image-21.jpg
image-194.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image-159.jpg
image-357.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

A friend of mine has an EBD he has had for a while in storage that needs a little TLC to get it back to its former glory. I gladly offered to do the dirty work, I really like shopping out games and had none in my line up that needed it. This is in no way a full restore, more like a shop job. This thread is mostly so my friend can watch the progress.

I also do have some questions, so help will be asked for.

Playfield in great shape! Does have some wear, but inserts are nice and level and Mylar still nice and smooth, this games just getting a good cleaning.

Backglass looks amazing! I meant to ask if it's a CPR repro cause it looks gorgeous, it must be.

Plays 100%, and it's a fun game! I waited a week before starting the year down to play it a bunch. I like to do that so I can compare and contrast how it plays later when it's cleaned.

Flippers are strong! Dont think they need a full rebuild, I'm thinking just sleeves and springs.

There are some insert lights out, initial investigation shows a burnt connector on the lamp driver board. Parts are ordered and that's what I will do first and see if that's the fix.

Here's a few pics of the dirty playfield for later comparison.

image-357.jpgimage-357.jpg
image-159.jpgimage-159.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Here's that burnt connector, the only one I found in the back box. My friend also gave me a new Molex crimper so now I have a good excuse to use it!

image.jpgimage.jpg
#3 9 years ago

One more pic, this definitely looks wrong and according to the manual the rubber goes in the classic triangle shape between all the posts. Most likely someone did not have a small enough rubber. What I want to double check is if the metal post on the far left is the correct one. Can anyone check for me on theirs?

image.jpgimage.jpg
#4 9 years ago

mine has the same post and the correct triangle rubber install

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

mine has the same post and the correct triangle rubber install

Thank you sir!

#6 9 years ago

This looks like it'll be a fun post, I'm adding it to my favorites.

I do the same thing, I play the game for a while for a good comparison. I also make sure I have everything working 100% before I start the tear down. Good luck.

#7 9 years ago

Thanks dbpbandit! Yep, everything working 100% except five insert lights which I suspect is due to that burnt connector. This teardown feels so easy since my others were hurricane, funhouse, and f-14!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

Thanks dbpbandit! Yep, everything working 100% except five insert lights which I suspect is due to that burnt connector. This teardown feels so easy since my others were Hurricane, Funhouse, and f-14!

I agree, compared to the others this one should be a walk in the park.

#9 9 years ago

Got the playfield almost fully stripped, counted up all the star posts to replace them, there's a ton on this game. I wonder what game has the most star posts?

Hoping there are some parts vendors at CAX this weekend I can buy the basics from.

image-21.jpgimage-21.jpg
image-194.jpgimage-194.jpg
image-18.jpgimage-18.jpg

#10 9 years ago

From the looks of things, it appears this is the Midway 3rd and final edition Eight Ball Deluxe (aka the Classic or Nice Guy Machine).

What does the underside look like? Does it have individual lamp sockets for each lamp or are there some printed circuit boards with twist-in sockets?

The later 3rd edition Midway machines were the only version to have the lamp boards and also the blue star posts. All the other Eight Ball Deluxe pins (the 1980 original version & the Limited Edition) had individual 555 sockets for every lamp and used the traditional ringed Bally posts. The third edition did use the black apron and the score cards said "Limited Edition" on them too like yours appears to have.

The 3rd edition Midway pin also had a particle board cabinet with decals rather than the traditional Bally plywood cabinet with painted artwork. The backbox has a picture of a guy in a cowboy hat holding a pool que with a wedding band on his hand while the original had a ghoulish-looking guy. That's why the third edition is called the "Nice Guy" version.

The backglass of the Midway machine was a hinged swing-out style and is a little smaller than the original backglass. It has never been reproduced so it is not a CPR. Eight Ball Deluxe backglasses held up better than most so finding a nice looking original one in a used machine is not that uncommon.

I've restored a couple of these Midway EBD machines but my favorite is the original 1981 Bally version. This version is my second favorite followed by the oddball Limited Edition.

Everyone on the forum who knows me knows how I feel about Eight Ball Deluxe. lol

It's my favorite pin of all-time.

#11 9 years ago

I wonder what game has the most star posts?

I think Genie has 58, how many did you count on EBD?

#12 9 years ago

Hey gatecrasher,

Yeah, it's the third edition with the blank cabinet front and the PCB boards for the insert lamps. That is a lot of cool facts, you definetly love this game. I played it for a few days beofre tearing it apart and I gotta admit, it's really one helluva game! I can see why they made so many of them. My only gripe is the sounds, I think they don't really fit the game, too spacey. I think classic chimes would really class it up. The voices are great, and I figured out how to turn off the background sound and that improved it. It's not mine so it's stay in my collection is temporary, but I think I need an old classic Bally at some point. I have always been a huge fan of Night Rider, and it's got the chimes.

Hey Vid,
Only 31. Ten short and twenty one tall. Not even close to Genie.

#13 9 years ago

Fun fact about this pin, the previous owner before my friend? Rick Stetta!!!!!!

If you don't know who that is, do yourself a favor and watch this:

#14 9 years ago

Eight Ball Deluxe is a great tournament pin.

Here's my current tournament pair. I try to keep them as identical as possible (and they are very close). Since this picture was taken I have made the coin doors exactly the same and about the only way someone who doesn't know these two individual pins as well as I do can tell them apart are by the serial numbers.

IMG_2781.JPGIMG_2781.JPG

#15 9 years ago

Hey Vid,
Only 31. Ten short and twenty one tall. Not even close to Genie.

That's still a lot, some games have like 15.

1 month later
#16 9 years ago

Anyone with an EBD that can tell me if this little metal post gets a rubber? Not where I am pointing, the left one on the gate.image.jpgimage.jpg

#18 9 years ago

You can see it in this picture off the playfield, it goes where I am pointing in the picture above

image.jpgimage.jpg
#19 9 years ago

Well, since everyone's busy talking about the walking dead, might as well put some more pics in here to show my progress to my friend.

Printed new apron cards today, went with the classic ones as I didn't like any of the custom ones. Plus on games if this era I like to stay as faithful as possible, that's why there will be zero LEDS in this game, I did already put all new 555's in the entire playfield. Want to order another box to do all of the ones below as well.

Tray cards came out nice, the benefit of working at a printing shop, printed on 15pt velvet stock, nice and thick.

image-503.jpgimage-503.jpg
#20 9 years ago

Does anyone know who sells the" printed circuit light boards with twist-in sockets" as used in the 3rd edition. Would anyone be interested in selling a set?
thanks

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from pindel:

Does anyone know who sells the" printed circuit light boards with twist-in sockets" as used in the 3rd edition. Would anyone be interested in selling a set?

sorry I have no idea. You may want to go ask in the main EBD thread, those guys know a ton about this game:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/eight-ball-deluxe-owner-club-guests-welcome-as-well/page/2#post-1862750

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 199.95
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-up-an-eight-ball-deluxe-i-do-have-some-s and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.