Flame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpg
Demo_Man_Ramps-1.JPG
Demo_Man_Ramps.JPG
Dirty_WCS_Ramp_s.JPG
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

I'm Not Sure if Everyone went into my WCS Thread , but I had Shanetastic hold the Camera while I Flame Polished the Biggest Ramp on the P/F .. I took off All the Switches and Cleaned the ramp w/ Novus 2 , Wiped Clean and Proceeded with my Propane Torch .. Avoid the decal's and Flame away.
The Effect is like a Window defrosting !! Never leave the Flame in 1 spot Ever . If the 1st Run doesn't get-er Done , I Novus , wipe Clean and Throw the Heat once More .. I Love this Process .

If I could do the video Over , I Would have had the Song that Played before the 1 that is Heard by Stone Temple Pilot's ,, ( Hey ,, Where did Mary go , (( Wet my Bed ))
You can 4-Get about gett-n the Yellow out of the Plastic ,, It's there to Stay ,,
The Lower end of the Big Ramp , I cleaned and Flamed it while Still on the p/f , I did have all the Screw's out so i could get under it .. I have had alot of Pins where the Owner would Clean the Easiest Part of the ramp's .

Here's the Video !!

Dirty_WCS_Ramp_s.JPGDirty_WCS_Ramp_s.JPG

Dirty_WCS_Ramp_s.JPGDirty_WCS_Ramp_s.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Looks too easy! I'll give it a try when I get around to shopping my Cyclone. Thanks B_R.

#3 11 years ago

When I 1st started Experimenting with Flame , I did the Horse-shoe ramp on Road Kings , The sides on that Ramp wanted to Fold in .. I immediately Tilted it back and threw the Flame for a Fast Long Burst . The Plastic layed back and I held it -n- Place with the Tank .. There was Something Weird about that Plastic that I haven't run into again .. The DM ramp's came out Crystal Clear ..

Demo_Man_Ramps.JPGDemo_Man_Ramps.JPG Demo_Man_Ramps-1.JPGDemo_Man_Ramps-1.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Nice work! I think I may be a little too gunshy to try this on my pins

I have seen results that look stunning though! Congrats!

Chris

#5 11 years ago

Great video!! I saw STP almost two years ago at northerly island in Chicago standing room only venue, they are without a doubt one of the best shows I've ever been to!!

#6 11 years ago

Cool vid BR. Good work

Dave.

#7 11 years ago

I can see how that can get addictive!

#8 11 years ago

i had to vote on the third option.. lol since your videos rock!

as for the flame crappin the ramps.. the video is very helpfull and i will try it some day

#9 11 years ago

That is freaking bannannas!

#10 11 years ago

You make it look too easy BR and thanks for sharing.

#11 11 years ago

B_R makes it look so easy, that I'm going to head down, take apart all my pins, and turn my ramps into globs of melted plastic!

Thanks for the vid, B_R..

#12 11 years ago

very nice B_R i can tell it's not your first time came out like new.

now all i need is a pin with clear ramp so i can melt it

#13 11 years ago

I am partial to Hank's methods.

#14 11 years ago

Awesome footage b_r, thanx

#15 11 years ago

No where to run too no where to hide, sing the song of people inside.

Core is one of the best albums of the 90's... Hands DOWN.

Crackerman is a good as where the river goes of the songs that got no radio love.

#16 11 years ago

Looks good, BR. Makes me think of the first time I put some warped plastics in the oven to flatten them out. Made me a little nervous, but it worked like a champ. I will definitely give this a whirl the next time I do a full shop out on a game with plastic ramps. It always helps to see how it's done, before trying it yourself.

#17 11 years ago

Right on, glad you got these posted separately!

Just remember people, if you are gunshy go real slow. Start one on end and go to the other if you feel it is getting too hot.

p.s - if you don't mess it up too bad you can use like a 2000 grit sandpaper to smooth it out and re-poplish

#18 11 years ago

Anybody know (or has tried) if this technique could fix the notorious bubbling on the entrance to the SS Boney Beast ramp?

#19 11 years ago

Great video B_R, but man that ending was SCARY!

