(Topic ID: 281279)

Flame Polishing Question

By GPS

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

Hello Fellas
    Ok. I understand the process and how to do it, I think. But in the event that there are graphics attached to the bottom of the ramp for instance, I assume those have to come off prior to the polishing. Has anyone had any experience here? Assuming if the graphics are not avail, than there is no flame polishing. Thanks in advance

G

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from GPS:

Hello Fellas
    Ok. I understand the process and how to do it, I think. But in the event that there are graphics attached to the bottom of the ramp for instance, I assume those have to come off prior to the polishing. Has anyone had any experience here? Assuming if the graphics are not avail, than there is no flame polishing. Thanks in advance
    G

You really don’t need to remove decals if they are under the ramp, as most are. But if they are on top, and the ball rolls over them, Absolutely definitely 100% remove decals (I assume that’s what you mean by graphics?), as they will melt into the ramp when you try to polish.

Flame polishing needs to move quickly on the top, where the balls roll on, and not heat up the plastic very much at all. If it’s getting even -warm- you may be overdoing it. So the (underneath) decals will be fine.

I also flame polish my plastics sometimes - you should Practice on a junk piece of ramp or a
    Plastic to get the hang of it.

#3 3 years ago

What’s the best torch to use ?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

What’s the best torch to use ?

I use a small butane torch. Easy to hold onto and move around quickly. You want one with an adjustable flame dial (most do) but you want it to get pretty low. I bought a second torch as a backup and the flame is too high at the lowest setting; so I don't use that one.

#5 3 years ago

I’ve used an inexpensive little creme brule torch in the past. Tiny, light, worked well.

#6 3 years ago

Hank did an awesome tutorial on flame polishing.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Hank did an awesome tutorial on flame polishing.

OMG, I forgot about Hank. Is he still around?

#8 3 years ago

Thank you Rdoyle1978 for the guidance. Appreciated. I think GRUMPY may be forwarding me one to try out my skill set or rather develop it if I may. I have watched several videos on the topic and it looks straightforward but I am sure their is a technique. Don’t want to botch my ramps in the learning process. Thank you again

3 years later
    #9 5 months ago

Hank is pretty funny...I bet he's fun to hang out with. But for real now, is there a thread or video of someone flame polishing with great sucess? I've been searching the forum for a how to.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-polishing-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.