Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 53 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.07.09 PM (resized).png
    screen_remove (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 4.27.21 PM (resized).png
    Screen_Pic_6_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Pic_5_(resized).JPG
    Screen_pic_4_(resized).JPG
    Screen_pic_3_(resized).JPG
    Screen_pic_2_(resized).JPG
    Screen__pic_1_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Pic_00_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Pic_0_(resized).JPG
    DSC04605_(resized).JPG
    DSC04597_(resized).JPG
    DSC04596_(resized).JPG

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Hi all,

See some threads from new bingo owners and issues they may have with their machines. The first electro Mechanical I bought was a magic screen Can Can Bingo three years ago. I got it home and that was the first time I looked inside anything electro mechanical…wow!

I have a link here to my topic but you don’t need to open (as its boring) to get the message I am telling you.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-1961-can-can-bingo-machine-restoration-by-a-newbie#post-1905735
    And no I have never met either of these guys below.

Here is the two things I recommend:

1. I was able to understand the games following information on this wonderful site. Make a favorite and read everything. It’s Phil Hooper’s site. http://bingovideos.cdyn.com/

2. I was able to fix the games; find faults, fix scoring, un stick occasional screen sticking only because of the clear repair videos prepared by Richard Gerlitz. There are other tutorials but I did not need anything more than what I mention here.

For the videos I downloaded from his site but there are some DVD’s on sale that seem a great deal and cheap for what it is.

Copies of the DVD’s are on sale on Ebay $39.95 with free shipping.

ebay.com link: Bally Bingo Pinball Repair Guide DVD Set 11 Volumes High Quality Close Ups

Here is what is on the video’s

Volume #1; Bally Main Course 29 Minutes
    • Nature of Game
    • Theory of Operation
    • Component Identification & Explanation
    • Common Adjustments & Trouble Spots
    • General Lubrication- Playfields & Shutters
    • Ball Return & Mechanisms
    • Trough Switches
    • Front Door Adjustments

Volume #2; Points & Relays, 28 Minutes
    • Simple 1 Switch Circuit
    • Switch Blades
    • Switch Stacks
    • NC-NO-SPDT Switches Explained
    • Adjusting & Cleaning Points
    • Relay Types Explained
    • Repairs & Trouble Spots

Volume #3 Solenoids & Steppers, 24 Minutes
    • Operation Explained
    • Replacing Coils & Coil Stops
    • Steppers Explained
    • Disassembling & Cleaning
    • Disc & Finger Alignment
    • Spring Adjustments
    • Wiper Tension
    • Early & Late Designs

Volume #4; Control Unit, 36 Minutes
    • Component Identification &Explanation
    • Lubrication- Leather Clutches
    • Drag Arm Switches
    • Control Cams
    • Replay Cams
    • Search Index
    • Search Disc
    • Critical Adjustments

Volume #5; Mixer & Spotting Unit, 23 Minutes
    • Pulse Switches
    • Mixers- Mixer Latch Assembly's
    • Mixer Latch Coil & Stop- Spotting Disc
    • Clutches
    • Critical Score Extra Step Adjustments

Volume #6; Ball Lifter & Shutter Motors, 6 Minutes
    • Stuck Armatures
    • Stripped Gears
    • Linkage Adjustments
    • Early & Later Designs

Volume #7; Replay Counter & Reflex Units, 8 Minutes
    • Explanation of Operations
    • How to Adjust
    • Damage from Operators

Volume #8; Feature Units, 40 Minutes
    • Game Features Explained
    • Select a Lit Number
    • Odd or Even- Magic Pockets
    • Bump Feature
    • Magic Lines
    • Turning Corners
    • Chain Game Magic Lines
    • Screen Games

Volume #9; Short Circuits, 21 Minutes
    • General Overview of Short Circuits
    • Location of Common Causes of Shorts
    • Circuit Interrupters to Locate Short
    • Circuit Isolation to Diagnose
    • Tracing on Schematic
    • Manual Operation of Game
    • Photo's/Tips Etc...

