486273EE-16C7-428E-B053-0C3548D19FEF (resized).jpeg
47E031D1-4921-4F3C-A526-D283EA4C3A5F (resized).jpeg
CFAEB1CC-4896-43B4-8B18-CE3312F39301 (resized).jpeg
9DBB4BEF-2F27-46E2-AD9B-D90B577D2541 (resized).jpeg
FE73D579-BA49-4210-B836-F3E490C04BE1 (resized).jpeg
58A89466-7409-4FA8-A2DF-8FDBA491F3A2 (resized).jpeg
A54282CB-4A16-4921-86D8-57ADE83C8DE3 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I picked up a Gottlieb Volley for a great price that is pretty clean mechanically but needs some cosmetic love. The main issue is while the playfield colors are nice and vibrant, there is planking and more concerning, some flaking.

Pretty sure that I can’t get rid of those plank lines but I can do some of the other small areas that will make it quite presentable.

I think 2pac clear coat is the best option (an initial lock down layer before touch ups) but I was wondering what would be the best way to clean it before spraying the 2pac without causing further damage?

FE73D579-BA49-4210-B836-F3E490C04BE1 (resized).jpegFE73D579-BA49-4210-B836-F3E490C04BE1 (resized).jpeg58A89466-7409-4FA8-A2DF-8FDBA491F3A2 (resized).jpeg58A89466-7409-4FA8-A2DF-8FDBA491F3A2 (resized).jpegA54282CB-4A16-4921-86D8-57ADE83C8DE3 (resized).jpegA54282CB-4A16-4921-86D8-57ADE83C8DE3 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Pretty much anything you wipe it down with will risk lifting some of the cracking paint. If you have any ball swirls to remove, isopropyl alcohol and a magic eraser used gently will get you there. Beyond that Naptha is used for playfield cleaning and getting dirt off.

Finally you want to remove wax and silicone residues that may be present, or your 2 part will fisheye like crazy. I like to use Mother’s CMX surface prep (https://www.amazon.com/Mothers-01224-CMX-Surface-Prep/dp/B07YSWSQMY) because it works well and is widely available at your local auto parts store. Others on here swear by using rapid prep. You have to wipe off rapid prep with either rapid tac or naptha when you are done. CMX doesn’t need that step.

*edit - I also see Mylar on there around the pops. Be sure to clean off any residual glue first. I like to use AP flour and isopropyl alcohol mixed into a loose slurry in a small bowl. Don’t try to mix flour and isopropyl alcohol on the play field, it makes a mess and doesn’t work well. You apply it and rub the remaining adhesive with your finger tip. It’s gentle and works quickly with very little mess since the adhesive makes easy to remove clumps with the flour.*

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Pretty much anything you wipe it down with will risk lifting some of the cracking paint. If you have any ball swirls to remove, isopropyl alcohol and a magic eraser used gently will get you there.

Please don't use Magic Eraser on the PF at all. ME is a fine sandpaper and WILL remove the clear coat that is still on the playfield even if used gently. Stay away from ME or anything abrasive.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from tscottn:

Please don't use Magic Eraser on the PF at all. ME is a fine sandpaper and WILL remove the clear coat that is still on the playfield even if used gently. Stay away from ME or anything abrasive.

Op is planning to prep for clear and touch up. ME is fine considering this.

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

I also see Mylar on there around the pops. Be sure to clean off any residual glue first.

Usually Gottlieb pop platters are just free floating (which causes wear after dirt gets under them). No worry about glue then! Probably the best thing about the free floating ones.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

Pretty much anything you wipe it down with will risk lifting some of the cracking paint. If you have any ball swirls to remove, isopropyl alcohol and a magic eraser used gently will get you there. Beyond that Naptha is used for playfield cleaning and getting dirt off.
Finally you want to remove wax and silicone residues that may be present, or your 2 part will fisheye like crazy. I like to use Mother’s CMX surface prep (amazon.com link ») because it works well and is widely available at your local auto parts store. Others on here swear by using rapid prep. You have to wipe off rapid prep with either rapid tac or naptha when you are done. CMX doesn’t need that step.
*edit - I also see Mylar on there around the pops.

Thanks bigguybbr. I was going to clean the dirt off with ME and alcohol. The playfield is pretty clean so like you said I’d probably would do that for the ball swirls or the dirtiest sections.

So ME with alcohol, then wipe with naphtha to remove residue, then CMX. For those flaking areas is it ok just to gently wipe with naphtha and then CMX? Would that be enough to prep it for clear coat?

The mylar around the pops are the loose kind so no worries there with it tearing off a bunch of paint.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

For those flaking areas is it ok just to gently wipe with naphtha and then CMX? Would that be enough to prep it for clear coat?

It depends on the amount of wax on your playfield. If you mix and spray your own 2PAC there are fish eye reducer additives you can use to give some protection against any contaminants that might be deeper in those cracking paint areas.

#8 2 years ago

Also consider 2k glamour 2pac in a spray bomb.

bigguybbr has used it and so have I.
Smaller investment, excellent results, less cleanup/ storage.

Worth considering if this is your first clear coat job.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

What he said

That playfield is in gorgeous shape. It’ll look amazing once cleared. Be sure to share your results when you finish.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballAir:

I have used 2k spray on a retheme I did so I’m familiar with the product. I’m thinking of using it for this project so no can do on the fish eye reducer.

The retheme was a complete repaint so I was clearing over virgin paint and contamination was easy to control.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from bigguybbr:

What he said
That playfield is in gorgeous shape. It’ll look amazing once cleared. Be sure to share your results when you finish.

I hope I can do it justice or at least preserve what’s there. I was told the pin was sitting for 20 years in a clothing store as a display and then in the store owner’s home. The home was sold and the brother of the owner took it and left in his backyard, covered in black plastic, before I got it. Maybe that’s how the playfield got the way it is.

The good is that the playfield is not bad, the backglass is 9/10 and the insides are really quite clean. All wiring is pretty much dirt free and all their colors are visible and bright. I don’t think this was played on much. The play counter says 2453 (someone wrote on the counter “All balls played since 10-4-1986”) so I guess the counter has been replaced or messed with?
47E031D1-4921-4F3C-A526-D283EA4C3A5F (resized).jpeg47E031D1-4921-4F3C-A526-D283EA4C3A5F (resized).jpeg486273EE-16C7-428E-B053-0C3548D19FEF (resized).jpeg486273EE-16C7-428E-B053-0C3548D19FEF (resized).jpeg

The bad is that someone repainted the entire cabinet like an American flag. Thus the low price.
9DBB4BEF-2F27-46E2-AD9B-D90B577D2541 (resized).jpeg9DBB4BEF-2F27-46E2-AD9B-D90B577D2541 (resized).jpegCFAEB1CC-4896-43B4-8B18-CE3312F39301 (resized).jpegCFAEB1CC-4896-43B4-8B18-CE3312F39301 (resized).jpeg

#13 2 years ago

Restenciling is easy.
If the paint used for american flag is latex, it will come off with xylene and leave the original paint on the cabinet.
No game left outside for 20 minutes here would EVER look that good.
I would not worry about fish eye if you OVER prep it. Lots of naptha.
I have not used the other prep solvents yet but do plan on trying them.
I wash with natha all thru the process. I likely wash a playfield 20-25 times during prep. Even you finger prints can cause problems.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 210.00
Cabinet Parts
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 42.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flaking-playfield?hl=wayinla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.