Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by LucidLight
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Finishing up a restore on my STTNG and I am having trouble with both gun Optos. On the right gun the Opto is registering as a square in the switch test however when I block the beam it rapidly bounces from open to close? The left gun opto is not showing as a blank square in switch test and is not working. When I shine a flashlight it does register. There is 13 volts present on both. I replaced all Opto with new ones and it did not help. Also checked CPU board and not ground issue. All other Optos in the game work good. Help!

#2 8 years ago

Hmmm off the cuff id say an alignment issue for the first one and a bad/not powered emitter for the 2nd. Cleaned them with cuetip and alchohal already?

#3 8 years ago

Did you replace the harness?

If you wiggle the gun harness under the playfield do the switches open/close?

#4 8 years ago

actually the right doesnt sound like an alignment issue. Scratch that, maybe an opto board output flakey?

#5 8 years ago

I did not replace the harnesses. I will wiggle them and see what I get. Why would it open and close rapidly when nothing is moving?

#6 8 years ago

Broken down wires causing less than solid connection b/w switch & board.

#7 8 years ago

I will run some temp jumpers and see what I get.

#8 8 years ago

Take your cell phone out. Put it in camera mode. See if you can "see" the optos through your cell camera. Cell phone cameras don't filter out IR light, so you should see it light on/off.

#9 8 years ago

I wiggled the wire harness and it opened and closed the Opto switch so that tells me it must be breaking and making a bad connection. I am guessing the left one might be bad too. I think I will buy new harnesses.

#10 8 years ago

The harnesses were pretty pricy I found - I ended up using stranded cat5 cable and worked like a charm for years - Ethernet patch cables are stranded & easy to come by now days.

#11 8 years ago

I replaced both harnesses with new harnesses and I still have the exact same issues. Any other ideas?

#13 8 years ago

Did you reflow the solder connection to the opto? I am assuming that the harness for the opto has a Molex plug and that the original connection to the opto itself wasn't part of the replacement harness.

#14 8 years ago

I guess I'm not understanding what the game is doing. I get what the optos are doing but what is it doing in game? Not loading to the cannon? Loading and not firing? Cannon not registering at all?

#15 8 years ago

When I play a game the left launcher runs constantly and the display keeps saying pull trigger to launch ball. In other words it thinks there is a ball loaded in the left launcher. When I pull the trigger the coil does not fire either. It does fire in selenoid test mode though.

#16 8 years ago

yes I reflowed the Opto.

#17 8 years ago

The optos do die over time. Have you tested the optos themselves? Usually the transmitter goes before the receiver.

#18 8 years ago

RePlace Opts. Mine yellowed with age and were in need of replacement. The led lens side went from yellow or light blue to amber. Most of the IR light was being blocked and not getting to the photo transistor

#19 8 years ago

On an off chance, check your VUK optos too. If the game is reading the VUK as empty after a ball rolled thru, I will think it misfired and loaded a ball to the cannon

Also, someone jump in here but don't all the optos go thru the 16 opto board? Couldn't a 339 be out?

#20 8 years ago

Replace cap c2 (100 mfd) on the driver board. It's next to the small voltage regulator 7812. Probably needs done anyway...

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

The harnesses were pretty pricy I found - I ended up using stranded cat5 cable and worked like a charm for years - Ethernet patch cables are stranded & easy to come by now days.

This is an outstanding idea!

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Also, someone jump in here but don't all the optos go thru the 16 opto board? Couldn't a 339 be out?

Most of the optos do go through the 16-Opto board, the ones that do not are the seven on the ball trough as they have their own driver circuits on the Ball Trough PCB; and yes, it's possible that there can be problems with the wiring to the opto board. A good thing to try is reseating the J3 and J4connectors on the 16-Opto PCB. Also, since you did replace both Optos I would check that they are wired correctly and that they are not blocked in any way.

I'm a little confused on the right cannon comments since ALL of the opto switches should read closed unless the light is blocked. A closed switch is represented by a square in the switch edge test menu T1. The switch changing from a square to a dot when a ball is in the gun signifies both right gun optos are working properly.

To aid in isolating the problem, here is how your Left Gun Shooter Switch works: All opto transmitters are constantly on whenever the game is turned on via the 16 Opto PCB. A current limited +12V is applied to the anode (A) of the optical transmitter via a grey-white wire from J3 pin 10 of the 16 Opto board, the return wire (black) connects the cathode (K) to J3-1 completing the circuit. The photo transistor has +12V on the collector (C) which comes from J4 pin 1 (Grey-Yellow wire), the emitter (E) of the photo transistor is connected to J4 pin 10 (orange-White); when the light coming from the transmitter hits the photo transistor, it turns the transistor on closing the circuit and applying the +_12 to the collector.

So how do you check them? ...
I would use a DVM, what you should measure on the transmitter (green PCB) is the operating voltage of the photo transmitter, roughly 1.8-2.1 V. If you measure +12V here it means the transmitter is NOT on because it has either failed or the return circuit is open.

The photo transistor will be off if the transmitter is not working so there is no need to check this unless you have a working transmitter. What you should see on the receiver when the photo transistor is on is nearly no voltage across the emitter and collector (because its almost the same voltage on both sides) and you should measure +12V to ground. When the receiver is off (IR missing or blocked) you will see +12V across the emitter and collector, 12V on the collector to ground, and no voltage on the emitter.

This is pretty much the same functionality for all of the optical circuits.

3 years later
#23 4 years ago

I had this exact same problem with my STTNG. It was driving me crazy. Turns out the white/green wire that comes from the 16 option board also attaches to another target. It had broken loose and was rubbing against it with every vibration of the table. The switch would show closed (correct) during switch test add table in down position. Once I soldered it back on, it worked fine. What a crazy issue!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 64.99
$ 599.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.90
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
8,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Winston-salem, NC
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 63.95
$ 9.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flaky-opto-switch-issue-sttng and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.