Volume #10; Serious Problems, 47 Minutes
    • Burned Field Windings
    • Broken Plug Pins
    • Broken Plug Receiver
    • Binding Magic Screen
    • Stripped Magic Screen Motor
    • Burned or Chewed Wiring
    • Damaged Light Sockets
    • Broken Search Wiper Hub
    • Worn Cams
    • Burned Wiper Disc
    • Broken Wire in Harness
    • Burned Trip Bank Coil
    • Broken Wiper Blade

Volume #11; Manual & Schematic, 43 Minutes
    • Wire Color Codes
    • Symbols- Schematic Location Codes
    • Pictorial Views Explained
    • Locating Components
    • Light Circuits
    • Motor Circuits
    • 50 Volt Coil & Replay Circuits
    • Payout Circuits
    • Practice Troubleshooting

#2 8 years ago

I still have not reviewed Richard Gerlitz's videos - I keep telling myself to pony up as I hear they are quite good.

I can, however, vouch 1000% for Phil Hooper's bingo.cdyn.com. Phil has done amazing work cataloging and documenting units in bingos that have not previously been documented! He has compiled tons of documentation for each machine - it's really a go-to spot for me.

I always start with the manual and schematics on his site, then print them (I prefer to work from paper). The score and instruction cards have saved me more than a few times as well!

Great advice, Steve!

#3 8 years ago

I think I have lamented before that I am more a visual learner than a written word ace. The video's are well done, to the point and for me a crash course in learning. Phil's site is an invitation to a bingo advance knowledge feast. Together priceless. I notice Phil has linked the Gerlitz videos as well as another chaps called Alan Marriage DVD's.

Hats off to you Nick for learning without them.

#4 8 years ago

Steve, your Can-Can looks much like my Roller Derby. Could you possibly do me a huge favor and photograph the Score Extra Step relay on top of the Mixer, especially the 2 sets of switch blades and how they are fit into the actuator, and also the paperwork on the inside of the head on the left side? It looks like some sort of instruction or info on the Magic Screen unit? Mine is missing that paperwork, and my Extra Step Relay has a broken switch blade.

Beautiful job on that restoration. I can only hope Roller Derby looks that good someday. Right now it's an oily, stinky mess But that's part of the allure!

Thanks!
    Dave

#5 8 years ago

Dave,

Happy to. Won't be able to post until tomorrow evening though.

I learned so much after that tear down and rebuild. The game is very reliable now. That smell is the old neatsfoot oil I think inpregnated into the wood. I got rid of it or got used to it as it does not smell now.

There is some guys in the Netherlands that restore bingo's in a serious way. Coo's put out a video that will possibly shock you how they clean them before working on them. I will hunt for the pinside link and post.

It's a must watch.

Steve J.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

I still have not reviewed Richard Gerlitz's videos - I keep telling myself to pony up as I hear they are quite good.

I bought the Gerlitz videos. Pretty good overall, but it shows him using WD40 on the leather clutches & elsewhere.
    What the hell? Why in earth would someone use WD40 on a pinball or Bingo machine... I have spent many, many hours cleaning old dried & gummy WD40 residue from pinball steppers & the like.

#7 8 years ago

Yeh, forgot about that!

Good thing I had the Phil Hooper and Pinside site to guide me away from that.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Toyguy:

..... Could you possibly do me a huge favor and photograph the Score Extra Step relay on top of the Mixer, especially the 2 sets of switch blades and how they are fit into the actuator, and also the paperwork on the inside of the head on the left side? It looks like some sort of instruction or info on the Magic Screen unit? Mine is missing that paperwork, and my Extra Step Relay has a broken switch blade......

Dave,
    First picture is the Score Extra Step Coil relay

DSC04596_(resized).JPGDSC04596_(resized).JPG
    2nd picture is the Score Extra Step Index that operates the Extra Step Index if yiou need it (not sure)

DSC04597_(resized).JPGDSC04597_(resized).JPG
    3rd picture is the magic screen instructions on how to remove the screen.

DSC04605_(resized).JPGDSC04605_(resized).JPG
    I took more so if you need other views just ask.

