Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by DaveH
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Tro_(resized).jpg
    sherlock_holmes_in_public-domain_(resized).jpg
    Moderator_(resized).png
    Moderator_(2)_(resized).png
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

Can we add a feature when someone deliberately creates alias accounts to spam their podcast (after they've been banned dozens of times before), users can flag that user so that mods can quickly shut down their account before they spam the entire message board with ads?

#2 7 years ago

Bottom right corner of the post, the little half figure of a person, Report Post For Abuse.

LTG : )

#3 7 years ago

i think hes hoping for a faster response time, kandea has about 4 or 5 accounts going in that thread and its been up for an hour

#4 7 years ago
    Quoted from InfiniteLives:

i think hes hoping for a faster response time, kandea has about 4 or 5 accounts going in that thread and its been up for an hour

Would be nice. But it might be at the mercy of when Robin or Moderators are active. They don't live and breathe Pinside like the rest of us.

#5 7 years ago

Yeah, the moderators are not allowed to have lives out of pinside
    They should read and moderate every post before it goes up for public viewing

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

They should read and moderate every post before it goes up for public viewing

Strangely enough, in the early days of Usenet. Some of the moderated newsgroups actually worked like this.

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Yeah, the moderators are not allowed to have lives out of pinside

I'm not suggesting moderators should live on pinside 24/7, merely suggesting a button that would alert all mods so whoever is available can at least freeze the account if they suddenly see a bunch of flags pop up. Maybe an auto-freeze after so many flags, and then a moderator can deal with it when they have time.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

suggesting a button that would alert all mods so whoever is available can at least freeze the account if they suddenly see a bunch of flags pop up. Maybe an auto-freeze after so many flags, and then a moderator can deal with it when they have time.

This sounds good.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Maybe an auto-freeze after so many flags,

I agree with you. Especially this. Then when Robin or the Mods catch up they can deal with it.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I'm not suggesting moderators should live on pinside 24/7, merely suggesting a button that would alert all mods so whoever is available can at least freeze the account if they suddenly see a bunch of flags pop up. Maybe an auto-freeze after so many flags, and then a moderator can deal with it when they have time.

They still have to be logged on

#11 7 years ago

The way I handle it on the forums I own is a downvote that puts that user into negative points will prevent that user from continuing to post. New users who register just to spam get handled quickly. This way the community can moderate spammers at a much faster rate than a moderation staff ever could as users are always online.

The upvote downvote feature already exists here it just doesn't provide any actual moderation benefit.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Strangely enough, in the early days of Usenet. Some of the moderated newsgroups actually worked like this.

There probably is an option for this in the forum software

Could you imagine having to wait for your post to appear ?

#13 7 years ago

What happened to the last thread like this? I go work a little, come back, and it's gone!

#14 7 years ago

I think they should not only freeze the accounts but take down that billboard crap....delete the post. It's time to delete anything Kaneda!

#15 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

What happened to the last thread like this? I go work a little, come back, and it's gone!

The fake Star Wars one, right? For me I clicked on it through the "Garystern" dupe account, and it redirected me back to the Pinside home page.
    Probably deleted/blocked to prevent any additional attention drawn to... eh, what he was advertising (trying to be vague here since frankly it deserves no attention, but you know what I'm referring to).

Quoted from Pinballlew:

I think they should not only freeze the accounts but take down that billboard crap....delete the post. It's time to delete anything Kaneda!

This. I've lost count how many dupe accounts he's made. Wiping all traces of his online acrimony off of Pinside/taking various measures to keep it that way and stop him from returning should be considered. Honestly he won't change, and unless something that is perhaps drastic and different is done, he's most definately gonna keep doing the same stuff over and over.

Added over 7 years ago: That awkward moment when the dude below you gets 14 upvotes. Sorry, just...fuck! That's awkward!

There's far too few moderators on Pinside, and I think they're overworked. The forum needs more of them to make the workload all the more managable.

#16 7 years ago

I don't know how Robin could make it work any better than the Report Abuse icon. Click on it and you're done. The system worked in this case and the offending post was nuked in slightly less than an hour. Deleted - gone - zippo.

The problem as I see it is people are so worked up they want instant results. ---Be patient--- We have a handful of **volunteer** moderators and they do the best they can. ***But they need your help by alerting them***

PSA: Xanax or Alprazolam is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders.
    Moderator_(2)_(resized).pngModerator_(2)_(resized).png
    Moderator_(resized).pngModerator_(resized).png

#17 7 years ago

If it bothers you that much, also hit ignore button for each user you identify as this person, but only after you have reported the problem. That way you make it better for all users and save your own sanity.

