(Topic ID: 31514)

Was There a Clear Best Pin Manufacturer of the 80's? (Updated with Poll)!

By quadzilla

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kypinguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Best Pin Maker of the 80's?”

• Williams 71 votes
      75%
    • Gottlieb 7 votes
      7%
    • Bally Manufacturing 13 votes
      14%
    • Stern (game company) 1 vote
      1%
    • Midway Games 0 votes
    • Data East 2 votes
      2%
    • Other 1 vote
      1%

(95 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

#1 11 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new here. Just asking if there is a general consensus on which manufacturer was considered the best pin maker in the 80's? Was there a company that clearly had products superior to the competetion or was it a fairly even "playfield" (no pun intended ))? Hopefully this will not start a flame war.

#2 11 years ago

Wow, I thought for sure that people would chime in almost instantly with their opinions. For the record, in my limited experience, I tend to favor the Williams machines of that era, but that's just me. I would love to hear if there was somebody a the top of the heap in terms of build quality, themes, etc.

#3 11 years ago

yes..

It would be gottlieb !

#4 11 years ago

Well Gerry, looking at your collection (in your profile), I can see there is a clear bias, but it may also be for a good reason. Anybody else want to chime in? Again, I'm talking about the 80's. Thanks!

#5 11 years ago

The 80's was such a trans-formative decade in the world of pinball, that I usually break the decade down into games made before System 11, and those made after it. I'm a huge fan of Bally games in the early 80s, but games made after 1983 they just lose their appeal. Trying to compare Whirlwind to Fathom is just unfair, even though they are both absolutely awesome games in their own right.

In my opinion, Williams owned the pinball market after High Speed, and had a darned strong showing for the rest of the decade with games like Black Knight.

Gottlieb had a few awesome games like Black Hole and Haunted House, but they never really recovered from the reputation that they earned from operators for being unreliable during the transition from EM to SS in the late 70s.

#6 11 years ago

kypinguy, thanks for the response. Early in your post, you mention before and after system 11. Is there are reason for this (was System 11 good, bad or ?)? Thanks!

#7 11 years ago
    Quoted from quadzilla:

(was System 11 good, bad or ?)

System 11 probably my favorite pin-era.

#8 11 years ago

SYS11 isa good platform for sure..

So is the Gott platform with the ground mods done...its a shame gott didnt do those from the get go....

I think the Gott's woulda got a better rap then...

#9 11 years ago

System 11 is absolutely awesome. It is the foundation for our modern games and gave excellent designers like Steve Ritchie and programmers like Larry DeMar enough horsepower to create fast, fun, comparatively deep games. High Speed in particular is a major milestone because it tries to tell a story (albeit a simple one). Without System 11 and High Speed, we could have lost pinball in the late 80s.

Combine that with the fact that by the mid-80s we had strong flippers, an evolution in ramps and excellent reliability and you had the catalyst for our modern pinball hobby. Many of us that are currently collectors (including myself) remember playing games like Big Guns as a kid and always wishing we could have one in our house. Now we usually have too many

#10 11 years ago

Yea owning my first 80's got. I am amazed at the .. Uhh.. Electrical...

#11 11 years ago

Current poll results shows Williams smoking the rest of the lot. Vote away!!!!

#12 11 years ago

Zaccaria ! (OK, that's may be not the best... still a very good one)
    Too bad they disappeared around 1987.

#13 11 years ago

I might be biased, but there's probably a reason why Wililams is usually the comparison for modern pins.. There's 32 pins out of the top 100 that are Williams.

#14 11 years ago

Ya Williams, not for there quality control though. I read where alot of people here and other forums complain about todays Sterns having issues out of the box new. Well Williams pins out of the box, most all machines needed tweeking, or adjusting of some sort. They also did not factory put on mylar. They just threw the sheet of mylar in the cabinet and it was owners responsibility to install it on the pf. Alot of OP's did not do this and this is why you see so many worn to wood PF's on High Speed. I know an old OP who operated only Williams pins and he told me this, as when he was out my house he mentioned oh the owner who bought this new did not put mylar on your pf. Also without internet back then, support for help was bad (we got it made today with sites like Pinside, where we are all here to help others with issues, etc). This guy I know said Williams had op's out to the facility in Illinois for repair classes. Thank goodness for the internet today, and Pinside and its knowledgable members! Other then those issues with Williams there System 11 pins were bullet proof. This old op still has a NIB High Speed in his garage and has never been opened.

#15 11 years ago

50's and 60's - Gottlieb
    70's - Bally
    80's and 90's - Williams
    00's - Duh
    10's - Duh in the lead but things could still change.