#9 8 years ago

That's perfect Steve! Thanks a ton. Now I can get those annoying burnt-out bulbs behind the number plate replaced and try recreating that document, unless I can find it on the bingo site. That just occurred to me, so I will go have a look.

Dave

#10 8 years ago

Be careful not to overtighten the nuts holding the spring clips in place. They like to break.

#11 8 years ago

By Spring Clips, do you mean track locks in that image, or the lamp bracket?

#12 8 years ago

Track locks. Also, when you slide the screen out of the way, you will reveal the bingo card, which is plastic. Remove the left-hand screw and the card can be removed. Be careful not to scratch the card on the way out.

The bulbs are 1454/68 (number correct?) 20V bulbs. 44/47/55s will not work there. If you put one in there to test, it will blow the lamp.

#13 8 years ago

Also: good news everyone - I've added all the Bally bingos to the game archive on pinside, so you can add them to your collection or link them to a post. (United is next).

#14 8 years ago

OK cool. When you remove the screen slats from the track, do they actually come undone, or will they just kind of hang there? I'm hoping my PBR order of bulbs and rubber will be here today.

And thanks for the work on the Bingo adds to the DB. I added mine already but the DB seems to be having some issues so I can't edit the details at the moment. Pinside thinks I have new batteries!

#15 8 years ago

Screen will hang - you only have to remove about four-five slats. It will stay all connected.

#16 8 years ago

You do not need to remove the screen, that diagram is not needed for getting to the bulbs. Moving the magic screen plastic plate (number plate) to get at the bulbs is done from the front. Obviously the back glass is removed first.

With the power off, from the back of the machine you move the metal screen to the right by releasing the Index arm from its cam by pressing in the coil plunger and moving physically the screen by moving the chain. You have to do this in steps as the number plate slides out in about three moves. Go back around to the front and remove the small clips holding the number plate in place. Then slide out the plate as much as you can (1" or two).

You repeat this about three times and each time there is just enough room to pull the number plate out a further couple of inches as the screen is moved. Very simple and replacement is the opposite. Regarding the number plate you want to be careful not to scratch it. There is some one that sells them on eBay periodically if you need to replace.

The bulbs are a little difficult to get out. I used a piece of 5/8" garden hose I think. The Gerlitz videos show this method.

#17 8 years ago

Sloppy fingers = duplicate post.

#18 8 years ago

Great information and nice clear detailed pictures provided here. Thanks for the posting.

#19 8 years ago

To remove the screen bulbs I have added the pics below to support the write up above. I always find the pics to be so much better and this is why Pinside is the best forum for our hobby by a mile. Note buy the 'Gerlitz dvd's or others for repairing videos and you will be an expert in no time at all.

Screen_Pic_0_(resized).JPGScreen_Pic_0_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Pic_00_(resized).JPGScreen_Pic_00_(resized).JPG
    Screen__pic_1_(resized).JPGScreen__pic_1_(resized).JPG
    Screen_pic_2_(resized).JPGScreen_pic_2_(resized).JPG
    Screen_pic_3_(resized).JPGScreen_pic_3_(resized).JPG
    Screen_pic_4_(resized).JPGScreen_pic_4_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Pic_5_(resized).JPGScreen_Pic_5_(resized).JPG
    Screen_Pic_6_(resized).JPGScreen_Pic_6_(resized).JPG

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

. Note buy the 'Gerlitz dvd's or others for repairing videos and you will be an expert in no time at all.

.... but DO NOT use WD40 as he shows in the video..

#21 8 years ago

Agreed

1 week later
    #22 8 years ago

Guys Here is the video link on how to really clean a bingo or any EM flipper game. We discussed this a couple of years ago.

Trust me on this.

#23 8 years ago

That just doesn't look right!

#24 8 years ago

Next thing he whips out a flame thrower to dry it....

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from dasvis:

Next thing he whips our a flame thrower to dry it....

LOL!!!

2 weeks later
    #26 8 years ago

This article is must read for the first time bingo owner.

http://www.pinballcollectorsresource.com/russ_files/inside.html

#27 8 years ago

Is the CDYN Bingo site down for some reason?

#28 8 years ago

I can't access either. Phil is an IT guy so he may be doing some maintenance.

