Just downloaded 1.8.14, will let you know if that works.

Same failure messages related too wizard mode.

I'm following the instructions to the letter.

Is it possible the github file is corrupt?

Also tried the squawk and talk version, same error when compiling and verifying.

Tried 1.8.14 and 1.8.15. In both cases running off thumb drive as stand alone application under windows 7 pro or windows 8.1

Will try tomorrow at work using Win10pro.

#146 2 years ago

No dice under Windows 10.

I'm going to do an install rather than run from flash drive and see if that changes anything.

G:\nano\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main_june\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main\FG2021\FG2021.ino: In function 'int WizardMode(boolean)':
G:\nano\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main_june\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main\FG2021\FG2021.ino:2513:53: warning: return-statement with no value, in function returning 'int' [-fpermissive]
if (bonusFireworks<0 || bonusFireworks>9) return;
^~~~~~
G:\nano\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main_june\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main\FG2021\FG2021.ino:2487:68: warning: iteration 60 invokes undefined behavior [-Waggressive-loop-optimizations]
BSOS_SetLampState(AttractLampsMingAttack[lightcountdown].lightNumMingAttack, (dist<8), (dist==0/*||dist>5*/)?0:dist/3, (dist>5)?(100+AttractLampsMingAttack[lightcountdown].lightNumMingAttack):0);
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
G:\nano\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main_june\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main\FG2021\FG2021.ino:2485:51: note: within this loop
for (byte lightcountdown=0; lightcountdown<NUM_OF_ATTRACT_LAMPS_MING_ATTACK; lightcountdown++) {
G:\nano\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main_june\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main\FG2021\FG2021.ino: In function 'WizardMode':
G:\nano\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main_june\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main\FG2021\FG2021.ino:2487:68: warning: iteration 60 invokes undefined behavior [-Waggressive-loop-optimizations]
BSOS_SetLampState(AttractLampsMingAttack[lightcountdown].lightNumMingAttack, (dist<8), (dist==0/*||dist>5*/)?0:dist/3, (dist>5)?(100+AttractLampsMingAttack[lightcountdown].lightNumMingAttack):0);
^
G:\nano\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main_june\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main\FG2021\FG2021.ino:2485:51: note: within this loop
for (byte lightcountdown=0; lightcountdown<NUM_OF_ATTRACT_LAMPS_MING_ATTACK; lightcountdown++) {
^
Sketch uses 26324 bytes (81%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 1341 bytes (65%) of dynamic memory, leaving 707 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.

#147 2 years ago

I haven't tried to compile the Flash Gordon code yet but I have done the other versions and can try building it on my machine to see if it compiles ok.

#148 2 years ago

Are you running the correct boot loader for the Nano that you purchased?

#149 2 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Are you running the correct boot loader for the Nano that you purchased?

1) Yes

2) I'm not trying to even upload the code to the Nano at this point, I'm just trying to compile and verify.

Just downloaded and installed arduino-1.8.15-windows.exe under Windows 10 instead of running off thumbdrive, they exact same errors during compile and verify.

Can anyone who has successfully verified and compiled FG2021 please let me know what OS and version you are running please.

Process of what I'm doing this morning.

1) Downloaded and installed 1.8.15
2) Downloaded FG2021.zip for github, unzipped to FG2021 folder.
3) Launched "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino.exe"
4) File-> Open -> FG2021.INO
5) Sketch -> Verify/Compile
error (resized).pngerror (resized).pngsketch (resized).pngsketch (resized).png

#150 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

G:\nano\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main_june\bsos-flash-gordon-2021-main\FG2021\FG2021.ino:2513:53: warning: return-statement with no value, in function returning 'int' [-fpermissive]

The first warning is valid, but in reality the code never actually "returns" because the "if" test range is never true based on the "for" statement on the line before it:

In file FG2021.ino
2512: for (bonusFireworks=0; bonusFireworks<10; bonusFireworks++){
2513: if (bonusFireworks<0 || bonusFireworks>9) return;

Line 2513 should probably be removed.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 199.95
There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.