#20 11 years ago

I was so inspired I ran out and bought one of these during Amazon's Cyber-Monday sale -

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VML7KO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

$37.00

#21 11 years ago

I keep meaning to try flame polishing but just have not done it. Until watching this video that is. I had an old brass torch much like the one in the video. It was my father's and quite old. I turned it on and lit it a couple of times in the past with no problems. I practiced on a junk ramp and it went well. Very well. I cleaned and polished my JP ramp then went to the garage to flame polish it. I lit the torch and in two seconds it burst into a fire ball. I set the ramp down and quickly rolled the torch to the center of the garage. It lay there with a 1 1/2 foot ball of fire around it for 20 min. Tank and all was engulfed. Nothing was hurt or burnt. Not even the ramp. Scared the crap out of me for a second though. I'll be going to Lowe's today for a new one. Anyone want to buy a torch?lol

#22 11 years ago

Wow! close call there....that could have been REALLY bad.

#23 11 years ago

Wow Nice BR...have to give a try on a couple of old broken ones before the real thing..

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

I keep meaning to try flame polishing but just have not done it. Until watching this video that is. I had an old brass torch much like the one in the video. It was my father's and quite old. I turned it on and lit it a couple of times in the past with no problems. I practiced on a junk ramp and it went well. Very well. I cleaned and polished my JP ramp then went to the garage to flame polish it. I lit the torch and in two seconds it burst into a fire ball. I set the ramp down and quickly rolled the torch to the center of the garage. It lay there with a 1 1/2 foot ball of fire around it for 20 min. Tank and all was engulfed. Nothing was hurt or burnt. Not even the ramp. Scared the crap out of me for a second though. I'll be going to Lowe's today for a new one. Anyone want to buy a torch?lol

Lol, I'm in the market, but I think I'll pass on that one!

#25 11 years ago

I'm going to have to give this a try on my DM.

Thanks for the video. Looks like the important thing is to keep the torch moving.

Quoted from Astropin:

I was so inspired I ran out and bought one of these during Amazon's Cyber-Monday sale -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VML7KO/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00
$37.00

I was thinking about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Blazer-GB4001-02-Stingray-Butane-Torch/dp/B002PEVGPC/ref=pd_sbs_indust_1

#26 11 years ago

Sing that song B#tch
Freaking hillarious

#27 11 years ago

Went to lowes today and picked up a new torch. I'm back at it. JP ramps look great. I have a question though. Can I polish a terd? How bad can the ramp be and still be brought back to life. If I flame polish it 100 times does it keep getting better and better? Or do you get to a point where it just isn't effective anymore. Hope that make sense.

#28 11 years ago

AFAIK, you can't flame polish out ball trials if you have them down the middle of the ramp. So don't go too hard at it, or you'll have a nice ball of goo.

#29 11 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

AFAIK, you can't flame polish out ball trials if you have them down the middle of the ramp. So don't go too hard at it, or you'll have a nice ball of goo.

I can get ball Track out if it isn't Dug in like a Tick !! It's an Amazing Process ...

#30 11 years ago

Thanks BR, Any problem that you are aware of with flame polishing colored ramps? I was considering doing this to my red RBION ramps when I shop it in the next few weeks. Thanks.

#31 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I can get ball Track out if it isn't Dug in like a Tick !! It's an Amazing Process ...

I agree. I made some serious ball tracks disappear last night.

#32 11 years ago

Only opened the link to see what BR was using the torch on now .... =-)

Man they look sweet when done.

Hey BR any issues with the decals delaminating or plastic from the ramps weakening?

Overall very cool technique and makes them look very close to new when done.

thanks for sharin

#33 11 years ago

I've also made a vid a few months ago:

#34 11 years ago

Really amazing what a difference it makes. Nice job guys.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from Shoot_Again:

Only opened the link to see what BR was using the torch on now .... =-)
Man they look sweet when done.
Hey BR any issues with the decals delaminating or plastic from the ramps weakening?
Overall very cool technique and makes them look very close to new when done.
thanks for sharin

I Tend to Stay away from the decals unless that are stuck Fast .. Also i like a Propane Self-ignited Torch like I used .. Pull the Trigger when you want Flame .. Constant Flame can get you in Trouble if you don't be Careful .. I'll get More video's on this Thread as I shop Pin's ..

#36 11 years ago

i have heard of this method, but i have always been curious of what it was excatly..thanks for sharing.

#37 11 years ago

Those CoinTaker flashers must be flameproof!

4 months later
#38 11 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

Anybody know (or has tried) if this technique could fix the notorious bubbling on the entrance to the SS Boney Beast ramp?