#29 8 years ago

I just got on Phil's site.

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from SteveinTexas:

Guys Here is the video link on how to really clean a bingo or any EM flipper game. We discussed this a couple of years ago.
    Trust me on this.
    » YouTube video

Thanks for this, I am blown away to see someone dumping water on an electrical device made of wood though! I guess it's ok?!

I would think that if these games are so impervious to water, wouldn't spraying a game with "purple stuff" and then pressure washing the game be easier, faster and do a better job?

#31 8 years ago

As I understand Coos and the Netherlands guys wash the games this way a couple of weeks before they restore them. They do wonderful work. The games are very grimey.

The original mix they found to be to aggressive as it was product closer to a drain cleaner much more potent than our purple stuff.

That said I am not doing this to my games.

1 year later
    #32 6 years ago

Favorited.

I've never played a bingo machine but hope to own one someday. I saw two or three bingo machines at the PHOF last time I was there... didn't have the time to play them though.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Favorited.
    I've never played a bingo machine but hope to own one someday. I saw two or three bingo machines at the PHOF last time I was there... didn't have the time to play them though.

Shame you did not play one. Next time you got to play one and get how it works explained so you get the odds and features in play. It’s addictive.

#34 6 years ago

Yeah. They looked boring to me in the past with the holes and no pop bumpers or flippers. I became interested when I found they have gambling strategy and that you can change the numbers, cards or slides after playing each ball.

Is yours set to pay out in coins like a slot machine? That would be fun to see all the coins pouring out when you win.

#35 6 years ago

Fever, man I wish you would have posted this just a little sooner. I just had a truck load of bingos leave Ogden for Denver on Wednesday. I could have given you a great deal...

#36 6 years ago

Favorited.

This is the good way to sample a bunch of different games:

http://www.bingo.joopriem.nl

#37 6 years ago
    Quoted from okorange:

Fever, man I wish you would have posted this just a little sooner. I just had a truck load of bingos leave Ogden for Denver on Wednesday. I could have given you a great deal...

Darn, I would have been interested in one.

Quoted from BlackCatBone:

Perfect! I installed and tried it out. It gives me a chance to learn the different games to get a better idea which one to get. Thanks.

#38 6 years ago

How can you buy those DvDs?

#39 6 years ago

Here is a link to the Richard Gerlitz bingo repair videos download web site:

http://greenalke1.wixsite.com/bingoupdate/course

The download page states the videos are $15 for a limited time, but when you click the button you are prompted to pay $39.95 through PayPal. I paid the full price several years back and would do so again, but the advertised $15 is misleading.

#40 6 years ago

Quoted from BlackCatBone:

Perfect! I installed and tried it out. It gives me a chance to learn the different games to get a better idea which one to get. Thanks.

Which one(s) do you recommend I start playing? Which are the most common, fun or popular titles?

#41 6 years ago

There are several different types, some require a bit more patience to get the hang of. I prefer Magic Screen and Magic Squares games, but everyone's taste is different.

I'd suggest a game like Night Club - easy to understand, but enough going on that it'll keep your attention until you win. Not so much going on that it'll be overwhelming.

Your basic goal is to get three, four, or five in a row.

Let us know what you think!

#42 6 years ago

Here is a screenshot showing the available games for download/play. Which ones would be good? Night Club isn't one of the available games.

I installed Bingo Gameroom and played Beach Beauty. Very cool and it's free but you can donate and I plan to do that.

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 4.27.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-27 at 4.27.21 PM (resized).png

#43 6 years ago

Sorry about that, I thought he had already done Night Club.

Cool! Beach Beauty is a fun, but difficult game (at least, for me). The wild pockets allow you to reposition the number into any corresponding colored number on the backglass, which allows me to make some spectacular errors in judgement.

Big Show is similar to Night Club, but has three different colors (triple deck scoring) - the three colors correspond to connective lines on the bingo card.

You may also wish to try Miss America Deluxe, Double Header, and when you're ready for something completely different, County Fair.

I am about as far from impartial as you can get, but I'd say most in his list are very good games.