#16 11 years ago

IMO, the name "Williams" is synonymous with pinball.

#17 11 years ago

I'd split the 1980s into two halves for this kind of analysis: 1980-1984 and 1985-1989. The first half it would be a tossup: the good games were spread out amongst the major manufacturers; but the second half would be Williams in a rout.

#18 11 years ago

I think Stern really rocked the boat with games like Meteor and Flight 2000. But when Williams came on with Space Shuttle and High Speed, there was no looking back.

Once Williams took off the others were left in the dirt.

LTG : )

#19 11 years ago

I voted for Williams but I still want an early Bally for my collection. I also wouldn't mind an early Stern either

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

I voted for Williams but I still want an early Bally for my collection. I also wouldn't mind an early Stern either

All of my pins are 90s or newer , Bally / Williams or Sterns , but I do have one older Bally, a Captain Fantastic.

I just had to have one older Bally

#21 11 years ago

1 vote for "other".. wonder if that was for alvin G? Chicago coin?

#22 11 years ago

I do not think the voting pool reflects the gap between them but Williams first then Bally

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from 7Warpig7:

50's and 60's - Gottlieb
    70's - Bally
    80's and 90's - Williams
    00's - Duh
    10's - Duh in the lead but things could still change.

I'll have to disagree on the 70's since it was mostly EM. Here is my edit:

70-78: Gottlieb
    78-85: Bally
    85-Cactus Canyon: Williams

#24 11 years ago

Hey,

I think lumping the 80s all into one doesn't really work. You can't really compare Black Knight and Firepower to Whirlwind and Earthshaker. The games in the early 80s had more in common with EMs than they did with the late 80s games, and the late 80s games had more in common with DMDs than the early 80s games.

With that said, I'd say Williams had pretty strong games in that ten year span. After Space Shuttle came out, no one other than Williams released consistently good games across the board. Prior to that, I think it was anyone's market to blow open. Williams just happened to be the company that did.

Luke

#25 11 years ago

Williams was the best, hands down.

#26 11 years ago

I think the only non-williams game I would consider buying from the 80's is Elvira, and Bally may have already been merged by then. (not sure of those dates)

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

1 vote for "other".. wonder if that was for alvin G? Chicago coin?

Probably someone that owns an Af-Tor.

#28 11 years ago

After acquiring Bally/Midway, what was it that made Williams decide which name to release a pin under? I get the impression that the Bally name was reserved for the pins that were the best? It seems the Bally pins had higher proportion of excellent games than those sporting the Williams mark.

#29 11 years ago

IMO, toss up between Bally and Stern in early 80s (although Black Knight kicks butt) and Williams after High Speed and through System 11. Picking one would be Williams for sheer number of great games.

#30 11 years ago

I thought they just alternated each one on the line.

#31 11 years ago

early 80's both Williams and Bally had some pretty good titles. Not to mention Gottlieb's Haunted house. After '84 Bally was innovative, but Williams was clearly market leader.

#32 11 years ago

I have to go with Gottlieb then Williams.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from kypinguy:

The 80's was such a trans-formative decade in the world of pinball, that I usually break the decade down into games made before System 11, and those made after it. I'm a huge fan of Bally games in the early 80s, but games made after 1983 they just lose their appeal. Trying to compare Whirlwind to Fathom is just unfair, even though they are both absolutely awesome games in their own right.
    In my opinion, Williams owned the pinball market after High Speed, and had a darned strong showing for the rest of the decade with games like Black Knight.
    Gottlieb had a few awesome games like Black Hole and Haunted House, but they never really recovered from the reputation that they earned from operators for being unreliable during the transition from EM to SS in the late 70s.

I will have to agree with Mike here, but I think the William 80s games before 85 were pretty awesome as well Firepower, BK, Solar Fire, Pharaoh, Blackout, Cosmic Gunfight, Star Light (even though there were only 100 made is an awesome game) Barracora, Starting with FirepowerII I believe we got the 50V flippers and they started using ramps. Then in late 84 (early 85) Space Shuttle (system9) came out with Comet and Sorcerer (the other 2 sys.9s) at that point there was no going back... Then they came out with the sys. 11s starting in 86 like HS, Pin*Bot, F-14...just to name a few, and set the bar... Oh and technically WW is from 1990...so it doesn't count... as an 80s game that is!!!

Phoebe

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Oh and technically WW is from 1990...so it doesn't count... as an 80s game that is!!!
    Phoebe

Mine is the super-rare 1989 prototype!

Oh, wait. Maybe it isn't.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flame-discussion-best-pin-manufacturer-of-the-80s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.