Has anyone tried?? I would love to know...mine has that bubble...I don't want to have to buy a new ramp.
Please let me know!!!! If you could post before and after pics, It would be appreciated!

Kyle

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Has anyone tried?? I would love to know...mine has that bubble...I don't want to have to buy a new ramp.Please let me know!!!! If you could post before and after pics, It would be appreciated!
Kyle

If you are referring to bubbles in the plastic, flame polishing will not take them out. In fact, flame polishing may make them worse. Adding excessive heat to plastic does exactly that...causes bubbles. My process for flame polishing is here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-polishing-my-procedure

#40 11 years ago

I did this to my SS ramps and it worked out great. Makes them look new again. I did make one mistake at first. I tried using a heat gun, though it worked it was very unforgiving and I warped slightly the spider hole entrance so on the boney beast ramp, every so often a ball gets stuck there now (so I'm most likely going to replace it). Well after having the struggle there I picked up a creme brulee torch and that worked like a champ. You can get very precise with it. I recently did my STTNG ramps and it worked perfect.

BTW, I noticed a huge improvement in ball speed flowing across those ramps.

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from the_pin_family:

Went to lowes today and picked up a new torch. I'm back at it. JP ramps look great. I have a question though. Can I polish a terd? How bad can the ramp be and still be brought back to life. If I flame polish it 100 times does it keep getting better and better? Or do you get to a point where it just isn't effective anymore. Hope that make sense.

The main thing to avoid, besides overheating the plastic and causing it to bubble(bad!)/warp/droop/burst into flames is failure to remove all dirt from the surface of the ramp before flame polishing. They have to be squeaky-clean for best results.

You are using the flame to melt the very top surface of the plastic only, and this makes it smooth and clear when it re-hardens after a second or two. If there is any dirt or residue on the ramp surface it will melt permanently into the plastic.

Practice on a crap ramp helps a lot.

RM

#42 11 years ago

You can get a basic micro torch at Harbor Freight for $2.99 and you can one that is a little more full featured with it's own ignition and different tips for $8.99. Both are fueled with butane.

#43 11 years ago

here is a guess from a newbie but not new to the smaller torches some have listed here: the flame these smaller torches put out are very thin. I would think it would be much more difficult to get the same result as the larger torches for the simple fact that the flame will need to be in the area for a longer time. with that, more likely to overheat and wind up looking like the one in "hanks tips" than in the one BR has done so well. B R do you agree?

#44 11 years ago

I haven't used a small Torch so I can't say how it will work . The BernzOmatic TS4000 that i use throws the Heat out Fast and Evenly ( works like a Charm ) . Not All Ramp's are Flameable , keep that in mind ( especially Stern Ramp's )

#45 11 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

I haven't used a small Torch so I can't say how it will work . The BernzOmatic TS4000 that i use throws the Heat out Fast and Evenly ( works like a Charm ) . Not All Ramp's are Flameable , keep that in mind ( especially Stern Ramp's )

I've flame polished POTC and IM ramps without an issue. Why do you say Stern ramps can't be polished?

1 week later
#46 11 years ago
Quoted from mmuglia:

I've flame polished POTC and IM ramps without an issue. Why do you say Stern ramps can't be polished?

IM ramps are THIN,,, I tried w/ my torch and they wanted to Bow in ,, I Stopped Quickly !!

I'd like to see a pict- of yr Torch ...

2 months later
#47 10 years ago

Here's a video i shot 2-nite of me Flame Polishing the Double Boat ramp on FT .. I cleaned the ramp w/ Novus 2 , wiped clean w/ a cotton cloth , then I Threw the Flame to it .. I Novus'd it 1 more tyme after the ramp cooled down and added Flame again .. lOOks GoOd !!

Flame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpgFlame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpg Flame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpgFlame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpg Flame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpgFlame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpg Flame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpgFlame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpg Flame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpgFlame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpg Flame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpgFlame_Polishing_Fish_Tales_boat_ramp_0.jpg

#48 10 years ago

The boat ramp is Sold ...

#49 10 years ago

Geese if I had of know you would have made it that nice I def would have had you send it up here to Canada. Looks great!!!

#50 10 years ago

I don't Play around when it comes to Flame polishing .. My 2nd Rd took out All the Ball track's ..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 169.00
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Tacoma, WA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 8.50
Hardware
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Plantsville, CT
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Balt, MD
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

12,500 (OBO)
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-polishing-ramps-video-b_r and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.