• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Display (resized).png
IMG_4572 (resized).JPG
#1 1 year ago

Strange issue I've been chasing. Need some advice. The displays show bright and dim digits. See picture. Also, the ball won't kick out of the outhole to the shooter lane. The solenoid tries repeatedly, but doesn't have enough power to kick the ball all the way to the shooter lane. If I place the ball in the shooter lane and plunge, I can play normally until the ball drains, then the outhole solenoid keeps firing but can't kick the ball out. Meanwhile, the displays show these bright and dim digits.

I have repinned the display connectors at the MPU. I have reflowed the header pins and changed out the 40 pin interconnect. I have 36 volts at the power supply for the solenoids. Could it be U18? and/or what?

IMG_4572 (resized).JPGIMG_4572 (resized).JPG

#2 1 year ago

Did you swap the displays around or disconnect one at a time to see if one is dragging down the others? (Power off before connecting/disconnecting).

#3 1 year ago

Yes. Makes no difference. Even with all 4 players disconnected there is still bright, dim on the credit display.

#4 1 year ago

Can you put in a known good display(say from one of your other machines) and see if it does the same thing?

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Can you put in a known good display(say from Paragon) and see if it does the same thing?

Bally display into a williams?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Billc479:

Can you put in a known good display(say from Paragon) and see if it does the same thing?

Not a chance, the Bally is totally different. I do not have another Williams Master Display to try either.

FYI, I also changed IC10 PIA on the driver board. No change.

#7 1 year ago

Sorry all - brain fart on my end. Point was whether to see if a known good display would work. Gotta get my mind off Bally machines!

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Strange issue I've been chasing. Need some advice. The displays show bright and dim digits. See picture. Also, the ball won't kick out of the outhole to the shooter lane. The solenoid tries repeatedly, but doesn't have enough power to kick the ball all the way to the shooter lane. If I place the ball in the shooter lane and plunge, I can play normally until the ball drains, then the outhole solenoid keeps firing but can't kick the ball out. Meanwhile, the displays show these bright and dim digits.
I have repinned the display connectors at the MPU. I have reflowed the header pins and changed out the 40 pin interconnect. I have 36 volts at the power supply for the solenoids. Could it be U18? and/or what?
[quoted image]

Check Display Signals from IC 18 Pins 2,3,4,5
OK?

Suspect corrupt IC 6 decoder

Display (resized).pngDisplay (resized).png
#9 1 year ago

I replaced IC18 and IC6. No change.

#10 1 year ago

Replaced 6800 processor and no change. Help?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I replaced IC18 and IC6. No change.

Suspect faulty IC (s) on Master Display board

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Tools
Pincoder Store

950 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Woolwich Township, NJ
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-display-and-solenoid-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.