#44 6 years ago

hey steve,

the way you took out the number panel behind the screen works - and is easier - but you need to be careful not to scratch the ink on the back side when wiggling out the panel.

the paper stapled in the game says to pop open the latches that are covering slots in the upper and lower screen track and remove slats from the track.

to do that, it's easiest to hold in the screen index arm and just grab the screen with your fingers in the holes. Drag the screen left (looking at the back side of the unit) so the end slat pegs are at the now-open notches and lift the red slat out. Drag the screen right and keep removing slats. You have to lift up the screen end to clear the relay bank, and wind up with something like the image below.

the idea is to make the orange end of the screen move to where you show it in your pic - over the rightmost column or two of numbers - but not have the red end of the screen coming in from the left. Just don't drag the screen past the rightmost column of numbers - you'll put a lot of stress on the wiring on the screen unit wiper plate.

the non-OK games have less screen slats, so there's no track notches and your write-up is the method for those....the slat gap is bigger and lets you get the number panel out easily.

golden gate/silver sails are exceptions - they have slats all the way around and you need to remove a section of slats that are screwed in place.

screen_remove (resized).jpgscreen_remove (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago
    Quoted from baldtwit:

hey steve,
    the way you took out the number panel behind the screen works - and is easier - but you need to be careful not to scratch the ink on the back side when wiggling out the panel.
    the paper stapled in the game says to pop open the latches that are covering slots in the upper and lower screen track and remove slats from the track.

I have a CAN CAN OK game. I have tried both ways. It is much easier to do the bulb change from the front. Yes you must be careful not to scratch the back of the number plate. There is plenty of room to get the number plate out on my game.

#46 6 years ago

Check out my "Checking and replacing lamps" post
    That is how I did it going right by the Bally info card in the
    (Bikini) machine.
    I added a few tidbits I found during the process!
    Terry K

#47 6 years ago

Here is a screenshot showing the available games for download/play. Which ones would be good? Night Club isn't one of the available games.
    I installed Bingo Gameroom and played Beach Beauty. Very cool and it's free but you can donate and I plan to do that.

Try Palm Springs - I had that game and it was very fun to play. The Hold feature is very cool.

#48 6 years ago

First thing I notice when I play these Bingo Gameroom bingos is I can't nudge! Is there a lot of nudging with the real life bingo machines trying to get the ball to the holes you want?

Also does anyone know which bingos are set up at PHOF? I saw 2 or 3 of them available for play but didn't have time to take note of the names or try them out. I'd like to learn to play the same bingos on Bingo Gameroom that PHOF has before playing the real ones.

Quoted from bingopodcast:

Sorry about that, I thought he had already done Night Club.

Cool! Beach Beauty is a fun, but difficult game (at least, for me). The wild pockets allow you to reposition the number into any corresponding colored number on the backglass, which allows me to make some spectacular errors in judgement.

Big Show is similar to Night Club, but has three different colors (triple deck scoring) - the three colors correspond to connective lines on the bingo card.

You may also wish to try Miss America Deluxe, Double Header, and when you're ready for something completely different, County Fair.

I am about as far from impartial as you can get, but I'd say most in his list are very good games.

I'll give the games you recommended a try. I haven't won a game on Beach Beauty so it's not easy!

Quoted from NoQuarters:

Try Palm Springs - I had that game and it was very fun to play. The Hold feature is very cool.

I'll give that one a try too.

#49 6 years ago

Is there a lot of nudging with the real life bingo machines trying to get the ball to the holes you want?

Yes, I believe in Joop's sims, you use the arrow keys to nudge. The trick is nudging or pulling enough to get the ball to go where you want without tilting and losing your game.

When I went last year, they had a Twin Joker (not really a bingo as it doesn't have credits - a two player bingo-esque novelty) and a Miss America Supreme. Not sure if there are more available.

#50 6 years ago

I didn't know about nudging with the arrow keys! Very cool.

There is a Miss America Deluxe. Seems to be the same game. I'm going to practice with it for my next PHOF visit lol.

Screen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.07.09 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-01-30 at 11.07.09 PM (resized).png

There are 53 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-your-bingo-games-tips-for-the-newbie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.