images.jpg
100_0652.jpg
flash 4 sale 007.jpg
flash 4 sale 005.jpg
flash 4 sale 006.jpg
flash 4 sale 001.jpg
flash 4 sale 003.jpg
flash 4 sale 004.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 11 years ago

I've got a Flash, and I know what you're talking about. Those style flippers really make drop catches difficult. The spring just isn't strong enough to return the flipper to position fast enough. Check out Vid's guide, I'm pretty sure an upgrade is possible:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If you're going to upgrade, and since you'd need new baseplates anyway, should just go to WPC-style flipper assemblies.
viperrwk

This ^

I plan on doing that, eventually (during my full overhaul). I love the way this game plays, I can't wait to find out how great it plays with snappy flippers...

#11 11 years ago

Couldn't you just use the existing coils? You could just get the coils you use for BSD, and use the rest of the mech on Flash. Just a thought.

#15 11 years ago

Definitely keep this thread updated, I'd like to see how you get them mounted up. Good luck!

10 months later
#21 10 years ago

Was it worth it?

#29 10 years ago

Cool, thanks for the info, everyone! I planned on converting my PinBot to wpc, and using those sys11 flippers in Flash. I figured that was a cost effective way to improve two games. Winter project!

1 year later
#33 8 years ago

Old post, but I'm doing this right now. Anyone that's done this on Flash, where'd you mount the upper flipper? I'm scratching my head trying to figure out where that could possibly fit..

Edit: Wow, nevemind, right in front of me. Viper had it there all along!

1 week later
#34 8 years ago

I've upgraded my flippers, but they're not as snappy as I'd like. I think I'll try messing with the return spring a bit, but it may just be that the 28v is just never going to be as snappy as the 50v I'm used to.

Are people able to continuously make the loop with the upper flipper? I get mine to just below the gate on a perfect shot. I'm at about 6* pitch, so maybe leveling it down a little would help, but I also don't want to make the game too "floaty".

#37 8 years ago

I think I'll go the flex route should it become necessary, I was able to mount it after checking Viper's post.

How about that upper loop? Has anyone dialed that in for repeated hits?

#39 8 years ago

That's really interesting, thanks for chiming in.

I was trying with the glass off after my upgrade, and I failed to get the ball past the lanes. I had a different flash that could sneak it past the gate on a perfect shot, so I think I'll need to dial this one in. Considering I've installed a brand new flipper, and am getting proper voltage, I think it must be my personal game's geometry. I think I'll start with lowering the pitch slightly.

If anyone else has any other direction, I'd love to hear it.

1 week later
#42 8 years ago

I have all flipper coils as SFL-19-400/30-750-DC. Is there a stronger coil that I could use for the upper flipper to see if that can get the ball past the gate on the loop? I wasn't able to find anything obvious..

#44 8 years ago

Thank you for the explanation. It looks like there aren't really any other options with exact gauges... can anyone tell me if this would be an acceptable replacement?

FL-21-375/28-400

Also, does anyone know where the original design failed? Why can't that shot be made consecutively? I haven't met anyone whose machine does (though my old flash could on occasion with a perfect shot and a fresh wax). Did they weaken the coil before it went into production or something?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
Tools
Pincoder Store

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-flipper-upgrade?tu=deaconblooze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.