(Topic ID: 31869)

Flame polishing. It's not just for ramps anymore.

By the_pin_family

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by BLACK_ROSE
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

microwave.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    #1 11 years ago

I figured, if it works so well on ramps why not plastics? You must have a gentle touch but it works great. I was supprised I hadn't heard of anyone doing this before. Or I just missed it.

Before

image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 11 years ago

After 2 quick passes

image.jpgimage.jpg

#3 11 years ago

I flame polished the green Creature's window on my MB, and it worked like a charm for removing scratches in that. I suppose that green window falls somewhere between ramps and plastics, LOL.

Good job!

#4 11 years ago

Looks great. Only two quick passes? What part of the flame are you in? Is it a close pass, or is the plastic in the yellow or blue part of the flame? Always been afraid to do any of that.

#5 11 years ago

When will someone reply- "It looks like you melted some of the blue off the upper right area"

Someone else- "Its just a reflection"

Anyway.... Nice job! I will be trying this in the future

#6 11 years ago

Yea I flame the plastics when I shop out pins . The results are great but you have to be real carefully . The plastic is so thin you can warp them real quick .

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

When will someone reply- "It looks like you melted some of the blue off the upper right area"

They were old junk plastics. The missing paint and marks were there when I started. Thanks though.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Phatchit:

Yea I flame the plastics when I shop out pins . The results are great but you have to be real carefully . The plastic is so thin you can warp them real quick .

REAL QUICK. Like a quarter of the time of ramps. They get soft easy.

#9 11 years ago

Been doing this for years. In fact I mentioned it in my recent FS ad for my NGG. Flaming plastics yields incredible results and its very easy to do. Makes them look better than new. In fact, it flame polish nos plastics before I install them. You can flame polish wms bumper caps as well but you have to be VERY careful or you will melt it.

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from the_pin_family:

PEN said:

Quoted from the_pin_family:

They were old junk plastics. The missing paint and marks were there when I started. Thanks though.

Yep,

I was just making a wisecrack. Every time someone posts pictures it seams someone has to comment on an issue that is not there.... because of the glare from the light or camera flash.

#11 11 years ago

I've got to try this during my STTNG restore

#12 11 years ago

What you can you use for this?

A regular flame-torch?
    Like this?

http://napiakciok.com/images/_catalog/termekek/293-28098-gazforraszto-ceruza.jpg

#13 11 years ago

Go pick up a propane torch from Sears with an adjustable output nozzle. Be careful though if you don't know what you're doing. Start with junk plastics while learning.

#14 11 years ago

I think you're much better off putting them in the oven, on a cooking sheet, at low temperatures.

#15 11 years ago

Bernzomatic TS http://northlandmelfort.com/catalogue_home/?PRODUCT_DETAIL=2043 Propane probably burns less hot than the MAPP gas. IDK But get a torch that has an on/off button. It's better than panicking trying to screw down the nozzle.

#16 11 years ago

Hm, what is the good flame temperature?

#17 11 years ago

Not really sure why you want to flame plastics. You can get a mirror like shine just using some Novus without the risk to damaging the artwork. The point of flaming ramps is to remove ball trails and improve the clarity of the ramp.

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

Not really sure why you want to flame plastics. You can get a mirror like shine just using some Novus without the risk to damaging the artwork. The point of flaming ramps is to remove ball trails and improve the clarity of the ramp.

Obviously you can't get the same results using Novus as flame polishing or nobody would be doing it.

#19 11 years ago

Neither the oven nor Novus will get you anywhere near the same results. If you are too scared to do it then leave it to the professionals. These are the details that separate the decent games from the phenomenal games.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Obviously you can't get the same results using Novus as flame polishing or nobody would be doing it.

This is funny. I guess I have just been doing it wrong for years.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from exflexer:

This is funny. I guess I have just been doing it wrong for years.

Why is it funny? And who said that you were doing it wrong?

I said that you don't get the same results with Novus as you do with flame polishing. Pretty simple and obvious statement.

#22 11 years ago

I was just too lazy to use the oven and decided to just let my Gremlin hold the PF plastic in the microwave on high for a couple of minutes instead.

It didn't turn out too pretty...

microwave.jpgmicrowave.jpg
    The PF plastic did come out shinier though! (Albeit, a little slimy.)

#23 11 years ago

Yep, no comparison. The flame is far better. I can use a random orbital polisher and novus all day and some of the scratches won't come out. 30sec with the flame in your done. Besides, when playing pinball if your not getting tracks on the occasional plastic you not playing hard enough. Lol.

#24 11 years ago

Anyone know a good flame temp?

My little butane torch go anywhere from match flame to 2500 degree blue pinpoint.

#25 11 years ago

Google says a propane torch reaches about 2000 degrees. I keep mine about half way turned up. That doesn't help much but that's all I've got.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

nyone know a good flame temp?

Yea , HOTTTTTTTTTTTT !!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-polishing-its-not-just-for-ramps-anymore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.