(Topic ID: 261325)

Flash does not reset

By 10mileflash

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Williams Flash. Serial No 375985, Built 1979. Early system 6 cpu. Replaced large filter cap on backbox floor & minor switches etc. in the past. Working, smelled electronic burning & turned off. On switch on only GI and Sound. Nothing else. Have manuals and checked power supply voltages, cpu test points, Diodes D7/8, fuses, rectifiers, cpu test LEDs. All nominal except TP4 at 0 VDC and F2 (replaced). Scores, attract mode, flippers, solenoids do not work. Does not seem to reset. Have more detailed test results if required. Any suggestions?

#2 4 years ago

You want to move this to the solid state forum.

#3 4 years ago

It is not a solid state machine. I can move it there but I thought it fit better in EM forum. Additional thoughts. When I smelled the burn it was in Attract mode, not play mode. I think the odor came from overheated 3 watt resistors on the driver board. They show signs of overheating. But I don't think this was the primary problem of no reset. Jack

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from 10mileflash:

Williams Flash. Serial No 375985, Built 1979. Early system 6 cpu.

Quoted from 10mileflash:

It is not a solid state machine.

1979 Williams Flash is! a solid state machine.
See this image of the backbox
https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=871&picno=19182

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from 10mileflash:

It is not a solid state machine.

Must be a different Flash than the one you have linked and the one that I owned.

#6 4 years ago

If you can post a picture of your score motor and score reels from your Flash we can help you with your reset problem...

But since you can't and this is a Solid State machine, the standard procedure for repairing System 6 CPUs is to make sure you have good sockets for the CPU ROMS, 5101 and RAM, rebuild the 40 pin interconnect between the CPU and driver board and rebuild the actual power supply. If it still doesn't boot to the memory protect, then we can take it from there.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

If you can post a picture of your score motor and score reels from your Flash we can help you with your reset problem...
But since you can't and this is a Solid State machine, the standard procedure for repairing System 6 CPUs is to make sure you have good sockets for the CPU ROMS, 5101 and RAM, rebuild the 40 pin interconnect between the CPU and driver board and rebuild the actual power supply. If it still doesn't boot to the memory protect, then we can take it from there.

On top of all these excellent and honestly not-optional suggestions I also recommend you at least also repin both ends of 3J6 on the power supply board and 1J2 on the CPU board. There's only one wire for the 12v unregulated line that runs the blanking circuit and my Time Warp had a bad connection causing the game to not boot sometimes.

#8 4 years ago

You'll get better replies on one of the Solid State forums. This is Electro Mechanical.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

#9 4 years ago

Thanks to all the pinsiders. Great response even though I placed it in the wrong forum. I honestly thought it was EM but glad to know otherwise. I thought Solid State were only video games. Shows how little I know! I will redo the boards as suggested by several members and see what happens then. And I will post it in Solid State.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-does-not-reset and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.