Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Stephan28
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Following the other thread with the Flash Background sound issue, and thought I would start another. I am having the same problem (sounds work minus the background noise).

I have both 31 and 33 settings to "1".

What is the wiring connections on J3? Is wires connected to pins 2-5, 7? I have one that was not in place and was covered with heat shrink. I manually moved it to pin 6 and 7 and still getting no background sounds.

Board has new headers, sound rom, and caps on it.

Any advice?

#2 8 years ago

The toggle switch has to be in 'synthesized sounds' position.

I didn't see a color pinout for the sound J3.

#3 8 years ago

Got the switch set on synthesis sound. I have the manual, but didn't see the wiring connection to the sound board.

#4 8 years ago

Did some more looking. Check page 36. I believe if any of these lines are stuck LO it locks the sound.

As a test you can leave J3 disconnected and jumper the header pins to ground to generate the sounds.

#5 8 years ago

Green ROM background sound = 31
00= OFF
01= ON

Yellow ROM background sound = 33
00 = Off
01 = ON

#6 8 years ago

I just remembered something............................................

On my solenoid LED test board i remember noticing two solenoid pulses fire out of order with FLASH green software. I can't remember which two solenoids fire reverse off of the top of my head.... but if these two misfires are sound signals, you may have to move a wire around.

If I have time today, I will throw flash ROMs into a test setup scope out the sound board and its inputs.

#7 8 years ago

Just tested flash ROMs in my TimeWarp. All solenoids fired in the correct order, i must be crazy.... but!

Green ROMs. factory default audit 31 = 00. Set it to 01 and you get BG sound. No other options need changed.

#8 8 years ago

More info.... driver board q13 appears to set the background sound by the frequency it pulses.

4 years later
#9 3 years ago

Ha, after all this time, I came back to this problem today. It ended up being PIA IV. Everything was working except the output going to Q13.

Game play is so different with the background sound working.

7 months later
#10 3 years ago
Quoted from troxel:

Ha, after all this time, I came back to this problem today. It ended up being PIA IV. Everything was working except the output going to Q13.
Game play is so different with the background sound working.

Ok, so I have a similar issue. Just had all the boards to include the sound board gone over by
Chris Hibler. It’s late and I don’t want to bother him just yet but here is my situation.

I have the Green ROMS and I set function 31 to 01. However, the BG sound is intermittent. Some games start with it and sometimes it goes away while playing. Very odd.

I’m going to keep playing and see if I notice it turning off at any other particular time. I’ll update my findings but in the meantime, any insight would be greatly appreciated!

#11 3 years ago

Yeah, can’t find a rhyme or reason to why it works sometimes and sometimes not. It’s now “mostly” working.

#12 3 years ago

Update: Single Player, all works fine. Multiple player, as soon as the first ball drains the BG sounds go off for all players.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

2,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milan, IL
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Tools
Pincoder Store

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 130.00
Electronics
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Green Brook Township, NJ
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Allentown, PA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-background-sound?hl=stephan28 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.