Responding to these persons only makes it worse. Ignore them (feature wise) and by not replying. They live on being troll like. If no one bites, they get bored and leave. Which is what we all want.

#18 7 years ago

You gotta admit it's pretty amusing watching Kaneda popping his head up periodically and getting it smacked down again like a whack-a-mole. Don't delete his original aborted posts after booting him... it would deny me the chuckle I get when I see them

I mean the guy DOES like to entertain...

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

and it's gone!

Depth Charged! That thread is in the Deepest-Darkest-Pinside forum section. Just 100 sub levels below the basement.

#20 7 years ago

I dont even know own why Kaneda was banned.

Somehow I missed the whole thing

But I do recall from pretty much his first day many Pinsiders were shitting on the guy for being a Dbag & screwing over a kid...

All the mods said we needed to be nice & stop the personal attacks against the guy

That's funny now

#21 7 years ago
    #22 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

The way I handle it on the forums I own is a downvote that puts that user into negative points will prevent that user from continuing to post. New users who register just to spam get handled quickly. This way the community can moderate spammers at a much faster rate than a moderation staff ever could as users are always online.
    The upvote downvote feature already exists here it just doesn't provide any actual moderation benefit.

But on Pinside a down vote only means that someone doesn't agree with you.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

But on Pinside a down vote only means that someone doesn't agree with you.

Exactly my point. If they gave this some weight or at least made it apply to new accounts or accounts under X amount of time users could then quickly stop spammers from posting.

It works wonders on my 40+ forums but I don't own pinside.

#24 7 years ago

Since I spotted him first: no.

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

Would you like to? How much cash you got?

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Sticky:

Pffft. I have 50+, so...

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

So I really hope that I'm not opening up a can of worms, but I've only been on Pinside since December. What's the deal with this Kaneda person whose name keeps coming up?

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

So I really hope that I'm not opening up a can of worms, but I've only been on Pinside since December. What's the deal with this Kaneda person whose name keeps coming up?

He's a guy that writes like you, stirs up others like you, is passive aggressive like you....hey, wait a minute!

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

He bought a King Kong pin from a kid and didn't pay him the full agreed upon price, just so he could run over the rare pin with his 700+ hp Hellcraft while he recorded the audio for his short-lived podcast.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

He's a guy that writes like you, stirs up others like you, is passive aggressive like you....hey, wait a minute!

sherlock_holmes_in_public-domain_(resized).jpgsherlock_holmes_in_public-domain_(resized).jpg

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from guyincognito:

He bought a King Kong pin from a kid and didn't pay him the full agreed upon price, just so he could run over the rare pin with his 700+ hp Hellcraft while he recorded the audio for his short-lived podcast.

Is that the best you can come up with? Pretty lame. Give it a rest.

#32 7 years ago

That is the EXACT photo that Kaneda would have posted in this situation!

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Is that the best you can come up with? Pretty lame. Give it a rest.

You asked.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

That is the EXACT photo that Kaneda would have posted in this situation!

I swear I was thinking the same thing..... Not to mention the "Who is this Kaneda guy" also got my attention. There is a search feature on Pinside, y'know.

#35 7 years ago

sorry I asked. good god you guys are unbelievable.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

sorry I asked. good god you guys are unbelievable.

Unbelievable...lol. That was good.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

3 years ago, he spent $32k to turn a tiny room in his tiny NY apartment into a kid's arcade. Got banned from KLOV, moved to pinside, showed I imagine similar childish behavior like personally attacking members and moderators. Got banned, got an un-ban so long as he stayed to his own thread.. couldn't control himself, started meandering into other threads, got banned again. Then he made up more alias accounts, started dozens of angry threads to spam the entire board like you might see on craigslist of people replying to WTB ads. Continued to podcast while bashing pinside, created more fake accounts. This last time he tried to spam the board with ads to his podcast that nobody but maybe 2 people even care about. I think that covers most of it.

