(Topic ID: 202075)

Flame Polishing, what am I doing wrong?

By Djshakes

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pen torch (resized).jpg
    bernzomatic-torches-tanks-336626-64_1000 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigdaddy07.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

I've had good success flame polishing and my guess is that your torch is putting out too much heat. I use a crème brulee torch and its going to be a little more precision and less heat than that torch. Also, you have to go conservative. Slowly wave the flame over the ramp getting some of the cloudiness out and then let it get completely cool before trying again. Little by little. The main problems I've had is bubbles. That's what you get when you hold the flame over the ramp too long. The plastic starts to boil.

#7 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Can you use a heat gun to do this too?

When I first tried this I used a heat gun and always warped the ramps. The heat gun does not put out heat in a precision enough fashion to work IMO. You need to heat up the cloudy section the ball moves on without heating up the sides as well or it will warp.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Interesting, good to know. Maybe you could make some cardboard sleeves to block the sides. Next time I have an old ramp, I'm going to experiment some...

You could run into an issue with the cardboard getting fused to the ramp anywhere the ramp gets hot. This is also one of the reasons the ramps need to be squeaky clean before you start, since any dirt on them will become part of the ramp once you add heat. Once you get this down it works great. Heck I've even went lightly over ramps while they were still in the game just to return that new look. You just have to remember that less is more and patience is key.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bigdaddy07.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-polishing-what-am-i-doing-wrong?tu=bigdaddy07 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.