Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Stephan28
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

My flash has started blowing the solenoid fuse on startup. Turns out solenoid 1-8 are locked on. If I disconnect the cable 2p11 the fuse doesn't blow. The game boots up, all lamps flashing as the should and sound is working if I start a game.

I've measured the transistors and they seem to be ok. Although the PIA IC5 outputs 5vdc on all of Port A outputs. Port B which drives solenoid 9-16 seems to be ok and sound is working as it should.

I guess it's not uncommon for the PIA to die as I've already changed out the other PIA IC10 on the driver board.

Anything else than a broken PIA that could cause it to output +5vdc on all of Port A? Just thought I would check before I replace it.

#2 3 years ago

Any updates? Unfortunately, I’m not an expert so I can’t give you any real advice. I just don’t like to see you hanging like this.

I suspect you have a faulty component on the driver board from your description of the problem. However, that may just be the symptom of a root problem.

Hopefully someone with more expertise will chime in.

#3 3 years ago

I will replace IC5 and see what happens. I haven't replaced the 40 pin interconnect either and by reading it looks like that is very often the fault, I did however measure resistance over every pin and they all seem to have a solid connection.

#4 3 years ago

I replaced IC5 PIA and now everything is back up and running!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from zezami:

I replaced IC5 PIA and now everything is back up and running!

Excellent! Good work!

I recently got my first pin which happens to be a Flash machine that was in need of some work. It was blowing the F2 solenoid fuse. My left kicker was actuated all of the time and the free game knocker solenoid was fried with a wire disconnected from it. I replaced both solenoids and it stopped blowing the fuse but I was having other strange things occur while attempting to play the game.

Since I am new to this hobby I sent my boards out to have them repaired/upgraded. Currently awaiting them to be repaired and we’ll go from there.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Woolwich Township, NJ
2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-blowing-solenoid-fuse-on-startup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.