Here's one example of why he's hated in arcade forums:
    https://mrpersonanongrata.wordpress.com/2014/06/11/the-poser-spokesman/

Here's some hate on RGP:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.games.pinball/JqXFOYMpBJg

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

3 years ago, he spent $32k to turn a tiny room in his tiny NY apartment into a kid's arcade. Got banned from KLOV, moved to pinside, showed I imagine similar childish behavior like personally attacking members and moderators. Got banned, got an un-ban so long as he stayed to his own thread.. couldn't control himself, started meandering into other threads, got banned again. Then he made up more alias accounts, started dozens of angry threads to spam the entire board like you might see on craigslist of people replying to WTB ads. Continued to podcast while bashing pinside, created more fake accounts. This last time he tried to spam the board with ads to his podcast that nobody but maybe 2 people even care about. I think that covers most of it.
    Here's some hate on RGP:
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/rec.games.pinball/JqXFOYMpBJg

Screwed a kid on a "Fix it Felix". Impersonated him on EBay, later claiming he did it as a joke..... Had a short lived public relations gig for that (alleged) thief, JPop.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Here's some hate on RGP:

You forgot the part where his fiancé left him because she realized he was a child.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

Here's some hate on RGP:

oh
    my
    god

well, THAT puts things into a whole new perspective. My sincerest apologies to one and all if I came across like this guy. It is so not who I am.

#42 7 years ago

Dooskie.

I understand the anger Kaneda has created here but it has also created a witch hunt on Pinside. Pinsider Multibrawlr, another newbie was also recently accused of being a troll in a different thread. He was found innocent only after defensively revealing himself.

In my opinion there are some here that owe you the apology.

#43 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

oh
    my
    god
    well, THAT puts things into a whole new perspective. My sincerest apologies to one and all if I came across like this guy. It is so not who I am.

No need to take it seriously. Personally I just thought the guys were joking around with you Hard to tell on the interwebz

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Dooskie.
    I understand the anger Kaneda has created here but it has also created a witch hunt on Pinside. Pinsider Multibrawlr, another newbie was also recently accused of being a troll in a different thread. He was found innocent only after defensively revealing himself.
    In my opinion there are some here that owe you the apology.

Granted, I was probably asking for trouble by posting in the Skit-B thread -- of all places -- when my account was brand new in the first place. However, I had only posted there hoping that every pre-orderer would be refunded. I didn't harass anyone, and I would NEVER stoop down to such a low level and insult, degrade, or troll people like the many repeat offenders here. That would be an outright insult to the community.

The Skit-B thread had dealt with several cases of duplicate accounts from Pinchili/Tim Fife, so I suppose that their suspicion was justified. But still, the accusatory "witch hunt" vibe here will have the unfortunate side effect of wrongly targeting legitimate new users, who aren't any of the trolls that have harassed Pinsiders before.

Don't get me wrong... I understand the suspicion. I just fear that it could unwittingly scare off honest-to-God up-and-coming Pinsiders and hurt the forum's reputation. Hell, I almost considered leaving because of it. Sadly, quite often it's hard to tell who's who. I guess it's a "double-edged sword" scenario of sorts?

I'm still kinda annoyed because I wanted to browse anonymously, but my privacy didn't even last a freakin' DAY... all because I was mistaken as Kaneda/Pinchili/some other troll, and had to tell everyone who I was to get them off my back or mistakenly ban/freeze me (nobody was going to believe me otherwise). Oh well, right?

At least a lot of very kind people apologised to me, convincing me to give Pinside another chance and not let what happened put a damper on my experience here. Plus the people in the Skit-B thread -- thankfully -- believed my explanation and moved along, despite the fact that I was essentially left with my identity prematurely revealed against my will, which really sucks.

Happy that I'm not really the only one who was involved in a situation like this.

#45 7 years ago

honestly, although i didn't read them that closely or entirely, in the links posted here to show how bad kaneda is it seems that the people against him are acting worse than he is.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrDucks:

honestly, although i didn't read them that closely or entirely, in the links posted here to show how bad kaneda is it seems that the people against him are acting worse than he is.

You clearly didn't see the "I'm going to smash your fat f***** face in" post he directed at Beezleboobs a few days ago.

That thread was totally deleted a few minutes after he posted that.

rd

#47 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

You clearly didn't see the "I'm going to smash your fat f***** face in" post he directed at Beezleboobs a few days ago.
    rd

No, I didn't see that, I was just referring to these links that I thought were posted as an example of why he was disliked.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I missed all of that. What name was he posting under this time? Wow, I miss a couple of days and the soap opera took a leap.

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

I missed all of that. What name was he posting under this time?

Could be wrong but I thought he posted that under the name "rareherofaggot" or something else like that when he threatened Beezleboob.

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

Screwed a kid on a "Fix it Felix". Impersonated him on EBay, later claiming he did it as a joke..... Had a short lived public relations gig for that (alleged) thief, JPop.

While I never ended up getting the rest of the money for the game, he technically doesn't have the official version of the game running in the cabinet he has. I made an interesting discovery two months ago regarding the time I was troubleshooting the PC when the game arrived from overseas. I'm not going into anymore detail as I know he still reads through the forums.

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.