02_Tinned_socket_wall.jpg
01_Sanded_socket_wall.jpg
08_no_44_lamp_2.jpg
IMG_1293.JPG
IMG_1292.JPG
IMG_1291-117.JPG
IMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cruzin1a.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 10 years ago

Even after reading Clay's instructions I didn't prep the surface for the solder lol. I guess I thought he meant you only needed to clean the nipple and I was attempting to solder the base to the bracket. Maybe I thought that because mine shows signs of corrosion and the bulb socket looks clean. Either way I'll be at this again tonight because without prepping the surface that solder would not take O,o Think I may get a chisel tip for my soldering iron too.

Thanks for the thread and helping me understand where I went wrong :0)

#11 10 years ago

Great write up. Answered so many questions. I was unaware I needed to use flux if I had the 60/40 rosin core, but then I'm new to soldering and didn't do to well lol.

#13 10 years ago

I also have several loose bulb sockets on my Surf Champ that occasionally give me trouble. I've ordered a few new sockets and plan on just replacing some of the bad ones. However the bonus tree has several sockets that are riveted to a strip and have been flickering. Replacing those doesn't seem like an option. So I decided to take the advice here and solder them. I replaced my cheap 40 watt Radio Shack soldering iron with a Weller gun. I picked up some flux and took a shot at doing this.

Each area was cleaned with emery paper ( a dremel would have been cleaner and faster) and then blown off. I removed the tree to solder the bases on my work bench. Then I installed the tree to complete the soldering of the wires to the tits. I ran the wires through the tabs to hold the wires in place as I soldered them. That helped quite a bit. Now they all light nicely. No flickering or dull lights.

IMG_1289.JPGIMG_1289.JPG
IMG_1277.JPGIMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1285.JPGIMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1284.JPGIMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1287.JPGIMG_1287.JPG
IMG_1291-117.JPGIMG_1291-117.JPG
IMG_1292.JPGIMG_1292.JPG

IMG_1293.JPGIMG_1293.JPG

#15 10 years ago

Yeah I used the 140 setting and it worked just fine. The flux also worked great. What I meant was installing new sockets. I am not quite sure how that would have been done. So soldering seemed the way to go.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Don_C:

Nice work, Cruzin1a. On an assembly like that, you can't get enough heat. When I do things like this, I put enough heat on the parts so that when I touch the solder to the joint, it flows instantly, in a flash.
Don C.

Your write up was spot on and saved me a ton of aggravation and time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cruzin1a.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flaky-bulb-sockets-solder-question?tu=cruzin1a and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.