Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Pepz28ss
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Does anyone know what type/size of blocking dioed to use if you have to replace the original glass type. For installing a battery button. Lithium cell. It's been recommended but I'm not sure what to replace it with. Thanks....

#2 4 years ago

Williams flash pinball

#3 4 years ago

the battery charge blocking diode is 1n4148 the System Vcc block diode so the entire CPU board does not try and be powered by the batteries in 1n5817 (low voltage drop).
    Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#4 4 years ago

You might be thinking of Bally boards. You shouldn't need to add a blocking diode when converting AA batteries to button cell on Williams boards.

#5 4 years ago

Your right, it already has one. But it is a GLASS type diode and when they crack it allows voltage to flow back to the cell and they can explode.I rather not take that chance and just put a non GLASS type diode in the original one place. MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE VALUE OR NUMBER ,TYPE OF DIODE DO I USE AS IF MY ORIGINAL ONE IS BAD OR MISSING.. Williams system 4.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pepz28ss:

But it is a GLASS type diode and when they crack it allows voltage to flow back to the cell and they can explode.I rather not take that chance

This is the reason I don't like using a lithium button batteries for this application - just in case the original or even a better replacement diode fails.

An alternative backup method that works well is by installing 2 x 1.5 farad supercaps in parallel instead of a lithium battery. I think I got more than 2 months backup with this (on a system 6 game).

I think from memory the easiest way was to connect direct to one side of the blocking diode to allow the power to flow to the caps with a 100ohm resistor to regulate the current.

Also, if doing supercap conversion, best to have a Philips PCD5101 as they have the least current draw of all the 5101's.

#7 4 years ago

That's a new one to me but sounds good.. I done some more research this morning and found one of Todd's Tips referencing to use a 1n4004 or 1n4007 ,, the same type for flipper coils. That is the right size from looking at one. I will go with that. Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm new to pin side so thanks for the warm welcome...

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pepz28ss:

MY QUESTION IS WHAT IS THE VALUE OR NUMBER ,TYPE OF DIODE DO I USE AS IF MY ORIGINAL ONE IS BAD OR MISSING..

A 1N5817 diode is a much better choice than a 1N4004/4007. As barakandl mentioned the 1N5817 has a very low voltage drop which gives the 5101 RAM chip very close to battery voltage.

#9 4 years ago

Okay I will check this out.. Thanks

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pepz28ss:

That's a new one to me but sounds good.. I done some more research this morning and found one of Todd's Tips referencing to use a 1n4004 or 1n4007 ,, the same type for flipper coils. That is the right size from looking at one. I will go with that. Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm new to pin side so thanks for the warm welcome...

Why not just put nvram in it and not worry about batteries at all?

2 weeks later
    #11 4 years ago

Im not looking to go that route. Everything is done I just want to r&r the diode that's already there. That's it

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-battery-button- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.